Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i went back to NV for a lark to see just how wonky it played, and i gotta say, there's a lot of changes in FO4 that aren't immediately apparent, but really increase your immersion.

movement in NV is seriously like being an iceskater that just glides effortlessly all over the terrain regardless of the makeup of the surface. it's so jarring to just float everywhere at the same exact speed when FO4 actually added a concept of weight to your movement (most noticably when you walk on vs versus in the powered armor, the powered armor feels like your stomping around is a metal suit). you also jump and fall at the same speed in NV, so it feels like you're just a weightless ghost floating up and down. and oh dear god, i know that the quality of faces in video games is always awful, but i forgot just how much every character in NV looks like their head is a featureless lump of dough with two misshapen buttons mashed in for the eyes.

also a weird thing that caught me off guard that i never paid attention to before - in good springs if you ask the bartender trudy about caesar's legion, she makes a reference to how they dress like "romans". i don't know why i never caught that before, but where the gently caress would a bartender in some gently caress-off small town have been educated about ancient romans? it really broke the flow of the setting for me, which i am sure makes me crazy, but it was unusual because obsidian is usually air tight at keeping their worlds consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

NT Plus posted:

I mean, it's not entirely out there? History didn't just up and disappear when the bombs fell. There's a ton of cultural influence going on in New Vegas and I don't think it's that far of a stretch for someone to be like,

:downs: - "Hey did you know about the Roman Empire before bombs rocked our poo poo? There's a guy named Caesar and he has a Legion and his dudes dress like that."

Not sure how old the Courier is, but being that Caesar's Legion is a notorious warband of rear end in a top hat tribals that rape, pillage and murder, s/he wouldn't have to hear a miniature catch up on who the Romans are. All you need to know if you don't know anything about the Roman Empire is that they were people who dressed like Caesar's dudes do now, and the current Legion is a name you should run away from or shoot fast.

it's still jarring in the context of the game to me, because you also have an entire city of people (an entire region really) who have no idea who elvis presley was, and this is including an entire faction of guys who have dedicated their life to imitating him. you can say that obsidian didn't have the money to license elvis' likeness from his family or whatever, but it's still inconsistent that people are at least educated enough on pre-war history to know what the roman empire was, and yet somehow an entire region of people has no clue who elvis was. i feel like it would have made more sense to just drop the "dress like romans" line, because obsidian is usually top notch at keeping internal consistancy in their narrative.

another big difference between NV and FO4 - lighting, and the quality thereof. NV really looks like a giant empty space with a sky box just floating weirdly above, and "sunlight" or "moonlight" seem to be settings on a dimmer switch just beyond the player's reach. FO4 really went to great lengths (assuming your system can handle it) to provide realistic lighting that gets broken by objects or varies in intensity relative to the weather, and it is a really nice touch.

my favorite detail in FO4 is how rain blots on your visor while wearing powered armor. also, the fact that killing someone at close range in a particularly bloody fasion will also spray blood onto your visor.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sockser posted:

The Corvega plant? I couldn't figure out how to extend the bridge so I jumped it and then extended it from the other side.

Took like three tries.

same. i started running a little before the ramp and manage to jump it. i didn't find the button to extend the bridge until i was coming back from the other side and thought "there's got to be a better way for this. they couldn't have intended me to jump the gap. how did the raiders get up here?"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

woodenchicken posted:

I may have joined the Institute without wanting to... is there a way to break alliance with them and thus progress the plot, WITHOUT just entering their base and opening fire on everyone? Like, doing some task for another faction elsewhere that would anger them?

yeah, the quest that sends you to Mass Fusion is the choice point in the game. whichever faction you take with you to Mass Fusion is the faction you get stuck with. if you've already done that with the institute, i think killing them all is your only way out, as that makes you are now hositle with BoS. you could possibly kill all the institute dudes and still finish the game with the minutemen; i think they're the yes-man option in this game (i.e. option of last resort).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Gynovore posted:

Lay a bunch of landmines in the doorway before talking to Little Shaun?

Now that I think about it, from a storytelling POV, what's the point of Little Shaun anyway? He's just... there.

he's a decoy for the player the first time thru, so that it seems like your son is still an 8 year old boy and you can rescue him.

once you actually go thru the conversation with Father, all you can infer is that the synth was part of his big WHAT-IF about thawing you out in the first place. basically it was bait to try and get you to come visit.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm curious as to how an Irish immigrant is in Post-Apocalyptic Massachusetts. Is there a potato famine and a lot of ships sending Irish people over?

Even more baffling are the Russian guys that run the dugout inn in Diamond City. I guess they just swam through an ocean of radiation to make emigrate to the Commonwealth?

the most hilarious outcome is that the US completely lost WW3 and they were the only nation to get nuked to hell and the rest of the world is fine with the US not being the planet's 800 lb gorilla, so they have a NATO like group that barricades the northern and southern borders and doesn't let anything in or out.

some enterprising russians in a paddle boat snuck by, but gently caress 'em who wants to visit there anyway.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bholder posted:

They will probably never bring the classic XP system to TES games they will keep the whole "improve by doing" system, at least in spirit.

The whole level scaling scare was mostly overrated in Skyrim, it was never as bad as it was in Oblivion and even if you were focusing on a more handy side of the game like, crafting you could always use those advantages even with leveled up enemies. For example, tempered weapons were extremely broken and if you were just sneaking around a lot you could instantly kill even the boss enemies from stealth.

yeah, that's the biggest problem with the level scaling as implemented in TES and FO3/4 - it is more punishing to casual players, and tends to over-reward people who are willing to exploit system mastery. if you know what you're doing, you can use (in Skyrim for example) the alchemy > smithing > enchanting > ad infinitum trick to craft weapons and armor that will make your hero an unstoppable god. if you don't know what you're doing, a la someone just casually playing through the game the first time, you can make resolving combat related interactions harder on yourself than it needs to be (to what extent it is harder is open to interpretation). there's absolutely a valid argument that a master pickpocket / persuader / blocker shouldn't be expected to have the same combat efficiency as someone who was geared that way; the problem is that many of the quests in the game are rather linear and ultimately have to be resolved via combat. you can sneak or magic or fight your way to the end of a barrow, but almost every single one has a draugr boss at the end that you have to kill to get the word of power. likewise, you can't pickpocket alduin into submission, even if you're the most legendary pickpocket in the land.

level scaling will always be an issue if combat is the game's primary conflict resolution system, and doing non-combat things can inadvertantly increase the scaling.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tenzarin posted:

This is not even close to taking athlete, acrobat, and swimming as major skills in Morrowind or Oblivion.

no kidding! that's an optimal build, because you're very unlikely to ever raise those skills, so you can get maximum modifers each level from using your sword and wearing armor as those non-major skills won't push you past half a level's progress.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azhais posted:

It's not like they didn't want you there. You went and killed their previous menial tasks bitch.

Clearly Fo4 is a prequel for NV. Finally tired of ferrying seeds to robot farmers, you head to Nevada to be a courier on your own terms

i am 100% on board with this as soon as someone figures out a tale of two wastelands style mod to put NV into FO4 i know this is impossible

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

captain innocuous posted:

End game spoilers and general story gripes.

Why does the Institute replace people with synths? It doesn't serve any purpose. Why make Synths at all? I guess so the game can have Terminators?

-- they want people they can control to be topside in case they ever need something they can't fabricate in their base. the fact that every synth has a spoken phrase that immediately puts them into stand-by slumber mode shows that all of the institute's efforts are about control. SHAWN creates the robot kid SHAWN synth to go run around with Kellog on the off chance that you might find him, because he wants to control john fallout into meeting him in the institute. the institute doesn't completely care about what goes on above ground, but they want people who will 100% do what they're told, no questions, if they have to get something done up there.

Why even bother making an announcement over the radio after the reactor is turned on? You have everything you could ever want in the institute, why bother with the commonwealth?

-- even better, once you beat the game with the institute, there's no follow-up to this. it's really just a thing that the player does with no measurable impact or outcome. no other NPC even mentions it to you in passing radiant conversation

Why does the brotherhood attack the Railroad? They are harmless idiots until they put the PC in a corner. Simply having a pro-synth agenda means a death sentence from the brotherhood? So i guess Diamond City is next, because Valentine's office is there.

-- the brotherhood is pretty anti-synth in this game, so one possible conclusion is that once they find out what the railroad is actually doing, they're wiping them out based on principle. if you're talking about a literal in-game explanation, i don't know if that explicitly happens.

How did the brotherhood learn about bunker hill? I haven't played the Brotherhood quest line, but it seems like a terrible idea to throw half a dozen Vertibirds and dozens of troops into a meat grinder to kill four defenseless robots.

-- i only played through the end with the institute, so i don't know if this is explained in the brotherhood questline. it is also possible that they were just in the area and someone got paranoid at bunker hill and started shooting, and things escalated from there.

In the flashback with Kellog, he talks about orders from The Old Man™, but Shaun is a wee baby. Who is he talking about?

-- i think this was just a continuity error on the writer's part. you eventually find out that kellog is 200 years old because of being a cyborg and the SHAWN kid you see every time is a synth and Father is actually the old man running the institute. i would bet the line for kellog was written with the intent that SHAWN is Father, without really thinking about if it made sense in a scene where SHAWN was a baby. conceivably there have been other people who ran the institute before SHAWN, so it could also just be one of the nameless prior head scientists.

Shaun wakes you up as a "science experiment" to see how you would react to the wasteland? Seriously? And he desperately wants to meet you, but doesn't just zap you into the institute?

-- yep. that's as much explanation as you get.

Once you attack a courser and don't kill it instantly, shouldn't it zap instantly back to home base and tattle on you to Father? They can teleport at will.

-- coursers are supposed to be top of the line shitkickers, so they probably aren't phased by some rando taking a few shots at them. by the time it realizes you're a real threat, it's too late to just teleport out. alternately, most players won't find the courser until they are fairly high level, and it's possible to one-shot him without even having to really try.

Why can I even read a terminal that has a list of all of the synth spies in the commonwealth if I can't tell anyone about it? I couldn't even accuse Trashcan Carla. The mayor of Diamond City, etc.

-- best case scenario is that is a hook that gets followed up on in the forthcoming DLC. worst case scenario, it's bethesda :downs: being bethesda :downs:

If Synths aren't people, and it is obvious that they are sentient after spending two seconds with one, why does Father send you home with Synth Shaun? As some sort of sick joke? Is Synth Shaun going to stay 10 years old forever?

-- yeah, that would be the inference. they can't grow, but they sure as poo poo can start rotting apart (as evidenced by nick). you'd have a perpetual 10 year old body at least, although it's clear they can learn and grow mentally like anyone else.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

WhatEvil posted:

Sometimes settlers seem to get up on the roofs in Sanctuary in my game. There aren't any stairs or ways of getting up there, but they manage it anyway. Assholes.

yeah the mechanic dude with the flock of seagulls hair wound up on top of the workbench house the first time i came back to town and had to ask him about some dumb quest thing. thank god for the console and tcl

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

8one6 posted:

Is this the place where I can show off my Mine(trash)craft? if so behold Hangman's Villa

to me, the frustrating thing is that you spent a lot of time doing something awesome, and the game doesn't acknowledge it or reward you in any way

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I hope a future patch manages to raise the building limits (without making the game explode). By the time I've gotten beds set up for everyone, most settlements are already in the yellow on the build-o-meter.

not sure if this has been patched out yet, but at least on 1.0 if you dropped all your junk on the ground inside a settlement, and then went into build mode and manually clicked and scrapped each item (R on keyboard i think) you would get the crafting parts sent to the workbench, but the game would also reduce the town's building limit meter by a small amount. the crazy thing was, if you did this enough times, you could get your meter to zero, and then feasibly some negative number, because my red rocket gas station is my home base and i've got a ton of stuff built there and my building meter is like < 25% full, and i always manually scrap my junk items on the ground.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

shovelbum posted:

I never got that quest (I shot Father and cool coat guy in the faces and blew up their houses). Is it as baffling as tree rest of the main quest?

everything after "find kellog" just goes off the loving rails. all of the main story quests after that point are either incredibly boring and involves walking through 4 loading screens to talk to one guy to turn around and go back through 4 loading screens, or it makes no sense in the context of the "story" and is basically an excuse for you to shoot 100 raiders/synths/zombies/etc.

edit: don't think of the game as an rpg where you are guiding john fallout through an intense story; think of it as minecraft-lite with an arbitrary end point

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 10, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Khanstant posted:

Really what you should do is console yourself building materials when you need them and stop padding out the game by compulsively clicking on garbage. When you're done with the game, you'll only have bitterness for all the time you spent managing inventory junk.

jesus no poo poo. if you aren't going the garbage farmer route (PROTIP: there is no reason to do this, at all, outside of playing legos / virtual doll house) the game probably doesn't take more than a few hours to beat, and most of that would just be on foot travel time to all the locations before you unlock each one for fast travel. the game would actually get faster to beat as you progressed.

it's an interesting perspective, going back to NV, because there's still the garbage farmer element if you want to do the science/repair/medicine/survival stuff, but the total number of objects that are actually interactive vs just background decoration is night and day. the fact that phones and desk fans alone aren't interactive objects creates way less junk.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

FronzelNeekburm posted:

They definitely don't expect people to play very long on average.

i would guess with an open world oriented game, there's no great way to balance against the fact that the player can effectively out-level / out-gear content. if you base the difficulty curve around the player following only the main plot and doing nothing else, you wind up with a very low difficulty curve. it's hard to assume which other content a player is going to do, and there aren't a lot of options that are easily available that would keep the difficulty curve the same if the player does do side content. of course that in-and-of itself is ironic, because you're spending all these man hours and resources to create and populate a whole world, and then planning the game around the average player seeing 5% of it. given the current attitude of many AAA game studios (content people won't see is wasted money) i guess we're somewhat lucky that bethesda is still willing to make games that they assume will have the majority of the content ignored by the player.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

AgentHaiTo posted:

So I finished the Silver Shroud quest, and I started seeing that Unstoppables comic book in my loading menu, where Grognak, Silver Shroud and I think that Sniper Lady from another magazine and some fourth person I don't recognize are on an Avengers like team. Is there stuff with the other heroes? I have Grognak's costume but I don't remember reading any terminals about it. And I happen to play a female stealth sniper, so I feel like I want a mod that recreates the Unstoppables team from that cover of the comic book.

It would make a great DLC either way. Although, then I would want mods to dress Nick in the Silver Shroud outfit, and Strong in the Grognak outfit and be able to team up with them at the same time.

i think the lady is the mistress of mystery that you hear all about while doing the silver shroud quest. the other dude is manta-man, for which there is little reference, aside from the junk item "burned manta-man comic" you can find all over hubris.

it's actually kind of frustrating that there's so many things you can interact with that have no purpose, when other things randomly have one. okay, so past due library books have a neat little side quest, but burnt <thing> magazines or folders do not, and you have no way of knowing which items are actually useful unless you read a wiki or stumble across the NPC that uses said item.

the biggest "wha?" for me is the folders scattered all loving over. they serve NO purpose? chekhov's gun much bethesda?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

AgentHaiTo posted:

I found the picture, and it looks like there is a magical hero that is probably the Mistress of Mystery and there is a shooter lady also, so there are 5 of them.

my guess is the mistress of mystery is the lady with the veil and the gun (the outfit seems to match the silver shroud motif) and the circus ringleader woman is someone else, but on the other hand it's bethesda so idgaf

it would be fun if one of the bethesda DLC quests was to go to the memory den and play out an adventure as a nameless member of the unstoppables (or even as the silver shroud) with the other members of the team as NPCs that can join you in the DLC. they could even claim it's the memory of someone who saw an unstoppables movie and you're really just going back thru that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Fojar38 posted:

I'm curious as to how anyone would ever play this on a high difficulty where everything is a bullet sponge and you can only take like 3 hits before dying

even better, wait for the DLC that has to accomodate increasing the difficulty for players that might be very high level / have very good gear, and the laziest, sloppiest best, most effective way of upping the difficulty is for all hostiles to have 100x their normal health pool.

see: point lookout / mothership zeta / old world blues / lonesome road for the best examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Crunkjuice posted:

Just got fallout, am about 14 hours into it and just finished whitechapel charlie's quest in goodneighbor. I'm on Xbox One and it randomly shut out of the game and will not load any saves. It froze twice trying to load my last save, I deleted it and tried the one 3 minutes prior and it just nopes out and returns me to the xbox home screen. What in the gently caress? It hasn't left the xbox in a week so I don't think its a dirty disc. I've also had mad problems with corrupt save files if that makes any difference. I've saved twice before exiting the game knowing the last save would always be corrupt.

Any help?

try playing on the pc :rimshot:

at least then you can console most of your problems away

• Locked thread