Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
So inbetween season 2 and 3 I became vegan.

Then I started season 3 and I was like 'HOLY poo poo this is just vegan propaganda'

And then apparently Brian Fuller is vegetarian.

So there's my hot take.

(it also disconcerts me that some people say the show makes them hungry when it is clearly trying to turn you OFF meat)

Also, yeah, best TV show I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

ufarn posted:

I don't find the meat parts to be turn-offs for me as a vegetarian. Quite the contrary - I mean, it's probably a lot healthier than the crappy meat most people are fed, especially in the US. No hormones and MRSA here, buddy!

Sorry, I meant vegetarians/vegans who do it for real reasons, not dumb gently caress health reasons. Also >implying human flesh is healthy.

You guys must be so blind to your own meat eating habits if the juxtaposition of man flesh and animal flesh whooshes right by your heads. There is literally a scene in season three where an arm is made into a wing, juxtaposed with Chiyoh preparing a fowl.

Quote time

quote:

Abel Gideon: Cannibalism was standard practice among our ancestors. The missing link is only missing because we ate him.
Hannibal Lecter: It's not cannibalism, Abel. It's only cannibalism if we are equals.

Talking about power over other beings. Veganism is about accepting animals as equals in terms of right to live. Hannibal eats people because he thinks he's better than them

quote:

Hannibal Lecter: Would you prefer I extend you the same kindness as the snails?
Abel Gideon: Eat me without my knowledge? No. I find knowledge to be much more powerful. Why do you think I'm allowing this?
Hannibal Lecter: Why do you think I'm allowing this?
Abel Gideon: 'Cause snails aren't the only creatures who prefer to eat with company... as long as that company is Will Graham. [tastes the escargot] I'm curious to know how you will feel when all this is happening to you.

Particular note that last sentence there, and then please apply it to your own meat eating.

quote:

Will Graham: God can't save any of us because it's... inelegant. Elegance is more important than suffering. That's his design.

Your elegant dinners are more important than the suffering of animals.

I could go on and on.

The stag and hunting motifs. Mason Verger referring to himself as the apex predator. Heck, Will has loving rescue dogs. The whole show is about animal welfare.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 30, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
That's what it appears, which is just another level of intelligence, as it actually wants you to reconsider the morally wrong act of eating animals.

And I never said anything about visceral, that imagery is only one part of the whole.

So which is it, wilful blindness or you are all psychopaths who want the chance to kill and eat a human?

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 30, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
But Hannibal thinks he's better than people, so he eats people. You just showed us that you think you are better than animals, so you eat them. That's the comparison here.

Now, when it comes to deciding whether you are better than a cow, that actually isn't the argument. The argument is whether it deserves to live, which is emphatically a yes. Therefore it doesn't matter if you are better or worse. What matters is that humans are the only creature (well, even that's debatable) that can choose. So we choose to act as less consciously aware beasts because of a superiority complex? The point of Hannibal is to show that there is no difference between the types of meat and it is all flesh ripped off the body of an otherwise living creature.

ufarn posted:

I think the real lesson is that cannibals are preferable to vegans.

Facetious remark #4

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
'Circle of life' my arsehole. We are so technologically and philosophically advanced that the circle of life is rendered meaningless. If a zebra escapes a lion, that's just lucky. loving cows, chicken, etc CANNOT escape and are indeed bred purely to be slaughtered and eaten. That is not natural (which is the argument you are using here, that it is somehow natural). A cow or whatever WANTS to live, just like us. By your definition we should just kill disabled people, leave babies on the streets like the Spartans and see who survives.

Now, I can almost guarantee you've not done any nutrition research and so therefore I ask why do you think our bodies work best with meat? Have you tried not eating meat? And I don't mean just eating bread and oreos, I mean eating a variety of food to get all the essential amino acids (which the animal protein only has because, guess what, they eat plants and grains). It is entirely a subconscious superiority complex, as discussed in Hannibal, and the only thing holding anyone back is an adherence to tradition.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Facetious remark #5

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

HIJK posted:

Freddie Lounds is a vegan/vegetarian on the show and while she's complex and three dimensional, she's also despicable and exploitive. Not a resounding endorsement of not eating animals if you want to go that route.

Ah this is fantastic, I had forgotten since she hasn't been in season 3 yet.

Added bonus: her role is to spread the truth, which is of course what all vegans do. Brilliant, Mr Fuller, absolutely brilliant.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
No problem! It is a brilliant show. I can't think of a single thing I dislike about it.

I didn't really want to derail the thread, but was just pointing out how clearly the vegan message is woven into an otherwise fantastic crime show. I derailed once some people's backs went up at the idea that maybe the show is anti-meat eating.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Proof that humanity should go extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

ufarn posted:

I think the vegetarian aspect of Hannibal is interesting insofar that it reminds me of how we only tend to rather serene experience of preparing meat in stark contrast to the process that goes into procuring it.

My man!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly, it's simpler than that. "Do the least harm you can to other moral actors."

Rules out hurting (and eating) pets, children, the disabled, very smart animals, and people in general. It's consistent, practical, and preserves most intuitive taboos. It even lets you be vegan if you want, for economic reasons like "there's not enough meat to go around and raising meat is less efficient use of land than raising crops."

e: It does, however, mean that you probably have to give Hannibal his books. Sorry, Chilton.

What do you mean 'moral actors'? How does that include pets? Why not eat vegetative humans? You're all over the place.

Also meat is sometimes a very efficient use of land and is far preferable to plants.

Also, poor people need animals for money/food. This of course plays into the class aspects of Hannibal, as everyone is very wealthy and opulent, tied to extravagant consumption of meat.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 1, 2016

• Locked thread