Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

In today's world they'd probably catch a lot of poo poo for making the mentially handicapped look really stupid and worthless. Then we could listen to the wails of dispair from all the SJWs as well as NMA for the next 18 months.

For everyone who wants to joke about canceling their pre-order as the list of things that will/won't be included come out, well good news for you! Now you'll actually have something to cancel. Also loving how the game as pulled a 180 from green/brown blob to vibrant techicolour and people are still bitching about how it looks. That lead paint held up well to the scorching heat of an atomic blast.

This is probably the 1 thing I am looking forward to hearing more about at E3, in particualr the setting. It only looks like things have been laying abandonded for a few decades in the trailer instead of two centuries. Then again, creative license I guess.

E:

twistedmentat posted:

I know people generally don't like the Enclave as villains, but I always loved them. And 3 and NV made them a little more nuanced than 2 did.
I always chose the options that wouldn't result in destroying ZAX. The wasteland would feel too empty without a psychotic, genocidal AI running around.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Moira was probably one of the best NPCs in Fallout 3, so sadistic yet so naive. It was kind of endearing when you asked he why she was trying to do what she does and she gave you the whole speal about everyone else trying to put a broken glass back together while she was the only one trying to make the best of the situation they were in.

Also, as for Tenpennyand how he got to the US, we saw a rocket augmented USS Constitution in the trailer though god only knows why it exists. Maybe he used one of those to get across. There's also zeppelins in this game, ala Fallout: Tactics (and breifly mentioned in FO3) so it should be interesting to see how that plays out. The BOS will likely be making another appearance.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

megalodong posted:

I though fallout 3 ended with you ignoring your radiation-immune mutant and ghoul companions in order to heroically sacrifice yourself by walking into a radioactive room.

You could pay $10 to rewrite history. Poors who didn't go for this still die pointlessly while Thomas Jefferson glares down at your withering corpse.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Republican Vampire posted:

Yeah, but it was probably doomed anyway. It was the Think Tank that came up with that stuff and they were super nuts.

Well that and the stuff about Vault-Tec and the pre-war Enclave group having planned the Vault system to be some sort of grand social experiment to see how people would behave in isolation and space and poo poo.

Only they needed a reason to jam all these people into their experiment so they kicked off the Great War with the Chinese.

Tech like micro fusion cells would've made oil unnecessary in the end but the war had to happen any way.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The "let's blow up the world and take a piece for ourselves" story was the prevailing theme in the FO Bible when I last read it ages ago. No idea if its still canon or not.

Seems a good a reason as any to start a war in the hosed up universe that is Fallout.

Oddly enough thats was also a major theme in New Vegas too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The FO "Bible" has to be taken with a shaker of salt since it devolved into Chris Avellone using it as a opportunity to retcon all the things he didn't like from FO2.

Yeah I know they liked to screw around with it and change things after the fact. The GNN report some one mentioed earlier and the whole oil rig and UN blustering you read about in the Sierra Army Depot was later reconed out afterwards.

The Bible was a good read though. some interesting ideas in there.

To the person who asked earlier. The city over run by feral animals was Denver. They had some great ideas for what was going to be Van Bruen.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ghouls don't age at all, but they can (and often do) go Feral and lose their minds. In fact, originally it was only the bombs that dropped in 2077 that caused people to become ghoul-ified so thats another thing Fallout 3 hosed up!

For a while they went back and forth with it being a result of radiation, radiation and FEV then back to just good ol' SpoooOOOOooOOooky Radiation. Now some creatures are a result of being horribly mutated and some are a result of being exposed to FEV.

FEV itself has a long rear end history that keeps changing so who knows.

One of the Ghouls in Underworld breifly tells you what it was like the night the bombs fell but really doesn't go into much detail, only that the onset was gradual and affected most people who survived the initial radiation sickness.

Edit:

Zoe posted:

It's just that everyone is lazy and can't be bothered to do anything for themselves, like all NPCs.
They were all too busy boarding up every building and pulling the tires off every vehicle and piling them up in random spots.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 5, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The DC ruins were interesting because there were lots of things to crawl around in, though they do reuse a lot of assets I really never tired of it. In an interview one of the people on the team said they orignally had a lot more stuff in the ruins of DC itself but had to cut back on the locations as everything started to look to "samey" and I guess they also ran out of time or something. I do hope there is more variety in Boston.

Replaying FO3 now because I haven't replayed it in a couple years. I'm on my way to GNR now and happened to think to myself - unironically - I wonder if you'll get to travel around whatever this new wasteland is called using the Boston T. I'm probably one of the only people here who didn't mind the subway tunnels and thought it made sense to use to get around the clogged streets above. But then again I'm also a sucker for exploring urban ruins. It's a shame you can't actually walk though the ruined subway cars and pick through whatever people dropped on their way to work/the afterlife.

LLCoolJD posted:

These are good. The Fiends really were gluttons for punishment in mid/late-game F:NV. 1st place goes to those muggers in the Outer Strip, though.
The best part is when people would run up to you and try to give you tribute, only to be interrupted but you being mugged, which immediatly caused everyone to freak out. Having every Kings gang member on the map ruthlessly hunt down muggers in Freeside as you ran though was always fun to watch.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Didn't his VA sent a tweet a while back saying he was doing more work for Bethesda? Donno if that's still the case but I also seem to remember someone mentioning that they have some one else doing it now, but it's in a post burried in one of these threads and who knows if it's actually true.

Lets just assume worst case scenario and that he is back in the game and has some unhealthy obsession with you, letting thw world know that the second coming of Jesus has arrived, except for that one time when you didn't let a bunch of crazy ghouls murder a building full of people beacuse they didn't let their leader in.

This also begs the question of when this game takes place - everything in the trailer looks like its been abandoned for less than 50 years, which would put this roughly in the time frame of FO1. But Bethesda never goes back in time and if they're hoing to tie all the crap that took place in FO3 into FO4 then we'd still need to be in around the late 2270's.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Republican Vampire posted:

MIT did, and they're like under a mile from each other. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd been taken over/obliterated by The Institute though.

I imagine "The Institute" is MIT though, its name just changed because people are lazy or some paint on a sign went missing and everyone just rolled with it.

I imagine Harvard will also fit the same stereotype of any higher place of learning in sci-fi and look innocuous but actually be 100% evil when you get to know the mad scientists who run the place and presue their own experiments with reckless abandon. Or be an entire faction of nothing but lawyers. Which ever is worse.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
On an unrelated note, seeing some of the things in the trailer such as the house with the door missing as well as windows you can clearerly see though and the garage with the bay door wide open, it makes me wonder if Bethesda has somehow managed to figure out how to make seamless transitions or load more at once to create more of an open world.

There was one house in NV that existed like that, somewhere unmarked somewhere to the north-west of the city IIRC. It was the only house like it and it almost seemed like an experiment, to see if it could be done.

Of course the trailer is likely to have little relation to what the final game is like and the sequence with the dog probably isn't even done in the game itself. Would be nice though as that house looks pretty rad.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That should've been one of the Vault experiments. Screw subliminal messages while people try to sleep, what would happen if people had to listen to the same song every day, all day for 300 years?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kurtofan posted:

I have no idea why Bethesda is even developping these games. It's obvious they're out of their league in a non-elder scrolls type game.

In all honesty the often horrid and extremely brief conversations were a step up from their last game.

It's almost like a reverse text parser seen in old timey adventure games. I like to think my character just ran around barking AOL key words at people and seeing what they responded with.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 8, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's actually the ghost of your father, watching over your every move and looking on in disappointment. Running for shelter instead of facing the Chinese nukes head on and showing them who's boss is yet another sign that he raised a pussy for a son. He only appears in your peripheral vision though and will vanish as soon as you look to see what moved in the corner of your vision.

How many times did people need to watch this trailer over and over again to find that? I mean I've loved this franchise since it first came out 97 but I get the feeling, based on how many Youtube videos of people filimg their reactions, that there are some people who have been watching it on infinite loop since Tuesday and jerking off to it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This game will be worse then Daikatana in every possible way it is to be worse, plus several ways we've not yet discovered. John Romero is already preparing to make the entire FO4 dev team his bitch, confident in the fact that he is no longer single handedly responsible for the worst game to come out since ET.

I would cancel my pre-order but I am waiting on them to annonuce the collectors edition before pre-ordering it.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 8, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I only used VATS when trying to avoid taking a shotload of damage, say from getting a rocket to the face or having one of those ghoul bullet sponges gank you.

It was quite handy being able to turn immoral while dishing out some damage.

Otherwise yes KB+M was just fine. I may still be used to the old games though where you needed a sacrifice for the RNG gods to hit the broad side of a barn in the early game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's like New Vegas' core game was made by a bunch of people new to the engine and the DLCs were made after everyone had 1.5 years of experience working with it, whoaaaaaa

They were also structured like an expansion pack, which is actually a far less offensive way of presenting DLC. You remember Morrowind, right?

I mostly liked how they all tied into each other to tell another story, and that bits and pieces of each character and a bit of their back story could be found in each. It also introduced some more comical elements like Saturnite and how dangerous everyday objects made out of it could be. As well as horrifying things like the Y-17 Trauma Override Harnesses which became even more horrifying when you started reading the notes of the people who developed them. And while I didn't really like the setting of Dead Money, I did find it's subplot rather tragic.

In short, when the inevitable DLC does come out I hope they tie it all together somehow instead of just adding in a mishmash of random stories and loot.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

Best part of Fallout 3 is when you run into the Brotherhood on the way to GNR, they cut through a ton of mutants and basically tell you to gently caress off. The worst part is when that just turns out to be setup for a boss you're supposed to kill.

I found out the hard way that if you discover your dad went to Vault 112 before you discover he went to GNR it just skips the whole "find Three Dog" quest, which also means the BOS aren't fighting the Super Mutants in the area around the building leaving the entire task up to you, including the boss fight you now get to do with only whatever surviving guards you find infront of the GNR. Fun!

Fortunatly it turns out the boss can't fit through the door of a nearby building and has no ranged attack so you can just cheese the hell out of the fight.

e: quoted right post

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 10, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think Guy Feiri's upbeat and positive voice would be hillariously out of place and perfect for this game with this subject matter.

I can hear his voice now, speaking to some wastelander who watched half their shanty town get slaughtered that they should head down to this local deli that makes a bitchin Reuben sandwich that will cheer them right up.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's really impressive how they managed to tie their own hands behind their back. Do they have double joints or something?

No but they are sometimes that incomprehensibly stupid. I get that they may want to stop any confusion or a situation where they start retconning things but that kinda already happens.

I've never noticed that in the Elder Scrolls games as they all look the same. Also there's no real world equilivent to compare to. But in a game that has actual Earth years it just look really strange.

If they want to reboot this and just make it thier own. Fine. Just get it over with then...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I found the easiest way of dealing with the bullet sponges was to simply open the console, select the creature and use the kill command.

Not really in keeping with sprit of the game but they were a pain in the rear end, wasted a ton of ammo and had no reward for dealing with them legitimately.

I'm not sure why they exist at all except for maybe a clumsy attempt at a speedbump or forcing the player to expend more resources in an attempt to present a challenge. They suck at both.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OwlFancier posted:

What the buggery is happening in Doom? Why is everyone made of plasticine?

I think a more important question is what did all the UAC scientists eat on Mars? You can't grow food there and it's also impossible to transport food - anywhere. Also, what did the demons eat? Did they invade Mars because there is no food in Hell so they had to eat the scientists? Maybe the invasion was just one big misunderstanding.

Also, does anyone know how long the Bethesda event is supposed to be? They're probably going to save the one thing 98% of people are there to see until the very end.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

Confirmed pre-war intro.

The most exciting thing yet - I've always wanted to see how the world was before. I think revisiting the your old neighbourhood, your home, all the things that used to be familiar to you will be great.

Oh, also you can see through windows now. And it looks like the world is more open, not a bunch of cells you need to keep loading.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Everyone will be excited to know that VATS is still around. Enjoy.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Okay, the collector's edition needs to be put on Steam now so I can start throwing money at this.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crabtree posted:

I'm kind of worried that that mod stuff they were talking about back with DOOM could be their own little Uplay at worst, Rockstar Social network at best.

Yeah I'm not too thrilled with Battle Bethesda.net ow whatever it is either. I just hope it isn't as hosed up as Games for Windows Live and can be safely ignored. I'm not too worried about paid mods as I don't use too many anyway and can live without them. I just don't want to be hamstrung by network issues and other forced online poo poo.

edit:
oh also Simcity is in I guess? That actually looks pretty cool. I can see this turning into "gently caress the main quest - I gotta run my town".

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hey you get your own Vertibird gunship at least.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OwlFancier posted:

November 10th 2015 release.

The protagonist apparently sleeps for 200 years, can I use that same technology to sleep until November?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Tormented posted:

This is the sound of that paid mods are coming. Mark my words.

They already tried it once with Skyrim it didn't work because of the fuckery of that community but a new game, hell yes lets make some free DLC dollars.

This seems to tie in more with their crappy Bethesda.net thing they're dragging out. Honestly, i don't care so long as it can be safely ignored.

On another note: Someone was talking about fishpeople a couple pages back. This made me realise how many stupid elder gods and Cthiulu jokes and/or quests we are going to need to endure. I can tell you now, any quest in involving demon worship will just end with everyone being shot.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Cryotech has always resulted in the person dying after being defrosted, according to Fallout 2's Private Dobbs and even Mr. House because the technology just wasn't there yet. Unless Bethesda is going to straight up ignore that, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Through the magic of MIT and possobly West-Tec the technology now exists. It was just a secret Vault thing before he war. Problem solved.

Edit: \/\/\/

As a gay man I've never understood the desperate need to shoehorn queer people into every facet of story telling. I don't care if I can fake marry my digital husbando in the totally not judgement atomic future. That's just creepy.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 15, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Hell, isn't there already kinda-sorts a precedent for the Lovecraft stuff in the Bethesda Falloutverse?

The nearest thing is the Dunwich Building in 3. It was a fun diversion because it was creepy and subtle. Not LOL guys - elder gods am i rite.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Moridin920 posted:

I'd be super stoked for this

Deus Ex Fallout: I never asked for this

I honestly suspect this is the actual story. Its so drat cleche but I don't put it passed them.

You're the robot, whata twist! Also man is the most evil creature in nature, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

khy posted:

You know what? I'll still get it. I have money.

The only place I've seen it available is Amazon and they won't ship outside the US. Only the standard edition is available on Steam so far as I can tell.

I wish they would hurry up so I could slap some money down and then pine about this for 5 months. Constantly threatening to cancel it at the slightest rumour.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Was Rage not programmed with one of the more recent id Tech engines?

I didn't notice any texture pop in the E3 demo nor any of the blurriness seen in Rage or parts of Wolfenstien.

I remember everyone at the time wanting Bethesda to switch to id Tech when Zenimax bought them because it was "so much better".

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I seem to recall most enemies staggering in both FO3 and NV when you did enough damage to them. I don't think that's anything new.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Manket posted:

Guys. Guys. The Junk Jet has a "Ignition Module" that lights projectiles on fire before launching them. Or there's an Electric Module that electrifies them. Deciding between shooting electrified toasters or flaming toasters at raiders will be a weighty decision that might just break the entire experience for me.

I hope the mutilated body parts misc items are in this game as well. It was always fun stuffing those into the Rock-It-Launcher and killing people by beating them with dismembered arms and legs and poo poo.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well the game is already full of Greaser gangs. Why not add in hotrods?

Except we still have no bitchin Highwayman to trick out so we need to hotrod our power armour. Then kill people in style.

Can't wait to paint mine up in some godawful anime abortion like the plane skins you see in games like Ace Combat.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I realize that walking around in a hulking piece of armour like that will already make you stand out and trying to move stealthily will be virtually impossible. But painting your armour bright red or yellow or pink makes me think youd become an even bigger target.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Maybe Uncle Leo, that other friendly Super Mutant in Fallout 3 is your mandatory Super Mutant companion in Fallout 4?

I would much prefer the company of Francis, from Broken Hills. He would go well with your Confirmed Bachelor perk.

They're transplanting other random NPCs from across the games - may as well bring some more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wish you actually literally played Gordon Freeman in this game.

All that character creation bullshit at the beginning? Yeah, just to psyche you out. You die like a pussy in a nuclear inferno.

When you emerge from the Vault you're sporting your crowbar and Hazard Orange coloured power armour. Also Alyx is in the game somehow.

• Locked thread