Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So uh

Why is shaun an old man if they had the technology to make kellog a 108 y/o middle aged gunslinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Namaer posted:

Kellogg is more machine than man. He gave up his humanity to be an rear end in a top hat forever after his family was killed.

Well yeah, but kellogg when you kill him is still of free human mind, which is the only real requirement to making the blueprint of synths immortal.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What the heck is up with this thread? Only one I've seen that consistently eats the last post. Usually that's just server issues. Could just be on my end, though.

Contribution: not a big fan of the Scientology faction in nuka-world having a tangible INT buff to their cult shenanigans.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

I snuck out of a fight between some Children of Atom and some Gunners in power armor the other day

, Terrible cretins.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

I was in power armor and doing the sneaking.

UHURHURKK

Ah yes the Power Armor, if you're looking to upgrade The Atom Cats Garage is the place to do it, although not on a budget.

Have you heard any word about the other settlements?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The brotherhood of steel showed up in the commonwealth and announced that they’re hear to help and then some guys jumped out of a helicopter and started trying to kill me. I assume that’s not how it’s supposed to go down?

Sounds like they're making good on their promise imo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That's something that also irks me about the institute. They're literally just the BoS but cleaner and more secluded. It feels like they realized they went too hard into writing BoS as Noble Good Guy Paladins in 3 and needed a new standin for a big threat. Their tech is also pretty bizarre considering BoS and splinter faction Enclave had direct government support; how did the institute end up with a thousand ultrascientists?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On a more positive note, I do think F4 is far better written than most of Bethesda's prior games (even if I dislike them aping Bioware's speech wheel and adding voice acting to the MC). There are a scant few quests that I'd say are almost Obsidian tier, and most of the non-main quest stuff is okay.

BoS are still insufferable but that's just the hole they chose to dig.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

null_pointer posted:

I remember the BoS being really reasonable in New Vegas, but wasn't that the "yeah our mandate is to collect tech and help the locals" chapter? I do know that I never wanted to harm them, but the BoS in F4 I had no problem turning on.

IIRC they're still very isolationist, and take their "we're the sole hope for humanity" stuff to extremes (Veronica's girlfriend is excommunicated because they want to encourage procreation). Also if you convince Veronica to leave the BoS, they will attack and kill the charity faction outpost she intends to join.

Like most factions you can improve them though. That's something I really liked about how NV separated morality from factions; if you had positive morality/negative morality the endings would speak of your character making the faction better/worse, even the worst/best factions.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's real dumb that you cant use unarmed weapons in the super strong exoskeleton

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Idk if they mutated everyone they abducted but they certainly weren't mutating institute scientists

It's a shame that they never address what happens to most abducted people, it would help with the moral ambiguity if the abductees became members of the Institute, sometimes involuntarily. They'd be ignorant of the fact that they were replaced, and could have some of them (like Warwick) trying to contact their above-ground family and being punished.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Counterpoint: pretty lovely to take your supertech and gently caress off to the moon, regardless of if he can pull it off. Obviously the player softens that if they have positive rep, but it's still a rich (in tech) guy taking his wealth offshore, even if he's einstein that's still not very good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I can see fleshing out the story being an "additional goal" that they just didnt finish before the main goal of 'automate another system" was done.

Daggerfall had a procedurally generated map, Oblivion had npc routines you could punch in, Skyrim had randomly generated quests, and now FO4 has added diablo style randomly generated loot and bosses. I wouldn't be surprised if someone high-up is single-mindedly pushing towards a goal of "an engine where the only people we pay are the artists we outsource to."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
While we're hijacking the thread into being a new fallout story thread, I liked that even the bad slaver faction in NV had some moral positives that explain how they're as big as they are.

Basically, they came from the southwest states which had become raider hellholes (Iirc Arizona in particular), they slowly pacified all the warlords and gayboy berzerkers and forged a functional and peaceful (albeit hosed up) society that was far preferable to hiding in a crumbling shed waiting to get captured by a psycho.

IIRC Raul says as much when you ask him about the legion, and he certainly isn't someone who would naturally support them (what with being a ghoul).

It helps contrast the nuance absent in FO4, that even the worst faction of NV has redeeming values without muddying their alignment, while in FO4 all factions are objectively pretty poo poo or incredibly stupid.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
No matter what faction you pick, it's possible to talk down Lanius by arguing that the Legion will spread itself too thin by expanding into the east, ensuring a withdrawal by legion forces and (common sense conclusion here) effectively a ceasefire between them and your faction storywise. Every ending but the one where the Legion capture the dam ends with the Legion breaking apart within a few years of Caesar's death, though.

If you wanted to argue in the Legion's favor, it was always going to break apart even if they conquered the dam and the rest of america, just as the real roman empire did. From there you'd have a continent of civil nation-states interacting peacefully with a [formerly] unified base culture. If it werent for Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 establishing the northeast as "pretty much the same as pre-bombs, just filthier and with twothree new races", one could argue that they're best equipped to tame the new world (and eventually killing itself and its abhorrent policies). As of now though if you keep all the games in mind the Legion's purpose ended by the time they reached the dam. Unless they decided the push northwards, which is probably not possible because Something.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 1, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Why do people feel the need to defend the warband built on a foundation of slavery and rape.

I've actually never played a Legion run of NV despite doing all the others, I just think it's interesting in a what-if way. The first time they lost at the Dam their conquest was halted and the empire was thrown into doubt, it's obvious that they need expansion to focus on to survive, like a wildfire.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Because this is what European and western society was built on. By admitting it's awful, you're admitting your own motherland/fatherland is also just as if not more awful. So people try to double down to avoid any feelings of societal guilt. As opposed to acknowledging and moving forward.

"Just call it bad and move on" is a pretty ignorant way to approach history. Digging into the motivations of a 'bad' society doesn't mean you're praising them, any more than a coroner is worshiping their autopsy specimen.

The ugly reality isn't "our history is bad and we're scared of saying that", it's "the bad things that happened in history were done by human beings, who in some way or another thought they were right in a way we also may have believed, and that's terrifying". Terrifying enough that it's worth examining and simulating to discover the base motivations abd influences that cause those situations, to avoid them.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 1, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kind of disappointed that Bethesda didn't continue anything from NV, since Dead Money established that a Brotherhood splinter that wanted to be more active in the wasteland existed, and they would have been a good choice for FO4's (down to being small enough to have a Big Bad Leader ala Maxson).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

edit: Wow poo poo...rape camps, crucifixions, danny trejo VO whose character is super unreliable tells me the trains, which they dont have, run on time, hate gays, sounds pretty swell i guess NCR and them are two sides of one coin

How the hell is Raul unreliable? He's a mechanic and marksman whos most shady past was scavenging to provide for his sister. He lived through the bombs and had settled in Arizona for a time. If anything he's the most reliable source for how the east was pre-Caesar. What do you have against Trejo?

As for the train japes, the concept of stability vs. freedom isn't exactly alien to the modern world; you have Syria, Libya, Iraq, and Gaza vs. West Bank as examples more topical than WW2.

I've only seen one dude defend the institute ITT, everyone elsr knows they're a dumb faction with hackneyed reasons for being bad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

They had no reason to force people to become mutants, no reason to abductband murder people, no reason to draw suspicion on themselves by embedding suspicious figures with robot spines in communities that they were sure would die out eventually anyways, no reason to dump a bunch of prototype synths aggressive to everyone in random buildings, no reason to teleport said terminatorbots randomly towards scouts of a powerful zeppelin-based faction, etcetera etcetera.

The only flaw with any nuance or depth is the 'slavery is wrong' bit that the player can disagree with (being the new Father of the institute) with the antagonist being AOK with that disagreement. It's as tepid an appeal to decency as Shaun being a tepid appeal to emotion. Their objectively bad existence is entirely related to unexplained cackling villainy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Another way to think about it is the Institute is clearly bad but was done in such a way where i had many friends think well, maybe good or ill, i can turn them around

No one went into FNV besides the people that played it like 500 hours and read all of ropekids posts would have been like like you, first or even third run, im going legion by the time they hit nipton or searchlight

....and the latter is proof that there isn't nuance there?

The fact that the Institute is bad for such flimsy reasons is precisely why people think they can be fixed. Because they technically could, if they acted like functionng people. It's like if a killer robot is really nice for 23 hours then goes "MURDER EVERYONE" in the last hour each day; that's not nuance, it's bizarrely nonsensical.

E: for the record this isn't Obsidian fanboyism talking; NV might actually be the gamebryo game I've played the least (because I didnt delve into mods for it), and I still think 4 is Bethesda's best written game, as backhanded a compliment that may sound. I considered the legion more complicated on my first run, admittedly because Raul was my companion of choice.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 2, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

There is no reason to think the Institute can be fixed beyond the players own thoughts, much like a legion run.

Like yeah you can do a legion run and tell yourself in FNV everything worked out alright but there's not a lot backing that up.

I mean, technically you could assume that the institute is fixed because you can address slavery in game, and then imagine "as new leader of the institute PLAYERCHARACTER made them stop doing the dumb poo poo that made no sense, the end."

You cant do that in NV because all the faction ending dont end with you replacing the insane leader.

That said, I'd argue that there's plenty backing a presumption that a legion victory would eventually result in them crumbling and being replaced with tolerant states; the majority of their endings result in the legion crumbling after Caesar dies, just as the real roman empire ultimately did (which is obviously intentional on RK's part). Caesar gaining access to the rest of america just pushes back the Legion's expiration date, and makes their dissolution larger-scale.

If you're willing to presume that the unexplored areas of Fallout America are still hostile wastes similar to Arizona then it's possible to see them as a lesser evil compared to NCR AKA New America, which would likely only expand if there already exists civilization with something they want (like the Dam).

Of course, that requires tolerating a lot of short-term atrocity (since you dont become New Caesar) that is crucial to their success, which is why I never did a legion run. And because FO4 establishes that the old society is still around, just grimier and with shinier money :v:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 2, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Siding with the Institute is clearly the evil ending, like you're not going realistically tell them wow slavery is wrong outside you're own head and they're like gawsh you're right, okay.

That's more up to personal optimism of what would happen than any real in-game proof. What we do know is that it's a society of scientists, they didn't balk at making a sentient synth child modeled identically after their leader, they have nonsentient generation 1 synths that can do what they wanted generation 3 synths do, and you have multiple synth companions and allies throughout multiple factions capable of proving gen3 sentience.

And if we're speaking realistically, in any followup game to 4 Bethesda wouldn't risk the backlash of going "oh that speech you got to make which was interesting? Yeah the scientists without power armor and Legendary Raiders rear end of the Seer and exploding revolvers overthrew you because they didn't like it" :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

The bolded part is a wild-rear end guess.

There's going to be tons of people left who either do not remember a thing before the Legion or remember it as that time when there weren't raiders and who cares how anyone who isn't a baseline male fared. They could easily cargo-cult the old days. Or they may not. Who knows, and that's the problem. We've seen what the status quo of the Legion vanguard is already, and the few remotely concrete bits and pieces we heard of their core lands (such as they are) don't exactly paint a rosy picture, so assuming things are going to swing hard humanist when there's not even a kernel of humanism to pivot on is borderline delusional.

Fair enough, by tolerant I meant "by the standards of what came before them". They could get worse, they could get better, just like how things happened with the old roman empire. The only guarantee is that so long as they maintain their stability and strength, raiders will continue to be incapable of walking in and butchering people anymore.

Not sure what's been wrong with Obsidian's recent output; I've only heard good things about PoE, but I admittedly haven't played Tyranny. Giving it a quick google, it seems right up this convo's alley.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 2, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Ever since New Vegas came out, every Fallout thread ever has degenerated into "Legion is evil!" "No they aren't!" "Yes they are!"

It's not even really "legion isn't evil!" in this case, so much as "Legion would ultimately peter out and the resulting states would be better than before they existed!"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, the drug vaults are the fo4 things I have the least problem with; seeing as the vaults themselves were involuntary tests first and bunkers second, I could see a pharma company going "hey, you're allowed to do inhumane testing on people, how much to have a vault where we can test our poo poo on a group/use them as specimens to make new medication?".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Furism posted:

I played about 14h of Fallout 4 and got bored. Now I want to get back to it. I'll simply ignore the base construction from now on I think. And try not to OCD about the power armor and stuff. Or should I try to collect all the power armor bits?

Power armor is annoyingly linear with its upgrades, and it's actually cheaper to go from Mark 1 to Mark VI than Mark V to Mark VI, and most power armor drops are leveled loot. So it's perfectly fine to ignore PA for most of the game.

One suggestion though: get good at shooting power armor cores out of enemy suits. That makes them leave the suit entirely, which means more a free full suit instead of a few drops after killing them.

There's a few unique pieces you can wiki, but most of them are either DLC or lategame rewards for a certain faction. Nuka World has a free Mark V X-01 suit with a custom paint job; it's not a good DLC but if you get that suit the only remaining upgrade is bringing it to Mark VI

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Automatron was a nice surprise after the disappointment of discovering that the game aggressively disincentivizes mixing up your power armor.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The only real thing to bother with is to keep your int low early-on so that you can use Idiot Savant to get silly amounts of exp. Stats/crunchwise FO4 has more in common with ES than FO in that you eventually become best at everything.

I wouldn't get high STR early though, because its perks are terrible.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Perception doesn't help your aim outside of VATS as far as I know.

I think having low pee makes your aim wiggle slightly, but nothing serious

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
While we're talking setller shenanigans, dont store your power armor at places where settlers have laser gatlings; they prioritize power armor over all else, so they'll take the core out of their gun, put it in your PA, and use it to defend.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Y'know, the existence of something in a work doesn't mean tacit endorsement, I doubt anyone at Troika fantasized about an IRL conspiracy to create a slave race through rape.

Also there's a huge unofficial patch for Arcanum I'd heavily recommend checking out; it basically finishes a shitload of tech trees, bugs, and missing content, especially on the technology-path side of things.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Way to play into stereotypes, uncle tog'maluk.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If the new thread does stick with 4, I recommend the title Fallout 4: It just does that sometimes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If your only experience is FO4, keep in mind that deathclaws in FO3 and NV are much scarier on account of not having easily dodged lumbering attacks. On the bright side they dont have any instakill execution moves, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I was confused for a second until I realized that I was thinking if the Illusion Tree Gun, which is a separate thing from the dart gun.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think I've pinpointed Fallout 4's core structural flaw that haunts the entire game:

you cant use the cannibal perk to eat your dumb dead husband

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

I'm having sorta the same problem, load times in Boston are 2-3 minutes.

Turn off vsync. No, really. For whatever reason loading is linked to your FPS, so having unlocked framerate will speed things up a little. There's a couple of mods that automatically toggle vsync during loading as well.

It's almost as dumb as Sonic Forces requiring VLC be open in the background to smoothly play cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's actually cache cow content. Everything now spawns in with the brahmin model first to reduce load times.

• Locked thread