Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

Yeah but you have to go through all those caverns scrapping 483292 stone blocks and twenty uranium deposits. Granted, a lot of the dialog was funny :)

I used haxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

Console commands aren't allowed in Survival.

There's all kinds of mods that make getting settlement supplies a non issue.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

The Vault-tec population management system is more worth it than the rest of the expansion combined.

It circumvents a lot of the bugginess, but not all of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

snoremac posted:

Are the triggers for quest-based DLC placed inconspicuously in the world or are you pointed towards them fairly directly?

Directly. You gotta listen to radio stations to get the map marker but that's all. There's level requirements before the radio station becomes available as well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's an insignificant event anyways.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

Is their a mod for ps4 that lets you start a new game with high level, or with an old character or lots of starts to puht into whatever perks you want?

There's all kinds of cheat mods that can give you consumables that give you a bunch of xp and things like that. You can just pop a bunch of those when the game starts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish I could go back in time

So do your parents

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Finished up the end of nuka world, was kind fun but having the general of the Minutemen also be the raider king seems pretty stupid. I went to the settlements to tell them to leave with my minuteman hat on.

Make sure you go have a chat with Preston to tell him the bad news about the settlers who need our help.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fwiw it's a pain in the dick even when you have fast travel enabled.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
On top of what all has been said, I'd add that you should always keep moving. Grenades and mines will one hit kill you, so you've got to always be a fast target. Especially since raiders turn into MLB pitchers when they get a Molotov in their hand.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i like deathclaws

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I started a new survival game and installed some damage rebalance mods. They increase the player and AI's damage to 4x, and headshot damage is 20x both ways. Combat is super punishing and fun. I could kill raiders with one shot in the torso with a pipe rifle at level 1, but I still die all the time. I'd recommend giving a similar modifier layout a try.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It is amazing how much the Jetpack changes the game. It's almost on the level of "you can use levitate spells again" except that they don't really use it properly at any point. Still, getting on top of stuff, being able to almost engage in tactical maneuvers and other stuff is cool

The fact that you can't use it except with power armour and that it eats fatigue like nobodies bidniss is just poo poo but hey, thems the breaks for that game

UCO has a jetpack you can craft that's independent from power armor.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

i like fallout 4 and the base building is the best part of it

This statement seems carefully crafted for the purpose of pissing off everybody on both sides.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad it's this thread and not the New Vegas one that broke because this thread will probably be obsolete sooner anyways.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Danse is far and away the best imo. Fallout 4's story as a whole kind of sucks, but the BOS plot with Danse is probably the best writing of all the faction quests. I think Caits would be a lot more fun if it was inspired more by Raul's story in New Vegas, where you got the choice to have Raul put his past behind him and stop run and gunning, or go full gunslinger. With Cait, your only choice is to have Cait put her past behind her, or to not do the quest at all, which is lame.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dejawesp posted:

Trying my hand at a new game of survival. Having fun but I think I lost 3 hours of progress from dying in about a 6 hour session. I'm starting to get confused because I can't remember which of the things I did that was lost due to death as I revisit areas I cleared earlier.

Take more naps.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfsheim posted:

They got their probz but no one else does the thing they do better

Like Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've literally ever played but Bethesda has the junk-hoarding open-worlding do-anything shallow-combatting-and-questing down to a science. They also make a huge amount of money doing it, to the point that I'm not sure why there's not a dozen Skyrim or Fallout clones in the same vein of GTA clones.

I finally bought The Witcher 3 the other day since the goty edition was on sale. So far I'm not seeing it being a better RPG than FO4. Feels like you're watching a movie about Geralt. The writing immediately feels way better, but idk. It's just not sucking me in. I've never been a big fan of that sort of medieval fantasy genre, but I still played the poo poo out of Skyrim because it was a great first person RPG. The Witcher 3 is not having the same effect so far. It's kind of reminding me of the issues that come up in the assassin's creed games. If the protagonist and the theme are fun and interesting to you, you'll like the game. That's how I was with Kenway and bad mother fucker rear end pirates in black flag. If you don't like it, you won't be interested. That's how I was with syndicate and the whole steampunk Victorian England thing I didn't care for. It's only really well done first person rpg's that can transcend the theme and character and get people to play because they like the mechanics, the freedom they have in making their own stories, and that feeling of the entire world being interactive. You know, role-playing. And in that regard, Bethesda is still light years ahead of everyone. Although, I think FO4 was a step backwards, and hopefully isn't foreshadowing for more attempts at ruining the only thing they do well.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 29, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dejawesp posted:

I never got further than the first village in Witcher 1 because I really don't like Geralt as a character. Maybe the game is good but the game is all story and the story didn't click for me.

The Witcher 3 has a really cool war dynamic going on in the world. If I can impact that in some way and have fun with it, I might be able to put some hours into it. But otherwise it feels like a dud because yeah, Geralt is a really difficult person to be invested in. He's monotone and reserved, he's got his own established niche in a world that you were just born into, and he's a badass who already had poo poo under control and you don't even really need to be there. It feels like I was dropped into a new job in a new field and partnered up with a guy who has been working there for 20 years, and he's been told he has to listen to me and do everything I say. And we're just kind of awkwardly sitting there together with him stewing and refusing to talk to me because what the gently caress do I know, and me staring at the clock wanting to go home because he's right and I know it. That's not a very fun role to play imo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Power armor is a double edged sword on survival. Increased carry capacity, but you also have to maintain it. The easiest way of living in survival i found was to set up water purifiers at every settlement that allowed a decent amount them. The castle, nordhagen, egret tours, the boathouse, sanctuary, etc. Then i put all the emporiums at every one of them. Lastly, I got all settlements, put a bed indoors somewhere, and connected them all with provisioners. This gave me a bunch of different rest areas all over the map where I could heal up and rearm. So basically, I stopped gathering junk and loot altogether. Just used my water money to clean out the junk emporium and buy ammo. All you have to do is make it a point to swing by a water city when you're close. Makes life pretty easy. You can also do things like put doctors and artillery at every settlement to make things more accessible from anywhere on the map. Also vertibirds are a big help.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grevlek posted:

Thanks for both of the replies those are both very helpful!

Outside of carry weight, are their any strategies on better managing our junk back home base?

Even if it is as simple as this. I've started leaving all of my 'Travel Gear' in the Mailbox at Sanctuary. As soon as I get there, drop everything I use or intend to bring with me ( weapons, armor, meds ) in there, and then I go to my 'Sale' cabinet and drop everything that I know I'll sell in there, including taking a quick peek at any high VAL junk that is better sold than used. From there I have an 'Equipment' container, where I dump weapons, armor, and ammo in there.

Once I get past that, I kind of just mill about in town and seem to waste time. In storing the rest of my junk, I'm not what I should be keeping separate specifically for crafting? I know that certain items are used in the Chem station for example, but what are they, and where are they best stored?

Are there any lists of 'don't miss' generic loot, so I spend less time pilfering everything?

The chemistry and cooking stations pull from the workshop as well. You can just press the dump all junk button in the workshop interface and you're done.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grevlek posted:

Right, so I guess my question is, does the game know well enough to just use Acid, or another item that has Acid in it, rather than Abraxo? Wouldn't I want the Abraxo to be preserved specifically for the Chem Reaction that uses it?

There's nothing worth micromanaging this. In the case of abraxo cleaner, you're talking about mentats. You're never going to find enough brain fungus to make mentats in real bulk numbers. Meanwhile, abraxo cleaner is everywhere. Jet is the only chemistry component you can really produce in any decent numbers, and it's still lovely because settlements barely produce any fertilizer. I wouldn't even bother making the distinction. If you're hurting for money in the early game, it can be worth pulling out your pre-war money and selling it rather than using it to make sleeping bags, but aside from that, junk is junk imo.

Should be noted that even if you micromanaged the poo poo out of this and developed a whole intricate system where you were churning out as many drugs as you could, you'd still be making pennies on the dollar compared to the water baron who's just grabbing a stack of water from his work bench, selling it, then going about his day while he waits for it to refresh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^water isn't junk, it's aid. And settlements don't produce fertilizer for poo poo. It's w/e.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Maintaining power armor in survival is 1000x easier than the set up you are describing. You need a tiny bit of aluminum/steel now and then to repair and you need to remember to occasionally pick up the cores that litter the wasteland.

Sure, just to be wearing power armor. But when you're maintaining maxxed out x-01 for you and your companion, as well as Gatling lasers and poo poo, it gets a bit more resource intensive. Especially if you build robots, because it's all the same components, and robots are a resource pit. Companions poo poo especially requires a ton of maintenance. Always off trying to get into fistfights with super mutant suiciders.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

X-01 just takes a tiny bit of circuitry to repair, not a big deal. I would never advise putting any companions in PA or frankly even giving them new weapons. PA is definitely something that fits easily into a simple survival run, without abusing water purifiers or basing your build around a late game scenario with 10 settlements and the Minutemen quest line mostly done.

Yes, pretty much every time you stop for supplies. It adds up. And as I said earlier, if you're trying to make robot provisioners or guards or anything like that, you'll already be spending aluminum and circuitry in the triple digits. You can have the entire system I described without doing any quests, really. It takes a lot of work for sure, but it's independent of the storyline. I finished it before I even went to the institute. And smh if you don't give valentine x-01 and a fat man.

I'm not saying your method doesn't work, but it's simple, it only takes a couple hours to set up, and it has a low ceiling. If you're going to start a new game 40 hours later anyways, who cares. But if you're going to build up settlements and put 100+ hours on one save, establishing something like this will definitely give you something to do. And hovering over your sentry bot provisioners in a vertibird with you and a companion rocking x-01 and plasma rifles as you travel to your mega settlement at spectacle island to go do billionaire things on survival is a cool feeling. And once it's all set up, you don't have to work any more. Just kick back and enjoy the fruits.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 1, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

isndl posted:

You're missing the point. The game stops generating items when you have too much stuff in the workshop regardless of type, and junk is simply the stuff that piles up the fastest.

Water is the only settlement production worth anything, and it doesn't matter how full your workbench is with it because it is aid, not junk. If you have water purifiers, they will dump water into your workbench as long as there is no water in that settlements workbench. You can have a workbench with tens of thousands of items in it and it will still produce hundreds of water at a time. It's only junk/scavengers tables that are affected by the total amount of items in the workbench, and you couldn't eat off what those produce anyways.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 1, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah none of that sounds anchored to what the guy ITT was asking for advice about, even remotely. The storyline thing I mentioned because you explicitly said to use artillery and The Castle. I have 559 hours in FO4 according to Steam but I have never had a single game over like 40 hours, I don't think most people who play this game do either.

He said he was getting frustrated with menus and micromanagement, I explained my system that allows me to never have to fuss with that stuff. Walk/vertibird to a nearby water settlement, dump all junk, grab water, walk ten feet and sell it, buy all the stuff I want, dump any junk I bought, and I'm done with almost no limitations. No micromanagement necessary. I said you could use artillery and every settlement later if you wanted, but that obviously isn't a requirement when it comes to sustainable inventory.

And I disagree. I went through a bunch of 40 hour saves, but eventually that gets repetitive because this fallout doesn't have as much replay value. I think a lot of people get so involved with settlements anyways that they don't want to start new saves and delete them. I know some people with just as many hours who've put it all on one save. There's more than one way to do things and I think that is ok.

isndl posted:

Except my settlement with triple digit water production wasn't producing triple digit water until I cleared out the thousands of junk I had in the workshop. The engine doesn't care what the items are classified as, it just sees 10k+ or whatever number of objects in a container and says that's enough.

Ymmv. I've not had that problem, although I have had scavenging and fertilizer production stop. Did you use one settlement as your only base where you dumped all the junk you ever got in the game? That might be it. I've got tens of thousands of junk, but it's spread throughout my supply network since I generally just stopped wherever was closest on survival to dump junk. Everywhere still produces water fine. I would assume if you're hitting that limit, you're probably doing just fine junk and caps wise.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 1, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

Water barony in FO4 is an example of "optimizing the fun out of the game." I'd love it if it was somehow integrated or acknowledged by the game, and I honestly expected a bit more with the game's emphasis on creating and linking settlements. The trailers made it look (in my eyes) like you could set up a trading caravan of sorts.

I don't mind it since it's pretty much the only thing linking the settlement system to the main game. Without being a water baron, you can build this huge city with stores everywhere and two dozen people, and it does next to nothing for you. But pop a handful of purifiers down, and suddenly that settlement becomes hugely important to you. Plus raiders coming in and destroying the purifiers hits you in the wallet, so attacks have meaning too. Not to mention that all methods of making money in FO4 are not fun, and are gamey in their own ways. Water is the least tedious method, and opens the door for you to have more poo poo and be able to do more poo poo. If you start to feel OP, just adjust the damage modifiers, or download a mod that does, to give your enemies more even footing. With that and survival you can always keep the combat challenging. But I agree with you. I actually think I remember talking to you right after E3 when I was hype to start a wasteland corporation. Not quite what I was hoping for to say the least, but we play the game we have, not the game we want.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad it doesn't let you save anywhere. Survival separates the men from the boys and you babbies just couldn't make the cut.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Since they downloaded at the same time I can only assume the Fallout 4 and Skyrim updates both have to do with upcoming Creation Club content. We'll see.

The patch notes for FO4 mentioned the creation club.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

N17R4M posted:

drat their oily hides. I almost want to give them money for this. Is there a free mod that does this?

USO.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If I’m going to make the whole commonwealth into raider settlements, is there anything I should setup before I begin that process? I’m playing on survival so I wanna connect some of my poo poo together.

I did this. It was probably my favorite playthrough. I think this video and his other one were the only reference I needed.

https://youtu.be/cgUQCpIbRMo

There are a lot of little rules that can gently caress you out of resources and cash. Pretty sure this dude covers them all. But briefly, raider settlements automatically connect workbenches, so that worry goes away. The new worry is food for your raider horde.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I guess I can’t ever make sanctuary a raider base because of Preston? That’s so Bethesda lol. It’s funny how less elegant their safety ending is compared to New Vegas. I haven’t raised the commonwealth at all but it seems he’ll magically know that I’m overboss when I rescue him even if I’ve never raided.

Yeah you can, but you have to buddy up with him long enough to get him as a companion so you can send him some place else. You also have to complete mama Murphy's questline, and send sturges and all those other fools somewhere else. If you think that sounds contradictory to the role you are playing, buckle up, because raider boss is probably the least accommodated story in the game. It's accommodated very well in the environment though, so once you jump over all the dumb hurdles, the end result is really cool. If role playing is a concern, I'd recommend the institute as a faction. Running it like Stalin fits well with being a raider boss, although you'll lose vertibirds as an alternate fast travel in survival.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So even if I’m overboss I can still join the minutemen long enough to kick him out of sanctuary?

I knocked out the minutemen stuff then went raider boss and never looked back, so I don't remember the details. I think Preston is still available to be a companion up until you conquer a certain amount of settlements in the commonwealth. Maybe 3. He'll give you a warning first telling you to cut it out, but you can still tell him to shut his dumb loving mouth and follow orders and he will.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you guys.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't think there is a FO3 thread so I'll ask here.

I'm playing Fo3 for the first time, and just went with the Fook2 overhaul. Is there a general route around the map to take as you level and explore? Sort of how in New Vegas you'd go south, then east and back up north? I read something in game about the main DC area is dangerous, so I'm wondering if I should head west then north, basically a clockwise loop.

That would take you through way sketchier places than DC. If you're looking for the newbie island experience, just follow the main quest line. At least until the Museum of freedom with three dog. That's the first missions that can be kind of hard. A lot of traveling in DC is just clearing ghouls out of subways to discover places so that you have the fast travel points. You can stumble across some really fortified positions though, so stay hidden and look for blips on your compass. It's a good game for sneaking past people and sniping.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

8 Ball posted:

Did anyone else get a 600mb update today?

1.21 on ps4. There's some free aquatic armor paints in the creation club

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger posted:

I wandered up to Finch Farm and wasted everyone to make sure the quest was cleared out. But it's still greyed-out on Shank's list?

For conquering or vassalizing? There has to be npcs at a place to make it a vassal, otherwise there's no one to enslave. If the settlement is empty and you own it, you should be able to conquer it. But I think what might be going on is something funky with the quest. Finch farm is the one where the son was captured and taken to that foundry. If he's still alive and captured, it's unresolved. I haven't done it in a little while, but there's a few settlements where the npcs are essential and you can't murder everyone and take the workbench. I could've sworn finch farm was one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger posted:

I murdered everyone including the son, and brought in new settlers. Turns out the problem was that i hadn't told Preston about the murdering.

Great work, general. We're really starting to make a difference out here. Now we've just gotten word about another settlement that needs your help.

• Locked thread