Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

I would assume based off Bethesda's long-running history of games that look kind of rear end and yet people still play for roughly seven thousand hours.

Also, while Gamebryo is crappy, can somebody name another game similar to Skyrim or FNV in scope that allows that much modding.

The graphics look serviceable so hopefully the game runs at decent frame rate on consoles while in PCs there will be 4k texture mods, graphic mods to take care of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Agreed. I can't believe they're going back to in house development instead of letting Obsidian develop 4.

Gameplay was fine after judicial amount of modding and personally I preferred the setting to FNV. That said, yeah story was weak.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Why should we accept a lovely base product that needs mods to either fix or make every aspect of it acceptable?

Don't buy games from Bethesda then. I mean this is not the first game that will be like that but rather 6th (or 5th if you count FNV as Obsidian's). They all needed mods. Also, the graphics don't look lovely to me, perfectly serviceable and hopefully this means good frame rate in consoles.

Knifegrab posted:

Guys, this game is totally great once you mod it to hell and ensure that you are as far away from the released vanilla game as possible!

Yeap, that's Bethesda for you.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

It boggles my mind that theres anybody who thinks New Vegas was anything but a massive improvement improvement over fallout 3

The setting wasn't as I thought DC was more interesting (setting, not story).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I can see that. But the quest design, mechanics, and everything else were undeniably better in NV.

Oh, no question, NV, was better in that regard. However, I like to explore in Bethesda games and for that DC was more fun (for me). NV is still a better game. Noe, if we are talking consoles then NV would be the only choice as default vanilla F3 wasn't that good. Then again, IMO, Bethesda games work best on PC due to mods.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I don't understand the pissing and moaning about graphics, every Bethesda game looks like a janky turd and I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Game is still gonna own bones.

But, but Witcher 3 had glorious Geralt hair. What will er do without that? To be fair, I am fairly certain that W3 has better writing then F4 with have, but that's a different topic :).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Inzombiac posted:

Man, no matter what I'm buying this poo poo on day one.
Real brave stance, I know.
Let's hope a spinoff is an isometric game because I love them so very much.

Well, considering the other games by Bethesda in the last 10 years... that's a pretty safe bet if you want to support the dev. It will be pretty buggy at release but give it a few months and the game will be fine and will have great amount of mods. Since it "looks" like they are keeping the engine at least at the same platform level, you can bet the modders will descend en masse on this one (well, unless they try to pull another "charge for mods" fiasco as with Skyrim", hmm...). So for PC, especially if ordered with a discount, it's a fairly safe bet.

For spinoff, they are most likely going to use same engine as Fallout 4 so doubt it's going to be isometric. Think FNV here.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Crabtree posted:

"But it'd take effort to make a real city and not just several blocks of boarded up nothing". Honestly, if the loving Mad Max game has cities that look more alive or can grow towards the actions of the player than in Fallout 4, Bethesda can just stop trying and let other people design the game for them full time. I really hope that whatever city scape that was shown in the trailer actually has a majority of people living in it or has the potential to be cleaned out and b re-inhabited. You can keep most of the map wild, but let's have some settlements look like they've had the more than 200 years to grow.

Well, FNV Reno was kind of like that. It was pretty large (well, for Bethesda) if you include outskirts. I really wish we'll get an RPG that will do a large city Yakuza style with a lot of just shops, people walking around, etc... GTA does that too of course and so does Sleeping Dogs.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So, anyone wondering if paid mods are coming with Fallout 4 day one? It was a complete mess with Skyrim due to years of established community efforts but with a new game you get a new community, engine, etc... so it's very likely Bethesda is going to go for that. Question is if they will address that at E3. I am thinking not and they will talk about the whole thing much closer to release but you never know.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I hope however it gets implemented (if at all), it's done in a way that doesn't mean I'm expected to pay for every single mod I'd want to use, because then I'm talking about a $60 game and another, like, $120 in mods at $2-3 a piece.

Yeah, it's certainly going to be interesting to see how Bethesda handles this. A more robust system to support modding (Skyrim was certainly better then Fallout or NV already) with perhaps vetted mod programs and maybe mod bundles would be kind of cool. Also an incentive for larger and more comprehensive mods vs quick and dirt cheap mods would be good.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

OwlFancier posted:

VATS is awesome and the only way to improve it is to add the button that lets you spend your VATS meter as bullet time.

poo poo, that's actually a really good idea for an option. Is there a mod that can do something like this for F3 or NV I wonder. Time to Google.

For mods, it's most likely a done deal that Bethesda will allow paid mods, but hopefully it's going to be done in a more intelligent fashion vs Skyrim attempt.

If they do it right and then allow curated stuff to make it over to the consoles, that would be a very smart thing for Bethesda... However I am not sure how likely such a thing would be.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Raygereio posted:

No, it's not. VATS is entirely optional to use.
I felt VATS' implementation really didn't elevate beyond it being a gimmick. A sort of nod to the combat from the original games.

Yes. There are several mods that do this. Big ones are FWE for FO3 and Project Nevada for F:NV. Both also have a sprint that uses AP.

I am going to have to redo my mod order now... The one thing I really hope is improved conflict detection, less jaunky modding for F4.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

MinibarMatchman posted:

are there really people who exist that want VATS out of Fallout?? Because lol the game would be loving unplayable without it. This isn't an FPS, every gun is a piece of poo poo cobbled together from garbage and the sights/aiming is godawful. Maybe it's just because FO3 and NV were programmed terribly but trying to play them as FPS games meant you got hosed. Especially because so many loving enemies were retarded kamikazes.

VATS is especially important within buildings, IMO, as you don't have as much space to kite. Now, in the outside areas, a good sniper rifle plus stealth means that you rarely have to use VATS as everything dies before even coming close.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Well, that was a drat good Fallout 4 presentation. Settlement building, customization, equipment modding, etc... it all looks great. This game is going to be huge in scope (probably will need couple months of patching). Man, the thing looks good so far. The story is probably going to be so-so, but everything else is going to be great.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Man, jetpacking around in full armor with a mini gun while putting in the Ride of the Valkyries is going to be awesome. Alternatively, "Good Morning Vietnam" (or Apocalypse now of course).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Volkerball posted:

no i agree. that's why i wasn't a fan of the lonesome road dlc. but eh. it'll just effect some cutscenes.

It will effect 0.5% of the game considering all the poo poo they are building in. This plus mods means an ultimate sandbox.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Turds in magma posted:

can i stick my e-wiener in an e-babe with over 700 custom modifications? I must know now

There is Nexus for that. Give it a few weeks after release and I am sure you will have plethora of options...

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Blistex posted:

"700+ weapons mods!" - Bethesda
#698 <single shot .22 rifle with Shutterfly sticker on stock>
#699 <single shot .22 with VaultTec sticker on stock>
#700 <10mm SMG silencer>

Please don't be this!

Ehh, no, there will be 700+ things to apply to base weapons I think.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Count Canuckula posted:

Oh sweet gently caress no I just remembered Nexus was a thing.

OH SWEET gently caress NO NEXUS MODS WITH THE NEW CRAFTING/BUILDING ENGINE

Oh god, somebody is going to have a brothel mod a week post release, aren't they. No.1 download at nexus, calling it now.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Man, everybody is going nuts over skills even though Bethesda didn't reveal a leveling system. I think that we should wait just a tad before breaking out the pitchforks.

Overall the built-in crafting should help to eliminate bunch of mods that you have to run now, same with VATS improvements, housing and all the other poo poo.

I wonder if ammo crafting aand different ammo is still in, I really hope so. Armor handling looks better as well. As long as mod support is good, leveling can be fixed.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Count Canuckula posted:

See I'm okay with this. It sucked having to scour the wasteland looking for ammo for plasma weapons and only finding laser weapon ammo for the first half of the game- Then it becomes the opposite for the other half.

Alternate ammos were cool though as you could create different ammo packages to meet some reqs like less wear and tear or higher damage or all kinds of crazy stuff for grenade launchers.

Hopefully this could be modded back in.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 15, 2015

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

khy posted:

Man gently caress those rews they were awful. I hate all rews line all the time.

Android autocorrect FTL.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Are mod tools not being released till q1 2016? Looks like xbone mods are early 2016 and PS4 after that. It would auck of we have to wait for months to get mod tools on PC, makes me a bit unsure about the pre-order.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rinkles posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo.

Why exactly? I pretty much play Bethesda games as a sandbox and it only really shines with mods. There is little point of pre-ordering unless mod support is there. I will still get the game but will now likely wait couple of months for the creation tools and some patches.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Why are people worrying about graphics in Fallout 4? Have you guys seen what mods do to Skyrim graphical fidelity? There will be texture mods, there will be graphical mods to the wazoo and you will be able to up it to 11 so you new fancy GTX 980TI fan goes to 100%. Well, animation is still going to suck, but that's not a huge deal. Well.. unless you are on a console, then you will still get a nice looking game but not Witcher 3 quality. Witcher 3 does not have teddy bear launchers though.

Speaking of mods, Fallout 4 devs said no paid mods.

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-devs-have-no-plans-for-paid-mods-1712305902

That's pretty huge.

Edit: On gore, watch that "gently caress things up" trailer again, it has plenty (including the above mentioned teddy bear taking a guy's head off).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Gyrotica posted:

Some animations have also been addressed by mods. The only problem with mods is waiting for them to be developed and for folks like STEP to curate.

True, but at the least Fallout 4 looks to be quite a bit better then Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim. Would it be really a huge dealbreaker to play vanilla while texture mods pop up? Also, I am sure a lot more graphical tweaking is going to be present.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Reason posted:

You could tell from the first released trailer it was going to be ugly, I don't know whats wrong with people. The first thing people were saying after seeing that poo poo was that it was ugly and poorly animated. Bethesda is showing they need to pass the torch for open world RPGs. Maybe just spend some of their moneys to buy REDengine 3 or something.

Ok, name one Open World RPG that has the freedom to do poo poo that Bethesda does and is as completely modifiable as Bethesda's games. I'll give you a freebie, Witcher. However, Witcher has not even close to freedom to do poo poo as in Skyrim. Interactivity of Fallout/Skyrim/Oblivion/whatever is much higher. Fallout 4 kicks it up a notch with settlement building and crafting. Something has to give. It's either pretty or it's wide open/do anything/craft anything/mod anything game like Bethesda puts out.

Now, that still does not excuse the lovely animations though.

Edit: Can you fly around in pimped out Power Armor with custom decals in Witcher while playing some 50s Nuke song and indiscriminately pouring out mini-gun fire? Didn't think so :). Not that Witcher 3 doesn't rock, it's an excellent game, but focus is different.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Reason posted:

For me the big huge thing is animations and whether or not the things in the world look like they are actually in the game world rather than floating along the surface(which ties into animations I think), not sure I've seen enough of the game to determine that, but Bethesda has a pretty lovely track record when it comes to animation work in general. Its like they have the same animator from their first ever game and he refuses to learn new stuff at anything but a glacial pace.

It's a Bethesda game, the answer should be obvious, i.e. better then Skyrim but still pretty terrible. However, vast majority of people don't buy Bethesda games for character model/animation quality.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nevets posted:

Don't feel bad, I would've gladly paid $80 for the game and something cool like a dogmeat stuffed toy or a Mr. Handy action figure (with articulation). But an extra $60 for a plastic cellphone case?

Also GMG is actually a legit site, Witcher 3 shenanigans aside.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Daggerfall had an amazing spell system but everything else was very broken. Morrowind had the best story, excellent factions (mage ones were great), cool setting and was possible the most interesting game Bethesda ever made.

Skyrim was fairly polished (talking about PC only) but even with mods wasn't as good as modded Morrowind. Lack of quest markings, lack of fast travel to an extent (there were other transportation options to be fair and there were mods to allow multiple Mark spell locations) and need to figure out things were what made Morrowind great.

Yeah combat was crappy (better with mods) but everything else was much better. That said I played and enjoyed all the mainline Bethesda games and looking very much toward Fallout 4. I would not be saying same of I was a console gamer though as vanilla Bethsoft games are not great. So maybe mods for Xbone and PS4 will let console gamers experience even better Fallout/Elder Scrolls.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Odobenidae posted:

Well, you might be out of luck. IIRC they said similar mechanics from the Halo series like energy shields would be retrofitted into fallout 4. It would be safe to assume that it's going be used on power armour and play a big part in the crafting system attached to power armour.

When did anyone say Fallout 4 is going to have Shields or Halo mechanics or only holding a few guns? I can't tell the joke posts in this thread anymore.

The one thing that I hope still stays from FO3/NV combat is sniper rifle options. You could one or two shot a lot of even stronger enemies with a good sniper rifle, stealth and high gun skill.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Die Laughing posted:

People will complain saying New Vegas is linear, and then hate on FO3's level scaling as if there's really a happy medium. You either guide the player towards a beginners path, and have other paths of varying difficulty, or allow the player able to go anywhere, and have a scaled challenge.

Otherwise it would just be rings of difficulty radiating out from the starting point lest a more casual player stumble into a high level zone with no warning.

What's wrong with stumbling into higher level zone? Now, there should be some warning but if you get killed you will know not to go there. This worked out great in the first two Gothic games and to lesser extent first Risen.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Funky Valentine posted:

Mass Effect 1 is a bad game that is only redeemed because Wrex is there.

Wrex should be in all games.

ME1 is the only RPG of the bunch. Even Mako is ok excepting for some badly procedural designed levels. At least it had RPG elements to it. ME2 and 3 are action game with thinly veiled RPG lite elements and mostly corridor based level design. Not that they are necessarily bad games, but I prefer ME1 RPG systems to the other ones.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Calculator games are cheaper on average though. That said, an OK to decent gaming PC, a monitor and a copy of windows (unless upgrading Win7 or later desktop) will run you around $1000 in US (YMMV pricing in other countries). Plus it is somewhat more hassle to deal with.

Payoff is pretty awesome too especially for Fallout and modding.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

JackBadass posted:

[citation needed]

There is common sense though. They will have to have mods curated first. That's perhaps is not bad considering some poo poo on Nexus. The thing though a lot of more complex mods use various extenders to the game which I cant see working on consoles.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

JackBadass posted:

Oh boy... 4K...

Eh, I have a 21x9 monitor at 3440 X 1440 and I love it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

sout posted:

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/prepare-for-the-future-fallout-4-important-release-info/2015/10/08/35
SPECS, BRUH.
Minimum
Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended
Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Console Storage Space
Make sure you have enough space in the vault to store Fallout 4.
Fallout 4 requires 28-35 GB depending on territory and languages supported.

e: My 7870 will suffice it seems, I would've been very shocked otherwise

That's quite CPU heavy on recommended. I may have to upgrade my i5 after all.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

7c Nickel posted:

This sounds like total bullshit to me. There is no way the ambient radiation is enough to kill insects outside of the sarcophagus.

They just don't want to admit there are giant fire breathing ants around Prypiat.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Boogaleeboo posted:

Levers being better than cranks is more reason for it to be crank, not less. It's a janky laser musket, it's not supposed to look competently designed.

The bigger question is if you can attach a bayonet to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So let's talk VPN activation folks. New Zeland Fallout 4 unlock in Steam is like 8AM EST on the 9th! So hypothetically if I have a VPN service with a server in New Zeland, would i be able to activate VPN, start Steam, unlock Fallout 4 (already bought), and then close Steam, stop VPN and just play after Steam restart?

• Locked thread