Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Can you be gay in this game? I've heard conflicting things before the release and I'm a bit curious how it actually turned out. Sorry if it's been asked a lot, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers from reading through the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been playing the poo poo out of this game and out of all the new features, I think my favorite little touch has to be the sound of distant gunfire to lead you to interesting encounters. It's a really intuitive indicator that something interesting is happening nearby and following the noise and hearing it go from distant popping sounds into clear gunshots as you get closer is a lot more immersive than just slapping down a marker on your hud.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy Jesus the Glowing Sea is one of the coolest areas in any of the fallout games. Ran into like 5 legendaries while trekking through it and half of my power armor was busted when I finished. The fact that it takes you outside of the map's borders is a really neat touch to make it feel even more like this insane, alien hellhole that no human should be in. I never thought that Bethesda did big setpieces all that well but I am so glad to be proven wrong in this game.

The vertibird ride up to the Prydwin was also incredibly neat and gave me a major case of "See that mountain? You can climb it" syndrome from seeing all the cool locations I had yet to explore.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jesus Christ What the gently caress is an assaultron? I took that fuckers legs off and it barely slowed down. Out of all the positive changes Bethesda made, the enemy design changes are probably my favorite. Every enemy feels different, and a lot of the high end monsters are absolutely terrifying.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I kinda wrote off the laser musket when I first got it but God drat is a 6 crank legendary musket satisfying to use. I thought the crank mechanic would get on my nerves, but the reload time is actually pretty exhilarating when you're staring down a deathclaw having to juke it between shots. It's just the right mix of difficult to use and powerful when used right. I really need to find a legendary 2 shot musket.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think the worst part about this game is that Glory is not a companion.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I got Tina's brother off jet in vault 81 and it gives me a speech check to recruit her, but when I pass it she accepts and then both characters just stand in silence for a few seconds then Tina dismisses the proposal. It seems like the send her to x settlement menu should have popped up, but instead the conversation closes and the quest breaks. Is this a common issue?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Institute is kinda bad but they have a super cool star trek base so I might side with them. Is there any way to maneuver around the main quest so that both the Railroad and Institute survive?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh well, the main quest was probably pretty lovely anyways. The Silver Shroud quest however, is incredible. Jane Fallout is killing it with these in character lines.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Zodium posted:

:stare:

I should do a run with companions, but I thought the main story was enough Bethesda writing for one game.
Bethesda actually pulled out their A game for the companions. It's some of the most compelling writing in the game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally got a good legendary enemy spawn without any enemies between it and the door that had a legendary laser pistol. Used the autosave trick to reroll the prefix and now I have a two shot laser shotgun nicknamed the heavy prismatic blaster. This thing is so satisfying. It has the beautiful shot pattern and chunky firing sound of a normal laser shotgun, but now it can actually do heavy damage. I can finally dump the overseer's guardian for an actual cool gun!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They are situationally useful against enemies with really small weak points like mirelurks. Since you have a spread you can more easily land shots on the weak point even on a moving target from hipfire. Mostly it just looks cool though. Definitely decent enough to be usable.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 5, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wanted explosive on mine, but two shot was too good to pass up and I was tired of rerolling it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Now go make hundreds of Jet inhalers and spend 90% of combat trying to pull off sweet midair sprinting headshots in slow motion. Jet makes close combat like that twice as fun.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What's the quickest way to farm steel, wood, and concrete outside of scrapping settlements? I'm gonna build a concrete skyscraper at spectacle island and I'm gonna need a fuckton of all 3. Wood I might be good on just from scrapping spectacle, but steel will probably be in short supply. Does anyone sell shipments of concrete or do I have to buy the bags?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What's the best way to get mass quantities of wood? It looks like only Moe sells in bulk and only carries one 100 count shipment at a time. There's no more wood on spectacle island either.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah you could totally ignore Benny if you didn't really care about getting revenge. Though most factions did give you a quest to kill/deal with him since he had the platinum chip which was pretty central to their goals.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Ron Jeremy posted:

I really enjoyed the writing about the two raider gangs, one of whom captured the sister of the other gangs leader.

The raider terminals were pretty great in general, especially when they had entries about you wiping out rival raider strongholds.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I can deal with the elevators not quite lining up with my floors, but I really can't deal with the buttons spawning on the top floor and the elevator itself on the bottom floor. I have to constantly rebuild my elevator and the walls/stairs connected to it because elevators are just straight up broken.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I agree that elevators are a huge pain in the rear end to build but it's worth it when you finally get something cool set up.

My current setup is a 3 story building with a two story bunkhouse on bottom and a third story armory accessible by an external elevator with my power armor and big guns inside. It could definitely use some work, but I really like the way it turned out. Next time I'll build the building around the elevator instead of tacking the elevator onto the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0Ht8kltu0&t=76s

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Suave Fedora posted:

I like how well lit-up the inside of your crib came out.

Me too, I experimented with a lot of different lights and may favorite is probably the string of lightbulbs that hangs horizontally from the ceiling. It's a good mix of wasteland aesthetics and actually putting out a good amount of light.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I love how everyone uses Starlight Drive-in as their go-to whatever thing. I did the same thing, except I turned mine into a Minutemen Army Depot:

This looks awesome!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just spent about 3 hours loving around with my settlement and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.Only thing left to do is build a greenhouse around my crops and expand the manufacturing building into a proper factory. These DLC's have been great for settlement building.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv2pvDedNg

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's not a story dlc so I'm fine with a simple justification for why it's there. If we can use those things outside of the vault then this might be the best dlc so far.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Suave Fedora posted:

Can any experienced builders offer a quick-and-dirty how-to on the cleanest way to build this:

- tall prefab building (concrete, greenhouse or barn modules)
- w/ 4-story internal elevator (preferably dead center)
- power running into the building

I'm new at building beyond the prefab stuff and need larger bed dens for my larger settlements. And I'm apparently poo poo at placing generators, wiring and conduit. My last attempt was putting an elevator on top of a 9x9 grid of concrete blocks (essentially the 2nd story relative to outside) and a generator just outside the base structure as close as possible, with a pylon attached, and that wasn't close enough to wirelessly power the elevator.

Start with the elevator and build your foundation around it instead of putting the elevator on top of the foundation. The floor pieces should snap to it. Concrete looks the best, but doesn't line up as well as barn/warehouse.

Unfortunately the elevator needs to be directly wired into the grid. The conduit set has a useful wall passthrough piece that can let you put a connector piece through a wall so you can wire it to the elevator.

Here's how I have mine set up, though I have an external elevator. I avoided the height issue of concrete walls being shorter than the elevator floors by making the top floor of the building two walls high which actually looks pretty cool with that mesh window concrete wall piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv2pvDedNg&t=309s

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've lost about an hours worth of progress to glitching into something and dying today. Survival mode would be super cool in a functional game, but not being able to regularly save in a bethesda game is just frustrating.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Zephyrine posted:

The game has so many beds, mattresses and sleeping bags that ground zero may very well have been a bed factory. I doubt there's a 200 meter radius that doesn't have a bed or three in it.

I'm in pretty high level territory and I don't really remember any beds close by, so I don't really want to go exploring too heavily. I wouldn't have an issue with if I had died in combat, but it's incredibly annoying to just glitch into the floor and die immediately.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Scaffolding makes for a pretty cool guard tower.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

horse mans posted:

Okay, well I hit level 50, Institute ending with nothing to show for it, all of the DLC looks bad, Far Harbor is bullet sponge island, settlements are fun, etc, etc. Should I re-roll with survival mode? Is that any fun? I enjoyed being hardcore in New Vegas because it was an immersive, unique, and diverse world in which to starve to death. I'm not sure I'll enjoy doing that as much in Fallout 4.

I've been enjoying Survival a whole lot more than the normal difficulties. You're basically guaranteed to find a bunch of little things you missed on your first run due to not fast travelling everywhere. The world as a whole is less interesting than NV, but if there's one thing Bethesda does well, it's the little encounters you find scattered around. Settlements become a lot more useful since you can set up safe zones in dangerous territory to save and fill up on food and water. The survival meters are present enough to be an issue, but not debilitating enough to be annoying.

My biggest complaint is that the lack of regular saves makes crashes and glitch deaths particularly frustrating, but I'm still absolutely loving survival mode.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've got the run from Starlight Drive In to Diamond City and back down to a science now that I'm trying to build a massive factory. I'm getting steel, rubber, glass, and wood shipments and still coming away with a profit just by making jet and grabbing the pre war money from the lexington bank on my way to DC.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Just finished up my massive factory building. I still need to lay some more conveyors for the factory setup, but the essential pieces and the building itself are already laid down. When it's done you'll be able to put all your base components into a cabinet on the first floor which is right next to the control terminal and the factory will produce items at 3 different fabricators which will all eject into a series of hoppers to a storage container on the first floor.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally finished up my big settlement build. I call it Starlight City. It's got 2 settler buildings, a massive factory, a mansion for myself, a marketplace with a caravan stop, multiple security checkpoints made from scaffolding, and a greenhouse with Brahmin pen. So glad to be done(ish) with this project. The factory is probably staying unpowered until I can make fusion generators though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6B3BayuDTs

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The warehouse walls were made taller to accommodate factory equipment, yet are not tall enough to hold the actual fabricators.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat why is it so hard to line up conveyors under hoppers. I wound up going with a much less elegant solution for my rejected items hopper. It actually looks pretty cool in motion when items just start dropping in.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Apoplexy posted:

Wait a drat second here, is that the PS4 controller used on the PC version of FO4? I might actually use that if so!

It's just the ps4 version sadly.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Beating your head against the terrible workshop UI is the only thing still worth playing in this game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wish I could just lock things into place with the workshop so I wouldn't have to play "find out how many stories your decorations fell down before the game loaded the building" every single time I return to Starlight. It just works!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Pretty sure there's a bunch of mods on nexus that do that exact thing, although I've never bothered with any of them so I can't say how well they work.

Unfortunately Bethesda is going to be a little late getting the PS4 mods patch out. Probably well after I get bored with the game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've lost at the least 4 or 5 hours total on this character to crashes and glitch deaths. This game is just entirely too unstable to be considered a finished product.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yep, PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Apparently that cool rear end queen sized bed that was in the vault-tec leak album wasn't actually in the real dlc, but we did get another twin sized mattress! Bethesda was even gracious enough to let us have sheets on this one! I guess my hopes of ever having a decent looking bed are pretty much gone until Bethesda releases mods on PS4, if they ever do.

• Locked thread