Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What exactly am I going to do with a bloodbug proboscis and bloatfly gland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ah, an (alternate future dystopian) American classic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, most of the games have started you with 5s in everything and then give you 5 points to spread around freely--in other words, 40 points, while this gives you 1 in everything for free and 21 points, which is 28.

e: f;b

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

One reason out of many why this game would be better taking place after Fallout 3, and not concurrently like the footage seems to be hinting

What hints?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Family robot says 200 years have passed when you first meet him

I thought the robot said "about" and all talk has been ballparking the figure at two centuries instead of pedantically saying "two hundreds and seven years" or something like that, but eh.

Speaking of two-hundred year anniversaries, tomorrow is Waterloo's!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

2house2fly posted:

[in voice that gets increasingly louder and angrier as the sentence goes on] why did they even make realistic human robots and then make them slaves and then program them to not want to be slaves???

:suicide101: "Great job, guys. We built a robot that looks exactly like a human. Let's not take advantage of its undying loyalty and human appearance to create the perfect spy, but instead use it to do menial poo poo any normal robot could do, and give it free will so that it resents us for it. This will never fail."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently the VA for Jack in Mass Effect is the voice of lady Survivors

https://twitter.com/courtenaytaylor/status/611300490744344576

Now I can pretend Fallout is what happened to Earth after the Reapers were defeated.

e: oh, apparently she was also Gloria Van Graff among others.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 18, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Wait a minute. The voice director for this game is literally named Kal-El Bogdanove? God drat Hollywood people.

He's actually the son of a comic book artist (unless there are two people with that rather, uh, remarkable name), but otherwise, yes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And yet, if you go along with it, it works, so who's the dumb now!?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

If the remnants of the remnants of the remnants enclave show up again but this time you can join them and lead them to victory it will be the best of all possible fallouts.

Who better, after all, to lead the Enclave back to glory but a living time capsule of the era they are trying to reclaim?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bholder posted:

I think since everybody was crying how the Brotherhood are supposed to be assholes not good guys, they are going to be the one of the enemies this time.

I did notice the player blowing one up in the video. And also blowing up a raider dressed in Brotherhood style armor.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Those smuggo bastards, naming their airship after King Arthur's boat.

Do we know it was Brotherhood? I would be amused if it was the British invading again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

At that point, the Brotherhood are basically beaten in the West, so killing them is kind of kicking an old dog, even if it's a dog that used to be the size of a small bear and eat people.

Lots of people resent them for putting a bomb collar on your neck and making you run errands if you didn't have Veronica to vouch for you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'd like that if they iterate the idea a bit more so you don't get murdered by an entire town if your rep is even one degree into the red (also maybe adjust some values so just killing one dude (who deserves it, even) doesn't send you all the way to max negative rep). Ditto firing squad for the offense of picking up a soda off a desk.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Walking 'cross the desert, when suddenly Boone caps someone I don't even see, and suddenly I'm Khan enemy number 1.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

I just really want to be a dad. I'll wear a fedora, a sweatervest, and smoke a cherrywood pipe. I'll make a nice house with a den and a room for my child with a plaque that reads "I love my son". I will listen to the radio while drinking a mug of coffee and reading a pre-war newspaper. I will also build a nice big town so I am also Mayor Dad. That is my character for playthrough 1.

same

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

quote:

Fallout 4 has a full weather system that sends radiation storms across the world.

Fury Road full conversion confirmed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lotish posted:

Fury Road full conversion confirmed.

quote:

but Howard says they aren't doing cars or anything as well.

Boner-kill

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Just bring in Skyrim horses and reskin them as motorcycles.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I still don't understand how a device that scrubs radiation out of water can so consistently vent radiation into the control room.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever designed Lamplight was a sadist who knew perfectly well those kids were impossible to bypass

Whoever approved Lamplight was an idealist who thought there must have been a hidden path besides the torturous official sequence.

I tried every way I could to get through the radiation rather than deal with them. They exist solely to make that one kid-friendliness perk a good idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On PC, I'm curious if we're going to have dialogue mapped to the number keys, or are we going to have to click on them with the mouse. One is DA Inquisition and the other is DA2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, that is the point of my post.

I was agreeing with you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If the graphics are so bad how did I convince my family that this was legitimate found footage:

I choose to believe that you are telling the truth, because I know people who think the movie Apollo 18 was a documentary.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Speedball posted:

They had that big base in Fallout 3 and were prepping to take over territory in Fallout 2; they already had the Navarro base on the continent. But basically they were overly concerened with mutation and were convinced they were the only real humans left so they were even more isolationist than the Brotherhood, so territory-grabbing took a backseat to "keep the United States, all one of them, pure"

Honestly, playing a member of an Enclave organization would have been an alternative to what we're getting without having the time-skip thing and been in keeping with the origins from F1&2. The whole "we're the original US" could have lent itself to complete period propaganda saturation, so you might even start the game in a simulation of what the world was like as part of the indoctrination education system, so you know what you're fighting to reclaim as they suit you up and send you into the world. Then your mission goes wrong, your power armor could be badly damaged, and then you have to get by with your wits and what you find to establish a base and decide for yourself if the wasteland is worth saving or if the old world is worth rebuilding.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Fallout 4 will have the Midwest Brotherhood from Tactics invade with their army of robots from Vault 0 against The Institute with their army of androids they've built and their new secret weapon, Liberty Prime Mk. II.

I'd be down for this. The Midwest Brotherhood was remarkably successful, but definitely not good guys, though I guess depending on your ending they could be a bit different (I never actually finished, but I understand that you put a human brain into the control module for the robo factory and which brain you choose can lead affect the kind of people that get to survive).

SexyCommando posted:

Wait is the Railroad stuff just speculation based on the name or are they literally shoe-horning in a cheap slavery analogue for emotional impact.

The people running the Railroad certainly think what's happening is slavery, and I'm pretty sure you supposed to too. Depending on how you build your androids though, I think it's like no different than Mr. Handies.

edit: In case I'm assuming prior knowledge on your part, there was a Railroad for android liberation out of the Commonwealth in Fallout 3. It's not speculation except to assume that it will be back now that we're almost certainly going to the Commonwealth.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 19, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If I wanted to be forgiving of the Railroad, for the sake of argument, I have to imagine they were people originally from and invested in the culture of the Commonwealth who feel the android "slavery" was wrong and that's what they want to address, and they built the Railroad out into the DC wastes to create distance from the Commonwealth (regardless of the fact that the Institute doesn't see that distance as any reason to stop pursuit, given the value of what's lost). The Railroad are unloading the androids there, but are not actually cognizant of local concerns, like the actual real human slavery that dominates much of the place. They're fixated on their thing and that's what they put their energy into.

So yeah, they're dumb, naive, ignorant and/or inconsiderate, but I can imagine real people being those things.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

khy posted:

Guys, the more pressing question about the android is : WHAT DO THEY EAT. Can we expect the world to provide sustenance for the androids or will the lack of any synthetic fuelling stations shatter our immersion and cause us to go on a 3-page rant about the horribly broken mess?

Futurama already answered this question

Poolparty posted:

immersive alcohol crafting system

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

frajaq posted:

I only want them to tell us more about the Perk System, THATS ALL I WANT TODD

Yeah, Boston means nothing to me personally, but perks are paramount.

If they cut Shotgun Surgeon or And Stay Back, I will hang myself. Deathclaw-bowling with a shotgun was a grand ol' time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Everyone is scared the first time they become a father; it's only natural.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I see no reason why not, given what we've seen. Though I might take some agility to prop up Endurance or Perception depending on how much they affect AP drain and accuracy respectively.

Luck is a given, though, yes. I love crits and I love loot, so plusses to both are tops.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

We thought Fallout Shelter was about the End Times. We didn't realize that Fallout Shelter... was the End Times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

He said it's strictly optional if you do the settlement at all, yes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought literally everything being nuclear powered was something that started with Fallout 3? Or am I mistaken.

Fallout 2 gives you a fusion cell powered car.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wonder if they're going to have weapon centric perks like Cowboy or Shotgun surgeon given how much you can tweak stuff. Unless they focus on the ammo type instead of weapon type. Like, if it uses flamer fuel, then you can get the Pyromaniac perk with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

By and large, in 3 and NV, many skills didn't really do much until you hit a threshold. Like, you need 50 lockpicking to attempt a normal lock or 75 Guns to shoot this rifle without penalties. Taking the point sink aspect of that and just simplifying it to those break points doesn't really, to my mind, change the gameplay that much, especially given how many of the perks in 3 were just +X to skill Y.

But the nice thing with skill points was you could get them and perks at the same time, so you could always advance towards a threshold that would let you do something/access perks at the same time that you got perks that let you do newer and cooler things. So if they only give you one perk a level, and you have to choose between basic "let you do thing" perks and "neat/cool/weird" perks, it'll be super annoying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Someone already suggested that a four button system could just have a "more" button to access another list of dialogue options, but another tweak that would allow for more would be to have a "page" button (like Right Trigger) that lets you flip through up to four options at a time, each hot keyed to a face button. That would honestly be better for me than scrolling through a giant list in the rare situations a giant list comes up.

The system as shown doesn't have to be a death-knell of four-plus dialogue choice options.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 22, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Just to be clear: that perspective visually distorts the size of the game world. The first and more obvious reason is that it's in aerial perspective: the city of Vivec takes up about 5% of that image, but in the actual game world Vivec is more like 0.5% of the map, meaning the lower portion of the map is 10x larger than it should be while other areas are reduced accordingly. The other one is sort of what you said, Morrowind uses a lot of vertical space, and this creates something of an illusion when viewed from a low angle like that because the steep slopes make the horizontal distances appear deceivingly small by comparison. If you want an accurate image of how big the game world is, look at a top-down map and compare it to some real-world location.

so basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Dialogue wheels are bad because sometimes I just want to say "no thanks" but the dialogue wheel says "NO AND ALSO gently caress YOU YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo"

What the wheel said: "This interview is over."
What I expected: "This interview is over." *walks away.*
What I got: *right hook*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know what would have side stepped the issue? If the "punch him" button was labeled "[Punch him]."

Just sayin'.

• Locked thread