Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm really confused as to why they're making a voiced protagonist. Feels like a decision made by the executives than something Bethesda came up with by themselves.

Also holy moly, Bethesda, make some new animations. That running animation was lifted straight from Skyrim and it still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If Bethesda is smart they'll just hire Matthew Mercer. It's cheaper and they'll get the same performance.

I was tripping out during Pillars of Eternity because both companions you get at the beginning of the game after the tutorial area are voiced by Matthew Mercer, who sounds exactly like Troy Baker.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I heard the lead animator for Bethesda Studios was a college friend of Todd Howard who got hired despite the fact that he failed his computer animation course at college twice.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Yaos posted:

You failed making good posts but that never stopped you.

:yikes:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm just gonna predict the beginning of the game. You start off just before the bombs land. You go through your army physical or something to set your stats, learn the controls by wandering around a bit, and interact with all your neighbors and wife or husband. Then the bombs start dropping, you run to the Vault with your family and then you enter a cryogenics pod and advance 200 or so years into the future. You wake up, but everyone else is missing, so your main goal is searching for where your family and neighbors went.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Fallout 3 didn't have good gameplay or story though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this would totally be out of place. Fallout certainly never did this before. There were certainly not established lore-based situations where, for example, women were part of the army pre-war. Not at all. God drat Bethesda ruining the lore by following the idea that it was an alternate version of history that expanded out of the 1950s, not Literally The 1950s.

I honestly think it'd be an interesting start if the female PC starts off as a simple housewife instead of a soldier. Gives you both sides of the pre-war conflict; soldier gets to see the pre-war jingoism and single-minded hatred of the Chinese that goes on around the military, housewife gets to deal with the repressive and stagnant values of pre-war US culture. But, Bethesda wouldn't be skilled enough to pull it off in a way that doesn't make people cringe so yeah they'll probably just make both genders soldiers and call it a day.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Honestly, the player character being voiced and having a tragic back-story seems really limiting to me. I liked that the New Vegas guy was just some dude or lady from the wastes who delivered mail and got shot in the head. That was it. I didn't like that the DLC introduced this weird narrative revolving around how you accidentally ruined a budding wasteland community and some guy was trying to kill you because of it. It really takes the imagination out of the game. Just let me play pretend as my custom wasteland dude that I spent an hour making.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, you just described Witcher (which is in fact a licensed game series based on books, even if that gets overlooked a lot!) You can absolutely pull it off with good writing.

"With good writing" being key there.

Yeah. I mean, if Fallout 3 Dad, the wasteland messiah that he was, reacted appropriately to learning his child had become a monster in the wastes, it would've been interesting and maybe have created another path of the story you could travel along. Maybe the Brotherhood wouldn't want anything to do with you because you lost your dad's respect, so you gotta join the Enclave or some poo poo.

But nope, you just get mildly lectured for being a murderous slaver who nuked a town and then daddy dies.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I want to get excited, I was pretty excited, up until I slowly started to realize that adding voice-acting to the main character is not only going to put some severe restraints on modding, it will absolutely kill the level of roleplaying possible in a narrative.

At least for a game of this type, that seems to be a real killer.

Also what the gently caress happened to the dog. Did they forget to turn on the effects? He looks flatter than the COD dog.

You could always get modders to fill in for the voice actors. I'm sure they'll do a good job :suicide:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Please let there be no level scaling.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, more people own Fallout: New Vegas than Fallout 3 judging from sales and Steam data, so I think they should at least try and take some cues from it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

If the game lets me set my intelligence to 1 and spend the rest of the game listening to Troy Baker making retard noises for 80 hours I will buy this game and every last bit of stupid DLC for it

I am sad they will never do this.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
[Intelligence] So you're saying Bethesda doesn't have good writers?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bholder posted:

but but but Morrowind

All their good writers left after Morrowind.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I suppose the main protagonist could be the baby you see at the beginning, but I think that's pretty unlikely. They've already done that once. Probably just gonna be what I said earlier.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, the New Vegas way of handling speech checks was much better.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wish Bethesda would do what Obsidian did and take fan opinions into account. They stopped talking to their fans after Oblivion rose up a shitstorm on their forums.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

Most fans have terrible, uninformed opinions but when they're universally crying out for something it might me wise to listen. Were people complaining about diagonal running animations right after oblivion came out?

Well that's the thing. They don't talk to them period, no matter what. I'm pretty sure people told them that the lack of diagonal running animations, level scaling, and all that jazz were bad ideas, but Bethesda got upset about it and now I think the only time they talk to people is in some sanitized thread on the general forum where you can't ask them about anything related to their own game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think there's probably gonna be a mini-shitstorm when Bethesda confirms the protagonist is voice acted. Nothing that can be done, of course, since Bethesda has probably paid Troy Baker and put him and whoever his female counterpart will be (20 bucks on Laura Bailey) to work, but it's gonna upset a lot of people.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why did he even go to DC in the first place?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

:salt:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"Well, the game looks worse than games which were released on last gen systems, but I don't care what any of you think. I'm raking in big bucks, you dumb fucks."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

i feel like this is just being silly

The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V look better than this. It's also really cringey that the producer can't come up with anything besides a whiny "We don't care what you think" excuse when confronted with this.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
At the very least, I'd like it if Pete Hines did the professional thing and said that they'd try and work on improving it during the time they have left until release. I think what he said was really childish, and that's what really annoys me about this. At the end of the day, it is an improvement over Skyrim in graphical quality and the art design is very good, but I feel like they shouldn't be satisfied with being behind the curve now that other companies are throwing their gauntlets into the open-world ring.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

cargohills posted:

It was a sidequest in Rivet City (the boat town) but it was pretty hard to complete and not particularly memorable.

I remember the robot guy dropping to his knees and going "AAARGH" once he found out he was an android, and it was probably some of the worst animation in the game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

they need to attach the word radiant to more things for Fallout 4.

Radiant Weapons
Radiant Dungeons
Radiant Dogs
Radiant Mountains
Radiant Pigs
Radiant Radios
Radiant Radiation

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Flaky posted:

NV wants you so desperately to care about the stupid story. Just gently caress off with that and let me snipe raiders and wear their bondage gear jfc.

Well, the gameplay in New Vegas is better than 3 (marginally), so go ahead.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'll really miss the humor of Fallout: New Vegas the most. Obsidian writers can write some funny poo poo. I can't remember anything from Fallout 3 that was comedic in a good way.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Not sure why Bethesda doesn't just offer to let Obsidian collaborate with them. Obsidian is perfectly willing to do so with inXile and seem eager to work on Fallout again. Why not give them the chance?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Vault 111's experiment is learning what happens when you teach hundreds of Americans the Instant Transmission technique.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I keep hearing people ask for the Elder Scrolls leveling system in Fallout and it's pretty dumb. XP gives you incentives to go questing, while that stat grinding poo poo in the Elder Scrolls makes leveling up feel like a chore. Some people say the Elder Scrolls way is "more immersive" or some such poo poo, but I really don't care.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
VATS sucks because you can't shoot people in the dick or eyes.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe if the VATS perks gave you special moves or some poo poo rather than just a percentile increase to hit, they'd be good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I'm sorry, if you think any of the dialogue or writing in NV is good, you should probably go read a real book for once in your life. Morality sliders are not good writing

Wasn't New Vegas more faction based than morality? Are you thinking of the same game I am?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I'm saying Fallout 3 and New Vegas are badly written games. I don't give a gently caress about canon or the authors' ownership of the property and my critique is not that they're using a property that they don't have a right to or whatever, it's that the characters and dialogue and story is bad and that it is prominent enough in those games to worsen the experience for me. The Fallout world doesn't feel fleshed out enough to me to be able to just plunk the player down in it and say "have fun" with a boilerplate main quest like Skyrim, so they have to shoehorn in terrible narrative poo poo with the factions and make that the focus of the game

I'm still not certain about where your opinion is coming from. It's logical that factions such as the Brotherhood of Steel, the NCR, and so on could move one state over. Not sure what the "fanfiction" accusation means at all. Do you just want a brand new story period? Also, I'm not sure what your fascination with Skyrim's main quest is. It's pretty dull and nothing interesting happens because I don't care about anyone in it because it's so detached from the player. Why would I want to continue a roleplaying game if I can't find any meaningful conflict or interesting characters to meet up with? gently caress, I wouldn't play D&D with a DM who just led me from generic dungeon to dungeon.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

My point is Skyrim's story was mostly ignorable, New Vegas' story was not. And I don't know what to say if you think the faction conflict poo poo in New Vegas was meaningful or interesting, the factions were literally reskins of each other with parallel quest structures and poo poo. If that's the best narrative the genre has to offer then I'll take shuffling between generic dungeons any day of the week

They all seemed pretty different to me. While there are shared goals between most or all of them (Deal with the bunker under Caesar's fort, get rid of House, secure the dam), each faction sends you to deal with different groups and demands you deal with certain ones in a specific way. I suppose you just wanted a more freeform game and that's cool. But I feel like you're really giving the game an unfair shake because it isn't your thing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I would've like the Legion much better if they weren't all wearing football equipment. If it was just the grunts who were stuck with the sports surplus, that would be fine, but everyone from the bottom to the top is decked out for the big Homecoming game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Didn't the Legate have actual Romanesque armour?

Yeah, and the Centurions. Everyone else is stuck with shoulder-pads and cups.

icantfindaname posted:

I don't consume a ton of fantasy media so I'm not saturated with that stuff, but yeah. Steampunk and 50s Americana / Victorian England fetishization is like the only thing even worse and more boring than generic fantasy

Fallout is an entire series mocking the very idea of Americana and 50's culture. I feel you've missed the point of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

It may as well be, and no it isn't because the writers aren't good or clever enough to do that. Same goes for Bioshock

I still don't get you, man. They've shown off the pre-war 50's inspired culture to be full of paranoid witch-hunters and war-mongers. How'd they fail about making that point, asides from maybe too heavy-handed about some of it?

Also where are you getting the steampunk poo poo from?

• Locked thread