Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'd suggest having them hire an outside contractor for 2-6 months during the initial setup period so you can have someone setup all the PC's etc while you focus on domain controller/ticket system/mail system/etc.

I'd suggest having some local MSP on retainer for when things get busy, or you want to take a vacation, or if you get hit by a lottery. Even if there's a help-desk PFY, having someone more senior who can step in and knows the environment is critical for business continuity reasons. With someone on retainer, maybe a few hours a month, you could bring them in to give you a second set of eyes or another person to bounce ideas off of, too. Building the reputation now means your bosses don't have to scramble later.

I'd also absolutely want to know what the actual budget is for the build-out. If they're cheaping out now, you're going to spend more on fire extinguishers than you will on building a solid infrastructure, and that's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

The only time I've seen a printer not get a DHCP address, it was because the DHCP server wasn't available. Because power had failed at the site.

We didn't have a time-line from the utility company of when we'd get power back, so we powered down the servers (because we only had ~2 hours of UPS time), and went home for the day. Power was back up the next day, and the big MFPs had automatically powered back up. Even when the DC was back up, they didn't immediately grab their reserved address. Unplugging/replugging the network cable was enough to reset them, of course.

Of course, since printers have otherwise shown they couldn't be trusted not to float off into space if gravity wasn't a distributed service that they weren't responsible for, aol keyword party's position is understandable.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

To counterpoint the half-dozen people above me, I did a "GPO Deep Dive" class a few years back, and it was pretty helpful. It went in-depth on security filtering, item-level targeting, inheritance, and common gotchas. After, I could speak authoritatively about the subject to my boss; both because I know what I was talking about, and I Had Been To A Class.

If your company is paying for it, go for it. If you're expected to pay out of pocket, skip it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I don't work for 1password, and no know nothing about their future plans. I'm just a mostly-happy user.

That said, it's a little strange what options the present. There's 1Password Teams, 1Password Family, and the stand-alone 1Password clients. Depending on what platform you're on, you may be able to sync your locally-stored .opvault file via dropbox (Apple/Android/Windows) wifi (via iTunes I think? So probably Apple & maybe Windows desktop?) and OneDrive (Windows desktop & mobile, and maybe Android?) I don't use Android, so I'm not 100% on the options there.

OneDrive isn't an option on my iPhone, but it is on W10M. Syncing my opvault file (which is their newer file format) is literally the only thing I use DropBox for at this point, and I would close my DropBox account if 1Password supported OneDrive across the spectrum.

Teams and Family are (as far as I can tell) the same product, just packaged and priced slightly differently. Intended for business and personal use, respectively. They're both hosted solutions.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Old Binsby posted:

I can't tell if you're kidding because i know dont work with large (amounts of) batteries but in case you're not :aaaaa: The Li ions are pretty reactive but i thought that is fixed basically ~100% by the time the initial burning up completes and its all settled down into some used up oxidated state. Many months up to a year of cleanup makes it sound like it's suspended in a crystal lattice of anthrax and asbestos. Do you know what causes such a mess?

Educated guessing here, but I would thing the reason it took a year is as follows:

1. Investigate that this was an accident and not arson (1-4 weeks)
2. Identify everything that was contaminated: Carpet? Subfloor? Walls? Furniture? Drop-ceiling tiles? Framework for said tiles? Any overhead infrastructure, like air ducts or wiring or whathaveyou? (Two-four weeks, depending on testing, labwork, et cetera)
3. Formulate a plan to remediate the contamination (1-4 weeks)
4. Get the plan signed off by the client, the subcontractors who will actually do the work, and any of half a dozen local, state, and federal agencies (2-8 weeks)
5. Actually remediate the problem (4-16 weeks)
6. Retest everything to verify there's no further contamination (2-4 weeks)
7. Restore the building to usable office functionality (2-4 weeks)
8. Argue with insurance companies: Yours, landlord's, manufacturer's (∞ weeks)

A year seems long, but not out of the realm of likeliness for what amounts to an unexpected chemical fire and associated cleanup.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

this is pretty much dead bang on.

If anything, I'm probably underestimating how much time was spent arguing with the insurance companies.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Stickerchat: Personal laptops have stickers. It gives them some personality, and makes them easier to keep track of, in case someone accidentally walks off with it, or "accidentally" walks off with it.

Corporate laptop is as plain and boring as I can make it. It's a black rectangle of work and despair. I occasionally think about getting ill all over it, because we could do with a little color about the place.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

You should know that it can be done and how to do it. But if there's no integrated HR backend because you're a tiny organization of dozen people, there's not much to automate. Using the GUI in that instance makes sense, because you're probably not doing it often, and the GUI can expose options you'd otherwise forget about.

But if you're big enough to have a comprehensive HR solution (either on-prem or cloud-based), yes, integrate and automate that poo poo. Have policies around off-boarding so an manager gets access to mail and OneDrive automatically, or can designate a teammate to get it as part of that paperwork.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

I'm pretty shocked the Google doesn't have a SharePoint or OneNote Competitor.

I'm shocked they haven't already given up on two competing versions of each.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Trastion posted:

What does everyone use for remote support of clients?

I currently have to use GoToMeeting and it sucks. It's not even GoToAssist, just GoToMeeting as they use that for meetings too.

I want something that will allow me to elevate privileges so I can do admin stuff on the machine. GTM blocks all prompts from my view so I have to have the remote person do a lot.

Also if there is something that can keep connected throughout a reboot that would be nice instead of having to have the remote user reboot then rejoin the session. I suppose that might be a moot point if there is an unattended feature where I can just take control without user involvement.

I need something pretty cheap though as we are a small company and they aren't going to want to shell out a lot of money for this. IT only spends money after all...

Bomgar/BeyondTrust, or MS Teams. Bomgar is more robust, Teams is usually quicker (since they're already working in it).

Bomgar is not cheap, but drat is it bulletproof.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I've got a dumb question I'm probably overthinking:

We have an on-prem AD setup and use Azure AD Connect to sync it to our Office 365 tenancy (email is fully there, no Exchange). Now that everyone's working remotely, when users need to change their password, they connect to the VPN and then change it. But... most people forget to do that, of course. So they end up having a mismatch of passwords between their laptop and Office/VPN.

What's the smoothest way to idiot-proof that process, or is the answer "migrate fully to Azure AD"?

Make sure AAD Connect is configured to sync passwords back to on-prem, then enable Self-Service Password Reset in AAD. aka.ms/sspr and aka.ms/ssprsetup

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Adding to the already great advice you've gotten above, I'd say make sure you standardize on business-line laptops, with good warranties. There's a distinct quality difference between home and commercial laptops, and getting good warranties so you don't have to worry about hardware failures will pay invisible dividends in terms of avoiding lost work and IT reputational damage. Lean on your non-profit status with vendors to get whatever discounts you can. I don't know if TechSoup is still a thing, but look into that (or its successor). And congrats!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Ughhh I got the dreaded “can you buy us a printer” message today for one of our new offices.

I really don’t want to be in the printer tech support business, nor do I want to get a $10,000/year 30-year lease on a Xerox machine.

Anyone have a good recommendation for the most basic printer for an office that I am not local to?

Don't say "No", just make "Yes" very expensive.

In this case, you do actually want a four-digit lease on a big-rear end multi-function printer/scanner/fax/copier, because that lease will include support and supplies.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I don't think APC has ever met a standard they didn't comprehensively gently caress over and reimplement in the dumbest possible way. I'm surprised they haven't developed some alternative to AC and DC power yet.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

To be clear, have you visually inspected all the appropriate connections to ensure they're all solid, tight, and in good shape? A loose connection or some corrosion might cause something like this. It may be something you need an actual electrician to check, it may be something you can get eyes on.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Tapedump posted:

Thank you all for the replies, everyone. I have not been there to check physical connections yet. I was rather hoping the issue wasn't the UPS and therefore not directly my responsibility.

Did I mention this was at a 40+ employee electrician's shop? I'm headed there Friday to look closer at what's connected and how it's connected.

I'll report back if there's anything note/cringeworthy.

Thanks again!

Before, I was thinking there was a chance the UPS was just flaking out, and something being loose/corroded was just the cheapest/easiest thing to correct.

Now I'm sure it's not the UPS flaking out.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

I'm actually having a call with our lawyers tomorrow to discuss this very issue. Right now we keep mailboxes indefinitely (as shared mailboxes) and it drives me crazy.

This is definitely an area where you want Legal to lead. Certain industries have special rules around data retention. The most common I'm familiar with is 7 years, but certain laws allow shorter or require longer retention policies. For example, some areas of civil engineering required 50 years (!) of certain information to be retained.

On the other side, retaining information longer than legally required can be a liability. If you don't have a policy that's backed up by technological measures, courts and opposing council can drag you behind the woodshed to pull data that should have been deleted.

Usual caveats: I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. Consult your legal team. If you don't have a good relationship with them, commit to fixing that ASAP.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

For sure I want the lawyers to lead, that's why I'm talking to them!!! Right now we have no digital records retention policy which means we're saving everything. I think nobody asked them and they probably will have strong feelings about the whole deal, hopefully ones aligned with mine.

Sorry, for clarity I was encouraging your path, not trying to correct you.

Good luck. You've got a long road ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, WordPress should be able to do LetsEncrypt either natively or via a plugin or possibly a GCP component.

If you actually need full OV, the only difference between tier 1 providers is price.

LetsEncrypt functionally requires automation, so follow that path instead of dropping out and moving on as soon as you have a cert. LE certs are only valid for 90 days, and expect quick rotation.