Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KS posted:

Crashplan Pro for file servers or endpoints. Hard to beat the price.

Axcient is kinda cool for a small environment backup if you have some VMs sitting on a single host or something. They drop a local appliance in your environment and then copy backups to the cloud for offsite. If your host blows up, they can spin up your VMs in their cloud for DR, and you connect via site to site VPN. Cool stuff.

gently caress them for luring you in with a Pricing page that looks like this http://axcient.com/pricing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I understand MSRP vs. the actual price you pay, but if I have a limited time to scope something out and can't even get ballpark costs from a vendor (without jumping through webinar shaped hoops and hours of my time) then I'll just assume it's beyond whatever budget was allocated to the project.

If you aren't going to put prices on your website then don't have a page called 'Pricing', and have all the content on the page written as though there are prices displayed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was asked to do that recently before doing an MCSE and ended up pushing back and getting the terms reduced. And to be honest when I move jobs giving a grand back isn't going to be an issue because I will either discuss it with the new employer and see if they can cover it, or the increase in salary will be worth it.

This is for certs that you want to do though, and fit into your overall career plan. For random vendor training that you don't give a poo poo about then they can swallow that cost. Same for CBT Nuggets - it makes you a better employee, it doesn't give you a cert that you can go and wave somewhere else. It would be like being asked to pay for a new laptop that allows you to actually do your job in a timely fashion.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It depends who is asking for it, and who is being credited with the idea. Office Politics 101.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've not tried it, but Ruckus have their Xclaim offshoot now, and Zebra (used to be Motorola I think) have their WiNG Express products. I think someone made a move into enterprise-ish-but-not-$800-per-AP and it's forced people to try and get into that space.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UTS is great if you can afford it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I honestly prefer VPN applications vs. trying to explain to people how to configure the built-in VPN diallers. Especially if you are looking at using 2-factor auth since using that with OS native tools tends to mean "type your password and then put the 2FA code after it".

I presume you don't have an AD on-prem that you can utilise as the user directory?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The passive PoE is a hangover from when Ubiquiti only did WISP-type radios. Nothing in the point-to-point wireless space seems to use 802.3af/at. It's probably cheaper as well which helps when you are doing APs for $60.

The zero-handoff thing basically sets all the APs to the same channel which makes it awful if you are in a built up environment with other businesses around you since you will definitely hit interference. I've had the most luck with roaming on Aerohive APs with 802.11r enabled - Wi-Fi VoIP handsets can be booted off one AP and associate to another one quick enough for no drop in the audio stream at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Active Directory makes more sense than Open Directory since more stuff integrates with it, though I appreciate the cost to get going is quite steep once you buy CALs etc. How do you currently authenticate to file shares etc?

Meraki MX does work fine with Azure, it just isn't on Microsoft's list. It's just an IPSec VPN tunnel so you really shouldn't have issues with getting anything connected to it, at least nothing that reading the logs from your UTM appliance and Googling around won't be able to fix.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McDeth posted:

AFAIK you're pretty much limited to using OS X server in some capacity to manage patches/releases for Mac OS X.

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/integrations/netboot-sus-server/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McDeth posted:

Yes, unfortunately jamfs pricing puts it way out of range for a lot of smbs.

For 50 machine deployment they wanted something like 15k for the license and configuration.

Os x server is what, 100 bucks?

That's a free virtual appliance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What happens if you nslookup / dig your AD domain? E.g. nslookup corporation.local ?

Are all the addresses returned valid?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It changed again - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're right. Don't do ADFS, there is no real benefit to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not just on your network. You then need to make that network link redundant as well. And then the site.

No point having your email in the :yayclod: if your office building takes an extended power outage and nobody can actually log into their mailboxes.

If you're worried about stored hashes then just enforce a maximum password age.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He can't send from his real address but be immune to replies coming back to it, since anything you do to avoid that instantly makes his real address not so real any more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have never understood VDI with laptops. I think HP made a laptop thin client a while back that didn't have a 3G/4G modem in, which seemed completely pointless to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beefstorm posted:

I think your avatar pretty much answers your question.

Also, what is everyone's favorite task and ticket management system for a small IT contracting shop?

Most of the systems you'll find are good, ticket systems tend to live or die based on how well the rules are configured and how sensible the staff using it are. I really like Zendesk but there's no reason why they have so many service tiers other than to get you to pay an insane price for relatively basic features.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't Essentials being shitcanned?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair if my employer aren't going to give me a phone then as far as they are concerned I don't have one.

I'm going to carry a personal and a work iPhone for as long as I can't smoothly separate the work and personal poo poo on a single device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was more getting at the phone part as I still get a lot of calls. I need control of routing to different voicemail boxes based on the number dialled etc. so I don't get work calls on my days off.

I'm sure we will get there one day. It's the sort of thing I think a lot of people solve with Google Voice, but we don't have that here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Swink posted:

Thread title for any thread in this forum.

I posted earlier about deploying O365. Where do I get the installers from? I can only find a bunch of cab files that are downloaded by the OCT, which are the 'click to run' variant.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn782860.aspx

Enterprise licensing only (e.g. I don't think you can do this on the Business plans).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dox posted:

If you need any help with this kind of script, let me know. I have a script utilizing the Powershell Application Deployment Toolkit that uninstalls all versions of Office (2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2012 Click to Run, and 365) and then installs Office 365 (whatever version depending on the installation xml). This has proved to be a huge time saver as I am the "resource" at my MSP for Office 365 migrations. Automates the entire process so the user can click to begin and then forces them to restart afterward with a prompt.

:aaaaa:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bizwank posted:

I really should install a shower at work for how often I solve problems while in it.

A shower and a beer fridge. The best two problem-solving activities combined into one awesome experience.

McDeth posted:

Is it a one-off case? If so, then I'd say you have the ideal solution. There's no reason to go out and spend abhorrent amounts of money on some virtualized solution or equipment for this one guy to be able to use Indesign from home. Unless you're expecting to scale out I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If so, the only real answer is GRID/Shield (somewhat joking here).

Seconding that you have the best solution already. You are never going to be pushing InDesign files across a VPN at any decent sort of speed, and moving to a cloud-sync arrangement leaves potentially sensitive documents on machines you have no control over.

Also the guy can work from home and come back in the next morning and all the toolbars etc. are where they were left. Maybe tweak the power policy for that one machine so it isn't on literally all of the time but without going crazy you're unlikely to beat that setup.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 10, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy Dell with ProSupport, make hardware fixing Somebody Else's Problem. I would absolutely buy a laptop with a spinning disk and put an SSD in if it was my own purchase, but gently caress doing that when you have millions of other responsibilities at the same time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OneDrive for Business is so bad that the backend that runs it is being ripped out and replaced by whatever runs the consumer version.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have we done SMB UTM talk yet? I'm talking 50-100 users, 50-500Mbit type of connection speeds, VPN apps for the major platforms, and not poo poo.

Currently looking to move away from Sonicwall due to the products being filled with bugs and the support more or less not existing. Who's good? Current list is Sophos, Fortigate, Watchguard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just loving migrate to Google Apps

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gmail isn't a webmail interface to your own mail server, don't even think about trying to make it act like one.

If you absolutely have to run mail on-premise then Google have nothing to offer you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Host a mail filtering and archiving appliance in a datacenter, deliver to Google Apps, set Google up to route outbound back through that appliance.

You can't be responsible for people using random SMTP servers to send mail through any more than you can be responsible for them using Hotmail. Blocking outbound SMTP and webmail services at your firewall is about the best you can do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RIP that support case

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zakutambah posted:

It's just trying to convince those with the purse strings that the investment is necessary if you want anything to work right. Currently trying to juggle VoIP traffic over a couple of bonded ADSL lines, fun stuff.

:suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, small company director, the servers and network equipment do have to live somewhere where the temperature and humidity can be maintained at a vaguely constant level. And for maintenance reasons it's probably easier to put them in the sorts of cabinets designed for the task rather than just stacking it all up in a corner.

I am aware that you don't want any servers because you want to be "in the cloud", but that would require investing in your connectivity and not trying to share an ADSL connection across 20 staff members. Yes, it is going to cost money whatever way you decide to go. I fully take your point that you don't consider yourself to be an IT company, but you aren't a truck company either and yet you seem to agree that having well maintained vehicles is important. Neither are you an employment agency and yet look around and you will find employees.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://blogs.office.com/2014/12/08/office-lens-gets-networking-scan-business-cards-onenote-contacts-outlook/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I imagine in a previous generation they would have been the people not interested in having more than one telephone hanging up on the wall by the door "look sonny, we ain't running a phone company here".

Edit: These are the guys holding out on replacing a disk in their consumer NAS because despite the clicking noises and the bad sector count being through the roof, "it isn't dead yet". Gotta extract that value!

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 20, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our latest ISP of choice (we roll through different suppliers based on who is offering the best price that week because nobody gives a gently caress about being able to run a well-oiled machine through keeping processes simple and only having as many as absolutely necessary) have started generating order handoff documentation with totally inaccurate RADIUS details. Yay!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A company director within a couple of sentences of saying that you need to buy quality power tools if you're going to do a good job doesn't want to spend the £25 on a genuine Krone punch-down tool for his staff to use because the £4 knock-offs "do the same job". No hint of irony.

Small business, never change.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Milestone works with pretty much every IP camera, and is reasonably priced.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I know the smaller Sage applications used to just run out of a file share and the clients worked out a way amongst themselves of not corrupting things. This might have changed lately, I try to avoid Sage wherever possible.

Could you move them onto Sage Live if they have to stick with Sage, and Xero if they don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari