Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

SneakyFrog posted:

active directory would be the way to go there. I assume you cant spring for even a basic (shudder..perish my vile thought) SBS Server or VM?

Server 2012 Essentials is actually pretty nice, and nowhere as hobbled and lovely as SBS 2003 was. It also doesn't come with Exchange or SQL server, which might be a big part of why it doesn't suck.

Comedy option: Samba DC :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

How is a document transferred via fax different than a document scanned and transferred via email? Is there some legal requirement to use a fax machine, is hitting the scan button on the MFC too confusing, or is there something else at play here? It's hard to imagine that in 2017 there's an organization which doesn't have email, and faxing isn't any more private, especially when transmitted over IP.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

I take it there is no real appropriate way for the IT guy to tell the accountants they are wrong and they should give me a phone.

If you're "required" to take the stipend and want a separate phone, then buy a suitable phone, write it off as an unreimbursed business expense, and use the stipend to pay for pre-paid service for it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You could set up your workstations to autologin as a locked down user account with a single shortcut to connect to the RDS server on the desktop/taskbar/start menu labeled "LOG IN" and train your users to click it. That would be fairly seamless.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I actually deployed pfSense firewalls at ${job-1} because our Sonicwall POSes wouldn't handle VLANs properly, but my boss wouldn't spend the few hundreds for commercial support, which still cost less than Sonicwall.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Doesn't Domain Users allow read access to just about everything in AD by default?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Why should I pay for backups? We almost never use them!

I just had a former small business client frantically contact me out of the blue 5 years after my last project with them ended to ask if I still had the source code from that project, and would I send whatever I have to them.

I was also helping them with their infrastructure in addition to the software development project, and they flat out refused to spend money on backups when I proposed it.

It turns out that I did have a copy of that source code, and I asked for a modest sum (less than my proposed backup solution) for the data recovery and the owner balked but ended up paying me.

I like to think they learned something from this but I'm not so sure.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'd say that depends on the provider and whether they're willing to plug your dongle into their hardware. Just ask, I guess?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Phuzun posted:

Sonicwall is pretty good

:magemage:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's pretty hilarious that we've come full circle back to the mainframe computing model. What's old is new again.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sure it's not one-size-fits-all, but VDI is applicable and used in many situations across all sizes of enterprise. I don't work in small shops anymore but when I was MSPing I did work with a few who went all in on VDI for <100 users.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Microsoft 365 should do everything you need. Change your FTP and file server workflows to use OneDrive.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You know the boss is gonna want to cheap out with the $5/user/month basic tier. The web/mobile versions of the Office apps may even be sufficient depending on what they do with them. The important bits for replacing the on prem server are the Exchange and OneDrive/SharePoint cloud services.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yikes, I'm going to assume you don't have much control over the software that runs on these "field devices."

For the FTP case I would probably get an inexpensive VPS (e.g. DigitalOcean or similar) to host the FTP service and script pushing the uploaded files into OneDrive as a periodic task. It wouldn't be any less reliable than what you currently have. You could also look for a cloud storage host that provides an FTP interface. There has to be one out there.

I'd still go with Microsoft 365 for email hosting and non-FTP file sharing though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Cheers Andenno! Glad we could point you in a reasonable direction, and that it wasn't a difficult sell to your boss.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The "dark" part means the fiber path is physical and your equipment sends light (layer 1) over it end-to-end. Your equipment could be Ethernet, Fiber Channel, DWM, etc. You choose the protocols and how to use the circuit.

This is opposed to, for example, a Metro Ethernet service where your layer 2 frames are switched through the provider's network over fiber that their equipment lights up.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

I am realtime teaching this other devops guy how to navigate linux in a migration meeting with 10 other ppl in it.

“ls -l”
“No sorry, ls space -l”

systemctl stop [serviceX]
*permission denied*
"it's sudo systemctl stop."

MustardFacial posted:

I also really hate it when ppl copy/paste directories. It legit takes longer to highlight c+p than it does to just type and tab completion

Hey friend, I see we work with the same people. I intensely feel your pain! Backseating a coworker who can't type and fumbles around because they don't understand what they're doing is one of the worst things. Just let me drive and we'll all be done with this sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Poly Voyager 4300. I was trying to keep away from Bluetooth but it's Bluetooth between the headset and a USB dongle so you don't have to deal with any of the problems caused by doing Bluetooth audio on Windows. Battery life is amazing compared to the DECT headset I had before.

The Voyager Focus is the same but with ANC if you want that. The usefulness of the dongle cannot be overstated. It acts like a USB sound card to your OS and even without the Poly software installed it will do things like sync the mute button on the headset with your meeting app and automatically switch between high quality music mode and two-way conference mode.

I've been really happy with Plantronics/Poly gear having used the same Focus for the past 4 years. I did take it apart and change the battery once after it stopped lasting all day, but it's good as new again. I recently picked up a Sync 20 speakerphone for WFH and it's similarly impressive. It pairs with the same dongle as my headset (can only use one at a time) and is full duplex.