Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

The Legate is pretty badass, its also very rewarding to talk him down in the final boss level then again it was also fun to talk down the Master in FO1. I like boss fights that can be resolved in ways that don't involve brute force

I like that in anchorage which is the worst Dlc, your only option is to kill constantly until the final boss, who you can convince to suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I actually like anchorage a bit but it's wierd that they made a huge new map abd a bunch of original environments and assets and turned the game into a wierd experimental corridor shooter thing instead of more fallout.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mortimer posted:

A building with spooky ambient noises? Yeah FNV has tons. FNV also has places with atmosphere and story like Vault 11, something FO3 writers couldn't ever think up.

Remember, Fallout 4 isn't made by the company who fully fleshed out eight companions with quests and backstories, it's made by the company that thought "A vault of clones named Gary" was the pinnacle of zaniness XD

I agree. Sometimes I mix up my Invader Zim DVD's and accidentally pop in FO3. It's the same kind of dull boring humor I can't really tell the difference between them.

It's hard because the last game of this type to have static weapon damage and varying accuracy was Morrowind and people vehemently hated that combat. Even though it was RPG-like as hell, literally internal d100's rolling for every action, people hated it because it didn't have that punch that 100% hit chance does. A game like Oblivion can have scaling weapon damage with player skill and get away with 100% hit chance easily, you can attribute the lower damage to having tiny baby biceps (low weapon skill). Fallout3/New Vegas can't use that excuse because a gun does the same thing no matter who uses it. One mod for NV flattened all gun damage but made the scope sway wildly with lower skill. I thought that was maybe a bit too much, but for the game to slide back a few notches from weird FPS to good RPG something like that seems necessary.

The goofy stuff is cool and I hope 4 has a lot of it also.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah, they were fairly cool premises in theory that were kind of lame in practice since they relied on a single (weak) aspect of the gameplay. They should have built them out a bit more or improved on the combat mechanics.

I'll be pretty disappointed if their e3 stage demo doesn't have a section going over the ways they improved the gun combat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ymgve posted:

"See that mountain? You can snipe an enemy over there."

You can snipe them from the other side of the mountains now, if you have a spotter.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

How long does the nexusmods site stay down for usually? I can't access it atm.

They made a run on the mods, now they're all gone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

i feel like this is just being silly

It's being very silly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V look better than this. It's also really cringey that the producer can't come up with anything besides a whiny "We don't care what you think" excuse when confronted with this.

You're a big silly billy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

echronorian posted:

Pretty sure if we all get on Twitter to tell Pete Hines how ugly fallout 4 is he'll cry

Thats mean.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really hope the game is very good and a lot of people like it, but if its just okay instead thats cool, and if its really bad thats also cool, but I don't think it will be.

I dunno if they'd be able to convince anybody the writing improved but it would be nice if the stage show would do something like show off different ways of handling the same quest, for instance.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Fallout makes my brain all gooey and is one of those games my fiance will also play with a stranger fiery conviction.
I want to believe this will be a good game.
The trailer did look a bit janky though.

I think the only stuff that looked off was the prewar stuff, compared to the rest of the trailer, the level of detail and textures is way lower than the game in the wasteland proper.

If you wanted to be optimistic maybe it's just a first pass permutation of the starting area of the game, and they didn't bother with it much because its an area only used for the intro, but still wanted it in the trailer because of the visual contrast of the two times.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 7, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

What if theres.... three factions..... even four............

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I'll really miss the humor of Fallout: New Vegas the most. Obsidian writers can write some funny poo poo. I can't remember anything from Fallout 3 that was comedic in a good way.

This guy and his whole area was cool, I wish they had expanded the finding the national relics part of the game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also Moira, who is the best.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Point Lookout was also cool and funny in a way that was generally agreeable I think, The duel between desmond and calvert and the braindead cult built around them was a comical situation but also gave you more player choice and options than all the other dlcs. If they go down more that route I'd be pretty happy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

See, the problem there would be that Fallout is good and the Witcher isn't

I like both, but haven't played 3 yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

there can only be One Good Video Game and all others are the worst

If you dislike the video game product that I like, that means you dislike me, and if you like the video game product it is impossible to appreciate or enjoy its vague competitor, because that is a betrayal most foul.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

The Witcher 3 is better than any Fallout game in any aspect you could name.

Number of friendly robots.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

I know I'll be unable to resist trying it, even though Bethesda has never caused me anything but absolute searing agony. I think something is broken inside me that I continue to give them money even though I hate everything about them and all of their works.

I came here because I need to say what I bet a lot of other people have said earlier in the thread, that I've never felt so alone as when I speak rationally about how abominable Bethesda games are, particularly in the narrative-and-dialogue department, and it was a genuine moment of bliss to see the piece on "Fallout 4's Best Dialogue." I don't think anyone's ever...agreed with me on that before.

didn't one of Bethesda's nightmare fuel Fallout 3 DLCs imply that aliens had caused the nuclear war? I have never been so furious about any creative decision in my entire life as I was when I heard that

You seem really cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LEGO Genetics posted:

I once met someone who liked Mothership Zeta.

We argued for three hours.

It's me, lets go.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aliens are cool and rayguns are cool and spaceships are cool, your turn.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdx1M9Qj_Mw

The mothership zeta theme was really cool too and I wish they had put it up somewhere at high quality because it only exists as a stream off the fo3 website.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PervertedLogic posted:

Looking at the big 4K screenshot, I wonder if that's a mock-up for an upgradable home base? You have all sorts of "displays" and it looks like we will be collecting skylander type pip-boys judging by the display in the image. Going by the same logic, that power armor looks awfully modifiable with interchangable parts.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned; I can't tell in all the FO3 vs. NV crap.

I can say that the weapons might be modifiable in an interesting way, just by that laser rifle on he wall. Besides the replacement stocks one of those pieces looks like a new housing for the entire body.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

catlord posted:

I enjoyed Mothership Zeta well enough, I liked the classic sci-fi styling and it was nice to get alien rayguns like FO1.

Point Lookout though... I wanted to like that one but it was just a bit... eh. Some day I really want a Fallout: Louisiana, but if Point Lookout is how Bethesda makes swamps, I want somebody else to do it.

I enjoyed he new setting of lookout but the parts I liked the most were the multiple quests that were a bit more open ended and also stuff like the Chinese spy quest you find by accident.

If you read a note in the lighthouse you can follow a clue to get a replacement bulb and install it for no real benefit other than it works now. It was a neat touch.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think it will outsell skyrim in its lifetime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

As long as I don't have to hear Butcher Pete again, I'll call it good.

In Fallout 4 they will finally turn over that record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGDnqCV53w

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

the only song i want a fallout game to have is "what a wonderful world" it is the most fallout song to never be in a fallout game

I love louis but that's closer to the 70s.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If I get my way there'll be more billie holiday in this game, or else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69CS90p-s80

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

the bombs fell in 2077 and the song fits close enough to the series' 1950s post-war sensibilities that it would be fine i think

Fair enough, it's all fantasy anyways.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

it's really obvious you only read the first one-sentence paragraph of that post you quoted and not the second multi-sentence paragraph of the post you quoted. would you like to name a memorable NPC from Fallout 3? I'll wait. no googling.

the vast majority of media I gulped as a kid I hate on re-experiencing. really not a nostalgia victim here. you seem to be fixating on an out that, in your mind, doesn't require, like, actually addressing actual statements. do you remember any of the followers in Fallout 3?

Moira, the robot who thinks hes Button Gwinnet, Desmond and Calvert.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RL-3 is my favorite companion, because robots are the superior form.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

isometricness has its ups and downs. New Vegas proved you could make a good Fallout game in Bethesda's nightmare fuel engine. combat sucked, sure, but it kind of sucked in Fallouts 1 and 2, too, where it was just less visceral. every time Ian or Sulik died during a long enemy turn and I had to wait two minutes before I could load my game because the menu was inaccessible...loving ugh. combat has never been the games' strong suit.

I admit I do remember Moira, just because I had to keep coming back to her for her stupid pointless quest. I assume the robot is the guy in the wig in the capital, which would be a joke you remembered, not a character. and I don't remember Desmond and Calvert but I only suffered through the game many-abortive-starts-and-finally-once. and I do remember they decided to murder Harold and Bob for no reason in FO3. and I know Liam Neeson was there, and there was 3Dog. anyone else? TUNNEL SNAKES RULE? basically, the only cast who form memories are the ones with gimmicks attached to them (Wasteland survival guide quest, joke robot, Liam Neeson, Fallout 1/2 character they decided to kill for no very good reason, annoying radio host, and whoever Desmond and Calvert were).

The robot is a character with a lot of funny dialogue and the whole idea around him is silly and cool, I don't see why that makes him not a character.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Unless you mean you didn't like it and therefore I can't like it, which is absurd.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the other intelligent super mutant that's just wandering the wastes and being incredibly friendly to everybody, even if you try to rob him he just misinterprets it and gives you things for free, because it would be the nice thing to do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The characters are shallow mostly but theres a bunch that standout and are cool, so I hope to meet some more in Fallout 4, which will probably outsell skyrim and set a new standard for roleplaying games to come.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

I also remember Ocarina of Time's Navi. that doesn't maker her "memorable." it makes her blandly viral. are you claiming 3Dog was a strong character? there are no goalposts, you will never succeed in persuading me that Fallout 3 had any good characters, but you might at least persuade me that there are people on Earth who thought that it did who have some sort of reason, even if it's not one I'd ever agree with.

Why even post then.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

khy posted:

I remember the first time I did the quest I didn't know about the override so I did the quest EXACTLY like Betty told me to, then the big reveal that your father was watching you do this guy's evil bidding the whole time was crazy.

I also remember saving at the beginning then doing all the most horrible, evil, vicious ways to accomplish each goal. Like making a kid cry by murdering his parents, or by breaking up a marriage by framing a woman for murder, poo poo like that.

I can see a lot of people finding a lot of things about FO3 boring, but honestly that entire bit was so unique and interesting I can't really understand how people could have forgotten it so easily. Even the 'good' method of completing it involved unleashing chinese soldiers to murder everyone inside.

I'm a bit sad I didn't get to see that part of the questline until later because I found the override room and immediately figured out the puzzle by just messing around for a minute, but also appreciate that you can just do that if you want.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

because SA posted a bit about Fallout 4's Best Dialogue after the announce, which resonated deeply with me, and when I came around earlier I found like-minded peoplewholikegoodwriting. then I was reminded this terrible project exists after being bombarded from all directions on social media during the stream this evening, and came back hoping to again find sensible people. I failed in that.

I just post about stuff I like usually and have fun doing that, its what I suggest to others also.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

really an inversion of the flow here. if the entire internet weren't busy telling me how great this thing with a track record for horribleness was is gonna be, I wouldn't be bothered. the stimulus is built into participating in the werld wyde wab.

I do not understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

Did they say how many weapons the game is gonna have? did I miss something from the showcase?

50 base weapons that you then customize to change their behavior so "700" combinations.

• Locked thread