Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The thread ate my extremely correct post about Arcanum! This injustice will not stand: it was mainly about an incredibly diverse character creator that seems to boil down to 1-2 correct options if you wanna get the most out of the plot/combat and then a bunch of funny gimmick options.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Y'know, the existence of something in a work doesn't mean tacit endorsement, I doubt anyone at Troika fantasized about an IRL conspiracy to create a slave race through rape.

Also there's a huge unofficial patch for Arcanum I'd heavily recommend checking out; it basically finishes a shitload of tech trees, bugs, and missing content, especially on the technology-path side of things.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Y'know, the existence of something in a work doesn't mean tacit endorsement, I doubt anyone at Troika fantasized about an IRL conspiracy to create a slave race through rape.

"Sure there are times when one cries with acidity,
'Where are the limits of human stupidity?'
"Have you not learned, my esteemed communicator,
That the created is not the creator?
"So please grip this fact with your cerebral tentacle:
The doll and its maker are never identical. "

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

I'd be fine with the next game having the same or worse performance issues if the quests and writing were noticeably better.

In games that sell like Fallout they really shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Quests and writing being mediocre was probably partly the same issue of unfinishedness, to be honest. There's plenty of cut content floating around in the game like the alternative Brotherhood ending, and as has been mentioned, the scripting engine is capable of much better and more complicated quests than we got, it's just they're a bitch to program and Bethesda probably never invested any time in making tools to make it easier to manage, or considered complex quests not worth the time investment.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh right, totally forgot about Sawyer being part of the crew. Brain fart on my end.

Didn't realize Cain and Boyarsky had joined the Obsidian team, they weren't around for the release of New Vegas. Reading up on them it seems Leonard Boyarsky was only recently acquired but he and Cain are working together on whatever Obsidian is working on next. Wonder what it is... don't want to get my hopes of that it's Fallout related.

It's been confirmed not to be Fallout in an interview Urqheart had with Eurogamer.

RockPaperShotgun said it's TakeTwo publishing their upcoming secret thing. So I dunno? Bully? Bioshock? Borderlands? Gex?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 15, 2018

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

The thread ate my extremely correct post about Arcanum! This injustice will not stand: it was mainly about an incredibly diverse character creator that seems to boil down to 1-2 correct options if you wanna get the most out of the plot/combat and then a bunch of funny gimmick options.

My favorite Arcanum "gimmick" build is just making a really high charisma character, since that affects both your chances of succeeding in persuade checks and the number of companions you can have. Sure, the beginning of the game can be a huge pain, but once you've recruited enough people to do the fighting for you things get stupidly easy very quickly.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
IMO best Arcanum build is always severely mentally challenged Half-Ogre with maxed physical attributes. You can get just ridiculous amounts of AP per turn and so much damage with melee weapons that you zoom around one-shotting everything like Fry when he drank 100 cups of coffee in one day.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC, since strength gives you a damage bonus per attack the hulking half-ogre should use a dainty little rapier in order to get as many attacks per turn as possible.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Way to play into stereotypes, uncle tog'maluk.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wasnt that the game where once you pass a certain immense level of strength you get your strength as a flat bonus, and you could get this at character creation

starting game weapons all doing 1d4+25

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All I remember from Arcanum was going straight from the first area to a nearby war camp or something and pick pocketing one of the strongest swords in the game from the lady general there.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I think we desperately need a new thread for this game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fallout 4: New thread because it broke like the game.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I think the new thread should be general fallout discussion, as I don't know if there's enough meat to Fallout 4 to warrant a continuation.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, I'd be down for a new thread as a catch-all for all Fallout discussion (since F4 doesn't have anything else coming out that would really necessitate a sole F4 thread). I'll make it unless someone else really wants to. Plus it'll give everyone a chance to talk about the greatest game in the franchise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Xs1tm-9-U

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Arcanum's split between turn/realtime combat was quirky and Harm was the most powerful spell in the game if you could click on enemies real fast. Also knocks you on your rear end real fast too when you dumped all your mana in seconds.

Tech builds were always more interesting to play even if magic was easy mode though. Never figured out how to make those mechanical spiders worth a drat however.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Best way to tech was to use dynamite to blow open the chest in that halfling guy's basement and loot the Pyro Axe blueprint as soon as you get to Tarant.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If the new thread does stick with 4, I recommend the title Fallout 4: It just does that sometimes.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't think there is a FO3 thread so I'll ask here.

I'm playing Fo3 for the first time, and just went with the Fook2 overhaul. Is there a general route around the map to take as you level and explore? Sort of how in New Vegas you'd go south, then east and back up north? I read something in game about the main DC area is dangerous, so I'm wondering if I should head west then north, basically a clockwise loop.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm playing Fo3 for the first time, and just went with the Fook2 overhaul. Is there a general route around the map to take as you level and explore? Sort of how in New Vegas you'd go south, then east and back up north? I read something in game about the main DC area is dangerous, so I'm wondering if I should head west then north, basically a clockwise loop.
Fallout 3 doesn't have much of a route. There's some tough areas up north you'll be sent to in the later part of the game. If you head west early on you may stumble into a location that sequence breaks the story pretty significantly. Early game your best bet is to head to Megaton and start doing the side quests you pick up there such as Wasteland Survival Guide which will send you out to various places and you can generally explore stuff around those areas. Get a few level ups doing that and you'll be fine heading to the parts of D.C. the story takes you down.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, the Wasteland Survival Guide quest line is generally a good beginners side quest as it won't send you to areas that are too dangerous. It's been a long time since I played FO3 so my memory is getting hazy but the areas around Vault 101 and Megaton are generally safe for new characters, the vicinity of Falls Church is also pretty safe. You'll want to avoid crossing east of the Potomac for a while (probably in your teens to be safe) as well as avoid the extreme peripheries of the map since higher level stuff tends to be stuck there. If you do want to advance the main quest early on try and stick to the river banks and skirt around the city. In general the northern part of the map is more dangerous than the southern portion.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The DC area has Super Mutants, and the Western part has Deathclaws. Generally, the farther you are from Megaton, the harder it is.

Still, if you're coming to FO3 from FO4 or NV, you'll find it piss-easy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, cool. Not sure how much the Fook2 overhaul will affect difficulty. So far it's not to hard. I've done a few quests and explored the springvale school. Hardest part is ammo/caps were sort of scarce but after a bit of exploring it's not a big deal. My dog companion dies really easily though.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, cool. Not sure how much the Fook2 overhaul will affect difficulty. So far it's not to hard. I've done a few quests and explored the springvale school. Hardest part is ammo/caps were sort of scarce but after a bit of exploring it's not a big deal. My dog companion dies really easily though.

Companions are pretty woeful in Fallout 3, both in terms of personality and in survivability

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That would take you through way sketchier places than DC. If you're looking for the newbie island experience, just follow the main quest line. At least until the Museum of freedom with three dog. That's the first missions that can be kind of hard. A lot of traveling in DC is just clearing ghouls out of subways to discover places so that you have the fast travel points. You can stumble across some really fortified positions though, so stay hidden and look for blips on your compass. It's a good game for sneaking past people and sniping.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If your only experience is FO4, keep in mind that deathclaws in FO3 and NV are much scarier on account of not having easily dodged lumbering attacks. On the bright side they dont have any instakill execution moves, though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Neurolimal posted:

If your only experience is FO4, keep in mind that deathclaws in FO3 and NV are much scarier on account of not having easily dodged lumbering attacks. On the bright side they dont have any instakill execution moves, though.

In FO3, deathclaws cease to be any threat once you craft the Dart Gun. It automatically cripples legs, allowing you to kite them to death.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gynovore posted:

In FO3, deathclaws cease to be any threat once you craft the Dart Gun. It automatically cripples legs, allowing you to kite them to death.

Also shotgun bean bags in NV.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

yeah, they kind of needed to massively boost the effectiveness of the dart gun in Fallout 4 because it was never quite worth it compared to just shooting something with normal bullets.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Floppychop posted:

Also shotgun bean bags in NV.

why bother fatiguing deathclaws with shotguns when you can just use regular lead and And Stay Back?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I was confused for a second until I realized that I was thinking if the Illusion Tree Gun, which is a separate thing from the dart gun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Halser posted:

why bother fatiguing deathclaws with shotguns when you can just use regular lead and And Stay Back?

Because kiting them into populated areas is hilarious.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think I've pinpointed Fallout 4's core structural flaw that haunts the entire game:

you cant use the cannibal perk to eat your dumb dead husband

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Neurolimal posted:

Well he's an ice cube so you'd have to defrost him first. Grill him with a flamethrower?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Neurolimal posted:

I think I've pinpointed Fallout 4's core structural flaw that haunts the entire game:

The real crime is you can't take Confirmed Bachelor and be a total alpha, stabbing dudes in the back when they think you love them but you're totally not gay because: alpha.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

instead of Black Widow/Ladykiller, they ought to just have one perk called Lover and a Fighter that does the same thing for all humans. You're able to sleep with pretty much anyone anyway.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Did anyone else get a 600mb update today?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Looks like we're waiting for an F4SE update again.

Fallout 4 [right-click] Properties: Updates > Only when I launch

Then only launch through F4SE, possibly Mod Organizer or whatever.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e: Wrong thread!

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

8 Ball posted:

Did anyone else get a 600mb update today?

1.21 on ps4. There's some free aquatic armor paints in the creation club

• Locked thread