Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Someone's post got eaten again, so to help get page number 1553 to show up properly I'll just say that it'd be nice if Bethesda moved away from their lovely cell based world design so they could add cars in and make it a proper post-apocalypse game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm honestly hoping that the next TES or Fallout game uses the same engine as DOOM and Wolfenstein. idTech? idTech.

Hell, I'd settle for Unreal as the engine - I know modding is an intrinsic part of Bethsoft RPGs and the fanbase would riot if it went away, but Gamebyro Creation is such a duct-taped sack of poo poo it's amazing it still works at all.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The problem there is that those engines work in fundamentally different ways than Bethesda's games do. I can't really think of another engine that would work for this type of game, as much as I hate the chewed gum and duct tape they've got going on now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hahahahaha holy gently caress considering how hosed The New Colossus was in anything other than a corridor, the horrible glitches and breakdowns and whatnot, I cannot even imagine how crazy it would be trying to create something even as simple as FO4

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gobblecoque posted:

An expansion focusing on leading a Mad Max gang of raiders would be extremely cool except in Nuka World you're the "leader" of the raiders just like you're the "leader" of the minutemen which means some guys send you to do stupid fetch quests while they sit around doing dick.

See: Bethesda, recent product history of.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
E: wrong thread

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

null_pointer posted:

Goddamn, what were they thinking with Nuka World?

Yeah, it would have been nice if there had been at least some reward for wiping out the raider leaders. Maybe turning Nuka-World into a settlement-ish trading depot that earns you caps.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

dragonshardz posted:

I'm honestly hoping that the next TES or Fallout game uses the same engine as DOOM and Wolfenstein. idTech? idTech.

Seriously, why not? Id is owned by Zenimax, who also own Bethesha. Put Carmack & Carmack at work designing the next engine.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Gynovore posted:

Seriously, why not? Id is owned by Zenimax, who also own Bethesha. Put Carmack & Carmack at work designing the next engine.

Unless the judge orders him to be be Zenimax's butler like that joke on Seinfeld I don't think he's ever working for them ever again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gynovore posted:

Sadly both Adrian and John have left the company. There's a few people left from the early days but most of the talent they were know for is gone. John Carmack in particular was known for working wonders with his engines but idTech 5 was kind of a wonky mess and 6 is still kind of a wonky mess. RAGE shows you can make open-ish world games with the engine but texture pop-in would probably always been an issue.

edit:

Seashell Salesman posted:

Unless the judge orders him to be be Zenimax's butler like that joke on Seinfeld I don't think he's ever working for them ever again.
Yeah, that too. Kind of a shame the way that all went down. Hell of a way to leave something you created.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

khy posted:

1) The ability to either claim a bed for myself, or assign settlers to beds. I always build myself a home in a settlement and get annoyed that loving everyone sleeps in it. It's mine. gently caress off.

I found that settlers seem to claim beds in the order that you place them, so I threw "my" bed back in the workshop and replaced it after dropping 20+ beds and it's been empty ever since.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean considering how well optimised DOOM 2016 is iD still has some good rear end programmers that Bethesda could get to help out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The issues at Bethesda run deeper than 'needs a few good programmers'. It's fairly clear management is refusing to undertake the tool and process level investments they desperately need, or accept when a product needs polish time before release.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone link to a guide about how I actually use these Vault 88 pieces to make something? There's dozens of them and finding ones that will snap together is not easy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Can anyone link to a guide about how I actually use these Vault 88 pieces to make something? There's dozens of them and finding ones that will snap together is not easy.

Here's a guy working through building an "external vault" in the Boston Airport waiting area.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

khy posted:

I also never fully understood trade routes. I thought that it was supposed to let you pool resources between two towns, so that both would share food/water/materials but it never seemed to quite work like that and I don't know why. Could anyone give me more info about that?

as far as I know trade routes just share junk in the workbench. I'm not sure it shares food and water.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Halser posted:

as far as I know trade routes just share junk in the workbench. I'm not sure it shares food and water.

I think it does. Settlements can have 0 food and 0 water but those numbers aren't in red, once connected. If not connected they are shown in red.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can't grab things out of the workshop, like ammo or whatever, but if you build stuff it will use junk from other workshops.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

khy posted:

I also never fully understood trade routes. I thought that it was supposed to let you pool resources between two towns, so that both would share food/water/materials but it never seemed to quite work like that and I don't know why. Could anyone give me more info about that?

Workshops have a workshop storage, available from the big red workshop or any craft bench built in the settlement, by pushing the transfer button. Items in other containers are not considered to be in workshop storage.

When you craft at a bench linked to a workshop, if you don't have the materials on you, they are pulled from storage, scrapping junk items first if necessary. Excess material is placed in local storage, so if you ever field craft check the bench when you're done.

When you have a supply line set up, workshop storages stay separate. You can't put a camera in one storage and take it out of another. However, if you're trying to craft, you can pull items from any linked storage as well, and that includes not only junk but crops for prepared meals and blood packs for chems.

Note that your provisioners can be attacked. If they're robots they can be destroyed, otherwise I think the supply line does go down for a few seconds while they're having a Bethesda rest.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Lone Badger posted:

This is the best one I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCRTKj019xU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

What I ended up doing with the Vault-bits was slapping down a big reactor for power, then surrounding it with atrium parts as a powerhouse for settlements. At ones I wanted to keep stuff at, I'd cap it with Overseer's office parts, so I had a nice luxo place to keep my crafting stations, weapon and armor displays, and many many lockers and trunks of loot.

Think I'm going to try for a Space Needle-type Oppression Palace this run, if I can keep the game stable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I think it does. Settlements can have 0 food and 0 water but those numbers aren't in red, once connected. If not connected they are shown in red.

It's misleading because if a settlement has 0 food and 0 water but is being supplied by somebody else the settlers will still bitch. If the numbers aren't red then the settlement is fine and happiness won't take a hit. If they are red then there's a problem.

It's especially aggravating and the system is obviously coded like crap because sometimes settlements just stop getting supplies from other ones, the numbers will randomly zero out until you revisit, or a settlement will randomly act like it has double the population it actually does.

There is just so much wrong with this game. It plays like a beta version.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean considering how well optimised DOOM 2016 is iD still has some good rear end programmers that Bethesda could get to help out.

Yeah, John Carmack was a rock star as far as game devs go because of id Software history but there are many developers as good as him or better. I mean, these guys are good.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

More posts are being eaten, so allow me to assist in pushing this sucker to the next page?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just cleared out vault 95 and killed a legendary gunner that dropped an instigating mini gun. What garbage!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragonshardz posted:

Hell, I'd settle for Unreal as the engine - I know modding is an intrinsic part of Bethsoft RPGs and the fanbase would riot if it went away, but Gamebyro Creation is such a duct-taped sack of poo poo it's amazing it still works at all.

Yeah, no, that's how how it works.

The engines for open-world games have to do fundamentally different things than the ones for FPS games where you're confined to a single level and there's a load screen when you leave it.

Never mind the fact that DOOM's texture system results in huuuuge file sizes for something as small as its game world. DOOM is like 70 gigs, most of which is map files, trying to do an open world game that way is not gonna fly.

Honestly the graphics engine for Fallout 4 is fine, what they need to upgrade is their quest scripting system, and more importantly, their plot / quest writing.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

Yeah, no, that's how how it works.

The engines for open-world games have to do fundamentally different things than the ones for FPS games where you're confined to a single level and there's a load screen when you leave it.

Never mind the fact that DOOM's texture system results in huuuuge file sizes for something as small as its game world. DOOM is like 70 gigs, most of which is map files, trying to do an open world game that way is not gonna fly.

Honestly the graphics engine for Fallout 4 is fine, what they need to upgrade is their quest scripting system, and more importantly, their plot / quest writing.

I'd settle for a quest/scripting engine that isn't poo poo and competent writing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As has been mentioned before, Fallout 4's optimisation is plain unfinished. There are texture files ten times the size they need to be, texture files improperly compressed, there are occlusion planes that aren't placed properly or aren't even functioning, there are meshes with far too many polys in them; over in the modding thread a guy was able to fix broken occlusion planes and get like a 10FPS increase in Boston alone from those tweaks with no visible effect. Vault 88 is meant to have better performance because the game is meant to use that big corner in the cave to cull visible objects but the plane is backwards or something. Everything is shoved out the door literally half-finished, which is the biggest reason it runs like dogshit.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Apropos to nothing, but are there any rumors of Obsidian getting a chance at the next Fallout game? Or has Bethesda made no mention about it?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Bethesda has two (possibly more) unannounced games that are being worked on but it's not very clear if it's internal or if they're just publishing them. From the teasers they have released they sound like more large, open world RPGs but beyond that have said nothing.

Chris Avellone, one of the original minds behind Fallout and one of the leads of New Vegas, left Obsidian several years ago to work freelance. The only person left there with any ties to the franchise is Feargus Urquhart.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

As has been mentioned before, Fallout 4's optimisation is plain unfinished. There are texture files ten times the size they need to be, texture files improperly compressed, there are occlusion planes that aren't placed properly or aren't even functioning, there are meshes with far too many polys in them; over in the modding thread a guy was able to fix broken occlusion planes and get like a 10FPS increase in Boston alone from those tweaks with no visible effect. Vault 88 is meant to have better performance because the game is meant to use that big corner in the cave to cull visible objects but the plane is backwards or something. Everything is shoved out the door literally half-finished, which is the biggest reason it runs like dogshit.

I'd be fine with the next game having the same or worse performance issues if the quests and writing were noticeably better.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Bethesda has two (possibly more) unannounced games that are being worked on but it's not very clear if it's internal or if they're just publishing them. From the teasers they have released they sound like more large, open world RPGs but beyond that have said nothing.

Chris Avellone, one of the original minds behind Fallout and one of the leads of New Vegas, left Obsidian several years ago to work freelance. The only person left there with any ties to the franchise is Feargus Urquhart.

There's Sawyer, the lead on New Vegas. And, y'know, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. Avellone didn't start working on Fallout until writing New Reno for Fallout 2.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 14, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Megazver posted:

There's Sawyer, the lead on New Vegas. And, y'know, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. Avellone didn't start working on Fallout until writing New Reno for Fallout 2.

Oh right, totally forgot about Sawyer being part of the crew. Brain fart on my end.

Didn't realize Cain and Boyarsky had joined the Obsidian team, they weren't around for the release of New Vegas. Reading up on them it seems Leonard Boyarsky was only recently acquired but he and Cain are working together on whatever Obsidian is working on next. Wonder what it is... don't want to get my hopes of that it's Fallout related.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Arcanum 2 would be amazing but some turd company probably owns the IP.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Arcanum 2 would be amazing but some turd company probably owns the IP.

Pop culture reference names for no reason! Rape islands! An entire useless skill tree because mage supremacy!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is that a copy paste from NMA?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh right, totally forgot about Sawyer being part of the crew. Brain fart on my end.

Didn't realize Cain and Boyarsky had joined the Obsidian team, they weren't around for the release of New Vegas. Reading up on them it seems Leonard Boyarsky was only recently acquired but he and Cain are working together on whatever Obsidian is working on next. Wonder what it is... don't want to get my hopes of that it's Fallout related.

I believe they said it's neither Fallout, Arcanum nor Vampire.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

shovelbum posted:

Pop culture reference names for no reason!

I mean, that was just games from that time period in general. Fallout 2 was loving flooded in that poo poo.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Arcanum loving rules. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I wanna play Arcanum because the character creator is kinda amazing but the interface/combat is so bad it almost makes F1/2 look good and it very much seems like it has the same general "you can build a hundred different characters, but there's like 2-3 really good builds and then a bunch of gimmicks"

• Locked thread