Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I have a DIY crafty question and I guess this might be the best thread for it.

It might be a little hard to explain properly:

I have a plain white 12 in X 12 in canvas.

I want a pure white material that I can build up in layers to about a .5 to 1 inch depth and sort of sweep around and have it dry with the sweeps frozen in place (think some lovely faux finish on a ceiling or wall or better yet Divinity Fudge/Candy - but less turbulent).

I'd frame the canvas with some temp wood or something so that, when dry, I'd remove it and the "walls" of the material would be nice and flat. Almost like the canvas is a cross section.

It needs to be able to hang on the wall thus it needs to be lightweight as possible

Dear god does that make any sense?

You might have luck with Sculpt-or-Coat or modeling paste! You have to work somewhat slowly and it may be slightly heavier than what you're looking for once it's dry, but it might give you the aesthetic you're looking for.

Anyway, here's some ceramics. :toot:

Thrown yarn bowl for my sister, done in white clay with Mayco Floral Fantasy crystal glaze.

Krampus cup for holding my pens. Slab built in buff and glazed with Mayco Malachite.

Here's a slab pitcher before and after firing. I used the malachite glaze here as well and I wish I had a better picture to show off the color. It's a beautiful green with brown marbled through it. Guest starring the first coil cylinder I ever made

A Babadook steamroller pipe which unfortunately broke before it could be placed in the kiln.

And finally, here are some pendants I made to use as test tiles. I've become a total cookie cutter and stamp fiend after finding how easy these were to roll out and make. You can do the exact same with sculpey without waiting for the clay to firm up so you can stamp it without squishing it.

Edit: phone posting, sorry if these are huge on a desktop!

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread