Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Beefstorm posted:

This thread looks like fun.

My small IT shop wants everyone to get some Microsoft certifications. My boss wants to buy the $1000 yearly plan for CBT nuggets for each of us. But he wants each of us to sign a 2 year contract to do it. Thoughts? Worth it? I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

I've had similar training/contract stipulations before at old jobs. Essentially if the company pays for training or certification you agree to stick around for at least 2 years afterwards or you have to pay back the cost. My HR director at the time told me that it's essentially meaningless. They can't take the money out of your last paycheck legally and the legal costs for getting the money recouped wouldn't be worth paying. The only thing you'd possibly lose is a recommendation from them if you listed them as a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Walked posted:

Small IT shop; medium sized environment.

What would you guys suggest for tracking inventory and network devices? Spiceworks has never been a hit with me, personally.

Really just want something lightweight that's not excel, and maybe that can track relationships and site association of devices. Bonus points if it can be tied to an end user in AD for end user devices.

Or should I give spiceworks another go?

Some people have had good luck with FileMaker Pro databases which is nice and lightweight but that wont integrate with AD.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another vote for OneDrive for business being lovely. Last I checked the basic OneDrive had more features than the business version. Dropbox for business has been simple enough to get users to use and they love it. Thats been the case for the small mom and pop side jobs at least for me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If I recall there were file size limits with OneDrive for business as well that would've affected out engineering users had we stuck with it. On top of all the general errors it would spit out while trying to sync. Troubleshooting from Microsoft was to always delete everything and try a new sync from scratch.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You could justify the expense as paying $75 for something that will actually work and wont cause you to spend a ton of man hours attempting to fix. Especially when the "fix" is to delete everything on OneDrive and try to re-sync and hope it works. There are plenty of alternatives to OneDrive and Dropbox too. Box comes to mind and has pretty good enterprise support and features from what I can remember.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What's the best *CHEAP* monitoring software for monitoring availability for about 30 devices (vsphere environment, physical servers, switches, firewalls, NAS)

I work for MSP so the solution I usually use is not ideal for a company that is going to be doing their own monitoring in house.

Requirements
* send me an email when something is completely down
* send me an email when specific windows service is down
* bonus: open and close tickets in spiceworks

I started looking at PRTG and looks fine

I still prefer Nagios for this sort of thing but PRTG would probably work as well just fine. I just prefer the look of Nagios once it's set up the way I like.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I do static IPs so that all my printers can be close to each other in IP range. How often are you guys changing printer IP addresses lmao.

I only have like at most 6 printers per company I work with though.

This is me. I don't have that many to administer, all but 2 of them are leased so I have a set range set them up and forget about them.

wolrah posted:

Definitely DHCP reservations. I consider actual hardcoded static IPs something to avoid unless you're forced to or the device having an IP is critical to network functionality.

Some of my reasons have already been covered, but here's the list in no particular order.
  • Makes network configuration changes easy.
  • When paired with liberal use of DNS even mass renumbering is (relatively) easy.
  • Reduces or possibly eliminates the need to configure new/replacement hardware before deployment and/or after a factory reset/format+reinstall.
  • Reduces inadvertent IP conflicts.
  • Makes your IP addressing sort of self-documenting.

But you make a very convincing argument and I can see know why it'd be worth the effort to switch over the DHCP reservations. Especially being able to configure a new replacement printer with minimal downtime, plus it'd be one less thing to keep updated in the IP scheme.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

I'm new to running a department and haven't really made a small purchase from a rep, will they be angry about buying a single computer? I'm looking to buy some servers in 2016, should I mention that to try and drive the price down or will that not come into play at all?

Its the CFO dont cheap out. Get an i7, 8GB of RAM, and for gods sake spend the extra money on an SSD. The whole reason you go through Dell is so you have good warranty support so dont cheap out on that either. Get 4 years of next day business support because you have better things to do than baby sit hardware for some C level. Also you're running a department now so you should be looking at the big picture not doing price comparisons to some Toshiba laptop on Amazon that can save you $100 bucks.

No the rep wont give a poo poo about a single computer, margins are garbage on laptops so it's not even worth emailing that quote to other vendors to get counter offers most wont care. When you say servers how many do you mean and what type? Blade, tower, etc? Still probably wont do anything but see if you can get in touch with a VAR who might throw you better pricing on bulk deals.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

It's a desktop, but point taken. I'm looking at replaced 3 1Us and 2 2Us from 2008 with a pair of servers for Virtualization, it should fit the company need. This is the small shop thread, nothing fancy is expected. I just don't see what advantage an i7 offers when the i5 is less money and benchmarks higher on single threaded applications. Primary applications include office, quickbooks, and Navision which as far as I know all only use a single core.If there is a compelling reason to get an i7 I'll go for it though.

I am getting an SSD, the problem is the 256GB is PCIe and jacks the price up ($200 vs $70 over base model) I can buy an EVO 850 500GB for $155, the 256 is only 81. I don't need a PCIe SSD a SATA one would be perfectly fine. I guess I'll see if the rep can get me a SATA in that size. I guess it's more should I worry about saving $150 for keeping track of an aftermarket SSD. The EVO is the most recommended consumer SSD, not something I'd put in a server, but a desktop? Sure why not, I love mine at home.

Cheaping out is also not really what I intended with the original quote, I don't have a department budget unfortunately everything goes through the CFO, and she tends to cheap out on everything. The CEO wanted a barcode scanner, and it turned into an hour meeting with him and the CFO over if we needed to spend $75 on a barcode scanner or if I could get one of the Compact Flash barcode scanners they bought in 2006 to work with modern hardware (which I didn't even know about until she pulled them out of a safe during the meeting).

$800 seems reasonable, $1000 (what the PCIe SSD brings it to) seems like it would be a hard sell. Getting a 128GB isn't an option, she currently uses more then that. I'd ideally like a 500GB, but that would certainty be aftermarket.

Well if a $200 difference in price leads to a closed door hour long meeting you've got bigger problems. Honestly even with the server upgrades you plan on doing I doubt you get much of a price break if any from your vendor. If at all possible though spend the extra dough and still go with an i7. The reason being is you can go to that C level say it's top of the line and reasonably expect it to perform well 4 years down the line still.

Which leads into the next question. Does your org have a replacement schedule in place for PC's? Your accounting department should be depreciating everything and the bean counters should know you plan on rotating hardware every 4 -5 years or whatever schedule you come up with. You need to have this in place so you dont have to fight for every PC purchase because again you have more important things to do then putz around with desktop hardware.

Who is your hardware vendor? Do you have a Dell rep or do you go through someone else? CDW can sell Dells now and I've had good luck working with them in the past. It would be worth looking into getting a rep through them to be able to get quotes from and at least do some price comparisons as well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

You can probably just look at it and figure it out honestly. GPO is really easy.
While you are in there, ditch the vb script and do exactly the same thing with GPO targeting.

This exactly. The hardest part about working with GPOs is finding out where the setting is that you want to change. Just make sure to test any GPO properly before applying it to a huge target OU.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

And finding out "where" the setting is usually just takes a quick Google search.
i.e. https://www.google.com/#q=GPO+Map+Drives

I'm a fan of this site for helping you get pointed in the right direction:
http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

:10bux: on Confluence

Doing this now for my environment. Totally worth the money. $10 lifetime for up to 10 users I think if self hosted. If you scale past that ten their pricing gets insane. Really loving it so far but it does suffer from that "everything can look so nice and cool" effect where I tend to let perfect get in the way of good.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

goobernoodles posted:

So I guess people love ZenDesk around here, right? Can anyone give me an idea as to what they use in conjunction with ZenDesk to make it fit their needs? Mainly RMM and documentation side of things. Anyone have any experience with Panorama9 or Autotask?

e: I've been messing around with Autotask Endpoint Management, which was previously known as CentreStage and so far I dig it. In fact, it's still got the branding. RMM with 3rd party software updates and the killer piece is being able to upload your own files in order to do software deployments, etc. Are there any other RMM tools that aren't insanely expensive that encorporate a good remote-control options, patch management with scripting, automation and software deployment abilities? So far it's just been fairly small things I haven't liked, such as not being able to use the windows key to open the start menu of the client pc. I use win+R ALL THE TIME and it slows me down using the mouse alone. Is the Kaseya VSA, Labtech or any other RMM tools worth checking out? Main requirement is that it would need to integrate with a "easy" ticketing/wiki/workflow system like zendesk or samanage.

I use a combination of Zendesk for ticketing/helpdesk and Confluence for documentation. Their is a zendesk connector for Confluence that works reasonably well:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/integratecloud.com/server/reviews
That will allow you to link knowledge articles or how-to's you've written in Confluence.

Overall I'd say Confluence is amazing and I can't say enough about it as an organizational and documentation tool. They integrate overall better with JIRA which I dont have experience with but I know lots of other organizations use and can be customized a million different ways to make it fit your company. It's probably not as turn-key easy as zendesk is though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fourteen posted:

Anyone have any experience with Logitech GROUP for small office video conferencing?

https://secure.logitech.com/en-us/product/conferencecam-group

Or have any other recommendations? Seems like there isn't really much in this space.

Get ready to hate your life if your company is expecting a really good quality video conferencing device on the cheap. The good stuff costs a ton of money, and the room has to be perfect for whatever hardware you go with.

Whats your budget for this? You can go real cheap with a used polycom speaker phone and logitech camera, not sure how well it would work but it'd be something at least.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

The quality on the video and audio both seem great to me. Other than a camera that zooms in to the individual who is talking, I don't really see the need for anything more. And I have implemented very expensive Polycom systems from as recent as 3 years ago. I would say at this point the hardware you use matters less and less, the software that ties it all together is more important. I can't see any reason a small or medium business would do one of the traditional video conferencing systems these days. It's just not worth it.

Maybe it was just the last building I was in but we fought terrible sound all of the time. The video part was easy, it was audio that was hard. Part of that is getting people to not talk into their laptop screen or be facing the projector speaking and the table mics not picking it up.

Eventually we outsourced it to some AV company who put in acoustic panels and ceiling mics which somehow still didnt sound great.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Also worth noting is that CDW can sell Dell gear now. I have a completely useless Dell rep thats managed to stick around for over a year. I also have a couple of great CDW reps. As soon as I heard CDW could do Dell quotes I started going with them and getting hardware has gotten so much easier and better.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still dont understand fully why Microsoft is doing this.

With their workaround anyone can see all of the GPOs in your environment which seems less secure to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used Box Enterprise in the past and it works fairly well. Good administrative features and works nicely on mobile devices. The only problems we ever had with it was the occasional syncing error. And the fix from Box support was to just reinstall the client, that said it has gotten more stable in the past year.