Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Here's a common request I've seen over my years of working for/with small business. I'm sure it comes up in larger companies but anyway:

CEO of the company is jasshole@company.com and his assistant wants to send emails on his behalf. The assistant also wants to manage the replies instead of the president.

So what do you do

option 1 - create second mailbox john.rear end in a top hat@company.com. Internal users start emailing that address by mistake because they pick it from gal

option 2 - have assistant send from real address, create mailbox rule to move the replies to a sepcific folder in the same mailbox and have assistant look in there. then deal with that for the rest of my life.

I generally grant the assistant rights to the mailbox and rights to send as the CEO. CEO either trusts the assistant, or you don't and you do not grant this level of access. A good employment contract for the assistant is a must here, as they will have access to sensitive company data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

adorai posted:

Give him a second alias and set the reply to address to that. Make a mailbox rule to match messages sent to the secondary reply to address. Jasshole@ vs j.rear end in a top hat@.

Ah, yes, in that scenario this is what I've done.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Agreed, it's imagine the proper way to do it is to use a mailer of some sort, allowed to send on behalf, with a different reply to address.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Let's talk remote lockdown for a second.

My company has recently started hiring people who work remotely 100% of the time (or near enough). This is new to me, and therefore I have not planned for it at all.

Now we're also FIRING people who work remotely 100% of the time, and the problem is that I can not just take their laptop from them the second they get fired (i.e. removing their access to steal company data).

I'm looking at Lojack and Prey at the moment, any advantages to either? Or another piece of software completely?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I think the issue most of us have is that Apple doesn't give a poo poo about us.

They don't offer any easy to use tools to manage macs in a small business (limited budget) domain. WSUS is my windows example of this, or just active directory in general, or group policy, or, well you get it. Buy windows server and you have all those tools at your disposal. Buy Mac server and you have a file server that can let your users use time machine if and when they want.

They will frequently change and break things that are business essential with updates (which again, you can't easily manage), thinking about SMB protocol here. They flat out broke SMB2 a few versions back, and gently caress you if you had a Windows 2008 or older file server. Oh, you have a nice EMC nas? Too bad Finder can't index SMB or NFS shares. Hope you have a server to run Acronis Anyconnect to reshare your NAS as AFP.

Mac users tend to take their computer to the Apple store without contacting IT first, which results in lost data and more work for IT. They also love to use odd ball 3rd party programs that are incompatible with anything else. I spent 5 hours yesterday converting Yojimbo files to OneNote after we fired someone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a small shop, dealing with macs is just a lot of added headache for higher priced machines that offer zero advantages over a Windows computer.

Sorry, that went a bit ranty...

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

dox posted:

If you need any help with this kind of script, let me know. I have a script utilizing the Powershell Application Deployment Toolkit that uninstalls all versions of Office (2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2012 Click to Run, and 365) and then installs Office 365 (whatever version depending on the installation xml). This has proved to be a huge time saver as I am the "resource" at my MSP for Office 365 migrations. Automates the entire process so the user can click to begin and then forces them to restart afterward with a prompt.

Another vote for please share. I won't need it for a few months, but it sounds awesome.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

McDeth posted:

Is it a one-off case? If so, then I'd say you have the ideal solution. There's no reason to go out and spend abhorrent amounts of money on some virtualized solution or equipment for this one guy to be able to use Indesign from home. Unless you're expecting to scale out I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If so, the only real answer is GRID/Shield (somewhat joking here).

On another note, the 'Mac Only' shop has invested in their first PC Laptop! Yay! Say what you will about MacBook's and Mac OS X, the crapware is non-existent, which unfortunately, cannot be said about this loving HP EliteBook. It's honestly a joke; I'm sitting here on a brand new account having done nothing other than turn the loving thing on and log in and it's using 50% CPU.

What's the verdict on HP-installed bloatware? Nuke it from orbit or is it worth keeping?

I uninstall it all via a script I've written. I won't have enterprise licensing until next year, so I'm stuck with the oem licencing until then.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I asked this over in the Enterprise thread too, but you guys might have different thoughts.

I have an older file server that I'd like to use as a disk target for my backups. What's the best of the "free" linux based nas choices for this? The one's I'm familiar with are OpenFiler and FreeNas, but I know there are a bunch of other options too. Looks like FreeNas is probably going to be my choice, but I figured you guys would have other opinions worth hearing.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Happiness Commando posted:

The short answer is not very

10-30 users per domain, mostly on SBS 2008, all in one OU. We push printer queues currently and have 1 client set up with a vbscript logon script that iterates through the drive share security groups and maps network drives for all shares that they have membership for. I'd like to be able to do that, which is more of a vbscript / powershell question, I think. Basically I need to streamline our ~20 clients and work smarter (as opposed to having 20 workstations with inconsistently hand mapped server shares)

I can handle pushing a printer queue and setting up a WMI filter, but since we are super small business, clients don't have test environments for me to play with. I'm going to have to set one up on my own in order to have a safe non-production space for learning.

You can probably just look at it and figure it out honestly. GPO is really easy.
While you are in there, ditch the vb script and do exactly the same thing with GPO targeting.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This exactly. The hardest part about working with GPOs is finding out where the setting is that you want to change. Just make sure to test any GPO properly before applying it to a huge target OU.

And finding out "where" the setting is usually just takes a quick Google search.
i.e. https://www.google.com/#q=GPO+Map+Drives

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Adding an AP to your UniFi setup should be cake a long as you can access the software that controls then.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Just don't reboot it Friday, and come Monday say it's dead. Instant budget.

Go with the suggestions above, and have good working equipment. If they freak out over a couple hundred bucks, update your resume.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

ghostinmyshell posted:

What solution do you guys recommend these days for offline backups?

I used to roll my offsite backups to my many datacenters but now I am down to one as my company dumps it's illusion of being Enterprise and embraces Small Business. We have Veeam and I need an offsite solution for about 500GB or less of data. I would probably have Veeam backup to one server and then let whatever back that up.

If I can't get approval for anything, I'll probably end up taking a drive home at the end of the day because I don't know what to do if the place burns down.
Level
edit: Rewrote my post as it was poo poo.

Amazon Storage Gateway might fit your needs and would be quite cheap at your data requirement level.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone willing to share their resume with me? Or point me in a direction where I might see some modern "jack of all trades" style resumes I could crib from?

I think it's finally time to :yotj: and I haven't actually had to update my resume since 2002.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

sneakyfrog posted:

we are irked and have to spend a bunch of time unfucking your individualism so we can give it to some new scrub who gets second hand gear to learn on.

More than irked. Scrubbing tape and glue of a laptop is not how I want or need to spend my time.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I just got a casual request to make sure we're HIPAA compliant. I don't even know where to start, but we're a small shop with 2 IT people who have never had to be HIPAA compliant, so I can assure you we're not.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Backup Chat. I'm looking for some alternatives and I would love to hear a high level on what you guys use.

I'm stuck using Backup Exec myself right now, and I hate it. I'm backing up about 14 TB of data right now. Growth rate seems to be about 40-50% a year.
A bunch of Hyper-V instances (Microsoft Failover Clustering) and a ton of raw data on file shares (I think this excludes Veeam as an option for me) that is also setup on a Failover Cluster File Server setup. There's also some MS Sql and MySQL instances. Currently I do a lot of Backup to Disk, then Duplicate to Tape (AWS Storage Gateway VTL).

Please wow me with awesome alternatives!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Is there domain role (user) that would let someone SEE everything like they were a Domain Admin, but not change poo poo?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm assuming you mean for objects in your domain, like in ADUC? There are fairly granular security roles, just right click on a domain or OU, go to Properties, then go to the Security tab.

Sorry, it's actually for an IT guy from another part of our organization. He's going to take a look around and see if he sees anything I'm doing dumb (one man shop), but I don't want him making changes without my knowledge.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Set him up on a workstation with remote server admin tools installed as a regular domain user. He can review AD to his hearts content but not change it.

If hes reviewing server stuff, you can grant him remote desktop rights to the servers in question without giving him admin rights.

Yeah, that's the plan. I'm going to give him access to my management server, but with only Domain User rights. That should be enough to get him started.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Suggestions needed.
We're a small shop (100ish users). Everyone has a laptop, generally HP Elitebook 840's. These laptops span a few generations, and each gen is slightly different hardware wise. Windows licenses are 7 Pro OEM on about 95% of these. The newest ones are Win 10 Pro (OEM again).

We spend a lot of time wiping/reconfiguring these as they cycle in and out.

I have access to Server 2016, so the built in MDT/WDS might be worth a look I guess. Most of our end-user software is pushed out via PDQDeploy (though not all, and it can be a little slow for new/fresh computers). I'd like be able to just push a few buttons and have a recently configured image that matches the model/hardware install on these machines and activate properly.

Where should I start?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

The Fool posted:

MDT is the way to go.

The PDQ blog had some directions on triggering PDQ deploy from an MDT task sequence.

https://www.pdq.com/blog/mdt-imaging-in-pdq-deploy/

This is awesome, and exactly how I'm going to go. Thanks guys.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Since I started the discussion, and actually spun up a WDS server today, I'll ask. Does anyone have some good resources for configuration and image setup they could share?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm struggling with a WDS/MDT deploy setup. I have everything configured, captures work great, domain join parameters with custom computer names, custom driver sets based on model, etc.

But. Now that I have the domain join setup properly, the deployment fails. The image is installed, and the computer reboots from Litetouch to Windows.
Windows has disabled the local admin account, which means the install script doesn't continue unless I boot into safe mode, enable local admin, reboot, and then manually continue it.

I read that this could be a gpo issue, so I created a new OU for the domain join script, disabled gp inherence, made sure the admin user is enabled via gp, etc. Same thing.

I just rejoined my image pc to ad, moved it to the blocked inherence OU, updated group policy, unjoined AD, and kicked off another capture. I'll test another deploy when it's done.

Any suggestions???

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 10, 2018

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MF_James posted:

What version of windows are you installing? Are you setting the admin password? Is the password blank? I (think) sometimes windows doesn't like blank passwords and that might cause problems, if you're trying that.

Win7, I've tried setting the password via Rules and by hand. I'm just sort of undoing a ton of my automation and settings now to see what fixes it, and then I'll work my way forward again.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Jack the Lad posted:

Almost certain - from my third screenshot it looks like that must be it, but I've been through all the GPOs on the DC and the gpresult output on an affected machine and I can't see anything else touching Windows Update.

What does a gpresult run show on that machine as the winning policy?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm working on a Spiceworks to FreshDesk migration right now actually.
One thing I'm missing is Checklists. We have a lot of on/offboardings of staff, and a sizeable checklist for each one. In Spiceworks I can auto-assign a checklist template for a given ticket type; but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for Freshdesk.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've been asked if there's a cheap (free) and easy way to monitor a single employee's computer usage (are they on facebook all day, etc). I don't have anything in place for that, and my google-fu is failing me. Any suggestions? Even something as simple as "a screenshot a minute saved to a network folder" would do the job.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
We're all clear in the handbook. This is mostly "no way he spent 5 hours doing that small piece of work" type stuff. I think I've got a little utility that'll do screenshots for me. I don't need much, just a day worth of "what's he actually doing".

Timecard fraud ahoy, maybe

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone have any opinions on cloud managed / serverless antivirus? Symantec being bought by broadcom seems to be a clusterfuck. I can't even get license renewals.

It looks like both sophos and avast have decent offerings, but I don't have experience with either of them in the past 5+ years.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am trying to push for defender, but I think I'll get overruled by parent Corp. Symantec literally will not renew my license, so they're out. I'll keep looking and researching.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Just do the off-site backups. When your bandwidth is saturated 24/7 maybe you get to have a more fruitful conversation about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I think, assuming Windows, it'll just work. Can you hit the share via IP?
If you're using fancy clustering or anything it's more complicated, but not much.