Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

SunAndSpring posted:

Bethesda really needs to stop relying on essential NPCs as a crutch. If someone in a quest can die, write a new path around it rather than just making him invincible. I mean, what if I want to shoot him because he's a bad guy in my opinion? I remember being really frustrated in Skyrim by how that one racist guy in Windhelm was inexplicably unkillable, and it made me wonder why they can't accept that the player will sometimes gently caress up and kill a guy with a quest.

If you kill what's his face in Windhelm, how is the game supposed to change the story? The other side wins the civil war? It keeps going? Dragons come out of nowhere and bring him back to life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Nuebot posted:

If you killed plot important people in morrowind the game just kind of shrugged and let you gently caress yourself as deep into the ground as you could. If you wanted an unwinnable plot that was your doing.
This is a complete lie. The biggest complaint at the time was wandering around the world and suddenly seeing "the thread of fate has been severed" because a main quest NPC somewhere died and there was nothing you could do about it. The game didn't even bother explaining what it was supposed to mean, I remember people asking about it thinking it was part of a quest.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I don't even know what "Radiant AI" means.
It's the marketing term for their scheduling and AI system. Everything an NPC did that did not involve attacking the player had to be scripted by hand. If you wanted an NPC to run around town stealing all the calipers you would need to know where all the calipers are and path the NPC to those locations. Because scripts are resource intensive, you can't do it anyway. With Radiant AI this takes seconds to accomplish as the NPC AI does all the work. In Oblivion, M'aiq The Liar had 3 AI packages, one of which had him wander around the game world picking up calipers. In Skyrim they moved quests to a similar system, taking it out of the scripting system. The Witcher 3 uses a similar system as Morrowind, which is why NPCs all stand in one spot except for the dynamically created ones that follow a pre-created path to waddle down and spit at you.

Back Hack posted:

The best mod for Skyrim was a goon made mod that toke the boring Skyrim skill system and converted to be more like Fallout's skill/perks set-up. Hearing that Bethesda is literal doing the reverse for Fallout is just about the dumbest thing they could possibly do.
:ughh:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24445/ Please tell me you're joking, nobody could possibly confuse SPERG with Fallout's SPECIAL system. Or are you just trying to be cute and funny and completely failing.

Edit: Like Microsoft when they try to release a new product.

Double edit: SPECIAL let's you pick a perk every two levels, SPERG let's you pick any perk at any time as long as the skill level meets it and you have a skill point. SPECIAL has you put points into each skill, SPERG you level up skills by using them and have a random skill increase by completing a quest. SPERG gives you auto-perks at different skill levels, SPECIAL doesn't. SPERG has unlimited levels, SPECIAL doesn't. SPERG let's you gain extra skill points by defeating certain monster types, SPECIAL doesn't.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 17, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

What main quest NPCs in Morrowind would possibly be at threat of just randomly dropping dead? Out of all I remember, none of them were even close to dangerous enemies. Sounds like you're making poo poo up.

It's hard to find posts about it since all the popular forums from the time are dead now, but here's one from four years ago referring to it while talking about Skyrim. I know you're just going to claim I made the post myself, or I have it in my vast repository of fake posts people made to back me up, but I found it just now. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/59971363

quote:

i remember randomly walking from time to time and getting that message for no apparent reason rofl.

buggy game :D

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Nothing confirmed. Bethesda and/or Steam (can't remember whose representative said it) said that they had to pull the paid mods for Skyrim because it "wasn't the right crowd" and the Skyrim community was too established to implement it in, so some are taking this to mean that Fallout 4 will be when they start with paid mods from the get-go.

But again, nothing has been confirmed either way. It's also not like they wouldn't already be doing it with an "established community", since I bet the majority of Fallout 4 players will have already played 3 or New Vegas beforehand.

It has been confirmed, there will be no paid mods.

Fallout Shelter is making more money than Candy Crush Saga. http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/fallout-shelter-app-passes-candy-crush-saga-on-the-top-grossing-mobile-games/

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

The Fallout 4 crew was doing more panels and interviews during E3.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3a830j/i_met_todd_howard_again_today_talked_about_voice/

Confirmed customizable playlist for your base, hopefully your pip-boy. The app for your phone has a real time map other games have had, and can control everything just like the in-game pipboy. Your dialogue choices change your character personality, although it's not clear what this means; maybe replacement for karma? They teased Fallout Shelter in a Fallout 3 trailer. This was confirmed by Todd Howard so it's not some crazy fan theory unless he's just trolling.

Edit: Somebody else noticed your responses are color coded according to the Bone gamepad buttons. Green is nice, Red is mean, yellow is a question, blue is neutral.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 18, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Dad jokes OP.

Excuse me Anita, but I do not tolerate jokes when talking about video games, it's very problematic.

In other news, what if Fallout Shelter is the start of good games on mobile?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

They should make people in settlements like the recruitable characters from Skies of Arcadia, after you recruit them you can use them in a special attack where they say a catchphrase and anime lines fly past in the background. I did that with the turtle boss in a water volcano and killed it in one attack. :hehe:

Weapon mods are not the only thing that require certain ranks.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Jimbot posted:

The only real complaint about that whole thing I've been personally exposed to was my friend, who is a lesbian, was disappointed the female character's sexuality is defined by the game rather than left up to the player. But it wasn't utter outrage, it was just "eh, I don't like that but whatever." Seemed reasonable to me, unlike that picture.

Of course she doesn't give a poo poo about the man. I'm going to play as the guy and first chance I get I'll use the "setsex" command on myself to turn into a woman.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

drkeiscool posted:

Part 4 of Shamus's critique is up.

Holy poo poo this guy is even dumber than me. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Edit: Why the gently caress is the Enclave trying to take over D.C.? Let's find out.

quote:

The Enclave is a secretive political, scientific, and militaristic organization that is descended directly from members of the pre-War United States government, and claims to be the legally-sanctioned continuation of the government, while also styling themselves and their overall demeanor as such.

This poo poo is explained in the game and the dumb gently caress is too loving stupid to know it. Holy poo poo, merry Christmas.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 22, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Fun fact time! It's almost been as long between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 as it has been between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3.

So you know... Lol at the idea that it had been that far apart.

Fallout 2 came out in 1998, Fallout 3 in 2008, Fallout 4 2015. That's 7 years you baka. A baby born when Fallout 4 comes out will be 3 years old in 2018; that's the average age of NeoGaf posters. Speaking of babies, think how much it would suck to be born on the day Fallout 4 comes out. By the time you can even figure out video games the next Fallout will be coming out. The Bone zone and PS4 will still be considered next gen devices though. Think how much it would suck to be born in ISIS controlled Iraq. You don't get to play Fallout 4 and some rear end in a top hat plants a bomb in your cloth diaper.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 22, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I just noticed the Pip-Boy from the collector's edition has a coin battery in it.

Edit: It powers the Power LED.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Crabtree posted:

What are you talking about? There's always a token water starved vagrant that offers you nothing but karma for pouring down an infinite amount of bottled water down his lazy throat. Why do anything else like make water a very expensive item to trade or ironically do what Fallout did and have caps be backed literally by water?

Why can't they just suck the water out of the air? Even though the the world is still poo poo 200 years later everybody seems to have a limitless amount of electricity.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Very true, but Minecrafts success tells me that a game on the scale of Daggerfall is possible to do right, I wish Bethesda had the guts to try something ambitious like Daggerfall again. I think they could make it work this time.

Minecraft works because there's no content.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

It's lame as hell that my character will have to have married a human woman and bred with her. That's not what I'm about.

The correct term is "female" and "mate". You mate with a female and she accepts your seed to have your child.

Here's a picture of Morrowind without any fog.

Kind of crazy. I remember getting "lost" in the swamps and finding cool ruins. Turns out those ruins are about ten feet away from a city.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 23, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

GirlBones posted:

This is awesome! Anyone know where I can see pictures like this for other games?

Here's World Of Warcraft post Cataclysm with an almost infinite view distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTYvEBsghc

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 23, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

They are including a text to voice system that sounds exactly like the original voice actors. Bethesda is being bought out by Google as we speak.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Grampybone says I already reported on this yesterday; get your own news.

Did I forget to mention you have to pay Bethesda a penny per word?

Rumor has it that the audio in the game won't be stored with the game but will be streamed over the Internet. To get audio you need to buy a Bethesda Audio Unlimited account subscription for $19.99 a month.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The real news is that you will eventually be able to recruit your spouse as a companion. Like other party members (including those from all previous "canon" Fallout games), you can speak to your spouse outside of combat, but whereas you would ordinarily learn about the character's background or ideologies through these conversations, the spouse dialogue is (apparently) dedicated to reminiscing about mutual past experiences. Basically a lot of "remember when we...?" stories that are supposed to provide additional optional exposition for your character. It sounds like the remaining dialogue and combat "barks" are mostly passive-aggressive jabs, however, like, "I've seen that building before--are you sure you know where you're going?" (when spending too long in a particular area) and "Isn't it a little early to be drinking, honey?" (when drinking any sort of alcohol before 5 PM).

I guess the associated spousal perk will cause the spouse to periodically choose a dialogue response for you when speaking to other NPCs.

Spouse: How are you doing?

Player: [Good] [Bad] [Trade] [Let's gently caress]

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Emotionally muting the VA allows the player to project whatever emotion they want onto it.

No it doesn't.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

One day before Fallout 4 releases, Todd "Zaxby's has the best chicken in town" Howard will announce it will use Gameworks and the features can't be turned off.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Anybody complaining about the realism of the culture in the game but not complaining about the realism of everything else should be covered in jet fuel and burned alive in a prison made out of steel beams. - Todd "Waffen SS" Howard

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

They should remove all dialogue, graphics, and gameplay. Anything less ruins the RPG experience.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

And exactly what do you know about the games industry? Do you work in marketing or something?

Either way, it doesn't make it right.

You'll have to speak up, I'm drying myself off with 100 dollar bills.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Bioshock: Infinite's critical reviews are all above 90% and that game was terrible.
They put a lot of work into buying those score, don't take that away from them.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Todd "MOM GET OUT I'M CLEANING IT" Howard has announced there will be a forced sex change in the game and mandatory homosexual marriage.

How many nude mods do you think Todd Howard has installed? Do you guys think the dog has a vagina like the horses in Oblivion?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

I know, I am one, and I take it all back if my spouse can be same-sex or at the very least I can pursue a same-sex relationship after confirming that yes, my wife is dead.

This is good.

The worst part about the first Terminator movie was that Sarah Connor wasn't gay. They have a chance to fix it with the new movie, but it looks like she still isn't gay or at least bisexual.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

frajaq posted:

Here's another interview with the Todd-man himself

nothing earthshaking, map will be roughly the same size of Skyrim (maybe)

couldn't help but laugh at this part tho

Open Boston confirmed.

quote:

In the city, it's very dense, but there is no load - like in Fallout 3, there's a load - for areas of the city, we don't do that.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

frajaq posted:

Don't worry I'll make a mod that adds one for every city/settlement in the game

Will it crash the game if it detects certain other mods being run?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Hihohe posted:

I will say that Fallout 3 aged a little better and is more accessible, Before fallout 3 I hadnt even play any of the Fallouts, I think i remember fallout 1 and 2 combo packs in those little computer game boxes at the Walmart (god i miss those) and I never remembered the name and made the connection. When i played the game at first i was kinda floored by all you could do. I remember playing it with my friend and busting out laughing when Bloody mess fricken exploded things. The vats bullet time stuff was always cool. The story was enhh and forgettable but i usually ignored it. My freaking jaw dropped when i first used the Fat Man.

There were a lot of things they considered when making this game for a new audience that I think is pretty good game design.

3 is a different game for a different age and to compare them to 1 and 2 is like comparing Rock and Roll to Rap.

No you didn't, you hated it, everybody hates video games because their mom won't let them get Call Of Duty because it's mature.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

frajaq posted:

Which other company do people want the Fallout IP to go?

Koei Tecmo. All of their games are superb and technical masterpieces.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I meant to say technical pieces of poo poo.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Back Hack posted:

God I hate official game forums.

I hate good games just like you. We should be friends buddy.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Back Hack posted:

gently caress, you're right! Maybe we should just take out ammo too while we're at it, that was alway annoying. I mean really, who want to look for gun food anyway?

There has literally never been an ammo system in a game that the wouldn't have been better without.

Metro 2033?????

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Back Hack posted:

It's kind of weird that the game is only a couple months away now and yet the only gameplay we're seen from it is the stuff from the e3 demo over and over again.

That's how they've always done it. Skyrim and Oblivion had that one gameplay demo and that was it. I can't even remember what the demo for Fallout 3 and New Vega were.

People were talking about how it makes no sense that Fallout still looks like it's right after the bombs dropped but it's 200 years later, after I heard that Fallout is inspired by Mad Max it all makes sense. As far as we know, it's the same Max in all the movies. He was a cop before the nukes came down, yet just a few years later the entire planet is a desert and all of the buildings have completely vanished. People that should have been kids when he was a cop somehow don't remember anything before the nukes, and even people older than him somehow don't remember it either. I don't think Max remembers any of it either.

In Fallout it's the opposite, it's 200 years later and everybody acts like the bombs just dropped. There actually are people that were around before they dropped, and everything looks more like it was abandoned rather than had nuked dropped on them.

Edit:

icantfindaname posted:

also, is this game literally still on the fallout 3 engine? ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahah
No, it's the Creation engine. If you think the Creation engine is just Gamebryo with a different name then there's no hope for you. Do you think GoldSrc was just another name for the Quake engine? Do you think the IW engine was just another name for the Quake engine? Of course not, so why do you keep trying to claim the Creation engine is just another name for the Gamebryo engine? If we assume Skyrim started development in 2009, then they have about 7 years worth of changes that are not part of Gamebryo by now.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 16, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Mad Max's universe is intentionally vague though, they don't mention specifics, and up until Fury Road it wasn't explicitly stated that nukes had anything to do with it. The movies themselves can't all be joined up in any chronological line even because they are all over the place and they are better for it. They also don't mention anything about other nations or countries either, so we don't know what Europe or China or Africa or the Americas are doing in the Mad Max universe.

Fallout by contrast has taken up it's original look in the original games as a part of it's identity. I really don't think it's a conscious choice anyone is making, it's just has to look Fallout, which means sand, dead trees, Nuka-Cola and wowee-zowee ray guns. It's also Bethesda so it's easy to just assume they are incapable of taking the look of Fallout anywhere new.

Nope, they can be joined up in a chronological line. http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_events

quote:

George Miller revealed in an interview from 1984 that the events of the first two movies took place some odd 15 years from then. This would place the first two movies in the mid to late 90's. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome takes place 15-18 years after which puts it in 2014 - 2018.

It's incredibly tiring that people keep claiming that Bethesda is lazy and can't do anything different, even though every game is different.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Are you sure you're not describing Morrowind? Everything was locked behind numbers going up, even hitting an enemy was a dice roll. There was nothing interesting in Morrowind, just give yourself 100% chameleon within the first five minutes and win the game. Skyrim requires skill, Morrowind requires the RNG to be nice to you.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Leinadi posted:

I counted three variations on "Aim your gun at <insert enemy type here> and pacify them".

Yeah... exciting.

These were in previous Fallout games.

SunAndSpring posted:

Fallout: New Vegas fixed all these problems, and yet Bethesda decided that what was really needed was to just completely overhaul the entire system because of their insistence on being different from everybody else.

Also that perk menu looks loving atrocious. It looks like a pain in the rear end to navigate and they did this solely because they wanted to show off their lovely 2-3 frame Vault Boy animations. gently caress, most of the new Vault Boy illustrations look amateurish, which is sad considering that he's a simple cartoon and that the rest of the art direction seems to be spot-on.
Source your quote from NMA please. Who the gently caress finds squares to be complicated?

Yaos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 24, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I'm going to enjoy playing Fallout 4 and post the Steam "Top Games By Player Count" list on NMA.

Edit: People were talking about gay characters, there's at least one gay interracial couple hiding in the Fallout 4 reveal trailer. Well, I'm assuming they are together by the way they are holding each other, they could just be scared from the incoming nukes.

Not related to the above, somebody got a nice screenshot out of yesterday's video.

Some buildings still have a loading screen to get into them, as you can see from the greyed out windows. You can see plywood over the doors, but the house in front shows up on the compass so there's probably another way in or the doors just have really bad LOD models. You can see through the windows on the smaller building that's second from the right side of the picture. We can also see this area is pretty dense for an outside cell instead of a few houses spread all over the place, or a city stuck behind a loading screen.

Most interesting is that bus/car on the compass. If it were just something like an old car dealership it would show up like any other POI, but it's a bus/car! I can't imagine it's for a car, since I can't think of how you would drive it, so it may be a garage for your power armor. That brings up another question, we know you can modify your power armor, but how do you store it away when you don't want to use it? Do you have to walk it all the way to a garage, or does it fly off like Ironman/a fultoned dude?

Yaos fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 25, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I just realized the perk tree is the first in-game in-world pack-in item for a piece of hardware that's not there as a throw away joke. On Reddit it was brought up that the perk tree is accessed through the Pip Boy, yet it's about as far away from the Pip Boy interface you can get. The tree is actually a pack-in poster that comes with the Pip Boy, which is interesting since it's also a pack-in poster with the physical copy of the game.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Peztopiary posted:

They re-used the discs they didn't sell. Also, lol at the good Fallouts having Bethesda branding.

Good luck in this thread after saying New Vegas wasn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

Wikia has a new format and indexing system which currently doesn't work :holy:

Works fine for me.

• Locked thread