Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Beefstorm posted:

This thread looks like fun.

My small IT shop wants everyone to get some Microsoft certifications. My boss wants to buy the $1000 yearly plan for CBT nuggets for each of us. But he wants each of us to sign a 2 year contract to do it. Thoughts? Worth it? I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.
What are the actual stipulations of the contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The first rule of contracts is that a well-written contract should be beneficial to all signing parties in equal measure.

If the contract is a value-add for you that is accompanied by a raise or similar incentive, you should weigh it against your career goals, your experience, and how you feel about the company (and any future managers you might have while you're under that contract). For entry- to mid-level candidates, those certifications can be a big boost to your hireability when you do decide to move on. We really can't provide any advice without even basic information on what the contract says about penalties for early termination.

On the other hand, if this is a new requirement for continued employment with your company, or if you have founded concerns that not signing it will create a hostile work environment, that may be illegal in your state and you should check with your department of labor, attorney, and other employee advocates before signing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Sigh,

I'm at the hospital where my wife is in labor with our second kid. My boss has sent 6 texts and a dozens emails knowing that I'm at the hospital with my wife.

Pretty sure I'll be using paternity leave to find a new job.
I was trying to wrap up a 3-week project while my wife was literally laboring on a birthing ball in the living room, but then the company left me alone for 2 weeks and then asked me to take the rest of the week when I tried to come back. Sorry to hear that your boss sucks rear end.

One of my previous jobs had someone call me with a critical VMware issue about 4 hours before I got married. Our monitoring system alerted me first, though, and it was already fixed by the time they got through to me, so I was able to just yell "IT'S ALREADY FIXED" and dramatically hang up the phone

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Swink posted:

Surely there must be an ftp server that can use S3 as a file store?
https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse would probably be okay if slow

A lot of FTP clients natively support S3 though so it's probably pointless