Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I don't get why I don't see this solution literally everywhere: everyone in the office has a personal mobile phone, so give them an office number to forward to their cell, pay whatever % of their phone bill (if you're not already), easy peasy lemon squeezy.

People make calls from their personal cell, comes up as personal number. Also, idiots will just put their personal number on everything instead of the work number.

Likes lot of things it works great in a perfect world where people follow rules, but this isn't that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I am not an MSP in RTP but for what it's worth I had acceptable dealings with Carolinas IT in the past.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 10, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Places that have money: when things have new features we need or switches are the bottleneck
Places that don't have money: when things die, call in the Procurve warranty, swap in the backup Procurve

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What, you don't like having tons of firewall rules for no good reason?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Also the very obvious https://sheets.google.com.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

I've joined your ranks as the only IT dude in a twenty-ish user environment. Any sage wisdom you guys could pass down?

Automate everything.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sounds like that one is on you guys for not having the proper infrastructure to support your critical business system.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Clearly not because you didn't learn your lesson, that being sabotage the thing and make it someone else's problem also gently caress printers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Second RingCentral, never had any problems with them and we even did fax over SIP (yes I know) without problems for years.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I ran LibreNMS for a bit, it was ... alright I guess? I was using it with Meraki MIBs though which was a goddamn disaster.

Were I doing it nowadays I'd probably use telegraf to get the SNMP data and then use whatever storage and visualization medium fits my needs.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had a really good experience migrating my last place to RingCentral, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to them again. They also have an included video conferencing platform built off of Zoom that works really well and the Android/iOS softphone is surprisingly not garbage too.

Edit: only complaint is that somehow I managed to break number reassignment between softphones/physical phones or something wonky like that (we had a lot of user churn and number recycling) but it was nothing chat support couldn't sort out in like ten minutes.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 21, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
KnowBe4 is pretty good.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mllaneza posted:

it turns out that Crashplan had stopped backing her machine up almost a year previously.
[...]
We also weren't able to get someone made responsible for monitoring the reports for cases like that. Well, not 'we', I was a peon and the other guy would have gotten stuck with the work, and he didn't wanna.
No one checking alerts sounds like a problem that could have been avoided with proper administration on your end. Crashplan's reporting isn't amazing or anything but it does give you two separate options for reporting clients that aren't backing up, although it is admittedly dumb about the GUIDs.

Anyways as the saying goes, a backup you haven't tested isn't a backup at all. I used to do random restores of users from our backup provider (not Crashplan but same difference) just to make sure that the backups that were reported as completing were in fact complete.

We currently use Crashplan in our organization of ~100k and I've been using it at home for like a decade, no real complaints aside from the line I always drag up about the Windows client being artificially rate limited when I last used it ~8 years ago.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 29, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

ConnectWise Control (aka ScreenConnect) is really nice as a remote control tool.

The on premises version is also a single, non-subscription payment which is something of a rarity these days.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
While RAID5 is probably fine with SSDs given the rebuild time would be comparatively quick compared to spinning disks, if your goal is stability and longevity in a single chassis then 3x SSDs in RAID1/Triple Mirror assuming the controller supports it; if not, then mdadm can do the job with any number of drives. Alternatively you could just RAID1 the two drives and use the third for a hot spare if you don't want to mess with software RAID.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 18, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Fragrag posted:

We're a performance company that uses a lot of Unreal Engine 4, hence Perforce. We also use a lot of 3D scan data, which takes up a considerable amount of data in the projects so the cloud isn't an option. Especially because our site only has ~30mbps upload. I also want to implement a lightweight Git service like Gitea for smaller programming projects.

As a performance company we've got a considerable amount of props and assets, which are not inventorised properly so I was thinking of trying out Snipe-It as an inventory management system. I kinda brainfarted on OwnCloud, I just meant something with which to create a local mirror of our Dropbox.

EDIT:
We've got a couple of Qnap NASes that handle raw storage and backups, but they're too low powered to use for the above

Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of Snipe-IT: make sure it actually fits your use case before you go all-in on it. The only aspect of it which is really customizable (as in "supports custom fields") is hardware assets, so unless you want to track literally everything in the same category as computers, you're gonna be in for a bad time unless what you need to track fits in the preexisting field setup.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

bolind posted:

So CentOS is dead. I was looking at Oracle Linux and it looks had decent. Anyone got any experience with it?

Rocky Linux RC1, the realistic successor to CentOS for sane people, is out.

For production environments you should probably continue to run CentOS 7 until it EOLs in 2024 as long before then Rocky will be in full production. Alternatively go on and run CentOS 8 and use the roadmapped transition script to convert to Rocky once the RCs are done, presumably before CentOS 8 EOL's at the end of the year.

The steps below will convert CentOS 8 over to Rocky right now and are very likely future safe

code:
rpm -e --nodeps centos-gpg-keys centos-linux-release centos-linux-repos
rpm -ivh \
  https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/rocky-release-8.3-11.el8.noarch.rpm \
  https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/rocky-repos-8.3-11.el8.noarch.rpm \
  https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/rocky-gpg-keys-8.3-11.el8.noarch.rpm
dnf distro-sync -y

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 18, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Everyone else really covered it, but here's what I did when I was in a not-entirely dissimilar situation in Columbus, OH about ten years ago:

1. Moved all our stuff to Google Suite or whatever it is they're calling it now. The "not having to deal with administering Exchange" aspect cannot be overstated. In retrospect I'd use O365 but at the time we were already on Google Suite for a lot of stuff so it made sense.
2. Moved our VPN filesharing off the local server to Google Drive. Yes Drive was kind of bad (probably still is) but it's miles ahead of dealing with hosting your own server and requiring uptime on that in some random building in Columbus. Again, I'd use OneDrive if I were doing this today.
3. Swapped the business cable connection for fiber - that alone brought an SLA and uptime miles ahead of anything we had before.
4. Those few things that actually "needed" to be always-on and globally reachable were just moved into AWS. The inevitable "what do we do when AWS goes down?" is replied to with "during a societal collapse the widgets we make won't matter anyways".

The real important thing though is don't ever use AT&T for anything, and definitely don't use Earthlink unless you're on the way out and want to leave a big ol' "gently caress you" mess for someone else clean up.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 28, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Andenno posted:

My takeaway from your, and others posts, is to try O365 and SharePoint/OneDrive to replace all of our services.
Yes. As a small shop you want to offload as much time consuming/difficult/finicky administration (email, file services, etc) as possible to people who do it better so that your finite resources can be directed elsewhere.

quote:

The office is in Dublin, Columbus suburbs, not Columbus city proper. Fiber may not be available at the new location :cripes:. At least it's not a downgrade, since the server is currently on a residential cable connection.
So we'll probably go with Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) over AT&T, based on the unanimous condemnation of AT&T here. I worry that there's not really a "good" choice available.

Our office was in Easton just inside 270. The Dublin burbs don't look that far out in comparison. You may get lucky. Even if it does require construction, as long as you give them like 90 days' lead they may just run it out for free; they did in our case.

Spectrum is a reasonable choice.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 28, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Yikes, I'm going to assume you don't have much control over the software that runs on these "field devices."

For the FTP case I would probably get an inexpensive VPS (e.g. DigitalOcean or similar) to host the FTP service and script pushing the uploaded files into OneDrive as a periodic task. It wouldn't be any less reliable than what you currently have.

I'd still go with Microsoft 365 for email hosting and non-FTP file sharing though.

This solution is exactly what was going through my head as I was reading the post. Point DNS for the FTP server at your new VPS and just have the VPS do a cron job or whatever to push things to OneDrive via whatever mechanism is easiest.

Albinator posted:

I haven't used it, but AWS has an FTP service you can deploy.

Wasn't aware this was a thing but yeah, this looks like it may be useful in this scenario:
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-aws-transfer-for-ftp-and-ftps-in-addition-to-existing-sftp/

Andenno posted:

Wise words. We have crashplan and on-site backups, some hardware redundancy, and plans for server failure, but you're still right that it'll be a nightmare. We'll still be offline for 1 or more days if the whole server dies. The business won't fail, but it'll be a horrible experience for me. I don't have the spare capacity to cover every potentiality and regularly audit everything. The sooner I can defuse this ticking bomb, the better.

Just a reminder that backups you haven't tested aren't backups at all. Have you tried testing a restore from Crashplan to see how long it would take you to recover in a full loss scenario? You might find out it's actually far too long to be useful, which is what happened to us and why we ditched it for Backblaze B2.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 29, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
drat I love a happy ending.

I used rclone to copy our few TB up to Google Drive and it was utterly painless, so I'd expect that's a good tool to use for SharePoint and OneDrive as well.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Been there (second IT job after changing careers), was good experience. The main questions obviously revolve around variations of the scope theme:
1. Is this more "internal support" for technology departments or are you going to be doing "full company" support?
2. You'd apparently have your own budget - does that include hiring if/when additional support staff become necessary as the company grows?
3. Is this going to involve printers, phones, and other poo poo Dante rightly placed in the ninth circle of hell?
4. What's the reporting structure?
5. What's the long term plan here - to be the nucleus of a new IT department? A new support department? What's the end scope?
6. What's the coverage schedule? Does company stop all business at 5pm or are you going to be 24/7 on call for literally everything technology?

Then you get into the catch-all interview stuff:
7. What are the current challenges that the position is expected to be facing?
8. What is success in this position going to look like after six months, one year?
9. What are the long-term goals of the company?
etc.

A place large enough to have "multiple other senior administrators" implies the existence also of multiple other junior administrators, which also implies probably a large number of ancillary office staff, then depending on what exactly the company does, zero to hundreds of other random people doing things. This could be a lot of staff to support if you're responsible for the entire company and it's just you - you're already a support bottleneck just for the end user support, what happens when something falling under the huge umbrella of "infrastructure, AWS, networking, desktops" that you've implied you'd also be responsible for breaks at the same time?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 9, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I use Spacewalk for that but it's EOL and doesn't support any of the RHEL 8 derivatives. Will probably retire it next year, but we've been moving away from it for a while since it got EOL'd and we aren't going to pay for Satellite.

Our current process is to use an Ansible playbook that gathers host facts, dumps them into a CSV, then uses Snipe-IT's API to update any changed asset info, so we have real-time data on all our machines whenever we want. It's simple enough that we could include package/version information if we cared (we don't).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 16, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Could be a good time to broaden your skillset and learn Ansible? It's not particularly difficult to dump host facts from Ansible into a local CSV. Snipe-IT's API is pretty well documented too if you wanted to roll your own automatic updator yourself, same with OpenStack and presumably VMware. The Python3 CSV importer we use is linked off of SnipeIT's main github repository.

My rule is if I have to do the same thing more than three times a year, it gets automated. Keeping databases updated with information that is automatically generated by other systems is like 100% top of the "this should be automated" pile since there's no reason for human interaction between two computer systems (VMs/deployment/etc & asset tracking, for example).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 16, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Main thing with Meraki was provision and set up all the devices locally before you ship them out to the remote offices to deploy. We had more than a couple of times where a switch would just bug out and hang on provisioning and the only option was to RMA the thing. Hell of a lot easier to box up and ship back a switch when it's sitting on a chair in your office than it is when you've racked it and cabled everything up on the other side of the country and you're under a deadline to get the office up and running.

Used to be able to get demo accounts & units to test things with and make sure it's all up your alley before dropping 30 thou on a full deployment, no idea if recent supply shortages have made that more difficult or not.

We ran it full stack in all our offices and it was pretty slick, sounds up dexter's alley as well.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 6, 2022

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

wolrah posted:

I'm curious what hardware everyone is using for these kinds of roles, where you don't really need any real horsepower but you need a reliable and supportable server physically on site.

We use a lot of Supermicro E200-9Bs because they're basically the smallest and one of the cheapest servers I've been able to find that has a proper BMC with full remote KVM+media support. Two of them can fit in 1U, low power consumption, and all the ports I've ever needed out of an "appliance server".

The bang for the buck is a bit rough though, even though I don't need anything more it still does hurt to pay $500 for a system with a CPU that was bottom of the barrel in 2015. I would love to see something like a modern NUC but with a BMC from a major vendor.

We use Dell Optiplex 7070 Micros for this (print servers, etc). Includes Intel AMT for OOB management.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
AMT under the hood is communicating with Intel Management Engine which AFAIK is just Intel running a custom Minix setup on separate hardware inside the chassis, so in theory it should all be remotely manageable even in case of hardware failure, but not something I've ever messed with. It does appear to support VNC access to KVM, BIOS, etc. from 15 minutes of Googling at the documentation.

In our case we don't make use of it for a variety of reasons, but it does look like any other BMC you'd run across.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 11, 2022

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Getting severely out of my depth but I think an add-in BMC-esque card on the PCIe bus would have at least two issues: obviously it's all bottlenecked by the PCI bridge so a failure there would cut it off from everything else, and for remote power cycling, PS_ON# is part of the 24-pin main power connector so I can't think of a great* way to handle that.

The two really easy things though seem like they'd be KVM access and virtual storage devices. Aside from power control most of the functionality seems doable though.

* You could tap it with a custom connector but yikes.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Snipe-IT is pretty good for the price (free). There are absolutely flaws and bug fixes can be hit or miss, but it does get the job done if you can make it fit your needs.

The API documentation is really good too.