Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Albinator posted:

Huh. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Mileage may vary, I guess.

It might be our size. I was with a 50-person org and we were 100% at the bottom of the priority list all the time, and it showed. I found out later their sweet spot was more the 250-500 seat clients (at least that's what one of the account execs told me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Get references from their similarly-sized clients also.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

16GB with M1 Pro chip :smug:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

IDK how many small shops have those requirements... There is a Windows Enterprise thread though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327309

That thread has the distinction of having the most correct subject line in this entire subforum.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MF_James posted:

Has anyone ever setup AAD Connect with a tenant that already has MFA enabled? I've done a few existing tenant AAD Connect setups but never when they've had MFA enabled and I'm just wondering if that's going to cause any weird poo poo with app passwords and such. Been having trouble finding info via google.

I mean, I'm leaning towards it will be fine but just figured I'd throw it out there.

You mean you have users right now logging in with MFA directly to M365 cloud accounts, and then you separately have on-prem AD with the same accounts, and you want to mash the two together? Yeah MFA will not impact that, go hog wild.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

IT'S TIME TO PICK A NEW PHONE SYSTEM :dance:

Other than Teams and Zoom (both of which we already use), anything else worth looking at? With Teams I'd use via CallTower or similar.

50 users, most WFH

These are my requirements

HARDWARE: MUST HAVE
Handsets (Note: while we must have handsets available for specific cases, we do not expect that all users will NEED a handset)
Courtesy phones (lobby, kitchen, etc.)
Conference room phones
Ability for users to sign in to handsets in shared desk situations

HARDWARE: Nice to have
Receptionist phone

SOFTWARE: MUST HAVE
Admin usage dashboard
Voicemail to email (recording)
Voicemail to email (transcription)
Electronic faxing
Mobile app

SOFTWARE: NICE TO HAVE
Single sign-on with M365/Duo
SMS capability
Granular usage dashboard
Call recording
Call supervision
Configurable music-on-hold
Support sub-tenants / separate directories

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

We have ~5 web browser based SaaS tools that are used a few times per day, but generally low usage. Theyre all in the $100/mo range. We have two people that use them. The SaaS makers will do things like force change passwords, require 2FA reauth, etc. if you're logged in from different locations and we work remotely. They dont really provide enough value to offer multiple seats.

I need a way to share these. It can be kinda clunky and at least one person will have local access to it at all times.

I worked somewhere where this was done with a SurveyMonkey account. SurveyMonkey only allowed up to three trusted devices, so whenever someone logged in, they had to authenticate (and MFA) and then un-trust one of the three devices. The solution was to have the MFA (one-time email) go to a shared mailbox that goes to all the SurveyMonkey users.

If you absolutely have to share the account, I would recommend doing that with a shared mailbox for the MFA. Yes it's clunky, but I think any other solution would be even clunkier.

And needless to say I agree with everyone else who said just pay for the extra licenses.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Pay 8x8 a lot of money, you can hook it up to Teams as well if you want.
thank you! adding to list

quote:

if you're happy to self-host,

that's a big no

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Also with 8x8, we had a credit card expire and they cancelled our phone service completely without any notice. Like, didnt even both emailing oh hey you're behind on payments nothing. 1 month late? Cut off.

I had this issue with our current phone system. Since everyone WFH and nobody brought their handset when covid started, it was like 2 days before we found out there was anything wrong. Ticket came in when a user happened to show up to the office: "can't make a long distance call". Turns out our whole thing was suspended due to FIFTEEN DAYS PAST DUE invoice. Give me a break.

I'm going to really really try to push just having no phone system. We issue iPhones to like 70% of our staff, let's just get them for the remaining staff and call it a day. Everyone has been WFH without a proper phone system for the past two years anyway.

Wish me luck, goons.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not a fan of people using their cell phone number for business purposes.

Can you tell me more about why not (assuming this is corporate-owned iphones with, hopefully soon, intune for MDM)? I get I wouldn't have as much usage visibility but I think I'd have enough visibility.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

carlcarlson posted:

For an all-in-one, fully hosted solution, RingCentral was pretty great for ~300 users over multiple locations, although this was pre-Covid. Not sure how well this would work for users logging in/out of handsets on their own. I'm also not sure about voicemail transcription.
Yeah I used to see ringcentral all the time. Do they still resell Zoom for their video conf solution?

I wonder how that works now that Zoom also sells phone....

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh, if it's corporate owned devices and those numbers belong to the company, then I don't really have any objections. You'll lose some metrics you might want to have, some IVR features, and things like hunt groups, assistant pairing features, voicemail to email, delegation, etc. But objections were really rooted around using personal numbers.

Cool.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe we get like, instead of a 50-100 seat phone system we get a 5-seater with auto attendant, and have normal people use cells.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

carlcarlson posted:

Cursory internet searching says that RingCentral built their own video conferencing app, which you can subscribe to separately.

Suspicious

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Nice one, thanks for the tip

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

But you know what, gently caress it, I'm gonna roll my own asterisk. My life is too easy.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Yall I was joking about asterisk I'm not touching that poo poo. The only good thing about it is that it forced me to learn linux when I had to janitor it someplace where the IT guy set it up and then quit.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I rolled out 8x8 in fall of 2020 and honestly, I've had a very positive experience with it. Minimal issues, kinda "just works". We have mostly x2 and x4 license levels.

One thing I will say though, is that their meetings solution is....adequate. It often trails behind platforms like Zoom and Teams in terms of features, and they are way behind in terms of integrating into other software/hardware. There is a lot of conference/meeting room hardware out there that touts tight integration with zoom, teams, go-to meeting, WebEx etc and 8x8 is almost always missing or not supported.

I'm meeting with 8x8 tomorrow. I don't see us using 8x8's video conf solutions but I want to see its integration with teams.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

We're doing corporate-managed and if someone wants to BYOD they can use Outlook app only.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If you're an MSP then look at who's gonna give you a good deal. I know at my old company we used godaddy because we could resell their SSL certificates easily somehow. IDK the details. I am not recommending godaddy.

Free tier cloudflare is good enough for the kind of clients that come off of IMAP on bluehost. I know cloudflare is generally considered Not Good for a variety of reasons but they're reliable and easy to use and well-known.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm about to do 8x8 myself.

Would've done a Teams-only but I need to provide phone service to subtenants and with 8x8 I can just give them the 8x8 as a separate location and not give them m365 accounts.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

bolind posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple IDS for Linux? We're currently running AIDE, which seem to still be able to do the job, but I'm sure something has happened in that space since my predecessor set this up in 2011.

Snort is the one to beat.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

High availability is my nickname when I'm on the on call rotation :rimshot:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Content warning: room reservation / calendaring software.

Room/desk reservation software is all the rage these days. However, we have a requirement that seems to not be a standard feature.

We have a building with sub-tenants and we allow them to reserve meeting rooms, and our office manager needs to approve booking requests. No problem, right? We went with Robin, which said they can do approvals, and turns out… They can only do meeting approvals if the requester is on the same domain and has their M365 account hooked in! Our subtenants are completely separate organizations with their own email systems, and are certainly not on our domain.

So it’s back to the drawing board for us… I’m hoping to avoid the commercial real estate / “WeWork”-type software because I suspect that will be way more than we need.

I'm told Eptura (formerly iOffice+SpaceIQ) can do it and I'm getting a demo scheduled.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I saw this but have no idea if it's poo poo or good

[ Insert literally all of the vendors here ]

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

And don't skip the next day onsite support!!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Why is Microsoft licensing so stupid?

And more specifically: someone who isn't me ordered a windows 10 HOME laptop. I want to upgrade and we have Microsoft E3 license, but apparently can't just flatten, install Win10Ent from ISO, and activate with E3 lic.... You can only use that E3 to activate Ent from a Pro license. STUPID.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nvrgrls posted:

IT'S TIME TO PICK A NEW PHONE SYSTEM :dance:

Other than Teams and Zoom (both of which we already use), anything else worth looking at? With Teams I'd use via CallTower or similar.

50 users, most WFH

These are my requirements

HARDWARE: MUST HAVE
Handsets (Note: while we must have handsets available for specific cases, we do not expect that all users will NEED a handset)
Courtesy phones (lobby, kitchen, etc.)
Conference room phones
Ability for users to sign in to handsets in shared desk situations

HARDWARE: Nice to have
Receptionist phone

SOFTWARE: MUST HAVE
Admin usage dashboard
Voicemail to email (recording)
Voicemail to email (transcription)
Electronic faxing
Mobile app

SOFTWARE: NICE TO HAVE
Single sign-on with M365/Duo
SMS capability
Granular usage dashboard
Call recording
Call supervision
Configurable music-on-hold
Support sub-tenants / separate directories

I still haven't done this lol

Our top contenders are 8x8 and RingCentral. What can I say, I like RingCentral's hold music because I'm a basic bitch. It's no Opus Number One though ofc.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If you got ordered a laptop with Windows Home on then is it not flimsy plastic garbage? Or do some OEMs let you specify Windows Home on otherwise good hardware?

Windows Surface Laptops. Plastic, not really. Flimsy... well,

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wolrah posted:

I firmly believe that the licensing schemes are intentionally designed to be both hard to understand and easy to subvert, so that it's not worth it to "optimize" your licensing to exactly what you need. If you try you will likely end up underlicensed in some way that leaves you vulnerable to BSA stuff, so the safe bet is to overlicense.

I think you're absolutely right especially with this Microsoft E3/E5 stuff

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

evobatman posted:

Once the user is out the door, for all intents and purposes other than legal liability ones, that mailbox is gone and never existed to begin with. Lawyers decide the email retention policy, IT just implements it.

I've been through tons of "Jane Smith is leaving the company, can you just keep her email open since it's what all our suppliers are sending to" and "Can you open Jacks email for me, he left the company a few weeks ago and I just need to check some documents?"

No, gently caress you, I like not being in jail very much and intend to keep it that way!

I'm actually having a call with our lawyers tomorrow to discuss this very issue. Right now we keep mailboxes indefinitely (as shared mailboxes) and it drives me crazy.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

For sure I want the lawyers to lead, that's why I'm talking to them!!! Right now we have no digital records retention policy which means we're saving everything. I think nobody asked them and they probably will have strong feelings about the whole deal, hopefully ones aligned with mine.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Scanning over RDP. From what I'm seeing it's not directly possible with the current RDP set up. Am I missing anything? This will be from a Win10 pro PC to Server 2012 (soon to be upgraded to 2016). I'm looking into other options (like scanning to a shared folder to then import/upload into the program).

Do you allow access to local drive from RDP? If so that’s a checkbox-easy solution

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Does it have to be an actual phone call? We use aiphone ix that is apparently sip compatible but we use it independent of our phone system entirely (afaik).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Small shop on free tier cloud flare. If I buy the paid version today, can I go back in time to see my historical visitor data?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

We have 2-3 design folks at our company, and just recently got them totally decked out laptops to handle the big Adobe files they deal with. They're requesting new laptops again because apparently they're too slow, but I think the problem lies in the fact that they're trying to open and collaborate on multi-gig files that live on a file server over a VPN.

How do other folks handle file sharing/collaboration stuff like that? We don't want to use a Windows file server for it anymore because the VPN is just going to make it slow to a crawl, and Sharepoint doesn't play very nice with Adobe suite software.

Our video guys work on site every day for this reason. When they work remotely they copy down the file, work locally, and push it back at the end of the day.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

See who's providing the last mile to your office. I have one branch that has "redundant" connections (ATT and Comcast) and Comcast is providing last mile for both....

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

2024 is the year of decommissioning on prem AD here :pray:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a Synology NAS with approx 25 TB of video that the video producers want to access remotely. They don't want to actually work on the files remotely (God bless) but they want to do things like rename files, move to different folders, etc. At first was going to do the Synology quickconnect dealy but our outsourced SOC has Concerns. We're all totally SaaS other than this thing - do I really need to set up a VPN into here for them to access, or is quickconnect fine? I can require MFA on it and Synology has something in the middle so it's not like the NAS itself is directly exposed to the WAN.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Can the work that needs doing be done through the built-in file browser web app? You could then expose that through a reverse proxy.

If you’re a Windows shop then Entra Private Access works with SMB so it’s worth testing to see if the performance is there.

Yes it can be done through the browser app (quickconnect) but they’re worried about it for some reason.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MF_James posted:

Probably because there have been plenty of vulnerabilities with that stuff.

Sorry but I really have to know your opinions on antivirus and security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

:golfclap: