Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

:firstpost: I'm going to play this game

e: I played this game

sout fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fallout 3: Vault 101
Fallout 4: Vault 111
Fallout 5: Name Vault Later

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SERPUS posted:

Why would you preorder this?

The same reason I preorder anything: I am a massive hypocrite.

Still haven't actually bought a game for £50 yet, gotta be vigilant for better deals I suppose. If you are going to preorder there's no reason to not do it at the last possible minute, if you're on Steam at least.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

The war has changed.

...Has it?

No, of course not. Is war.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

There's always a vault. There's always a man. There's always a guy who says "war never changes."

edit: should have said dog instead.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Okay Troy, gunna need you to just speak a bunch of gibberish: surprised gibberish, angry gibberish, melancholy gibberish. We'll be back in a few hours.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Lol how can you defend this poo poo

I have had a lot of fun playing Fallout before and expect to have fun playing Fallout again

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I had a lot of fun playing Fallout, too. New Vegas at least. Its just incredible to me that they are still using the Gamebryo engine and all the animations, models, and assets that they've had in the engine since oblivion.

Sure. It's not necessarily A Good Thing. I've sort of heard it enough times today though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NightVis posted:

the casting documents leaked (which seem to be accurate) called for both male/female VAs for the main character too

If not: somebody will ~elegantly~ pitch shift Troy Baker

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NightVis posted:

bustin up an enclave base suddenly wonder where goofy and max are

Boston World announced for Kingdom Hearts

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I really hope it's bullshit, because No Girls Allowed would be pretty dumb.
Also, there's very little evidence that we even get to customise the character: which I guess wouldn't in reality be that big of a deal but would still be lovely.

These weeks of speculation are going to be unbearable.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

mackintosh posted:

Character customization is literally the cornerstone of the genre. Let's not go into full meltdown mode, please.

:unsmith: this is true. Gah, this stuff is all weird, can't wait to actually see some official information.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ChogsEnhour posted:

Was President Eden always a Liverpool fan or is that a mod?

edit: Has anyone done a Scouse mod where everyone nicks everything that isn't nailed down and everyone has a perm and a muzzy?

You'll never walk alone, huh?
Get hosed, Lone Wanderer.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ChogsEnhour posted:

"Because RPG's don't make money, see? The kids these days want action! Explosions! A bald, white good guy who saves the day, nyaaagh. We tried that 'roley-play' poo poo with that vegas game. Only got an 84 on the critic site. We learnt from our mistakes, see? It's a story about Liam Neeson trying to save his kid, people love that, right? Now s'cuse me, gotta put the squeeze on some goombahs." *lights a cigar with a 50 dollar note*

Fallout: New Taken

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Torgo2727 posted:

I have some friends that were excited about the trailer, and, in order to hype themselves for Fallout 4, are playing New Vegas. :allears:

Good idea, that's a good game. Better than Fallout 3 imo.
I'm cautiously optimistic for 4, could be worse than NV and still be pretty fun.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I just started playing it for the first time and think I prefer 3 more as is, so far. Mostly because I think goodsprings and the surrounding desert isnt as interesting as fallout 3s intro but also because I think its weird that before even leaving the doctors shack you already have four sets of full condition armor and like ten weapons.

I think that's with the DLC? Truth be told I don't think I ever had that, and if I did I disabled it, seemed like a dumb idea to me to mess up the balance of the game from the start.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

As soon as the latest waves of rumors (that Linkedin thing) started up I decided to go through the old ones having never played Fallout 1 and 2, beat the first one and will probably start 2 soonish, even though 4 is gunna be nothing like the Interplay ones.
Plus, finally get to see what's so un-Fallout about 3.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Skeezy posted:

I'm playing through Fallout 3 and it's super weird. I'm enjoying it but I never finished the game and I don't remember any of it since I haven't touched it since it came out.

I'm not big on the percentages thing that they do, I much prefer passing a speech check or whatever if you have the proper points or whatever.

Yeah, it definitely leads to a lot of save scumming if you can be arsed to waste a few minutes to pass a 10% speech check that gets you 50 caps or whatever.
By the way, was it possible in Fallout 1 and 2 to break locks? Because I made a serious effort never to force locks in 3/NV because of it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just compared the fallout 3 and Skyrim dev teams:

The Director, Production Director, Animator, and Audio Director are the same people, Todd Howard, Ashely Cheng, Josh Jones, and Mark Lambert respectively.

However, not everything is the same: technical Director of 3, Guy Carver, becomes the Lead Programmer of Skyrim. The lead Writer and Artist change completely, from Emil Pagliarulo and Istvan Pely to Bruce Nesmith and Matthew Carofano.

So, does anyone know who is actually making Fallout 4? I understand these AAA games are made in modules and then fitted together later, so the writing in these games is always all over the place - different quests by different guys, certain guilds/groups of quests have better writing, etc.

Could be worse.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

No Bethesda, we're not going to call your game "the bomb" just because it dropped on October 23rd.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Did F1/2 have multiple endings?
Well besides you get turned into a super mutant and the vault gets hosed in 1.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly. And you should be among the things that also die easier. Barring power armor, if I shoot something in the skull with a .50 cal, it should die, end of discussion.

Now I know literally nothing about game design, but I think inherently realistic gun damage would completely break any sort of RPG-style skill-based progression.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

mackintosh posted:

Broken Steel finally lets you show the BoS the error of their Capital Wasteland ways.

Isn't the water still irradiated in Broken Steel? That was probably the first thing I checked.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I've always found the thing about FO3 vs. NV to be interesting. I honestly found them to be pretty much the same level of quality and fun (though I have sunk far more hours into New Vegas because of all the endings). But virtually everyone else I know has strong feelings towards one or the other.

I feel like I'm some kind of weirdo for enjoying both games. :shrug:

Yeah, imo they're such similar games it seems crazy to me that you could love one and hate the other. I mean, yes, New Vegas does some things better and I prefer it, 3 does some neat things too, but in terms of gameplay they're virtually identical.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

greatBigJerk posted:

Actually a mix of A Boy and His Dog and Mad Max, so both American and Australian as gently caress.

I Have No AP And I Must Shoot Groins

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

With all the hubub about the textures in the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the console versions being shown but the PC version will have a free HD texture pack DLC at launch or near launch, like Skyrim did. I mean it won't fix the lovely Bethesda animations but maybe it'd make the dog look like it has actual fur instead of it looking like someone painted over a furless dog to give it the illusion of having fur.

Don't get me wrong I think the game looks nice, but textures aren't really the biggest issue: I feel like that's something that can be easily (of course a lot of effort is involved) modded in. It's the other graphical features that aren't present that would be more difficult to implement, like AO and better bump maps etc.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone wanna make guesses on framerate/resolution?
I'll play on PC, but have there been any games coming out for current gen that are 1080/60? I feel like at this point it's not a big deal for anyone that most things are either 900p and 30.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Leinadi posted:

For all my dislike of Fallout 3, Rivet City was one of those locations that just looks loving cool (that concept art was really nice) and is a pretty neat idea overall. Alas, the content within isn't anything to write home about.

I also think Rivet City was pretty neat, it seems like a swift and resourceful way to establish a settlement because it's remote (therefore safe) yet accessible. It is a bit of a clusterfuck to navigate though, and often falls victim to that shandification question - what do they eat?
Presumably, bits of meat I guess but the point stands. Hopefully 4 will contain more convincing worldbuilding.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ymgve posted:

The quality of individual animations isn't limited by the engine, but the quality of blended animations definitely is. It's also a world of difference between pre-canned animations like Bethesda's engine uses and the dynamic skeletal systems used in for example GTAV.

You remember how in that one Assassin's Creed game Ubisoft explained that they simply could not include a female PC because of the difficulties and cost of animation for a different skeleton?
Shoulda just pulled a Bethesda.

But yeah, Fallout's animations are kinda sucky, I wish they were better but they're serviceable, at least you rarely have to see your own character move, if you aren't one of those crazies that play in third person the whole time.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Blistex posted:

So who is going to be the big name Celebrity voice in this one that eats up their entire voice acting budget so we get to hear the same 4 interns voice ever other single character?

MATT DAMON

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

VATS: Centerpiece mechanic or minor feature?

Goons report, you decide.

It's alright

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Witcher 3 has retroactively made all Bethesda games bad.

They used to be good, but in a post Witcher 3 world they are bad.

Fiiiine, I guess I'll get round to playing W3 eventually maybe. I tried playing W2 but for some reason got nowhere with it.
Is it well optimized at least? I know my PC could run it but there's a certain threshold where things become slightly too loud/medium graphics settingsy for me to bother with.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah I like Skyrim a fair amount, but I totally prefer the Fallout FPSs for some reason. I know people dislike the way Bethesda treats the Fallout setting but even their version is still more exciting to me than Not Middle-earth :shrug:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just played a bit of NV and it's cool.
Welp, that ends this discussion nicely.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shugojin posted:

I mean they could have just not brought it up at all if you sent a companion in with Broken Steel. It's like, one check, and then you DON'T have a line. You don't need to pay a man to NOT speak!

Actually silence is expensive. I know what you did.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

What's the thing about Little Lamplight people really hate? Something about it being dumb or something?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

is it not enough? i mean its really loving dumb

Hmm, thought that was it. Thanks!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sentinel posted:

Pretty much this.
I'm still just ecstatic getting a fourth.

They've definitely had time to learn a lot since 3 and make things a little more improved.
Bethesda is one of the few game companies i have legitimate faith in.
Sperglords can pre-poo poo on it all they want but this games going to be a blast.

edit: Does anyone else buy mexican cokes with real sugar and drink them when playing fallout every time you get a nuka cola in game? or is this just me?

Is Mexicoke the same thing as UK Coke because yes I drink too much of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do you actually drink a coke every time you have one in-game because that sounds like a really bad idea.

• Locked thread