Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Everyone in this thread's gonna buy it and have over 4000 hours play time, like they did with Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, the graphics aren't the best but they are far from terrible, infact, graphics are the last thing I'd give a poo poo about in Fallout.
All I want is to wear future robot armour and shoot lasers at mutated dudes/shopkeepers/dogs, everything else is secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think it looks pretty good, at least the atmospheric effects and lighting are definitely a step above bethesdas other games.

Oh yes, it looks a lot, lot better than previous Beth games, it's pretty much what I'd expected it to look like after Skyrim.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Might as well put this in here, Chris Avellone has left Obsidian to pursue new projects http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

I wonder how this will affect Obsidian in the future if they ever do work on a new Fallout game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

Is this like if they got Ainsley Harriot in, for us Brit goons?

Gregg Wallace from Masterchef I'd say.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

Historically, Bethesda hasn't done right by PlayStation when it comes to Fallouts. Weren't 3 and NV unplayable due to memory bloat?

It took nearly 12 patches to finally make Skyrim properly playable on PS3, and we got the DLC's in reverse order because of all the troubles they had implementing them, Dragonborn was released first, followed by the House Building DLC and Dawnguard last.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Wait, when and where was LGBT dialog choices confirmed? Because all I've heard so far is that Bethesda has shied away from allowing you to define your sexuality and instead force one on you.

I don't think you'll be shackled to someone who may have died in nuclear fire, unless you want to forever play as a grieving widower type I suppose.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Lotish posted:

One of my favorite moments in Fallout 3 on my (first) 360 was when a power station's geometry exploded and bits of it were rendered in long stretches across the wasteland, one side visible and the other not.

I was one of those unfortunate people who downloaded The Pitt for Fallout 3 on the day it was released for 360, there was giant exclamation marks where ingame items would be, the bridge leading to the Pitt itself was a death zone as it wasn't properly rendered so you'd die to radiation the moment you touched specific parts of it, raiders were flying into the sky, and the moment you tried to enter the Pitt proper at the end of the bridge, the game would lockup.

Bethesda had accidentally released an unfinished version of the DLC and it was quickly removed and replaced, but not after us early people got to play this hilarious mess.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yaos posted:

Big mistake, Bethesda has not confirmed mods for the PS4.

I eagerly await reports of Xbox Ones being bricked by bad mods, and if you are buying Fallout for mods on consoles, then :lol:

(I'm playing it on PS4)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Digital Foundry says both Xbox One and PS4 have issues but the PS4 has slightly less of them, which is good for a change.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I am looking forward to doing my traditional Unarmed Weapons run for my first playthrough tomorrow, Power Fist all day, every day.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I think Sanctuary is now a safe place to live, I have left it being defended by 8 Gun Turrets, 3 of which are laser turrets, and I have set up a few guard posts which my laser toting Settlers are wandering back and forth to, and I spent more time than I should have building walls everywhere so there's only one point of entry, the main bridge, which my own house is near, and has 4 gun turrets facing it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Well I fired Dogmeat for Colin Moriarty's long lost sister Cait, and she's a pretty amusing follower, she's incredibly Irish though, the only thing she's missing from the stereotype list is that she's not a drunk.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

At least Dogmeat doesn't care if you rob a store or kill a settler, he just woofs at you like usual but most companions get pissy with you, except Cait who is the evil companion, there's probably other evil ones around but I've not found them yet.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 12, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Stronger probably wouldn't give a poo poo either, but he hates it when you use Power Armor.

He gets pissed off if you pass charisma checks or hack computers, so he's the perfect companion for Cavemen players.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

frenton posted:

I lost my dog. Does he go back and wait for you somewhere or does he just stay wherever you lost him cause I have no idea when he stopped following me? I fear he has died :[

Check the Red Rocket Gas Station or Sanctuary, he's usually at one of them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

frenton posted:

Thanks! If he's not there should I assume he's dead? I got into a couple hairy battles that I just ran away from cause I'm a big babby and that's when I noticed he wasn't with me anymore. I really hope he didn't die defending my honor but he seemed like a pretty loyal pal sooo

Never fear, Dogmeat is immortal, he's been shot by Mini Nukes and walked away afterwards in my game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm just happy to hear different voice actors in a Bethesda game for a change, rather than hearing the Imperial Guards from Oblivion coming from every male NPC, it's Garrus instead.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Something that does annoy me is Super Mutants wielding Missile Launchers, they seem to have pinpoint accuracy and they blow you up in a single shot, or completely cripple you which is nearly as bad, I can't get angry at the Suicide Bombers with Mini Nukes though, it's hilarious.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

blueberrysmith posted:

Is there actually a point to building out settlements? I've been skilling up towards Local Leader but I'm starting to feel like that was a pointless endeavor since I just dump all my poo poo in the same place anyway. What's the point of supply lines in that case? Am I doing this all wrong? I don't really give a poo poo about building a pretty house, I just want to endlessly snipe things.

The game never forces you to build Settlements, it's just there if you like base building and can be 100% ignored if you don't.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It's kind of a meme among a lot of people that "Man, Bethesda is so mad that Obsidian made a good game" or something. It's not the first time I've heard it, but I haven't really seen anything to verify it.

It's mainly come from people defending noble Obsidian's honor from the big meanies at Bethesda, even though Obsidian have said time and time again they'd be delighted to do another Fallout game, so there's still hope for New Vegas 2, I guess.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So ever since the very first quest that gives you power armour with low batteries I've never worn it, I've also found the game incredibly hard. One of the first quests they send you to a factory to kill some mercentaries and there's like 50 of them and I'm in there with absolute scrub weapons and almost no ammo.

I'm guessing I'm supposed to find batteries around the world then use those batteries to use my suit in special situations? Is there any way to re-charge them? How should I be using my suit?

Think of the suit as super mode, only using it in the toughest fights to stride amongst your enemies like a Steel God.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

2house2fly posted:

If Obsidian don't make a spinoff who else would? Bioware maybe. I used to joke about Bioware making a Fallout game. It would have a fully voiced main character, dialogue wheels and companion romances. Ha ha.

Machinegames aren't up to much after releasing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and are also owned by Zenimax, could be good if they make a Fallout game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus, Vault 95 does not gently caress around, Assaultrons are crazy strong and I got vaporized instantly by their eye beams, this trip had better be worth it Cait!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

If anyone's wondering how to unlock companion quests, just do things they approve of, for Cait as an example, drink booze, pick locks and be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat to everyone in conversation and she'll eventually open up and give you a quest.

Of course the time she chose to give me her personal quest was right in the middle of Super Mutant territory so her heartfelt conversation had Super Mutants yelling "DIE NOW HUMAN" and "STUPID LADY" in the distance.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Why does everyone get so upset when I give Murphy her drugs? Buncha short-sighted goobs.

Companions can be weirdly specific about likes and dislikes, don''t lockpick or hack computers with Strong nearby, he doesn't like it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It's very similar to the system in Dragon Age Origins where you would piss Morrigan off by helping people or doing anything nice but if you gave her gifts, she'd love you, this could be done with every companion.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Danaru posted:

Hey you know who doesn't judge you for playing the game the way you want to?

Dog.

Dog is always the best companion no matter what game and also real life. :colbert:

Can't argue with this, Dog doesn't care if you shoot Settlers or shoot up Diamond City, he just keeps on happily woofing at you.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

To be fair, Boone made New Vegas hilariously easy, you wouldn't even need to lift a finger in combat as he'd kill everything and give you all the XP for no effort.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its really nice. Also you can put bandanas and goggles on dogmeat but you have to equip them for him :3:

You can also do this to the Settlers and NPC's in towns you own and build, no more reverse pickpocketing everyone to put them all in dresses or Power Armor.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I'm almost 20 hours in and I haven't built a single structure anywhere, but I haven't had any invasions at all. Is it tied to a certain point in the storyline? I just rescued Valentine, for an idea of how far I am into the main storyline.

Invasions happen randomly, and only to Settlements you either own or have helped out with Minutemen quests.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Just had my first Sanctuary Invasion, I fast traveled back there to drop off my new Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor and I was greeted by the sounds of gunfire and lasers and a large, angry crowd of Super Mutants were menacing my turrets which I had placed on top of buildings for just such an event, my settlers, all 18 of them, where doing their own thing, which was firing wildly at the mutants.

I'm glad I was still wearing my Power Armor, things could have been worse without it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dreadwroth posted:

I'm seriously not impressed after getting to the first raider stronghold and getting murked by turrets. I'm glad I haven't paid money for this garbage, New Vegas was better, Did they try to say it wasn't a Gambryo joint, because it's totally a Gambryo joint.

A GBS Goon sums things up pretty nicely.

King of Bees posted:

Regular person: Heard a lot about this game, any good?
Disheveled Goon: *sweaty face, rank from fifteen hour FO4 gaming session* Wait two years and buy it for $20 with all the DLC.
Regular person: Eh, I'm not really concerned about the price. It will be worth it if i enjoy it. And I can wait for the DLC. Is it any good?
Disheveled Goon: *burps* Bethesda, Obsidian *farts*
Regular person: Honestly... I'm not invested in who made it. I just want to know if it's fun to play?
Disheveled Goon: New Vegas! *starts pissing himself* New Vegas! New Vegas!
Regular person: *backs away* Can you at least tell me which console to buy it for? I have both.
*Goon explodes*

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

flyingkiwi posted:

Has anyone who walled off most of a settlement dealt with an attack? I planted a bunch of crap so my food+water way exceeded my defense, and immediately got attacked by a herd of feral ghouls, except they just ran into one of my walls for five minutes until I found them and they aggro'd on me. Did they not expect people would make walls?

Probably not, most people would probably let Gun Turrets do the brunt of the work.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Glowing Sea's a pretty cool location to stomp around in with Power Armor on, they should change the name to Radscorpia though for how many of the loving things I've killed while down there though, seen a few Deathclaws sleeping ontop of rocks in the distance too, that was pretty tense.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Honestly between the rape metaphor song, the racist song and the misogynist song maybe they should've been a little more selective with their soundtrack choices.

I don't think you'd be able to use any 50's era songs then.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

I unlocked the better armor upgrades just in time to head into the Glowing Sea to find Virgil and holy poo poo did having lead paint on my suit do wonders. I took a single rad away the entire trip.

Is the Glowing Sea the best place for farming legendary equipment? I have some really great rifles but want a goddamn minigun that spits fire.

It is, if you don't mind wading through hordes of Radscorpions and Deathclaws.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

afkmacro posted:

So it's probably been mentioned but I missed it so has anyone fought and won against the swan monster?

Yeah, he's easy as he's no different from other Super Mutant Behemoths.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It's probably because Corvega is a very vertical stage and the Bandits are firing at you from both above and below you, and are rather accurate with Molotovs, not to mention again, a new player will head there very early on armed with maybe a Pipe Gun and probably the Vault 111 suit which isn't that hot for protection.

Then there's the Power Armoured Raider with the Fat Man stationed outside the place who will probably blow you up a few times.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Where do I put a water purifier? I tried putting one on dirt but it didn't work.

In water, because it purifies water, so a pond, or a river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

flyingkiwi posted:

Strong dislikes it when you get into power armor or pick a lock which is going to become a real problem moving forward

However, Strong likes it if you eat people with the Cannibal perk.

• Locked thread