Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just got laid off from my NOC/Sysadmin (really sysadmin, but our titles were in the NOC) job at a very very large MSP datacenter, and honestly I kinda want to find a small shop to work for. So much poo poo is done wrong because "that's how it's always been done" at my old job and I feel like in a small shop at least I might have some possibility of the higher ups actually listening to me and implementing changes that will, you know, increase productivity. And decrease downtime. And maybe make stuff secure, because... well let's just say that I wasn't completely comfortable with the security at my previous job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh, so it's the same as my last job then. Figures - IT is always IT. :kiddo:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Yes but in smaller companies you can do things like have lunch with the owner, push CTO to change procedures whilst being in tier 1 noc, etc.

Yeah exactly, this is the kind of stuff I would like to be able to do (though I was tier 2/3, nobody listens to us even though we literally held the company together at times). My first 2.5 years in IT were working for a friend's business that was like 10 people total, that was great because you always had the boss's ear.

KennyTheFish posted:

You could go internal at a small shop, then you will never have enough people for the workload, and never budget to replace anything. management will also insist on admin rights for everyone.

Oh god I can only imagine how much this sucks. Even at my last job internal was such a fuckin joke, literally no budget at all. And the admin rights for everyone thing still happened, oh you're a salesperson? Well, here's some unrestricted LDAP access and let's make you an admin in AD too.

evol262 posted:

No, it isn't. If you can drive best practice, you can really help a small shop. Can you step into a mid-senior jack of all trades or SME role, though?

Yes, I am best at the jack of all trades role, though I don't know if you could consider me mid-senior. It got really loving old trying to drive best practices and being shat all over by the superiors with "oh yeah, that'd be nice, but no it's not gonna happen."

Honestly all of this small shop stuff you guys are bitching about happened at my large shop too. We were critically understaffed pretty much all the time, which sucks because I could have learned a lot more if we'd been able to approach stuff the way it should be approached instead of just putting larger band-aids over smaller ones. But it's bound to be worse now, I had dinner the other night with my old team and they are even more buried in bullshit than they were before due to the layoffs.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 18, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Don't get me wrong I love my Macbook Air (and would use it more often it vsphere had a fat client for it or if the vsphere web client wasn't poo poo (is it still poo poo?)) but if you're in the minority you need to know how to remain compatible with the rest of the org.

This is the bane of my drat existence (no linux client either, loving come on vmware!)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah a lot of people in science choose osx and there are very good reasons for it.

In a normal "office" type environment, macs are pretty worthless and trying to integrate them with the rest of the infrastructure is kinda a waste of time. But if you're dealing with scientists a lot of them are going to be using macs because they really are the best machine for the job, and I found this out first hand when I was doing physics research. You can just carry one laptop and use it to run all your simulations on, and check your email, and watch netflix, and use excel. Nothing else will let you do all that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
No it's just the fact that you can run any unix software you need on it natively.

Like for example the software I use to reduce astronomical images is like 35 years old and cryptic as gently caress but it's a breeze to get it installed on osx. Usually unix science stuff is offered with readymade binaries for mac users as well.

That means you can just have one computer and do all your work on it, no messing around with VMs or a second laptop or whatever for stuff that won't run on linux.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 4, 2015