Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Kwyjibo posted:

I guess the passive PoE thing makes sense that way then.

My understanding of zero-handoff is that it sets AP's to the same channel and sets the broadcast mac address to be the same for all AP's, so that they effectively look the same to client devices. In our case we don't have to worry about interference since it's a warehouse and we don't have office neighbors. I can see why having many devices on the same channel would be a problem for a place with a lot of other businesses nearby though. Anyway, we didn't have a business requirement for seamless roaming, but figured if we can turn it on, then why not do so and save the time it takes to reassociate?

We ran into problems when we got above 20-30 clients with ZH enabled. Clients would drop connections, internet was slow as poo poo. Turned off ZH and havent heard a complaint since. Granted, we are located in the middle of a major metropolitan area, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Crosspostin' this from another thread hoping to get it in front of some more eyes:

I have a conundrum: The software ("i-cens") that our security people use to view/access video streams from our security cameras is complete poo poo. The PC that it's currently running on is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced. I figured 'hey, I'll just install this crap on another PC and we'll be good to go'. Nope, the software will install, but when it connects to our lovely chinese dvrs (made by some company called Eyemax), the streams just show up as black squares. The streams are working perfectly fine when viewed through a browser, but that aint good enough for the security staff, they dont want to learn anything new and the browser window doesnt let them view enough cameras at once. The funny thing is, when using i-cens, you can look at past recordings and they show up perfectly normal, the problem only happens with the live streams. I've installed the software on 3 different PCs, all with the same result. I've contacted Eyemax and they pointed me to a fix (copy a provided .ini file to c:\windows, overwriting their existing one) but it doesnt fix poo poo.

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Thanks for all the recommendations. I somehow got the software working on another PC, so I'll just stick with that. I have no clue what I did to make it work so let's hope this new PC lasts awhile.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

frogbert posted:

Could try disabling Aero. What kind of video card do they have in the working machine vs the new ones?

Couldnt tell ya...that would require walking over to that machine and then having to listen to the user bitching about "wheres mah new screen??". On the 3 machines I tested, they were all initially using Intel video chipsets. I installed a random Geforce card into one of them on the off chance that the software just didnt like Intel chipsets, but the problem persisted. Tried 3 different driver versions on that one too.
Oh well, it's working now so I'm not gonna push my luck and mess with it.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I do static IPs so that all my printers can be close to each other in IP range. How often are you guys changing printer IP addresses lmao.

I only have like at most 6 printers per company I work with though.

I have one particular building with 7 printers...for 25 users. I hate that building.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Awhile back we acquired another agency that was on the brink of bankruptcy. The sysadmin from that agency was let go last week (he knew it was coming for a couple months, he was given ample time to look for another job) and I was finally able to remote into their network to have a look at how they're set up, etc before we migrate them over to our AD domain. Ooooooh, boy is it a mess. SBS2008, users have local admin rights, random non-IT executives are domain administrators, user accounts from people that left years ago are still active, workstations have flash and shockwave installed and there's even still some XP workstations. They only have about 50 workstations and I don't think that two of them are the same model, no standardization whatsoever. But here's the worst part, I was looking through the old admin's email to get a sense of his workload and the type of issues he dealt with, and I find out this POS was making 15% more than me :trumppop:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

For clarification: Microsoft will reset your user-defined default programs because gently caress you thats why. No you can't stop it and the current DISM release that you export default program settings from is broken.

Windows 10 is garbage now that MS has decided to tell people how to use it.

This and all the poo poo that they put on the start menu by default are two of my biggest Windows 10 pet peeves in the enterprise. If I image a machine with Win10 Pro, there's absolutely no goddamn reason that all that ad poo poo should appear on the start menu of an OS meant to be used in a place of work. Xbox poo poo, ads for games and other apps, all of that should not be there. What the gently caress is bubblewitch saga? Then to add insult to injury, they make it a pain in the rear end to customize the start menu.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

GreenNight posted:

We only use OEM Windows 10 Pro. No Ent licenses. I've spent a lot of time fixing Windows 10 for our corp by getting rid of the garbage. So of course 1803 upgrade via WSUS pushes OneDrive back down, loving assholes. Per user account too.

Thats another thing I love about Win10...updates re-enabling a bunch of poo poo that you've disabled. The seemingly random taking-over of file associations is a cool feature too. Yep, I'd love to open my .pdf files in Edge.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Deposit the printer in the nearest dumpster. Hand user a sketch pad and colored pencils. Tell them they are now the printer.

I've spent the last 5 years systematically removing the lovely little Dell printers that used to be scattered all over. I've done a pretty good job of it too, we're pretty much down to just the C-level execs having personal printers. This will be my legacy.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Our old as poo poo label maker finally poo poo the bed. What's a 'good' label maker in the $100 or so range? Don't really need any fancy features, just needs to print labels that stick on PCs and network hardware. It needs to be portable, I don't ever want to connect it to a PC.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 7, 2018

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

edit: quoted myself instead of editing

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

The Fool posted:

Because MDT is not hard, and you are already licensed for it.

This right here. Buy Johann Aarwidmark's book, follow his examples when setting up your environment, never look back.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Question: I have been tasked with replacing our network monitoring system, currently handled by software called Opsview. The Opsview installation works fine and does its job well enough but my boss has decided that It Must Go.
So to this end I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations. I know that Nagios is pretty much the 'go to' solution for this kind of thing but the last time I looked at it (roughly 5 years ago so maybe it's different now) I remember being turned off by the fact that pretty much all configuration had to be done by modifying config files, and it was also butt ugly to look at.
Of course I've been given a budget of 0 dollars for this project so I'm looking for something free that will monitor 6-7 physical servers, 3-4 routers, and a few dozen switches and APs. I really only need it to monitor up/down status, disk usage and to send emails if something goes down.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Quick question for anyone that has successfully used ADMT to migrate user/computer objects to a new domain:

When performing a computer migration ADMT is supposed to remove the computer from the old domain and join it to the new domain, right? So far in my testing, this is not happening and I don't know if I'm just being impatient or if I'm misunderstanding what is supposed to be happening during the migration. The wizard has a "Wait this many minutes before restarting the computer" step but my test machines are not restarting. The computer object is created in the correct OU in the new domain, a migrated test user account can log into it and it looks like the profile gets migrated properly, but the computer is still joined to the old domain :iiam:

Found this site that answers my question: https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/admt-series-11-computer-migration-wizard.html

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 27, 2018

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have Microsoft 365 E5 licensing then the Attack Simulator is included, can’t vouch for its quality.

Do you know if all the users that you run the simulation against need to have E5 licenses? Or is it just the admin that runs the simulation?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Having some trouble enrolling devices in Intune via GPO, following the steps outlined here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/enroll-a-windows-10-device-automatically-using-group-policy
I've got the GPO setup, AzureAD is all set up, device is hybrid joined, licenses etc. are all good.
On my test device, when I check event viewer, I see event 75, meaning that the device successfully registered. However, when I check Intune, the device shows as being 'co-managed' in the Managed by column (should say Intune), and the Compliance column shows 'See ConfigMgr'. Well, we dont use Config manager, and we never have so I don't know where that is coming from. Any thoughts or suggestions on where I goofed?

*edit*
Figured it out. AV software (Kaspersky endpoint v. 11.3) was blocking the sync between the PC and Intune. Once I disabled KES, everything began to work properly. Now to open a ticket with Kaspersky.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 29, 2020

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

We're currently using Bitlocker to encrypt the OS drives of about 100 laptops and desktops. The current setup is to use the TPM and also to require the user to input a PIN at boot. The PIN is the same for each computer (lol) and is stored in AD. BIOS is password protected on all the machines, and USB booting is disabled. Network boot is password protected as well. SecureBoot is also enabled.
I'm trying to convince my boss that using just the TPM alone should be adequate protection and would improve the end user experience, but he's insistent that "2 passwords is more security than 1! A hacker would have to guess both of them!". He did relent and say that if I could come up with a compelling reason or data that shows the TPM alone is adequate, he could be swayed to change his mind.
I'm thinking that having a good password policy and setting the # of incorrect login attempts before locking the account to a reasonable number would stop the overwhelming majority of brute force attempts and be just about as useful as a Bitlocker PIN that is widely known amongst users (and is very often written down and kept with the computer). I know that there's no 'perfect' solution to this and we can sit around and envision various attacks that could theoretically unlock the drive.
Anyone else have any information that I can use in support of my case? Or am I wrong here?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Print server migration question...well really more of a client migration question. Printers are currently mapped via GPO using the 'Update' option. When switching the clients to the new server I should just be able to edit these existing policies to point to the new server, right? Or do I have to set the old policies to Delete, then create new ones that point to the new server?
In my testing, editing the existing policy to point to the new server results in 2 printer objects, the new one and the old one. Same thing happens if I switch the option to 'Replace'; 2 printer objects, old and new.
Am I doing something wrong here or do the Update and Replace options not do what it says on the tin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

MF_James posted:

Pretty sure you can't remove printers with GPO, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but you definitely can remove printers via GPO. There is literally an option named "Delete". There's also another option that says "Remove all shared printer connections". I've tested both of these and they do exactly what they say they do.