Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

It's more the "why bother ever making Sanctuary or Red Rocket look nice when 7/8th of the game happens on the lower half of the map" aspect. Not such a big deal when you're just zipping there from Diamond City via fast travel, but walking through the empty streets of Concord gets old after doing it exactly once.

Vertibirds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Azhais posted:

Yeah, if you're not on a console there's a mod to enable achievements. If you're on a console that mod has been banned.

It's not banned, but it needs a third party program a lot of future mods will need.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sheen Sheen posted:

Real talk I am pretty upset that Bethesda went whole hog with turning Fallout into lovely Minecraft for some inexplicable reason

It's the best decision they've made yet

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Reason posted:

If it had been designed and implemented better maybe.

Just you wait until TES 6

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

2house2fly posted:

The next game will have no dialogue options to get in the way of the story.

I unironically hope that's what they do with with TES 6. Go back to the Ultima/Wizardry style keyword system!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Since Bethesda made an entire game about making farms and other food sources to feed the population, what is the next big thing we need to complain about?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Go back to CoD if you want realistic guns, we cool Fallout boyz like our unrealistic lovely toy guns.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The main point is that New Vegas's writing lent itself to a more open-world gameplay where the direction you had to go wasn't shoved in your face all the drat time. It's just another area Fallout 4 is mediocre in comparison.

Have we been playing the same game?
The first third of New Vegas was all about how to get to... guess, what, New Vegas!

It's all about following Benny's footsteps and you either followed the fully designed roundabout path filled with sidequests that introduce you to the world and factions or you go to the city straight through the overpowered enemies and million signs that tells you "turn around, and follow the well designed path we made".

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, all good games focus on one or two things and do those things really really well. For the next FO/ES game, they need to scrap all this settlement garbage and go back to the series' roots by making the game a solid RPG (rather than an FPS with pseudo-RPG elements) and adding a kickass story with actual choices and consequences for one's actions.

Except Bethesda's root was always FPSs with Pseudo-RPG elements.

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, dude. I mean look, there's about a billion survival games out there that specialize in just that: survival. Why do we need it to be a part of Fallout or Elder Scrolls? It's yet another extraneous system Bethesda would need to sink resources into and get distracted by.

They need to really nail down the core elements first:

• The main story and side quests
  • Character building
  • Player agency (ability to affect the world in meaningful ways)

Once they can get a 9/10 on each of these, then they can work on other poo poo like settlements and survival and weapon customization etc.

Yeah, you don't want that in a Bethesda game, or you really want a complete focus on Fallout 4's masterful writing?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It would be better if there would be 3-4 big settlements rather than many small ones.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

One thing most people tend to forget is that Fallout 3/4 (and the Elder Scrolls games) are conceptually different from New Vegas or most other RPGs out there. The focus in these games are the open world experience, not the story-arc, plot or characters.

It's not just about New Vegas having invisible walls, it's how the world was designed. No matter what path you take, it leads to New Vegas. Better example is Goodsprings: once you finish the quest around the area there's no reason for you to ever return there, it's still the low level tutorial area as it was before. In Bethesda games these towns are always in an approachable position and they also feel more lively, there are more reasons given to move across the map as well, so you'll stop by these towns more often.

Probably my biggest beef with New Vegas how it was advertised as Fallout 3 but better but I was missing the main thing I liked about Fallout 3: the exploration... and the scavenging of old ruins but the DLCs fixed that. Also the overall DLC storyline is more interesting than a bunch of football players fighting over a body of water.

E:

Liquid Communism posted:

So is it railroading in Fallout 1 when you start at the northeast of the map?

Come on, man, you're stretching so hard you're going to sprain something.

Well the towns in F1 were in a straight line so yeah, it was pretty railroaded.
2 did it better.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

They already released said "promised more content"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Gynovore posted:

I really can't understand Bethesda. They spent 89424325 man-hours making a world that's so incredibly beautiful and minutely detailed, then they piss it all away by using a storyline which the developer's nephew banged out in 30 minutes between bong rips.

Why, they have been doing this for the past 20 or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dear god, playing sub-optimally in a Bethesda game? Unheard of...

Let me guess you also never slept in Morrowind until you got +5 on all attributes?

• Locked thread