Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also if you have Cisco year on prem, you basically need a CCNA on hand to work with them. They’re not as user friendly as other offerings. Juniper is the perfect middle ground IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Automatically having Cortana shout at you at max volume was the dumbest loving design decision.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I don't hate Win 10 that much aside from all the settings menus and the actual setup of it.

So, really everything that pertains to my job.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Fool posted:

Do you not use MDT, or some other imaging platform?

I mean, yeah, I do. But still all the phone-menu-esque Settings menus in Windows 10 are garbage.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Real q is there any other imaging platform worth considering for windows deployment?

Dell's KACE appliance is the true light and the way

edit-- if you're a Dell shop

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Let me clarify - I last used KACE 5 years ago and inherited it from someone who had done the config already, so maybe that's why I have fond memories of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

wolrah posted:

Optiplex-rebadged-as-a-Poweredge

This just gave me a really painful flashback of a DC/webserver/database server/app server all in one box that was sitting on the floor of the basement of a water pumping facility.

Luckily the building flooded and solved the problem.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

thebigcow posted:

Avoid Sage.

Seconding this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MF_James posted:

Standing up some new hosts and a SAN for a client, they are currently on ESXi 6.5u3 on their older equipment.

I have not worked with vmware stuff much other than admining a couple already running clusters; most of my clients have used hyper-v.

The plan is to merely move the VMs to the new storage/cluster and then rebuild some of the VMs afterwards (not my choice but it is what it is).

If I install 6.7u3 onto the new hosts, is it going to cause problems for importing the VMs?

Should I build a new ESXi cluster (datacenter whatever vmware calls it) or can clusters run mixed versions?

Any other gotchas/stuff I should look out for?

Not really between ESXi versions, I just did a big 6.5->6.7 upgrade and migrated hundreds of VMs between the two versions no problem.

If you're upgrading vCenter from 6.5 to 6.7, that's a bigger deal, but if it's just ESXi, you're fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Our VPN ran out of licenses so we stood up a second, different brand of VPN for people to use if the first one gave an error.

lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How are y'all doing big file collaboration now that everyone's working from home?

We have SharePoint+OneDrive for basic file storage and Office documents and stuff, but for big files (e.g. graphics department stuff) the options are either 1) sync to SharePoint (bad) or 2) copy to file server over VPN (also bad)

What's the least bad option these days

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've got a dumb question I'm probably overthinking:

We have an on-prem AD setup and use Azure AD Connect to sync it to our Office 365 tenancy (email is fully there, no Exchange). Now that everyone's working remotely, when users need to change their password, they connect to the VPN and then change it. But... most people forget to do that, of course. So they end up having a mismatch of passwords between their laptop and Office/VPN.

What's the smoothest way to idiot-proof that process, or is the answer "migrate fully to Azure AD"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Make sure AAD Connect is configured to sync passwords back to on-prem, then enable Self-Service Password Reset in AAD. aka.ms/sspr and aka.ms/ssprsetup

Would that change the laptop's login password though? Or would they still need to connect to the VPN to sync that part?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Office 365 question - I'm implementing Security Defaults for my organization, but after I turned it on I realized that users can't select SMS/phone call as an authentication method.

We like the idea of Security Defaults because it gives users a 14-day grace period to sign up for MFA instead of instantly locking them out until they sign up. However, some users don't have the option of a smartphone app to log in, so they'd need a phone call or SMS code. I know that's not the most secure for those users but, well, here we are.

Is there a way to either use Conditional Access and gives users 14 days to sign up, or turn on SMS along with Security Defaults?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

incoherent posted:

I wouldn't take away SMS for users unless we had solid alternatives, such as a yubikey and app total proficiency. SMS, for better or worse, is the trough that the horses will drink from.

Yeah, that's the situation we're in. But we also need the 14-day grace period of Security Defaults (which doesn't allow for SMS).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
How are people handling domain joining laptops when everybody is working remotely now?

Like... if I lift and shift a domain controller to Azure, can I domain join laptops without needing a VPN? I'm shamefully uninformed about that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

Ideally you'd move to Azure AD and manage devices with Intune. If you really really need actual AD join then you can deploy an always-on VPN using Intune and then do a Hybrid Join.

That's the goal I think. We're already managing devices with Intune, it's just... figuring out how to make our domain open to regular over-the-internet joining that I'm struggling with.

edit-- huh, apparently I'm just an old fogey, you don't even need a domain controller in the cloud, you can just connect directly to Azure AD.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 13, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Has anyone had luck moving a print server or other infrastructure related server (badge swipe, etc.) to a colocation over dedicated VPN? Is that a supremely dumb idea?

We're trying to minimize our on prem server load since we're moving to a smaller office later this year, so I'm just brainstorming.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
We have a bunch of hotelled office set up as resources in Outlook. Is there a way to set up a calendar (like, on Sharepoint) that would show bookings from all of those room resources on one calendar?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nvrgrls posted:

There are several saas things that do this.

Officemaps
Teem
Condeco

There are more out there

I don't wanna buy another product :(

But yeah fair

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
We have a new office we're moving into later this year that has a bunch of "hotel" desks where anyone can sit there, but we want to have some way of signing up for those desks. Is there a good cheap/free solution short of just throwing a bunch of Outlook resources out there, since that'd be kind of clunky for 20-ish spots.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
We have 2-3 design folks at our company, and just recently got them totally decked out laptops to handle the big Adobe files they deal with. They're requesting new laptops again because apparently they're too slow, but I think the problem lies in the fact that they're trying to open and collaborate on multi-gig files that live on a file server over a VPN.

How do other folks handle file sharing/collaboration stuff like that? We don't want to use a Windows file server for it anymore because the VPN is just going to make it slow to a crawl, and Sharepoint doesn't play very nice with Adobe suite software.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
We are merging with another company, and for the first year or so we'll be working as two separate 365 tenants (for business reasons or whatever, I dunno, that's above me).

I know Microsoft has a preview feature called "multi-tenant organization" which would be perfect for us to avoid all the headaches of Teams/Sharepoint/Office sharing between the two halves of our org. But the C-levels are against using something that's in "preview" channel. Is there anything else I have as options for Teams and Sharepoint and file collaboration?

I know of:
- Shared Teams
- Exchange free/busy time sharing

But like... that's not much. Sorry if all that is a little vague, but I'm just trying to do some info gathering, but the Microsoft docs are a little sparse or circuitous.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Another dumb question, but Google is showing me lots of unrelated stuff.

User had jdoe@company1.com, and now has jdoe@company2.com (both on separate O365 tenants). User wants all of their emails/folders/etc. copied over to the new email address, is there a way (or a recommended tool) to do that on the backend? This is the least tech-savvy person I've ever met, so walking them through backing up a PST isn't really an option, and they do everything through OWA. :geno:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh, to be clear, my company bought the other company, so I have 365 admin creds on both sides, and we own the data/domains on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah that looks perfect. I'd even pay 10 bucks out of my own pocket to not have to deal with it.