Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know I'm not a small shop admin, but wanted to stop in for Mac chat.

I support about a dozen Mac users in the local office I cover. Dell business class machines running corporate windows images are fully supported. Mac's are allowed as long as they can:

1: Make a half assed business case for one, or be high enough up the chain it doesn't matter
2: Understand IT provides limited software support for Mac and ZERO hardware support.

2 notable Mac requests worth sharing in over 10 years of doing IT.

The only 100% valid request I ever got was from a UI developer. A product we sell runs in a *nix environment and he needed Adobe whatever to do his job. Mac OSX was the easiest environment where he could use his Adobe products to do his job and rebuild/test our product.

Request Approved, 4K+ Mac Pro tower purchased. (this was a while ago).

The most ludicrous Mac request was from a Project Manager who lives in Visio and MS Project. He really wanted a Mac because he liked the way they looked and 'wanted to learn Macs'. I told him that Visio and Project are Windows only ordered him a nice Dell.

Has anyone else noticed that the higher up the chain, and the more money someone makes the more they think the company should pay for stuff? We had a Sr. Exec who REFUSED to buy his own cell phone, even though we're BYOD and everyone else buys their own hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

McDeth posted:

So unless you're dealing with something you literally can't repair, saying that you provide ZERO hardware support to your users in a SMALL SHOP is basically telling your end users to go gently caress themselves.

I want to respond to this, because I'm the guy that provides Zero hardware support to Mac users. I don't work in a small shop, but along with my normal tasks I provide local support to a small satellite office of about 50 people where there are quite a few Mac users which is somewhat like supporting a small shop.

Dell, HP, Lenovo and other business orientated hardware sellers offer onsite support for their products. We buy ProSupport and Accident coverage. If a screen breaks, a motherboard dies, a hard drive fails they will either ship me the replacement part, or send a local technician to replace the part for me. If a 2 year old Dell battery dies, I just order a new one and plop it right in.

Apple has no such offering. If someone wants a Mac the support options are call Apple Care on the phone and mail the entire laptop back to them for depot service, or make an appointment at the Apple Store, drive to the mall, wait around for a while and drop it off to be repaired and picked up who knows when. I'm not doing that. If they want the Mac, they can take time out of their day to deal with that bullshit if it comes up. I don't get paid to go to the Apple Store, it's a waste of my time. You can't even replace the battery on them yourself anymore and if they drop it, guess when they have to buy a new one out of their department budget.

I don't feel this is telling my users to go gently caress themselves. It's giving them options. They can get a 100% IT supported Dell business class laptop of their choosing. We don't limit them to any particular configuration or model. It just has to be ProSupport eligible. I have folks that choose massive 17" Precision Workstations, and folks that have 12" Dell Ultrabooks, all comparable hardware wise to everything Apple offers. By doing so they get full IT support from hardware though application level issues. If they choose to get a Mac I don't support the hardware or underlying Mac OSX operating system. The Mac versions of our software applications are 'best effort' support. The user gets to make the choice, which I feel doesn't not qualify as telling folks to 'go gently caress themselves'. It's more of a "If you just have to be a unique snowflake, here are the conditions of using a Mac in our environment".