Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to post an image but you think it is too risqué to be embedded in your post, just link it and include a little note of some kind that it's not worksafe. You can type the letters "NWS" or use :nws: or even just say "warning naked butthole" or something. Spoiler tags are never the right option though, please either link it or just use [img] tags.

This applies to all forums, not just GBS. Thank you goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heh I didn't see that. I remember I had an angry-sounding sticky about it some time early last year, and it must have been when that happened. Anyway I'm not planning on punishing anyone for this, we've just noticed the habit creeping back in here and there, so nbd but I figured a polite sticky announcement for a couple days might help.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rando posted:

Get rid of the spoiler tags all together. 90% of the time they're used for dumb little zingers anyway.

yeah I don't think there are many compelling use cases for them (even including actual "spoilers" but that's a whole other topic). I think some posters just like them because they're a way to make the post interactive. Occasionally I also see them used I guess to try to "time" punchlines, but that can never work, it gives the reader total control of the timing instead.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

i agree w/ myself on this issue, because it's like a cry wolf situation since you never know wtf you're clicking which defeats the purpose of spoiler tags

am i clicking on some lovely nerd's dumb joke or an actual spoiler

This is actually a pretty good argument, but I don't believe in actual spoilers in the first place, so I don't really see it as a real problem. I think you're right that those threads/subforums that enforce spoiler tags should probably enforce false positives too for this reason. I suspect they usually do but I don't care enough to find out or to even type about this anymore

• Locked thread