Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Anyone using that Azure VM backup service?

I figured I'd want to back up maybe 6 VMs and around 1Tb of data in the event our office burnt down. I havent done the math but I reckon it might come out cheaper than the hundreds of LTO tapes and associate drives going back 5 generations.

Smalltime IT content:

The current debate is whether we spend 100 bucks a month on ticket software.

We just spent $40k to trial some CRM software. I cant fathom how we can ever make that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
'We just share our passwords. It's easier and I trust everyone'

Hoo boy!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Cross posting from the poo poo thread - is dirsync still the in-thing for O365? What don't I get that I would get if I rolled out ADFS?

Also could someone describe when a user would need to talk to the O365 server? Is it every time they launch Word or is it a once a month licence check like Adobe?

I really need a good primer on this whole 365 business.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
What I'm reading is that ADConnect is how you sync accounts, and ADFS is an optional addition that can provide SSO. Is that right? My manager is also concerned about our passwords being stored with Microsoft. (The one security issue he is hung up on)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
He doesn't know anything and I only know slightly more so I can't allay his fears that well.

Ten-four on ADFS. Thanks.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah I've read up a heap on it today including watching those awful Garage videos. It's much clearer to me now.

He needs to get over the fact of the stored hashes. I don't have a way to make ADFS redundant on our network.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We're only doing office. Mail is staying in-house. I'm only interested in this stuff as in pertains to staff using The office suite.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Turn your phone off. gently caress me.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Every small shop should have PDQ inventory. The free version does so so so much.

We've just subscribed to Office 365. The non-mail, non-proPlus account. I need to package and deploy the Office Suite. What is the process for rolling it out to a bunch of machines? All I'm seeing is blogs on deploying ProPlus and "Click to Run".

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Oh right so its pretty much the same as Office 2010. I guess the Googling I did threw me off in the wrong direction.

Next quesion, I'm syncing my pilot users using AAD Connect, the users are syncing fine but it doesnt seem to be syncing the passwords. I cant log on with any of the test accounts unless I reset their password via the O365 Admin portal.

edit - Ahh, my service account didnt have the proper permissions. All fixed. http://blog.msresource.net/2014/10/29/rpc-error-8453-replication-access-was-denied-in-azure-ad-sync-services-aadsync/

Swink fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

McDeth posted:

I would punch my own face

Thread title for any thread in this forum.

I posted earlier about deploying O365. Where do I get the installers from? I can only find a bunch of cab files that are downloaded by the OCT, which are the 'click to run' variant.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
NevergirlsOFFICIAL you posted exactly what I needed to deploy this poo poo. Thank you!

It's not the way I wanted to do it, but at least now I know how.

Is that Powershell Application Deployment Toolkit as good as it sounds? I've never heard of it before.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Holy poo poo that toolkit (and your Office code) is amazing. Thankyou for posting it. My batch file version would have been an abomination.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Put the indesign files on his local machine via Dropbox or work folders or something.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Anyone actually use onedrive for business? Seems pretty janky.
I've been spoiled by the Dropbox client I guess.

Swink fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 23, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

OneDrive for Business is so bad that the backend that runs it is being ripped out and replaced by whatever runs the consumer version.

Will it be worth a look then? Is the consumer version less poo poo?

I really like everything about it 'on paper' but I don't want to tout something that will cause me grief.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'll delay until the new product is released. Dropbox is wonderful but we get a terabyte free with our O365 sub so it's orrery impossible to justify purchasing Dropbox as well as our on premise storage needs.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm going to be moving 160 machines from 7 to 10 early next year. What issues did you have with the in place upgrade?

Also thanks all for the unanimous derision of onedrive for business. :)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It works better than it ever has before, but yes fresh install is the preferred option. Don't know how that's going to go with all the oem licenses I'm dealing with.
Boss expects to upgrade everyone for free but I don't know what that means if all I hav have is a win7 key

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the link. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to "punch my own face".

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

How much is your time worth compared to buying new licenses... because I feel like doing clean image of win10 would take a fraction of the time compared to in place upgrade on 160 workstations

Depends how much it costs to buy 160 Win10 Pro licences. If it's more than the cost of upgrading ( $Nothing ) then my boss is not going to go for it.

I don't think it'll be too bad. Each machine will be upgraded, registered with microsoft, then freshly imaged and delivered to the user.

I'm probably breaking several OEM Licencing rules here but my mandate is to make poo poo work for the least amount of expense.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Oh shitballs. I figured it would just know based on the hardware profile. Ugh.

Sticking with Win7 is definitely something I plan to put forward. We have a growing fleet of Surface Pros that could do with the switch to 10 though.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

but it's not really nothing. For the cost to be nothing you need to not do the work. Which brings me to

This kind of thinking is not factored in. My salary is already spent. Capex budget would need to be found somewhere. Lecturing management on where they are wasting money will get me a large middle finger in the face and a HR meeting on why I am blocking progress.

Swink fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 29, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Surely there must be an ftp server that can use S3 as a file store?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I wrote my first novel while on hold to ISP support.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
VDI tech is cool but given the expense it's gotta be pretty rare that it's the most cost effective solution.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
There's actually an accountant firm in my town that spent 80k doing VDI for their 50 person office. Apparently the CEO just liked the idea of the tech.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The Win10 ISO that you download with the media creation tool does not include install.wim and so cannot be imported into MDT for deployment purposes.

Is there a way I can get a VL copy of the ISO so I can create an image to deploy Win10 professional? If its against the licence well, I'm at the point where I do not care.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The iso of win10 pro I just downloaded using the media creation tool does not contain an install.wim

I'll redownload it today to make sure. Maybe I got an insider build or something.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
PRTG is easy. Might even be free for < 100 sensors.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Medium sized, industry specific software: Where I've been trying to get the archive data storage separated from the live data storage for two years.

Currently its just stuck on the same disk, separated by folders. On a gargantuan virtual disk that I have to store and backup.

Oh and there's no function to delete old archive data. We've been requesting that feature for 5 years.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Another benefit of reservations is if you change the dns server or subnet, dhcp takes care of it. Otherwise you gotta rekey those particular settings in every printer.

Granted, these are not common occurrences.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It's doable but is the cost worth it? With just one on prem host it's likely the event that takes out your DC is going to take out everything else. Is a remote DC going to help at all in that event?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

How do I switch reps at a VAR, Dell to be exact

Wait like, three weeks?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Any reason not to use VEEAM free edition for two hyperV hosts?

It would be replacing a shell script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Google get_win8key.exe

Some guy made it to suck out the OEM key. Combine it with slmgr.vbs for auto-activate goodness