Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
New Vegas and Fallout 3 are kind of apples and oranges.

Fallout 3 is a soft remake of Fallout 1 and 2. While it's technically a sequel, it reestablishes a lot of elements from the first two games (The Brotherhood, Super Mutants, the Enclave).

New Vegas is a direct sequel to Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 3 tries to capture the dread of walking through the corpse of the world.

New Vegas is all about rebuilding. The Old World lingers, but New Vegas isn't a post-apocalyptic world. It's about the world moving on after a bad thing happened.

Fallout 3 is structured very similarly to Elder Scrolls games. There is a main story, but there are also side quests that exist almost in a vacuum to that main quest.

New Vegas's main story colors a lot about its world. A lot of the missions you do are for the NCR or Legion. Even when you go to an out of the way place like Jacobstown, the NCR is there being douches and Marcus will give you his two cents on Caesar. There are still surprises in New Vegas. Stumbling on the Brotherhood's headquarter's is an amazing part of that game. Still, the game's story hangs heavy over everything.

Fallout 3 throws you in the middle of the map with a marker of where to go.

New Vegas's world design is definitely more directed. New Vegas is about taking a long journey with a clear road. Exploration is actively scary and dangerous.

Arguing about gun play is a bit silly because both games are very similar and kinda lovely even if New Vegas is more robust.

New Vegas definitely has better character writing and while voice acting is limited, New Vegas brought in more mid level actors.

I like New Vegas better. For me it's one of the best games ever made, but there are a lot of things on this list that I think a lot of people will see as negatives that I see as pluses.

I think I get a little hot and bothered when people get smug about calling New Vegas out a lovely game. Once again, I get not liking it, but the thing about New Vegas is that it's a very audacious game. It's a game in which there is a very minor character and forgettable character at Mojave Outpost who has great dialogue if you happen to play as a gay or bi man. There is a mission centered around rape that is actually good and thoughtful. It's a game made in less than two years that is great at best and bold at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
New Vegas was really smart in how they deal with gang members. The AI was still boring poo poo, but Raiders were usually found either in their own territory or in ambush locations (High ground, hiding in abandoned buildings).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

khy posted:

Chomp tell me have you ever played any of the Fallout games using INT as a dump stat?

I'm genuinely curious because aside from FO3, having a low INT makes for some of the most hilarious playthroughs ever.

Like killing the Bunny Hunter for Eddie at the NCRCF, or buying plants from Dr Usanagi
The low INT silliness gets played, but there's a lot of value in playing a high intelligence character in New Vegas.

During the mission in which you interrogate the Legion member, you can speak Latin and scare the poo poo out of him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Want to take bets on your son turning out to still be alive and the semi-robotic Big Bad?

I'm also expecting the plot to be a bit of a rehash of the Master, but with robots instead of Super Mutants.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Volkerball posted:

they said that your character was the lone survivor from the vault. his family could still be alive through some technicality i suppose, but that doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of wiggle room.
Fallout 3 starts with an omniscient narrator lying to you. So, I feel like I have a good deal of wiggle room.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Nevets posted:

H Jon Benjamin has a great voice, but it's just one voice. Billy West can voice dozens of characters in the same show and you wouldn't know it.
Benjamin can do other voices (He does Jimmy Pesto and others on Bob's Burgers). It's just his actual voice is the best. He originally planned to do Archer British.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really hope Bethesda remembers that the bombs fell a week before Halloween. I want to visit Salem and I want it decked the for the holiday. I'm going to be bummed if there isn't an old haunted house I can walk around in.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can androids get high?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

People in ancient Rome talked about Hannibal a millennia after it happened, some stuff just leaves a huge cultural scar.
I don't think it's a matter of not wanting the post-apocalyptic world to talk about the old world or the war. In New Vegas, it is clear that civilization is very defined by the Old World at least in the sense that history will be defined as a before and an after for a very long time.

But society continues on. The Brotherhood of Steel, Kings, and Followers are straight up religious groups. The Khans, Boomers, and Legion are new and unique cultures. The Mojave is frontier land, but there's a sense of history to it all. There already was a great war between the Legion and NCR with monuments to people who sacrificed. The Khans have already had to face near genocide and move homes. The Mojave feels like a place where the war happened and another 200 years of other poo poo also happened.

And to be fair, there are some touches like that in Fallout 3, but it feels more nebulous and not as well defined as the Mojave's history.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's probably just a dumb little thing you can do by moving the left stick.

I love how fleshy the models look. Animations may not look great, but they don't look like stiff action figures like in the previous game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It would be interesting if they still maintained tagging, but have the skills you tag work like Perks. So, if I click Barter I just have a flat discount that carries through the game or if I click guns, it's easier for me to get Criticals, or if I click Science then computer hacking is slightly easier.

I am going to be bummed with traits aren't maintained.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JackBadass posted:

How is your character the only survivor of Vault 111? If children are immortal, shouldn't your baby still be alive?
Still calling your baby turns out to be the main antagonist somehow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JackBadass posted:

Los Angles would have made a much more interesting setting than a nowhereburg like loving Boston. At least with LA you'd have Hollywood.
LA is nothing but burnt out skeletons of skyscrapers that Fallout-LA apparently had.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

cargohills posted:

LA would be even worse than New York.
I really, really hope that any references to NYC in Fallout 4 make it clear that the place is a hole in the ground. Not out of hatred to NYC, but I think Bethesda has already stretched things with how well preserved DC was. Which is fine in retrospect considering that DC is a relatively small city and they did enough damage to kill leaders. But it's silly for LA to be the Boneyard and New York to be standing at all.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

I'd hope they take the whole "They turned that city into a sheet of glass" thing almost literally, and its just a huge plane of glass like a salt-lake almost. Not a mirror of course, but just a huge glass expanse with small imperfections. Yeah its unrealistic, but it'd be cool to see.
That's a really balla idea. Especially if people kept referring to The Glass, and you just slowly realizes through context clues what they were talking about.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The way i go with Bethesda games is get it on console first and then get it on Steam like a year later for cheap to replay. The best New Vegas and Skyrim mods came out nearly two years after release. Hell, some of New Vegas's best mods were released last year.

It also depends on how much I enjoy the game. Fallout 3 is good, but I've always had trouble getting back into it. Skyrim is such a beautiful game despite its flaws and I love the characters and politics of New Vegas. Those are games that I wanted to add little immersion things and quest fixes and graphical stuff to enhance it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CrazyLoon posted:

You know, something actually springs to mind involving that game that relates to Fallout 4. I sure hope they don't copy Alpha Protocol's dialogue system for Fallout 4, given this will be Bethesda's first foray into a voiced protagonist. Bioware might get a lot of poo poo for the right reasons, but their dialogue system is a lot better than Alpha Protocol's one-word:

Sarcastic
Aggresive
Investigate
Diplomatic

...and having each choice give you a batshit extreme answer, while also pressuring you with a timer.

Also, I am happy to see Eonwe in another thread I read. The spinning pink elephant makes everything better.
Alpha Protocol sort of leaned into a problem that a lot of games with voiced protagonists and dialogue choices have. Often you'll have a brief summary of what the character is going to say (Which it feels like Fallout 4 is doing), but the full response doesn't fully match up. Alpha Protocol leans into that by making it clear what the spirit of the phrase will be, but you're right that it falls into the issue of not really matching with what the player hoped to say.

The timer is dope and works for the game though just like it works with Telltale Games.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dusty Lens posted:

I guess one of the primary differences will be if I can just mash the quickload button in Fallout to negate the impact from that sort of thing. While I know you can probably cheat your way through a TTG it's not exactly the same as the 100% pickpocket success simulator that you generally get with a Bethesda title.
Well, the thing is that having a timer or not having a timer serves different sort of gameplay.

In Fallout 3 or New Vegas, dialogue choices serve two primary purposes: Exploring Lore and Defining Character. New Vegas dug a little deeper into the latter, but both games let you define your hero's personality with some level of depth. And that stuff requires contemplation. Deciding my Courier speaks Latin or my Lone Wanderer is going to be an arrogant dick to the Wastelanders shouldn't be a hurried exercise.

In Walking Dead, Lee is a predefined character. You're just deciding how he reacts to certain things. And when you're simulating man is the real monster interpersonal drama of zombie movies, the timer works great.

I think that the big bummer for me is that I don't think I'm really going to get to define my Lone Survivor as much as I did in New Vegas or even Fallout 3. I reveled in creating my gay doctor who spoke Latin and abhorred unnecessary violence. And even in Fallout 3, I like when the game let my character just be sort of a spoiled rich kid oval office to people.

I think that's harder to do with a voiced character, and that doesn't make the game bad. But it's definitely something that I think is going to be lost.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

This is also incredibly wrong. Last time I checked, the census puts it somewhere between 12 and 15 percent depending on how you want to define the term. That's still incredibly significant, but nowhere near parity.
The statistic you're quoting is how many people primarily speak Spanish at home. So the number probably increased quite a bit, and is probably well over 50% if you include non-fluent speakers like myself.

I wonder if Obsidian knows if Bethesda is considering at all letting them take another stab at the franchise. If not, i really hope that the team eventually elaborates on the weird little world building hooks the plant in New Vegas like the rangers chasing ghosts in Baja.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do hope there is original post-war music like "Home on the Wastes" in New Vegas. It makes the world a bit more real to actually have new music.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I will be incredibly surprised if they even implement the eat and sleep mechanics in any capacity for the player.
I wouldn't be. The crafting stuff definitely makes it seem like they've been paying attention to video games trends over the last seven years. I think they know about the popularity of stuff like Day Z or Don't Starve. And it was already in New Vegas.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Det_no posted:

We saw the exact same sequence during the E3 presentation so there's nothing to spoil. Let me get this straight though:

1- The Vault salesman guy tried to contact you for days so you could fill some paperwork.

2- Then the bombs drop quite literally minutes after the man leaves.

3- You rush to the vault, apparently the salesman did the same and completed your paperwork so he could hand it over to the soldiers who then immediately let you in.
The salesman says that he was pre-selected because of his military service. He was just taking care of some paper work.

I do wish there was a bit more to the prewar stuff. But I'm a weirdo who enjoys games that take their time. It would be nice if there was at least some implication that time passed between the Vault Tec stuff and the bombs dropping, but whatever. Not a big deal.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This quote from the game informer stuff has made me more optimistic than anything else:

quote:

“We were working on Skyrim and went back to Fallout and said, ‘Wow, we were really into brown,’” Howard muses. “It was a stylistic choice based off of the question: What is the mood of our game? The world is already destroyed, but people in it don’t sit around thinking about what it was. They don’t know that world, but your character does. You’re coming into the world and are meeting people and this is their life. It would be like Superman coming to Earth and saying, ‘This sucks!’ and you would be like, ‘I don’t know. I thought it was fine until you got here.’ They’re going about their lives. They are building. They are growing. They are doing all of these things. Not having it be just visually depressing all of the time works with it.”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Interesting thing about the female protagonist. It seems like she's not definitively an old soldier like the male protagonist, but a lawyer.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 7, 2015

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm so excited for whatever dumb thing they did with Salem.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm really bothered that when you get paid in caps for that first minute men quest that there isn't an option to go, "Why did you just place a big bag of bottle caps in my hand?"

In general, I think that's what's really thrown me off the game. As much as they prescribe narrative to your character, you can't even really express that narrative too much. Like I get the reasons why they didn't do this... but it's just weird that the second John Fallout meets people he isn't just like "WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING?! HAVE YOU SEEN SHAUN?"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So...

I have a tendency to restart games. I get a handle for the controls and mechanics after playing for a few hours, and then I restart the game with a better grasp of things. The problem is my PS4 copy won't let me do so. Every time one of my new characters tries to leave the pod, his body gets stuck and he can't move. It's a game ruining bug in the first fifteen minutes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah this for sure. it's really disappointing running into enemies that haven't aggroed yet that look like they are in an interesting scenario, and it always just turns out they aren't shooting at me because they haven't seen me yet.
One thing that I liked about New Vegas was that the raiders seemed logical. The Powder Gangers and Jackals all have a rhyme and reason for occupying their respective spaces. And when you ran into raiders elsewhere, it made sense. You were either on some desolate road or going through a pass where you were easy pickings. And then you could get into some extreme combat situation on the outskirts of the map.

The key parts of civilization are allowed some room to breathe. Because that makes sense. I'm honestly a little bummed that there isn't more civilization around Diamond City. Something I really liked in Skyrim was that there was stuff immediately outside Whiterun because of course there would be. I feel like I'd prefer Boston to be mostly civilized with some Raider and Super Mutant strongholds rather than have the streets teeming with poo poo to kill me. And I know that there is an argument for that ultimately making the game more boring, but honestly the random battles in the street aren't as fun as stuff like the Trinity Building or the Assembly Plant which are straight up well designed shooting galleries.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Then the big complaint would be 'Why, in the middle of a civilized and organized city as large as Boston, do they tolerate an entire tower of Super Mutants/Factory full of raiders?'
I guess what I'm arguing is that I want Boston to feel unsafe, but not THAT unsafe. Like yes, you can totally turn down a wrong corner and found a den of drug addicted Raiders or find a Super Mutant strong hold or an infestation of fear ghouls. But the area shouldn't feel like a warzone. As it stands, it's kind of hard to imagine someone coming to and through which makes it hard to imagine why you would live in Diamond City anyway.

The stuff with the Fiends works because they feel like a nuisance. They're an issue for the NCR who struggles to get loving rid of them, but they're out of the way and don't stop life for the average person.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, the game is cool, but entering Goodneighbor is loving amazing. Watching the townsfolk gather around Hancock while he delivers an anti-Institute speech, Kellog's backstory stuff and the Parts in the NCR in particular, and the loving Vault-Tech salesman coming back. Like if the whole game was up to this quality in terms of world building, it would probably rival New Vegas for me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

I see them or Bethesda doing a game that's within 20 or 30 years of the bombs dropping over revisiting the NCR again with how built up it is. Or they might visit Van Buren's Rockies area.
Bethesda is pretty adamant about not doing that. New Vegas was originally intended to take place closer to the original Fallout in the timeline, but Bethesda wouldn't allow them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, are there any clear sequel hooks and hints that people ran into like the mentions of the Commonwealth in 3?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think my problem with Fallout 4 is that it really has no ethos. There is absolutely no sense of there being a guiding principal. It has the settlement building stuff but the very fact that they couldn't come up with some management menu shows how half-assed it is and it's not particularly deep. They have voice acting, but outside of the sarcasm options, it's rarely used particularly well. There are definite moments in which their word design shines, but the world is mostly crafted as a shooting gallery for the player to blow off heads. The quest design similarly is built around the game being a shooting gallery. And it's really only the combat that stands out as something that is earnestly good, fleshed out, and well-done.

There is good stuff in this game that recognizes their past success. Like Fallout 3, they can make amazing settings, They stole the well written companions from New Vegas.

But everything in Fallout 4 feels like a feature that either recognizes non-negotiables that people liked about their previous games, the need to somewhat modernize what their games look like, and incorporation of what they've seen in mods.

Some of it's good and some of it's bad, but none of it comes off with any sense of authorship or passion.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

homeless poster posted:

i think we played a different game. the only well written companion is dog because he has no cliched, hackneyed sob story that he tries to interject into the middle of everything you're doing until you sit down and listen to him bitch for several minutes. he is also physically the smallest companion object, so only 50% of my shots get accidentally blocked by his head in combat, as opposed to 99% of my shots being blasted directly into the back of every other companion's head.
I don't think they're great to be honest, but there is at least some care in them compared to Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

I just got the game a few days ago and... hm.

Is it okay that I think the Brotherhood of Steel are the worst? like, they're power armored republican terrorists. I don't get how I'm supposed to feel remotely okay with what they want to do. I even unintentionally joined them by sorta bumbling into the dialogues, but I'm at this point i really want to go full MD Geist here and nuke them into oblivion.
And speaking of that character:

I literally made as close to Geist as I possibly good. I named him Danger Geist so Codsworth could atleast say a name.
Really heavily considering making a power armor mod with the goofy football man armor from the OVA.
I just miss the Post-Apocalyptic Orthodox Jews in New Vegas.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gonkish posted:

This is still part of a best-case scenario. Even if Obsidian writes it, and someone like Arkane builds it... it will be better than Bethesda's writing and still play well.

The absolute best for these games would be Obsidian writing, and Bethesda making the world. Force Bethesda to actually have things in the game other than "and now you kill everyone" all the time.
New Vegas's writing was paired with their world design.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I started over, and I have to say running away is pretty fun. I'm playing as a lady sole survivor who I'm assuming had no real military service. So, I only fight when I'm cornered, standing up for others, or have to do so for a mission. Otherwise, I'm running away, and it's pretty dope. Bullets and grenades tickling your heels as you charge away from raiders only to fall into a ghoul infestation makes the game more scary.

Like so far, the only time I've seen a yao guai, I turned into an abandoned house and just saw it on the other side and bolted. It makes the thing seem much more scary and special.

EDIT: One thing I'm really confused by though is why there are Scorpions but no Ants. Ants are cooler and actually make sense for the area.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 4, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
New Vegas is definitely helped by the fact that there is a whole established West Coast lore to draw from. They have no trouble talking about other locations, and it makes them bold enough to talk about new places like Utah and Montana. it's weird how I have a pretty good vision of what the Fallout World looks like west of Texas, but I literally have no idea what's happening in places really close to DC and Boston. You do have to chalk things up to the West Coast just not really being able to get it's poo poo together.

I think my ideal vision of Fallout 4's world should be that the Commonwealth was actually pretty decent place to live with Boston proper being where most people lived. Then Fallout 3 happened, and the Brotherhood of Steel started shifting their weight in Middle-America because of the Lone Wanderer's actions. So, all those raiders and Super Mutants in the shithole that is middle America migrated North. So suddenly you have a bunch of drug addled Raiders and Super Mutants invading a pretty peaceful Boston. That's why there are these people trying to settle north of Boston for seemingly the first time. They're doing it because these are former Boston residents who weren't able to get into Diamond City and had to escape the rest of the city. Really have Diamond City hammer home more deeply that they're in this pretty hosed situation where they're safe, but also more cut-off then they used to be.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Some hardcore splinter Minutemen faction would be ripe for modding, like headed by a guy named Greston Parvey who couldn't give a poo poo if you saved the next settlement over from ghouls.
That's literally who the Gunners should be. Minutemen who started taking advantage of their position and eventually became indistinguishable from Raiders.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 6, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Backhand posted:

, a comparable radio (I.E. pretty bad)
The one thing I really liked about New Vegas radio is that Mr. New Vegas almost never talks about the player. He talks about stuff you do and doesn't really make a connection that it's the same person.

It really bothered me that Travis talks about the heroic Vault Dweller when my character hasn't even gone to Diamond City yet.

I think he also does more to sort of shape the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Why would Nightkin even be a thing in Boston? It's exactly the sort of thing people would be jerking themselves off to about how stupid Bethesda at ~lore~ if it had been vanilla.
Honestly, it's Fallout 4's fault for thinking there needed to be a new justification for there being Super Mutants in Boston. The Super Mutants literally should just be Mutants who migrated from the West Coast and DC Area like all of those non-native scorpions or deatclaws and iguanas.

• Locked thread