Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to make some fancy curves, try a Pixel Circle Generator.

Pixel circles only work for sizes above a certain number of pixels, his is too small for that type of technique. Making a good-looking large ship at smallish sizes is not easy. There's a fair amount of pure trial and error. You have to try various block combos and then move back to look at the thing to see what looks good. Minimalist large ships are like a puzzle to make.

Also a good paint job is pretty key, where you have some natural lines that the paint can follow. That's what's "wrong" with those red & white stripes, they're not in synch with geometry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

That's incredible, how long did that take you!? Also, when you were designing it, did you make the hull first and then fill it with stuff, or work your way out from a skeleton of components?

I deliberately avoided putting a second reactor at the back because, well, you know.

Hull first, then filled it in. It's also actually about two or three different older ships of mine cobbled together into one :v:. If you want to go poke around in it, it's the first listing in the Goon Creations tab of the OP.

Klyith posted:

Pixel circles only work for sizes above a certain number of pixels, his is too small for that type of technique. Making a good-looking large ship at smallish sizes is not easy. There's a fair amount of pure trial and error. You have to try various block combos and then move back to look at the thing to see what looks good. Minimalist large ships are like a puzzle to make.

Sure, but it at least helps give somewhere to start if you're having trouble breaking away from just functional rectangles :shrug:.

edit: So, uh, I just learned something; Don't get greedy with Twin Grinders.

I decided to up the number of Twin Grinders in the dismantler, because I had a fair bit of debris left over floating about and tossed in the old version of one of my transports for testing.

Then it pitched a fit and did this.

It turns out debris flung by a wall of Twin Grinders can go very far, very fast.

That was all multiple layers of reinforced armor it went right through. Like 3 or 4 layers thick in places.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 9, 2015

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Sounds like an idea for a new gun :getin:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azuth0667 posted:

Sounds like an idea for a new gun :getin:.

You know what confuses me though?

This hole is towards the front of the ship, behind the Dismantler, and there is no damage between it and this hole.

It goes right through the entire loving ship :psyduck:. Granted, a lot of that is the empty barrels of the gravity cannons (and it actually destroyed the mounting point of one on its passage through), but still. I just...How?!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This hole is towards the front of the ship, behind the Dismantler, and there is no damage between it and this hole.

My guess is, it got launched at hundreds (thousands?) m/s, and in a single physics tick passed through most of your ship :v:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Maybe the projectiles follow the same rules electrons do and they can straight up pass through a wall for ~reasons~?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Truga posted:

My guess is, it got launched at hundreds (thousands?) m/s, and in a single physics tick passed through most of your ship :v:

This is what happened. Earlier in development the biggest guns were gravity cannons that shot rocks, which routinely did just that. The debris was going so fast that it passed through multiple blocks in a single physics tick, then realized, "woah, I'm inside a block, that's not right" and decided to collide with it from within, which does a good bit of damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Worked out what the hell caused it all at least. Turns out the Twin Grinder's "field" also expands the radius of the spinning saw effect, so poo poo inside the dismantler is getting tossed about at high speeds once it comes off the dismantled ship. :pseudo:.

Observe; the new safer version.

As it began tearing the ship to chunks (note that the grinders have also sent the freed forward section spinning), a bunch of tiny 1x1x1 blocks were loose and flying abou-

HIT THE DECK!

...Probably relatively safe if you slowly push a ship in with another at least :ohdear:.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Perhaps a set of landing gears / maglocks to help hold the thing to be shredded in place?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I wish they'd change it so you "swam" in zero gravity, so your body is behind your view rather than below it. It would make the infuriating collision meshes on doors much less annoying.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
I'm really hoping for a new thruster (or alternate functionality for current thrusters) that allow for a fast burst of speed, as opposed to a gradual velocity increase. It would really help for maneuvering. And launching missiles. I've seen a few potentially viable options on the Workshop, but they're mostly weapons made to work like thrusters so they don't respond to arrow key movement.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Couldn't you just add a bunch of extra thrusters and a battery back-up to power them, and turn them all on/off at the same time? It wouldn't exactly be an air-dash or anything, but it'd be faster.

Alternatively, add a gravity generator and a bunch of mass blocks, turn them all on to 'fall' through space.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Worked out what the hell caused it all at least. Turns out the Twin Grinder's "field" also expands the radius of the spinning saw effect, so poo poo inside the dismantler is getting tossed about at high speeds once it comes off the dismantled ship. :pseudo:.

Observe; the new safer version.

As it began tearing the ship to chunks (note that the grinders have also sent the freed forward section spinning), a bunch of tiny 1x1x1 blocks were loose and flying abou-

HIT THE DECK!

...Probably relatively safe if you slowly push a ship in with another at least :ohdear:.

I look forward to your new sitcom about a crew on a research space vessel and their failed experiments.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Shadowlz posted:

I look forward to your new sitcom about a crew on a research space vessel and their failed experiments.

Speaking of, what's the latest with those goons who were making SS13 in space engineers?

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Couldn't you just add a bunch of extra thrusters and a battery back-up to power them, and turn them all on/off at the same time? It wouldn't exactly be an air-dash or anything, but it'd be faster.

Alternatively, add a gravity generator and a bunch of mass blocks, turn them all on to 'fall' through space.
Adding more and more thrusters adds more bulk, which is really the opposite of the light-and-maneuverable fighter that I'm going for. I have made gravity drives before but it feels kinda cheat-y, and you can't place them on small ships regardless. Both of your solutions technically work, but I was mainly hoping for a specific implementation of it as its own block, or new vanilla thruster feature. Perhaps a new Module?

Splode posted:

Speaking of, what's the latest with those goons who were making SS13 in space engineers?
I'm also curious; I was really impressed with the work they put in on the station floorplan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadowlz posted:

Well for what it's worth, you can now go poke around the ship at least :v:

Have a new version of the Avalon Battleship.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

What's a good addon that adds multidirectional thrusters? I just think the base thrusters for large ships that are on the smaller side are way, way too big and unwieldy. They're also ugly as poo poo.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/6/10/8758915/true-artificial-intelligence-space-engineers

Sounds like SE will get some sort of semi-broken AI in a few months.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Medieval Engineers just got a new game mode, Castle Siege:

quote:

Summary
We are introducing the Castle Siege mode! This is the first work-in-progress version of a new mode that will grow and expand as the game does. The mode has been created to introduce a fast-paced proving ground for your castle designs. You can play as an attacker or defender and either defend your castle from opponents’ raids or lead the attack to capture the castle. The maximum number of players that can be in the game is 6 at the moment, but this will increase later in the future.

Quick Guide
Defenders
- defenders spawn next to their castle at the start of the siege and have to run inside the castle, close the gates behind them and secure the area.
- Goal: defend your King statue for the set amount of time (default 30 minutes) or destroy the attackers’ respawn points (beds)
- your statue loses components with every defender’s death (30 respawns will destroy even undamaged statue)
- Castle Siege Map: Defender can always use the official map. If you want your own, or to tweak the official one, click on new world, custom world, select battlemap castle (the last scenario as of now), load it in creative and make the changes you want. Each object will add to the point count of the map. You can look at the count by pressing “l” and then selecting the checkbox Show construction count.
Attackers
- Goal: destroy the defenders King statue in time and do not lose all your spawn points (beds)
- Siege equipment: Each attacker leader selects blueprints he wants available for the battle in the "Plan Attack" button. Every blueprint has a point value. Attacker can only select blueprints up to this maximum point value set for attackers by the server.
- after the battle starts, the attacker leader has a short amount of time to place all your blueprints; if you forget to place some in the time limit, you won't have another chance.
NOTE: every blueprint made after 02_020 will be usable in battles. If you want your older creations to be usable, just place them in a creative world, copy them to a clipboard, select their name on the blueprint screen and press replace with clipboard.

Medieval Engineers dev blog post: Castle siege, Survival, Clans: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/06/guest-post-by-ondrej-petrzilka-medieval.html
Castle Siege map creation guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=458121318

Please send us your feedback about gameplay additions, balance suggestions and anything else you may feel that can be added to make Castle Siege even more fun! Thank you for your help and support.

Features
- Castle Siege mode

Fixes
- fixed ropes synchronization on projectiles equipped from containers
- fixed switched impact sounds switch when wooden stairs were placed aside to the stone cube blocks
- fixed unbalanced strength of host
- improved mobility of an engineer
- fixed small grids with ropes exploding when you erase/add blocks
- fixed issue where clients were not able to push small grids (carts and trebuchets) as well as server

EDIT 06/10/2015:
Update 02.020.023
- fixed crash when loading blueprint
- generated blocks now does not cost siege points
- voxel volume change is now visible

Patch notes video explaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxDpN1-w80

Also, there's a new blog post with the outline for their plans for Medieval.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Medieval Engineers just got a new game mode, Castle Siege:

Patch notes video explaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxDpN1-w80

Also, there's a new blog post with the outline for their plans for Medieval.

This combined with the AI article makes it pretty obvious they are wanting to go the Stronghold/DF mixed with survival games route for ME, and that's really exciting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Firos posted:

What's a good addon that adds multidirectional thrusters? I just think the base thrusters for large ships that are on the smaller side are way, way too big and unwieldy. They're also ugly as poo poo.

Have you tried the Azimuth 1x1x1 thrusters?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Space Engineers thursday update: not much this week.

quote:

Features
- Space Race multiplayer scenario
- Scenario editor
- Option to disable Eye adaptation (graphics options)
- Option to disable spawn ships (map settings)

Fixes
- fixed Space Engineers not working on primary monitor on DX11
- fixed sounds cracking
- fixed weird shadows in MSAA
- fixed helmet lights not working on MSAA
- fixed weird shadows on DX 11
The scenario editor looks to be less exciting than it sounds, just better ways to have game settings tied to the scenario, basic conditions, and workshop support.

OTOH being able to turn off the weird DX11 "eye adaptation" is excellent. Do they know that eye adaptation is supposed to work the other way around?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd wager from this (if we're really lucky) that Planets might be somewhat imminent and this is a stop-gap to get them done.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If planets actually happen I could likely come back to this game since I could just live the simple life on the ground all day and not be motion sick anymore. :unsmith:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Does this mean we'll be able to reenact the historical document "The Core?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Better stock up on hotpockets in that case.

They help me concentrate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

My current goal is to work out how to kill a planet once they're added. Even if its some big laggy monstrosity that takes ages to achieve it, I just want to make it happen at the push of a button.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I suspect planets will not be made entirely out of voxel stuff, the performance impact stacks up too much. So you probably won't be able to drill / blow up an entire planet.

(I'd bet on a sphere that's an invulnerable surface, covered by a fairly shallow layer of voxel terrain.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klyith posted:

I suspect planets will not be made entirely out of voxel stuff, the performance impact stacks up too much. So you probably won't be able to drill / blow up an entire planet.

(I'd bet on a sphere that's an invulnerable surface, covered by a fairly shallow layer of voxel terrain.)

I wouldn't be surprised either. I'd still settle for glassing the surface down to the invulnerable layer though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised either. I'd still settle for glassing the surface down to the invulnerable layer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG4jSlY328c

Replace oil with ore, and pipeline with mining.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bitcoin bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG4jSlY328c

Replace oil with ore, and pipeline with mining.

:negative:
If they give us adequate tools to set up planetary-scale mining operations, it would be such a troubleshooting nightmare if somebody decided to just blow up a pipe somewhere. Can you imagine? For sufficiently long pipelines, we would need to build satellite imagery to find the hole.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

If they give us adequate tools to set up planetary-scale mining operations, it would be such a troubleshooting nightmare if somebody decided to just blow up a pipe somewhere. Can you imagine? For sufficiently long pipelines, we would need to build satellite imagery to find the hole.

Most of that's doable now. Might need the conveyor hinges for over-long pipes around the planet though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deadly_pudding posted:

I love the idea of being able to do insanely annoying poo poo like breaking the conveyor system in one really annoying spot and then also breaking any remote repair vehicles or whatever.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Why would you want to bother with a pipeline when you can have excitement of heavily armed convoys on autopilot while you fight off bands of marauders with turrets and support drones?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Izam posted:

Why would you want to bother with a pipeline when you can have excitement of heavily armed convoys on autopilot while you fight off bands of marauders with turrets and support drones?

Why would you bother mining a planet when you can shoot giant loving rocks at it from space?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Why would you bother mining a planet when you can shoot giant loving rocks at it from space?

Eventually you run out of spacerocks and need to gravity well a different planet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Adequate posted:

Why shoot rocks when you can shoot big-rear end explosive bullets? :v:

There's a trick to the explosive pallet items you can create, because unlike Warheads when you stack them together they actually create a much bigger bang instead of several slightly-adjacent ones of the same size and strength. The trick is getting them to actually go pop from either impact or explosion :eng101:.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
Steam Summer Sale began yesterday and thanks to that Space Engineers is on sale!
It's 35% off - offer ends 22 june.

Figured someone might want to know.

Link to steam store:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I typed up a long post but then I lost it, here's the condensed version of it:

I have the basic framework done for a Space Station 13 mod and would like to know if there is any interest in it so I can validate my (making?) of this mod. Its mostly a concept right now with just a few hundred lines of code stapled on and I just need to know if it sounds like a good idea before I move beyond coding and start doing assets, the details, etc. Also I don't want to end up like Flower child or Greg or whatever the autistic modder of the day is, how do I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Buttmeister posted:

I typed up a long post but then I lost it, here's the condensed version of it:

I have the basic framework done for a Space Station 13 mod and would like to know if there is any interest in it so I can validate my (making?) of this mod. Its mostly a concept right now with just a few hundred lines of code stapled on and I just need to know if it sounds like a good idea before I move beyond coding and start doing assets, the details, etc. Also I don't want to end up like Flower child or Greg or whatever the autistic modder of the day is, how do I do that?

Chiming in to say that while I have SE and have 0 interest in actually playing survival (I think it's a massive timesink and I value my time more than that) I would 100% start playing SE again if there was a good SS13 mod. Do it.

• Locked thread