Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm just gonna predict the beginning of the game. You start off just before the bombs land. You go through your army physical or something to set your stats, learn the controls by wandering around a bit, and interact with all your neighbors and wife or husband. Then the bombs start dropping, you run to the Vault with your family and then you enter a cryogenics pod and advance 200 or so years into the future. You wake up, but everyone else is missing, so your main goal is searching for where your family and neighbors went.

I'm... saving this for later because you're probably depressingly correct...

And you'll probably end up the SAVIOR OF THE EARTH because your of your clean pre-war DNA or you know the entry code to some important military installation or some poo poo that makes you feel special but does absolutely nothing to increase player agency.

Hoping for a player power to, I don't know, blow people away when you shout really loud in your Basten accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Was so ready to hate this pre-E3, now I'm already budgeting time and money for this in November. The way power armor looks like it's handled is EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. The weapon customization looks to be a game-changer, as well. Laser muskets will be first stop on my play-through. Have they released any system requirements yet?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Guys. Guys. The Junk Jet has a "Ignition Module" that lights projectiles on fire before launching them. Or there's an Electric Module that electrifies them. Deciding between shooting electrified toasters or flaming toasters at raiders will be a weighty decision that might just break the entire experience for me.

Parsing through the gameplay trailers frame by frame is fun. There's a distinction between "sighted accuracy" and hip-fire accuracy as well. I wonder what that implies as far as Skills are concerned...

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 16, 2015

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Don't know why everyone is so worked up about the VA dialogue. By the 4000th time your character says :smuggo: "Shocking!" when you score a critical death-strike with your energy weapon, your brain will have chemically lobotomized itself to not care anymore.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Shooting actually looks good and the weapon modding looks loving amazing. Im sold on this poo poo.

Full agreement. Hopefully weapon modding will make it possible to upgrade and use your favorite weapon for a very long portion (or entirety) of the game, rather than the usual Bethesda set-up where you have your unique items in the same location, and it's just a matter of 1.)Find Gauss rifle 2.)Win game.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Mr Tastee posted:

I wonder if the vault-tec guy you slam the door on comes back as a ghoul.

now that you mention that, all my money is on one of the companions/important npcs being a ghoulified former neighbor or acquaintance of the PC, and your dialogue options "fill in" the missing years of both your lives.

that and a sexy android being a companion

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

So judge dredding by this image here, I'm starting to get the feeling that feeling that a lot of the (at least high level) combat will revolve around shooting off the plate armor of dudes with explosives or heavy weapons, then spraying their soft, pimply flesh with high DPS weapons.

Could be good if they actually tweak the AI and mechanics so that power-armored dudes actually take advantage of their high defense -- either hang back and pound away at you with miniguns and explosives, or trudge up to you with a melee weapon to kill you in 2-3 hits. But it's Bethesda, so nope.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Honestly having to shoot through armor to kill dudes sounds cool at first. But like with any "complex" combat mechanic along those lines, I can easily imagine it getting to be really, really obnoxious when you reach high levels and every enemy starts showing up in an entire scrapyards worth of armor and fights become slow slogs unless you specifically spec in explosives or something.

Same thoughts here basically. If there's a whole set of perks associated with wearing PA "better" then it could lengthen the playability of the mechanic. In fact, I can totally see Bethesda making a skill-tree for PA with names like "Power sprint" "Mailed fist" "Legs of Steel" "Abs of Steel".

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I say take the New Orleans idea one step further and have a sequel set in chunks along the Mississippi River between New Orleans and St. Louis. Lots of amphibious combat, TONS of American history and culture crammed into one geographic feature, mutant catfish societies, river boat piloting, floating cities, gambling.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I've done my very best to check previous pages, but since this thread is one giant blathering maelstrom of inanities, I didn't actually try that hard. Anyhoo, I don't believe I've seen much or any discussion here about how we all "feel" about Critical Hits now being a rechargeable, on-demand feature instead of a dice roll mechanic.

Sound off! Give me hot takes, dammit!

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Proposed Thread Title Change: "Fallout 4: How 'bout That Fallout Shelter Game?"

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Kinda surprised at all the people getting huffy about the lighting. Bethesda are a bunch of screw-ups, but I don't think you can accuse them of talking up their graphical fidelity very much. The vast bulk of their PR has always been about the game's vast open-world/emergent gameplay, crafting system, and voiced protagonist. Also, yeah, it's on loving consoles. We do live in a world where a zombie survival shooter mod of a six year old game was a smash hit and a there's whole cottage industry of games centered around retro graphics.

Fun is fun, and I'm going probably going to have a blast crafting a trash-cannon that shoots flaming billiard balls -- and you will too, OR ELSE.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, I'm sure the events in New Vegas will matter in some way the next time Obsidian touches the series if they ever do.

Obsidian will never get to touch this series again, for as long as this world is spinning. The sooner you embrace that basic truth, the sooner all other, higher truths will reveal themselves to you.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Does anyone know what the hell happened to The Vault wiki site over the last year or so? It used to be so legible, organized and up to date, now it's a loving mess to my eyes at least, and doesn't really keep tabs like it used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Rob Haldorson posted:

I laughed pretty hard, especially during his commentary on dogmeat.

I laughed pretty hard during his not-too-obvious impression of Red Letter Media Plinket reviews.

Hah, I get it now. It's a derivative review of a derivative game! It's like an onion: it's making me cry alone in my kitchen.

• Locked thread