Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Gerdalti posted:

Let's talk remote lockdown for a second.

My company has recently started hiring people who work remotely 100% of the time (or near enough). This is new to me, and therefore I have not planned for it at all.

Now we're also FIRING people who work remotely 100% of the time, and the problem is that I can not just take their laptop from them the second they get fired (i.e. removing their access to steal company data).

I'm looking at Lojack and Prey at the moment, any advantages to either? Or another piece of software completely?
Do they have company data on the laptop? There isn't a ton you can do to prevent a determined person (even with Lojack's BIOS module, they could just take the HD out and put it in a different machine) unless you've got full disk encryption on. If the data isn't on their laptop, just disable their user and computer accounts, that should prevent access to your servers. If you've got DirectAccess, even better, the computer will see your account changes as soon as they have an internet connection and prevent them from logging on at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

I know people recently were talking about One Drive in this thread. We have been abusing our webhost as an FTP apparently for the last few years and they aren't too happy. They have an "unlimited storage" policy and if you creep into the top 0.05% of usage they ask you to justify every file in relation to your website. My predecessor set this whole thing up, and now I'm scrambling to get a working solution before they delete all of our stuff (~50GB of product images, and psd files that should be in a shared drive instead).

We need some of this to go to outside companies so we need something. We have office 365, so we have one drive. The $75/month for dropbox is a bit much. I could probably get it paid for but it would be hard to argue in favor of it when we have One Drive already. How much trouble is this going to give me, and is that new version out yet? Is there a link to an article about the new version for business anywhere?

I'm not even sure the other companies are going to be okay with either solution but want to know what I'm getting myself into with One Drive.
If everyone is used to using FTP you could throw a server up really quick on AWS or a similiar cloud provider, it'd be pretty cheap with that amount of data. Also, if you're using the Exchange portion of o365, it has that large 'attachment' feature where it basically just uploads a file into one drive and sends the recipient a link for it, but that's better for one-off type stuff than assets people continually need access to.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 2, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

Is Amazon AWS really $0.03 per gig used and $0.09 per gig of bandwidth? I'm pretty sure this is going to cost in the $2-3 range which is great.
You'll also have to factor in CPU time for the VM running the FTP server (unless you're going to do all your transfers via S3 API), but you could probably run it on their micro instance, which is free for a year and like $10 / mo after that if you run 24/7 and don't prepay for reserved hours (gets cheaper if you do that).

Their cost calculator might help http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

wyoak fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 5, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Guys I need to rename my users from POOP\firstname to POOP\flast. I'm going to try and find a powershell script to do this, but from the end user perspective what will happen with their profile folder C:\Users\Firstname? When they log in the next day will their profile be completely new or will windows know to point them to the existing profile?

I feel like I went through this before when people get married and change their name but I don't remember.

Also if I do the rename during business hours (lol) what will happen once I change the name - will users get a notice to reauthenticate or will their session remain until they log off?

Any other gotchas?
Profiles are tied to SID, not username, so you'll be fine from that perspective. I've never actually renamed someone while they're logged in, I'd like to know too. My bet is like 90% of things would work fine but something would screw up.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Wiggly posted:

My understanding is that you can add Domain Computers with Read access (instead of Authenticated Users) and it fixes the problem without letting everyone see your GPOs.

This. Also, the patch was a fix for a privilege escalation attack, which is a considerably larger security issue than the information gathering that allowing (authenticated) users to see your gpo's might be. Just would have been nice if they had warned people ahead of time.