Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably you'd need to know what format the stuff on the tapes was in, and aren't they usually encrypted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SAS I think, the 8088 connector. Or fibre channel.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s a powerchute virtual appliance that figures it all out for you

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you have any control at all over the entry phone? Could you get the contractor who installed it to put in a suitable indoor unit and then forget about linking it with Teams entirely?

If you're losing DTMF then I'm not 100% convinced moving to a desk phone will fix it, especially if it's intermittent. Does this help with your situation?

https://support.8x8.com/cloud-phone...ng_active_calls

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having thought about this some more, unless you can get a phone that you can tell to do in-band DTMF (not aware of any way of telling a Teams phone to do this) then you are at the mercy of whoever provides the phone service realising that you're calling an analogue device and making the signalling in-band for you.

Is your phone number from Microsoft or another provider?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy a new number from MS that is nothing to do with your old numbers, call this from an analogue phone and see if you can send DTMF through it. I've been told by providers in the past that DTMF can get broken with ported numbers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm guessing the entry phone is a 20 year old thing on a shared entrance hooked up to an AT&T copper service with a phone number programmed for each tenant.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adobe talks like they know people have nowhere else to go for the software they make. Their official guidance on files is "lol only use local storage, what do you mean you work at a company?". But anything is going to be better than SMB over a VPN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I care about IPv6 but you might not. I'd also spend a bit of time digging around to see if there's a small local fibre provider.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Electricians seem particularly bad at ranting when people do DIY electrics but then taking a "it's just wires, how hard can it be" approach to data cabling and RF distribution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can the work that needs doing be done through the built-in file browser web app? You could then expose that through a reverse proxy.

If you’re a Windows shop then Entra Private Access works with SMB so it’s worth testing to see if the performance is there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

B2B Direct Connect is GA

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/external-id/b2b-direct-connect-overview

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Give money to Migrationwiz and let them handle it, it's a great product

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get this is just a figure of speech but don't do that, everything the company wants the company can pay for

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every PBX will be able to do a transfer using a shortcode if someone can’t install an app or doesn’t want to use one.

A mobile phone is a horrible device to use if people are expected to be transferring calls regularly though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I ever worked somewhere that moved off Freshdesk because the price was too high then I'd be desperately finding a new job before I learnt that I wasn't getting paid that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At that sort of level they should be more than happy to talk about peering links and the capacity they have on them.

If you’re buying 10Gb and want that capacity into GCP then you probably also want your provider to be doing Partner Interconnect rather than having everything treated as internet traffic.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 9, 2024