Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Could you use a VAR to image the computers for you? 10 may be too small a number, but that's what we do when we purchase machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What do you do if a user gets a virus and needs machine reimaged?

We provided the original PXE image to the vendor, so we can manually reimage if needed. Just saves initial setup time, really. They also asset tag and unbox for us. I guess it may be more trouble than it's worth for small purchases, I subscribe to this thread because we're a mid-sized shop with a small budget :shobon:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

$80 for a cloud key, aka headless controller for your router and APs that you can access from LAN or WAN

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah that's kind of unfortunate :-/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm rolling out FreshService this week! We're starting from scratch though, because there's very little useful information in older tickets and also some comments that clients probably shouldn't see. As others said, no reason not to let the Track-IT vm stay up for a few months just in case.

Good luck in your search, I don't remember why but we didn't trial Zendesk or Zoho so I can't really comment there.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

redeyes posted:

Google Apps.. contact sharing. Christ.

I mean, seriously. How is this still a thing and apparently not a priority? It boggles the mind :psyduck:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

stevewm posted:

I see this mentioned a lot for GSuite.. What problems exactly do people have with this part of GSuite?

There's not a share contact button. To share a contact, you have to take a screen shot or manually copy and paste. It's dumb as hell

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Freshservice here. It's expensive but works well. Migrated away from Track-IT a couple years ago after that out-of-support install started self destructing.

All of our FTEs have an agent license, but our helpdesk is staffed by part-time students. We have a single agent account they share and that's probably against TOS, but only one person is using it at any given time soooooo

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Meraki if you can afford it, Aruba is good too though.

I recently put a Zyxel AP in my home and they have a cheap cloud controller option. I'm happy with the hardware and web GUI, 0 complaints.

FS.com has gotten into the hardware game recently, has anyone had a chance to check out their switching or wireless? Their optics have been drat good and drat cheap for years, maybe they'll deliver some winners there

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Do you have any clues on what is misconfigured? I followed a well-documented step by step guide for setup and it worked great. Didn't go into a ton of detail on what each and every setting meant, but did explain enough to get a basic understanding.

I have the link at work, I'll try to remember to grab it for you tomorrow

CloFan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 16, 2022

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hm. I don't know enough to answer that, but seems like someone very familiar with windows PKI would know how to handle that.

Here's the guide I used: https://mjcb.io/blog/2020/03/09/certificate-authority-windows-server-2019/

And there's a specific part where they talk about the CAPolicy.inf file, but doesn't touch on what to do if it's wrong.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We use Concerto for a couple of displays where our older Black Box systems have died. Also looking at Xibo, heard good things but haven't used it personally yet. Both are free/open source.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Use Veeam to offload to an S3 storage bucket that supports immutability. We use Wasabi, but Backblaze and Amazon are other options. We pay $160/mo for 8TB.

Replicating to a remote site is good, but unless your account and ACLs are locked down properly it wouldn't be hard to jump to that box if an attacker has access to your network. A determined attacker will study your backup processes and make sure those are hosed before enabling encryption. That's why the immutability is important.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

It turns out that I am in fact built different, but it's worse.

Is it too late to reneg on the job? Sounds like a real shitshow!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

wibble posted:

Thread derail, can I see more pictures of your cats?

:3:

Buncha pictures in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374&userid=68086

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've put in 3CX at a few locations, it's easy to manage and cheap to run. It's not teams or zoom if those are deal breakers, but there is a fairly decent video conferencing piece

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thants mentioned 3CX but dismissed the cloud hosting option-- it's worth a look in your use case I think, it meets nearly every requirement you have. It's a very solid platform that's really affordable and words perfect for SMB. I've deployed both hosted and on-prem for a half dozen clients, it's super easy to stand up and administer.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

ShinAli posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a static IP VPN service for teams? It would be for 7-10 people and has to be static because one of the vendors we work with needs an IP to whitelist on their side. Would like it to be unlimited bandwidth, but can work with limits if I can somehow specify what kind of traffic to route through the VPN on the clients.

Also would need to work with VPN routers(?) as the aforementioned vendor has us use devices that phone home through the white listed IP. Are VPN routers the correct terminology for this?

EDIT: not an admin per se but we're pretty small and being a sys admin has rolled into my responsibilities as tech director.

For the bolded part, you are looking for Split Tunneling.

Does your ISP provide a static IP and plenty of bandwidth? What firewall do you use? Seems like your asking for a service, but you could possibly do this with your existing setup through OpenVPN or Wireguard or something.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I recently switched from hosting DNS on-prem to CloudNS and their interface is pretty decent. I don't have any domains registered with them but it looks easy enough to manage, and they do SSLs too

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

If the school is already a Microsoft shop Teams phones is probably the way to go, what you get for education pricing is great. If they're Google, it's still feasible but you risk splitting your productively suites and confusing the gently caress out of your faculty

I run 3CX at a few locations, it's very cost effective and easy to run. The CEO is a bit of a nutter. Solid product though for sure, would recommend for that size and use case.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That is, of course, assuming you've got someone to run and maintain it. Not a full service thing like 8x8 or Ring, I think all of those providers are in the ~20-60$/mo price range

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have a colleague that really likes Zammad for ticketing. Ditched the paid freshdesk for it, but they were having money troubles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lol that literally happened, furloughed for two days out of every week for about 4 months. It was more of a case of having to move off because finance ain't paying the bills, so that they could make payroll.

It's a little better now