Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone got a good resource on SSD vs. spinners in a small server?

I'm provisioning a small server to run a number of containers, think intranet, Linux mirror, network monitoring etc. I need stability and longevity above all, not huge read or write speeds. My instinct is 3x SSDs in a RAID5, but I'd love to hear any thoughts.

My boss is a really good guy but a little stuck in 2005 at times.

We're a Dell shop, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

while you're there make sure you don't have sslvpn on any of them, per the compormise they announced other the weekend

Got a link or CVE for that?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a simple SaaS issue tracker that'll let my users authenticate with their Google G Suite Basic accounts?

Me and my partner-in-crime have been using Github's Issue tracker for a few months, and that functionality would be perfect, but I'd rather not maintain Yet Another Account System.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any idea why I'm seeing only 2-300 mbits to GCP Belgium, while both I and an instance in GCP Belgium can test close to a gigabit towards the same (3rd party) iperf3 server?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
User complains about Linux desktop PC freezing, becoming unresponsive. I checked the service tag.

Said desktop turned nine years old this January...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Recruit, hire, train and retain an employee: yeah we’ll blow six figgies.
Actually giving them a tool that makes them more productive: nah we can’t spend 2% of their salary on that.

Meanwhile, the hardware guys get labs and spectrum analyzers worth millions.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone here have experience with Dell Wyse terminals?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MF_James posted:

Some and experience is about 3-4 years old.

They weren't bad, probably better than the HP thin client, we didn't have a ton of hardware problems from what I recall. The configuration can be a bit of a pain in the rear end unless all your devices are going to be configured the same. Brain is a little fuzzy on the details now but I was using their configuration utility to drop a basic config on them and then we'd manually configure the connection based on the location the device was shipped to, but I think when the device rebooted the connection we created would disappear because it would reload the configuration you initially dropped on it and wipe out any changes you made afterwards. I think that's what the issue was, there might have been a FW update that fixed this or something, as we eventually started using only them for a bit, then I think got a better deal with someone else and switched again.

Do you have specific questions?

Potato Salad posted:

hail satan actually I like them compared to a few others, if only their management/patching plane wasn't obviously stapled together over 10 years)

what do you need

Cool!

So first let me say that I'm not married to Wyse, but we are a Dell shop, and so far it looks like they could work.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that, currently, we have about a dozen "workstations" which are Dell SFF PCs of various vintages running Linux, that basically act as a glorified X canvas. User starts a terminal, immediately sshs to more powerful server. Same with most other programs. In fact, I don't think my users are smart enough to distinguish between, say, a browser window running locally and one running on the server.

This is, obviously, a medium pain in the rear end, so I got the idea of scrapping them all and getting some thin clients to hook up to a VNC server. It's very local, the thin clients would literally have gigabit connection and sub half milisecond latency to the VNC server.

I realize most people hook them up to Windows or something, but I do see in the docs that they support VNC.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

VNC is a little painful. out of curiosity, what kind of budget are you looking at

Hahahahahaha......

No, seriously, the thin clients themselves, obviously, and then I don’t think we’re above throwing down some coin for NoMachine, RealVNC or similar. We’ve been getting by on whatever the stock, free VNC server in CentOS is, so far.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

is this is the kind of environment where there is zero willingness to pay licensing fees, so you require as good a free solution as possible?

do you have any centralized authentication infrastructure set up

Not zero willingness, we’ve specifically discussed buying a commercial vnc server if it benefits performance. That being said, we’re pretty strong on FOSS (sometimes to a fault.)

Yes, we have a pretty solid FreeIPA setup.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I need a new dell switch or two, to satisfy the following reqs:

Managed
Redundant PSUs
14 10gig SFP+ ports
48 1gig copper ports
Option for 10gig copper wouldn’t hurt

Candidates?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

S4048t-ON meets most of these requirements. 48x 10GbE, 6x 40 Gb QSFP+ that you can fan out into 24x 10 Gb SFP+ (I dont know how that works, if it meets your requirements or what). Managed, dual PSU, stacking, whole nine yards.

Hey, This could actually fit the bill rather nicely, thanks!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So CentOS is dead. I was looking at Oracle Linux and it looks had decent. Anyone got any experience with it?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone here use LTO tapes?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We use it for archiving, as we have fairly massive amounts of data. Also, we're afraid of the :cloud:

Currently we have a Dell PowerVault 114X with dual LTO-7 decks. Looking to upgrade to LTO-8.

I'd like to wait for LTO-9, but it seems like it's delayed at least until the end of this year, and if history repeats itself, there'll be massive media shortage for the first six months after launch.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
:suicide:

Let's say one wanted to do:
code:
ssh -X somecentos84server uptime
A not entirely unreasonable activity, I'm sure you would agree.

Broken from CentOS 8.3 to CentOS 8.4...

loving DBUS man...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Y'all think Dell has a bit of a Y2K problem? I'm tempted to find out whether they'll honor the warranty on my switches...

(Yes, a replacement has been procured.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Why in the gently caress is upgrading firmware on Dell OS10 switches such a loving ordeal?

Three weeks in and I still can't download the image.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dell support is loving garbage. Got the run around between four different countries. I just want a firmware upgrade for my loving switch.

Highlights:
  • Being given a number for DK support. Which had nine digits. DK phone numbers only have eight.
  • Being routed to some guy in, I presume, India, who sounded like he was on a cell phone, in the wind. Getting disconnected after spending the first ten minutes phonetically telling him my name.
  • Being on hold for a total of half an hour +
  • Being provided an Irish number, calling it, getting a very American sounding lady.

gently caress you, Dell.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Why are you talking to support? Just go to their support website and punch in the service tag. It'll let you download all of the firmware updates you want

Usually, yes, but this switch runs OS10, which is locked inside Dell Digital Locker.

I think the problem is that the switch was formally not sold to us, but to our vendor, and that has not been fully corrected yet. It kinda shows up on our account, but nowhere to download firmware.

Edit: PM'ed you the service tag, would love to be proven wrong.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

I tried grabbing it with my Dell Digital Locker account but it wouldn't show up. Now whether that's because the switch doesn't actually belong to me is another matter. :shrug: Ping your Dell account rep.

Thanks for the effort. I've finally managed to raise enough of a stink with the vendor to agitate the chain of like 6 persons to actually do something other than email the next, and I have hopes something's happening.

What's so loving secret about OS10 that they can't just make it available for download.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Got the firmware! (After having my vendor yell at Dell Customer Care.)

It's a 752MB tar file. It should be noted that it upgraded real nice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cross posting from the homelab thread:

bolind posted:

What's the recommended best practice for dual PSU servers if I have only one UPS?

I do experience the occasional power outage, but not power surges.

Both PSUs on UPS or one PSU on UPS, one directly in the wall?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone here running gerrit authenticating against an LDAP (AD, FreeIPA, whatever) server, who would like to hold me tight and tell me everything will be OK?

(Rant time: Google, what the gently caress, why you gotta reinvent the entire universe every single time you do something. I know your army of CS PhDs probably have raging boners, but just make simple software that works, OK thanks. Yeah, I realize the irony of me bitching about a free piece of software.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Subversion can suck my smelly sticky hairy wrinkly balls for eternity. That is all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Albinator posted:

I thought everyone had switched to git lo these many years ago. Did you just upgrade from CVS or something?

They have and we should.

I'm working, in parallel, to convert the whole thing to Git, but then the dinosaurs emerge from their offices spouting poo poo they read on usenet 12 years ago.

Also doesn't help that my users are not exactly CS PhDs. During my investigations I learned that some dude had committed a 1.5GB PDF. On purpose.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Has anyone here actually understood ssh certificates? I'm reading about them and it seems smart, but I hit my dumb wall/no one can explain things in simple terms.

In particular, I would love if they could integrate with FreeIPA, somehow.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I have to second this, including IPA. Last week/this weekend/Monday I had to deal with expiring certificates. My network admin was talking about doing it with me (I was going to just use Ansible to move them into place), but he never got around to buying them until the last business day. So I had to scramble to put them into place last minute. NA even the balls to ask me at 4:55 if I planned to work last weekend on a Skype call with my boss.

Do you have ssh certs up and running? I can’t even understand them/make a PoC in a lab setting.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Manager who shouldn't be entrusted managing a hot dog stand: :argh: "X isn't working RRRRRRGH!"

Me: :) "OK, let's take a look. Can you tell me this and that?"

:argh: "You changed something!"

Dude, if your attention span isn't even sufficient to answer the two questions in a four-line email, then... :bang:

I swear he's the Hydra. Fix one problem, he comes up with three more.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I'm trying to test Prometheus and Grafana, as a way to A. consolidate OS stats B. replace LibreNMS as our monitor and alerting tool.

What I can't really tell from the documentation is how I should construct this environment. Do I install Prometheus on every node in our infrastructure, or just the exporter? Does the "monitor" system use Prometheus to grab from all those exporters, or do I have Grafana add each node's Grafana server as a Data Source? Or is it just one Prometheus server getting all the exporter information and passing that one Prometheus server as a single Data Source?

Grafana is mainly nicer visualisations of the data; Prometheus can also display time series. Focus on getting Prometheus up and running first, then visualise it with Grafana.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone else have domains with Enom? They’re doing a “data center migration” and now our domain doesn’t resolve. At all. Even the MX.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

Sounds like you’re about to have a different DNS provider!

No seriously that is unacceptable, move it to azure dns or route53, the cost is negligible for what SLA they provide.

I will, when I can log into my portal and configure things!

nvrgrls posted:

Even free tier cloudflare.

I used enom for a couple of years one place and it sucked the couple of times I had to touch it.

We've used it for a decade without problems, but days of downtime is not acceptable.

Thanks for the name drops, both of you, I'll investigate when the dust settles.

Edit: The irony. When I set up peoples' VPN, I debated whether to use FQDN or IP for the endpoints. I concluded that us having an IP change was more likely than DNS not working...

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2022

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Today, our servers lost contact with our main storage node.

Because I had been migrating the DHCP server.

And said storage node pulled an IP (fixed via MAC) from the DHCP server.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The DNS entry was, naturally, fixed.

Edit: and our two other storage nodes were configured as one would expect.

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 21, 2022

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
DHCP is for having more clients (that come and go) than IPs, or for ease of setup.

We have (MAC reserved) DHCP entries for boilerplate stuff (compute nodes, workstations), but we only use it to establish identity upon install, then fix that IP for the life cycle of the installation.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

.1 is always the gateway.

I know that technically anything can be the gateway but you better come up with a really really good explanation if it’s anything but .1.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

network devices, iDRAC's, UPS NIC's etc generally go into dedicated mgmt vlans with a subnet of appropriate size (/27, /28 something like that depending on the number of devices) IMO. Outside of that you have things like printers which will both print and have a management page on the same IP, so there is very little you can do about that.

Agreed.

One shop I worked at had a storage VLAN, a general VLAN, a management (iLO in this case) VLAN and a BOOTP VLAN.

That was a lot of cables. And expensive in 10G switch ports.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Had my first “terminate ALL of this guy’s accounts IMMEDIATELY” email today.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The worst is also users who jump straight to conclusions and tell me what to do/install/upgrade/change. Without even making a proper description of the problem.

What were you trying to do?
What did you expect would happen?
What happened instead?
What are the steps someone else could perform to replicate the problem?

It sounds so simple yet people are so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The dinosaurs in charge think that this is easy:

• Procure 5TB consumer USB HDD.
  • Attach USB HDD to USB 2.0 port on server.
  • Fiddle with it for a day, call in help, finally get it formatted to something sensible that both ends can read.
  • Start copying data to it. Pray that it's big enough (Turns out TiB is different from TB, who would've thunk!)
  • Wait 30 hours.
  • It's now the weekend, nothing happens until Monday.
  • Ship the thing across the world with DHL. Pay through the nose.
  • It arrives at destination branch office. Pray that it happens Friday rather than Monday.
  • Copy the entire loving thing onto destination system. Should take about 30 hours.
  • Pray that it's not the weekend.
  • Pray the consumer disk survived the trip.
  • Do actual work.

Meanwhile, I'm clandestinely rsync'ing the data across. Don't underestimate a lovely connection running 24/7 for a week.