Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Firstborn posted:

So you made a thread for shitposting? Can we expect another thread with less crying over a loving teaser trailer?

Whining about whining is the stupidest whining.

The teaser was super bad tho and the game will probably be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Why would you preorder this?

Preorder DLC

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

E: phone app broke my post

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 3, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The one thing I am legit excited about is that it looks like there'll be less of the cargo cult fanfic poo poo that made fallout 3 so bad.

Gyshall posted:

I'm willing to bet it is just generic voice lines, not so much as a fully voiced guy/girl or whatever, ie. PlayerVoiceMaleAfrican, PlayerVoiceMaleCaucasian, PlayerVoiceFemaleAfrican, etc.

The leaked audition script says otherwise. It has the player VA do both the War Never Changes speech and a sample quest dialogue. It also said they were just looking for one male and one female voice.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The protagonist is a cryogenically frozen pre-war soldier. That was in the VA audition sides too. Same dude turns up at the top of page 1 as concept art.

Fallout 2 had two gag characters based around how dumb a premise this is so obvs they had to do it for reals.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Wait why is it a dumb premise?

Because it's a lazy way of giving the protagonist pathos and ignorance of the setting, but the necessarily brief glimpse we get of his life before the story proper starts undercuts our ability to care about what he's nominally lost.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Wasn't that also one of the characters in Mothership Zeta?

There were like three you met plus a bunch in recordings.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

How is it lazier than giving the player character amnesia in your favorite Fallout?

The Courier doesn't have amnesia. He or she is just a totally blank slate who can be as ignorant or aware as the player wants.

But it's also not an issue of laziness. I'm sure they've put a lot of work into their dumb premise, complete with flashbacks and lovingly designed ruins full of dioramas they've set up to give you emotions. It's just wasted effort, like all the father/son crap in Fallout 3.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Bholder posted:

How is that different from living in a utopian vault, which we need to leave to face the dark and evil real world?

You could and did return to Vault 13 to do side quests and get an ongoing sense of the community and your place in it. Bethesda did something similar with Vault 101, but I don't think it really worked either because so much of that was bound up in James, who was a total nonstarter as a character.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

I hope I'm getting trolled and this actually isn't a spoiler

It's probably the premise. These were leaked to Kotaku in 2013 by someone at the studio that does Bethesda's voice recording:

There were other details in the leak, like the fact that at that point the game began in a cryogenic sleep tube. Compare the concept art dude with the voiced player-character in the trailer. The new skintight vault suit looks like his, down to the cables, the piping, and the ribbing on the sleeve. Look at how the trailer emphasizes the same community before and after the war. It seems pretty concrete.

But hey, at least they were also looking to cast a new DJ, so Three Dog probably isn't back.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

JawKnee posted:

What parts of FO1 and FO2, besides the intro songs, would you say are reminiscent of 1950's Americana? Because there's a whole lot more that aint.

There's actually lot of it, and people remember it really clearly because it's played up in loading screens, manuals, and stuff like that.

What people tend to miss is that just as much in the first two games, particularly stuff like the look of building tilesets and the design of weapons, was based on the way that a lot of eighties and early nineties SF riffed on the fifties. The 10mm pistol, for instance, is Nixon/Carl's revolver from Frank Miller's Hard Boiled. It's retrofuturistic, rather than a straight take on the era.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

mackintosh posted:

Some of that is probably true, some an educated guess. It doesn't look like F4 is using a brand new engine, and if it is, it seems to be heavily reliant on its immediate predecessor. We'll know when they release gameplay footage. It's crazy to speculate purely on a basis of a reveal trailer.

It helps if you realize that that piece came several months after the VA Sides leak to Kotaku. That leak revealed the location, several of the factions, the whole soldier/cryonics setup, and a bunch of other stuff.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I'd love to see them challenge themselves and their own preconceptions but the sheer financial success of their games does beget an inherent conservatism. That said I hope that they push themselves creatively and tehnically - you can do it guys!

They actually did that on Fallout 3. Proper companions weren't supposed to be part of the game until there was an overwhelming demand for them amongst fans, so they were added really late in development. That's why Fawkes, Charon and RL-3 wouldn't originally activate the purifier despite the fact that radiation isn't a problem for them. The ending was already kinda set.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 4, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Ahahaha I see it now. What the hell is the 23rd month?

It's 23 October, 2015. Which is cool cuz the Great War happened on October 23 in Fallout.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but New Vegas turned it so random chits and bullshit could become food and bullets and water and whatever else out of a vending machine on top of that. Like if humanity waited a day to kick things off all the problems would have been solved.

Yeah, but it was probably doomed anyway. It was the Think Tank that came up with that stuff and they were super nuts.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well that and the stuff about Vault-Tec and the pre-war Enclave group having planned the Vault system to be some sort of grand social experiment to see how people would behave in isolation and space and poo poo.

Only they needed a reason to jam all these people into their experiment so they kicked off the Great War with the Chinese.

Tech like micro fusion cells would've made oil unnecessary in the end but the war had to happen any way.

I don't think that there's any real answer as to why the Great War happened, is there? I don't think the Enclave kicked it off, I was always under the impression that ZAX or its Chinese equivalent fired the bombs to avoid losing at Chess, but I dunno if it's ever set down in stone.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's almost definitely fake since she takes credit for the Kotaku leak but the Kotaku leak didn't come from a Bethesda employee, it came from an employee at the studio that does their VA.

As has been pointed out before, most of the stuff in there that seems true-ish was in the Kotaku leak months earlier, or could be an educated guess based on that.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Snak posted:

I'm sorry, I've played fallout 1, 2, and 3, and I don't remember FEV/What it is?

FEV, or the Forced Evolutionary Virus, was a bioweapon developed in the last days of the resource wars. It was a bespoke disease designed by West Tek, which would prompt rapid and generally beneficial mutation. It's what turns humans into Super Mutants. But since it's fairly precisely designed, humans who don't fit a pre-war (Prime Normal) genetic template tend to wind up mutated in sub-optimal ways. Which is why The Master was so interested in Vault Dwellers. They'd become proper mutants. Much of this research occurred in what is now known as the Glow. It was a supersoldier thingy.

When Avellone wrote the Fallout Bible he attributed a lot of what had been left up to radiation (giant ants, ghouls, etc) to ambient FEV.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 5, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Snak posted:

yeah I just didn't remember what it was called. I never beat fallout 2, so if it was explained a lot in that one, that's where I missed it. I got all the endings to fallout 1 and remember that there was a process for making supermutants, I just didn't remember that it was called FEV.

It's all in tapes and computers in Fallout 1, mostly in The Glow.

Also New Vegas gets crazy Fun pretty quickly if you go into it without thinking you're a hero. You're just this guy doing odd jobs as hard as you can and pretty quickly they involve shooting ghoul mormons into space or maybe genocide by accident.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Snak posted:

This is probably the issue. I'll probably get to it after I finish my summer class and plow through witcher 3. But if I can't get into it, I'll probably go play fallout 2, since I've never beat it. every time I start it again, the tutorial section is such a turnoff I'm practically burnt out after a few hours. I love fallout 1 so much, but the really boring beginnings of 2 and NV are a real turnoff. I never played any of the DLCs for 3...

Oh that reminds me another thing that messed up NV for me. I got GOTY edition, which meant I got all the DLCs, which was good, except it also meant I got all the "pack" DLCs and I started with like, infinite items. I think I ended up just stuffing my entire inventory in a container somewhere so that scavenging could have a point.

What platform are you playing on? Cuz there are mods that can help with all the preorder poo poo.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

What are the positives of the legion because I havent seen much so far.

In theory the Legion is a temporary measure. Caesar's intention is to take over the Republic and moderate their decadence. It's also allegedly safer and freer than the Republic provided that you're not a Legionary or Slave, but you only meet like, one dude who actually lives in Legion lands full time so that's kinda shaky.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The Great Khan thing was always weird to me. Aren't they the raiders that try to murder you in FO1? And still raiding? Why does anyone care about them as a group beyond that? Legion I can buy caring because they're nothing but rapists and slavers and raiders and assimilating those guys is the Legion's thing, but the Khans have a history of being booted from place to place but not killed.

It's complicated. They've been at war with the NCR since before there was an NCR. They were formed from one of the four factions that emerged from Vault 15 after the Vault collapsed into violent conflict. So there's this long shared history there. Most of their raiding's basically an extension of that conflict, since the only raiding they ever seem to do targets Shady Sands. Sure, they had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders, but on the whole they're pretty chill people who the Republic's treated like poo poo for years. Garl Death-Hand could get along with Killian Darkwater, so clearly they're not that bad. There's a quest in Fallout 2 that involves violently driving them out of their ancestral home and killing most of them so that the NCR can use its tech to launch a violent and corrupt expansion campaign. I think that raiding and doing violence against the people who have been brutally oppressing you for ages is not really that evil a thing to do.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

If I'm remembering right the only way to join the Khans in the first game is by beating their sex slaves to death because their boss is bored with them :raise:

Like I said: They've had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders. But the wasteland as a whole is a pretty toxic place full of horrible people. The NCR is habitually way worse, and so is House by the time New Vegas rolls around.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

There's still supposedly some big announcement coming. Multiple journalists have gotten emails telling them about something codenamed Fallout 4.1 that's supposed to be disclosed pretty soon. Some people think it's gonna be more promo material, and some people think it's gonna be a non-numbered game or spinoff, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it were a Zenimax owned-and-operated platform for DLC and mods. Probably with payment options.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That would be the dumbest thing in video game history

It would eclipse the last stab at paid mods in the process, admittedly, but I have faith in the creativity of video game publishers when it comes to doing the absolute worst thing possible.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

Wasn't there some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda in regard to payment following the release of New Vegas? Unless I'm completely wrong (and I hope I am) I can't imagine Obsidian signing up for that again.

Naw. In fact, Obsidian has apparently been in talks with them since and from all accounts the layoffs (which were the real bitter pill, rather than the lost bonus) had more to do with Microsoft cancelling a launch title for the bone.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

closeted republican posted:

NV's issue is that it talks about new socieites, but everything is still run down like it was a generation after the bombs fell. Abandonded buildings are everywhere despite it being more than 200 years after the bombs fell and places where people live, like Aerotech Park and the various barracks in places like Nellis and Crimson Caravan, are filled with trash. Even Vegas, which is supposed to be some sort of jewel in the oasis, looks very run down and has a barrier surrounding it that looks like it was made by an army of hobos, not killbots.

I dunno. The trash makes some sense to me because these are mostly people who don't even have electric lighting. Same goes for the strip, which is mostly run by the families, who are tribals what've learnt to be Disney park Mafia types. I can totally buy people squatting in pre war buildings and not minding their own trash.

But I do agree that it would've been much better if we'd seen NCR architecture. I mean they do have an established style that's all round edges and clay. It's genuinely really striking in Fallout 2 when you reach the capital and it's all adobe and fresh pavement and force fields. I guess it wouldn've been a bit expensive to come up with the art assets but it would've made the NCR war more distinctive.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually just about everyone seems to have electric lighting thanks to fission batteries.

Do they? I don't really see proper light in most communities up until after Helios 1. It's almost always super dim. But I play with darker nights and simple streetlights, so that probably has an effect.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The easiest way to see it is right after you leave Doc Mitchell's house. Before you head down into Goodsprings, look on the porch and you'll see a fission battery hooked up to wires to provide lighting on his porch. All of the working streetlights in places like Freeside use them as well. There's also plenty of lights that don't have one but are usually in buildings with running generators. Fusion and fission power mean that fuel is pretty much a non-issue for anything pre-war.

I know about the hookups, but not every building has 'em. Either way, not everyone is supposed to have power, which is what The Lucky Old Sun is all about. Maybe I was just extrapolating too much from what quest NPCs said rather than paying attention to where they actually stick lights.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Do we think Harvard (or alternate universe Harvard. Not sure whether the franchise would be allowed to use the title "Harvard University") survived the apocalypse?

MIT did, and they're like under a mile from each other. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd been taken over/obliterated by The Institute though.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

khy posted:

The thing for me is that I always felt like the Capital Wasteland was the superior ENVIRONMENT. The world, the wasteland, the towns, the capital mall, everything in CW felt better than in NV to me.

Of course, NV balances it out (And moreso) by having better NPCs, more quests, and better gameplay mechanics.

I guess I ought to look into TTW one of these days...

I think the relevant concept is stage design. The Capital Wasteland is better staged, complete with very super-scripted, super-linear moments (like how your first proper encounter with a mutant is supposed to be in the metro after dodging the raider/mutant cross-river fight by the entrance). New Vegas conspicuously doesn't do that. Hence the very abbreviated tutorial.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I imagine "The Institute" is MIT though, its name just changed because people are lazy or some paint on a sign went missing and people just rolled with it.

I imagine they'll also fit the same stereotype of any higher place of learning in sci-fi and look innocuous but actually be 100% evil when you get to know the mad scientists who run the place and presue their own experiments with reckless abandon. Or be an entire faction of nothing but lawyers. Which ever is worse.

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if MIT had taken over all of Cambridge or put Harvard to the sword.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

New Vegas is cool and beautiful and has way better quest design. Pretend I posted beyond the beef dot jpeg

FillInTheBlank posted:

InExile doesn't have the team to be able to do a good game till Bards Tale is finished in Oct 2017.

Apparently they've got the rights to Meantime, a cancelled Interplay project that Fallout rose from the ashes of. Barring sequels to their successful kickstarters, I kinda think that's what they'll do next if only because it seems like something that's clean up on crowd funding.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I ultimately prefer NV as a game but the guy is right that the opening of Fallout 3 is better

Eh. Not really. The Vault part really drags, especially since none of the characters are remotely interesting but it insists on ignoring the core gameplay in favour of having you stew in characterization and tone-setting for ages. After that's finally over, there's still poo poo that's stage managed for you for ages on the MQ, and which feels utterly silly if you've so much as done a handful of side quests. It's a game so in love with its own bad story, characters and mise en scène that it makes you smell its farts for like an hour and a half before properly cutting you loose to enjoy the story of how your father totally saved the wasteland despite having tragically been born without a personality.

New Vegas dumps you into the game with a super brief tutorial that's totally optional.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

That's my complaint with Obsidian is it seems that they have to put crafting and damage threshold into every game they make, to some extent.
That's not why I buy your games dudes.

DT is actually super cool and you should just deal with it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I doubt they'll ever answer what happened to Canada, but if they do, they'll probably just make Quebec their Enclave that massacres anyone that doesn't speak their french correctly.

Quebec got the gently caress murdered out of it, which is why the survivalist's rifle has the French word "arrêt" scratched on the stock. There's probably nothing left based on how disturbed Randall Clark was by it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Zeron posted:

I'm pretty sure Todd Howard said in the aftershow that skills were taken out for the preview to avoid spoiling them. Can't really be assed to actually look back through and find it though.

Pretty excited about most of the stuff that was shown, but the ingame UI looked awful and the pipboy UI looked like a reskinned version of the awful UI from 3/NV.

SunAndSpring posted:

Did he? Oh good, that's a relief.

What he actually said was that they intentionally weren't talking about Perks. He also mentioned that content was going to be gated by perks. No mention of skills at all.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Looked at the house customization vid and saw there's a stand for the SPECIAL bobbleheads, and it does look like they've got bobbleheads for skills, as there's one for Barter in one of the menus. Of course, this could just unlock a perk for you called Barter, who knows. In any case, there's 7 spaces on the bottom rack for your SPECIAL stats, and about 13 spaces for other bobbleheads. So maybe they're sticking with the 13 New Vegas skills?

I think it's more likely that skills and perks have been reorganized into skill trees. The skills will just correspond to the trees.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Crap, so your character really does get shoehorned into a straight relationship?

Also he or she is a veteran. So you're a straight middle class pre-war veteran (or an android implanted with the memories and appearance of a straight middle class pre-war veteran) who has a baby and a dead spouse you're gonna be sad about.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Until about 5 mins into the game, and then you're just some shmuck crawling around in the dirt doing a side quest to get parts for this sex bot so you can infiltrate this night club to get some sweet cash.

What I'm saying is the main plot/starting point of these sorts of games are all kind of easy to ignore.

It's harder and harder to ignore it though. I mean Fallout 3 made a huge deal about your past and your dad and you could stumble into that all over, and now that the protagonist is voiced for the sake of telling a stronger, more coherent story through having a stronger and more coherent main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm not sure if it's just up like that all the time but I noticed Obsidian has a suspiciously large number of job openings right now

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs

It's probably for Pathfinder, since the QA position involves D20 experience.

• Locked thread