Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This game will probably be ugly and bad, but somehow also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I hope this gets a PS4 release. I'll only be getting 1/4 of the worth without the option for mods, but even with mods FO3 was decent dumb fun, and if that trailer is in-game it's going to be a great-looking game. I really really like the softer look they got going on.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The one thing I am legit excited about is that it looks like there'll be less of the cargo cult fanfic poo poo that made fallout 3 so bad.

Gyshall posted:

I'm willing to bet it is just generic voice lines, not so much as a fully voiced guy/girl or whatever, ie. PlayerVoiceMaleAfrican, PlayerVoiceMaleCaucasian, PlayerVoiceFemaleAfrican, etc.

The leaked audition script says otherwise. It has the player VA do both the War Never Changes speech and a sample quest dialogue. It also said they were just looking for one male and one female voice.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Fallout 1 was a good game

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I hope this gets a PS4 release. I'll only be getting 1/4 of the worth without the option for mods, but even with mods FO3 was decent dumb fun, and if that trailer is in-game it's going to be a great-looking game. I really really like the softer look they got going on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This game is going to sell millions of copies.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm really confused as to why they're making a voiced protagonist. Feels like a decision made by the executives than something Bethesda came up with by themselves.

Also holy moly, Bethesda, make some new animations. That running animation was lifted straight from Skyrim and it still sucks.

Yeah, if I had to compile a list of poo poo that no one asked for or particularly wanted out of a Bethasda game; 'voiced protagonist' would probably be at the top. Considering their record with most characters it wouldn't even be playing to their strengths. With any luck it's just for the trailer, or at the very least they have a female voice option too.

Skyrim was surprisingly popular with women who didn't usually play games of the type becasue it a)was fairly accessible and b)wasn't super heavily marketed towards an adolescent 'hey boobs/blood' male audience, with creating the character that represented you (or your cat/lizard alter ego) not having any effect on the gameplay. for all of skyrim's myriad flaws it was a nice (if inadvertent) boon.

Republican Vampire posted:

The leaked audition script says otherwise. It has the player VA do both the War Never Changes speech and a sample quest dialogue. It also said they were just looking for one male and one female voice.

well, I guess we can look forward to the paid moe anime player voice packs at least

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I will play this game and have some fun with it probably.

Guess what? Not me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I need to pay more attention. :downs:

I'll change my wish then to hoping it runs well on PS4. The Witcher 3 runs beautifully while looking very nice, and I hope Bethesda manages the same feat.

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah, if I had to compile a list of poo poo that no one asked for or particularly wanted out of a Bethasda game; 'voiced protagonist' would probably be at the top. Considering their record with most characters it wouldn't even be playing to their strengths. With any luck it's just for the trailer, or at the very least they have a female voice option too.

Skyrim was surprisingly popular with women who didn't usually play games of the type becasue it a)was fairly accessible and b)wasn't super heavily marketed towards an adolescent 'hey boobs/blood' male audience, with creating the character that represented you (or your cat/lizard alter ego) not having any effect on the gameplay. for all of skyrim's myriad flaws it was a nice (if inadvertent) boon.

well, I guess we can look forward to the paid moe anime player voice packs at least

Given how awful they wrote the main character in FO3 (the available dialogue options in the main story) I'm actually kind of excited to see the new depths of terrible writing now that they're having the main character voiced.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

The one thing I am legit excited about is that it looks like there'll be less of the cargo cult fanfic poo poo that made fallout 3 so bad.

Nobuyuki "Link" Hiyama and Jennifer "Samus" Hale. VAing is a solved problem.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Kerstbal posted:

Guess what? Not me.

:eyepop:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

:o :0 :O

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

This game is going to sell millions of copies.

Reviewers will also react with awe like Bethesda invented the open-world game all over again.

"See that building in the distance? You can walk there!"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

that's one of my fave gamebryo bugs and I hope it makes a glorious return in this game. the games would probably be lesser w/o them.

http://imperialguard.ytmnd.com/

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MinibarMatchman posted:

i'd love this. make it all even stupider and it's Day 1 for me. I love shooting a dude in the foot only to have the whole leg fly off like 40 feet behind him. I love having a whole town of retards come after me when I steal a fork from a diner.

make so that stealing anything, or opening any owned container, immediately makes all guards in all towns in the entire game aggro you, and they will just start running for miles to tell you PUT THAT BACK THIEF

at any point in the game, no matter what you were doing, a huddle of guards from across the map will bust into the scene to tell you PUT THAT BACK THIEF.

it'd be baller if this could even interrupt scripted events or cutscenes or w/e

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

all white people look alike

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I bet if STALKER 2 got announced with the same engine as STALKER 1 with the same devs everyone here would be going apeshit with hype.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lotish posted:

all white people look alike

agreed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FuriousGeorge posted:

Reviewers will also react with awe like Bethesda invented the open-world game all over again.

"See that building in the distance? You can walk there!"

It could be a steaming turd and it will still sell amazingly well.

I'm going to buy it. All of you in this thread are going to buy it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The protagonist is a cryogenically frozen pre-war soldier. That was in the VA audition sides too. Same dude turns up at the top of page 1 as concept art.

Fallout 2 had two gag characters based around how dumb a premise this is so obvs they had to do it for reals.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The protagonist is a cryogenically frozen pre-war soldier. That was in the VA audition sides too. Same dude turns up at the top of page 1 as concept art.

Fallout 2 had two gag characters based around how dumb a premise this is so obvs they had to do it for reals.

Wait why is it a dumb premise?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Game starts, and your avatar melts into goo as two hundred years of aging slam into him at once.

Title screen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

please put the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system in this. it would break the game in hilarious ways. just have npcs glitching into other scenes and houses, wandering in with a tiny stupid pistol clutched at their hip, spouting lovely dialogue at you with vengeance.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah, if I had to compile a list of poo poo that no one asked for or particularly wanted out of a Bethasda game; 'voiced protagonist' would probably be at the top.

You'd be surprised how many people actually wanted this for Skyrim... and the amount of people who would flay themselves if that happened.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So loving excited, I hope they go full on with a bad rear end dog companion.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Going to put many hundreds of hours into this game.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Rinkles posted:

Hmmmmmm

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
It's probably gonna be the pre-game starter stuff only, but I'm a little hype for pre-war hijinks.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Lmfao. This looks like one of those Chinese news recreation animations or a PS1 CG cutscene.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Fallout 4 is going to turn out to be all a dream world created by a man that could not cope when his baby died. He put a plastic baby doll in the crib and pretends it's his kid, and then the dog from Ghosts infiltrates his dreams and has to pull him out.

Here's a portion of that 4K picture from the OP and they are using all over the Internet. I stole it from the GBS Fallout 4 thread.

Bethesda was tired of all the developers making pre rendered real time trailers so they made all the promotional material from the worst platform,The Xbone One.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

< Rex :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, at least we can be pretty sure that this is what the actual game will look like and we're not being shown some doctored-up marketing graphics.

Right?

...right?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm also excited to play the video game.

I can't stop starring at your avatar.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Lmfao. This looks like one of those Chinese news recreation animations or a PS1 CG cutscene.

lol

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Because it's a lazy way of giving the protagonist pathos and ignorance of the setting, but the necessarily brief glimpse we get of his life before the story proper starts undercuts our ability to care about what he's nominally lost.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Bholder posted:

You'd be surprised how many people actually wanted this for Skyrim... and the amount of people who would flay themselves if that happened.

The player character in Skyrim is voiced.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wasn't that also one of the characters in Mothership Zeta?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I don't usually preorder games, but for 23% off on the day it's announced...sure GMG I'll bite. I know I'm going to be playing this no matter how good/bad it is anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

There's always a vault. There's always a man. There's always a guy who says "war never changes."

edit: should have said dog instead.

• Locked thread