Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I've been cruising about in a single player game using a custom star system and a bunch of encounter mods. I've been running from drone attacks since I spawned, scavaging what I can and retrofitting the yellow rescue in flight. It's been fun, if a bit tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Trust noone, not even yourself.

Are MP servers better than they were a year or two ago? What population is the server you play on?

It's rather stable, the server has a concurrent cap of 10, but I've noticed more players than that cycling on and off.

I intend to build suicideneils Homeworld 2 Carrier (workshop blueprint) as a mobile base and assault ship printer, so the pvp if i can find any should be cool and good, and lacking a fixed base hopefully extremely risk free for me.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

PvP in creative sandbox games is like shards of glass in your rear end in a top hat. Personally, not my cup of tea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Do you guys think 500,000-600,000kg is enough of a vertical-lifting capability for a heavy VTOL?

Sorus posted:

I've been cruising about in a single player game using a custom star system and a bunch of encounter mods. I've been running from drone attacks since I spawned, scavaging what I can and retrofitting the yellow rescue in flight. It's been fun, if a bit tense.

Now, you say that, yet there aren't any pictures of your sweet retrofitted ride in your post :colbert:.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now, you say that, yet there aren't any pictures of your sweet retrofitted ride in your post :colbert:.

It's just a modified version of Mineraleater's Mining Frigate.

It's usually the first thing I build when I have to keep mobile and I'm not sure where I want to establish myself. It's easy to build off of the yellow rescue boat, though it gets a little nerve wracking when you have to sever the thrust pack on the rescue to build this one out and things have been chasing you off and on. Plan is to find a nice asteroid somewhere, merge the ship to the asteroid and convert it to a station.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

PvP in creative sandbox games is like shards of glass in your rear end in a top hat. Personally, not my cup of tea.

I like it if it is done arena style. Build a ship to certain specs (X amount of weapons, etc) and then meet at a designated place to fight. Winner gets salvage rights. But unrestricted PvP I'm not a huge fan of, especially because people are vulnerable while logged off.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 5, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to convince people to front up for some fight action, but no joy yet. I know some folks are holed up on the alien planet, so I'm going to try to build a ground vehicle printer into my all-planets landing frigate so i can hit the deck and keep driving out in disposable attack things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sorus posted:

It's just a modified version of Mineraleater's Mining Frigate.

It's usually the first thing I build when I have to keep mobile and I'm not sure where I want to establish myself. It's easy to build off of the yellow rescue boat, though it gets a little nerve wracking when you have to sever the thrust pack on the rescue to build this one out and things have been chasing you off and on. Plan is to find a nice asteroid somewhere, merge the ship to the asteroid and convert it to a station.

I like it if it is done arena style. Build a ship to certain specs (X amount of weapons, etc) and then meet at a designated place to fight. Winner gets salvage rights. But unrestricted PvP I'm not a huge fan of, especially because people are vulnerable while logged off.

That's a pretty cool little mining frigate :allears:.

If you want a subcraft with a bit more utility to it beyond mining, I've got a couple of general-use fully-vanilla modular workpods specifically designed for small motherships with limited subcraft space that might interest you. The only caveat is they're built for belly-mounted connectors rather than rear ones. All you have to do to equip them is activate the Projector with the tool/frame you want and weld away. Then recycle/store them afterwards and weld on the next.

The Eagle Type-V(anilla) is a simple little pod with blueprint expansions for atmospheric flight, heavy hydrogen rocket pods, and the general range of tool mounts (mining, welding, grinding, shooting). It only has two Medium Containers, but one of the blueprints is for a big rack of cargo containers if you're building/scrapping something big.

The Tarantula is a little chunkier and more expensive, components-wise, but it's an all-in-one Multipod that can work in atmosphere or space off its stock build. It can even use its Hydrogen thrusters to break atmosphere and reach space, if you don't abuse the fuel reserves too much. Except in Luna-type moons, as it turns out, where it doesn't have enough vertical thrust to keep aloft on hydrogen thrusters alone :gibs:. It's got four internal Medium Containers, plenty of vertical heft on Atmospheric Thrusters, and separately-interchangeable tool hands off its blueprints.

McGiggins posted:

I've been trying to convince people to front up for some fight action, but no joy yet. I know some folks are holed up on the alien planet, so I'm going to try to build a ground vehicle printer into my all-planets landing frigate so i can hit the deck and keep driving out in disposable attack things.

What you need is a basic recon probe; Laser antenna, atmospheric thrusters, camera. That way you can keep your ship high in the atmosphere and go poking for them in complete safety without broadcasting your probe and ship's location everywhere.

Then bring your mothership down and lay siege to them :black101:.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yo goons, I last played this game right around 4 years ago. Back then, there wasn't much in the way of gameplay, and the netcode was lovely, and resulted in ships that were very jittery, where players clipping right through a ship was a common thing. How's the multiplayer experience gone since then? I'm hoping it's improved a bit? I'm kinda getting the itch to try this game out again, but if the multiplayer is still crap, then that'll sour things for sure.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

neogeo0823 posted:

Yo goons, I last played this game right around 4 years ago. Back then, there wasn't much in the way of gameplay, and the netcode was lovely, and resulted in ships that were very jittery, where players clipping right through a ship was a common thing. How's the multiplayer experience gone since then? I'm hoping it's improved a bit? I'm kinda getting the itch to try this game out again, but if the multiplayer is still crap, then that'll sour things for sure.

The net code is much better now. Most of the jitter issues and rubber banding has been fixed, though low sim speed is still a major issue with most servers when more than a few players are on at once or big collisions happen.

It's way more playable now that in it was and there's supposed to be another big update soon (maybe it already happened? Haven't played in a couple weeks) with more optimizations I believe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They made mention of a public beta for their new improved multiplayer code coming SoonTM. There's a brief video of it in the Steam community hub.

Frankly I just hope they get around to fixing stuff like the missile knockback.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RandomBlue posted:

The net code is much better now. Most of the jitter issues and rubber banding has been fixed, though low sim speed is still a major issue with most servers when more than a few players are on at once or big collisions happen.

It's way more playable now that in it was and there's supposed to be another big update soon (maybe it already happened? Haven't played in a couple weeks) with more optimizations I believe.

Hmm. Are there any goons that still play regularly? I'd be interested in joining up with them to re-learn the ropes and start designing neat ships again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a public multiplayer beta over the next two days for those so inclined;

quote:

Hello, Engineers!
We plan to run a public test of new multiplayer improvements from Thursday, May 31 at 11AM to Friday, June 1, 5PM (GMT +2). Keen Software House admins will be managing the test for the whole period and we'd like to get your feedback about the "work in progress" version of the game. The upcoming version focuses on a number of Space Engineers multiplayer improvements, so we hope you'll enjoy it and that you'll provide us valuable feedback before the actual release.

We are aware of some unfinished things and bugs in this version. We are going to fix them right away, but we didn’t want to postpone this public multiplayer test any longer. For providing feedback, a questionnaire will open up after closing the game.

We plan to run these multiplayer tests until we are fully satisfied with the results.

Steam branch: mptest
Password: nt7WuDw9kdvB
How to change branches: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Beta_Releases

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Going to have to look at this when I get home from work.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

neogeo0823 posted:

Hmm. Are there any goons that still play regularly? I'd be interested in joining up with them to re-learn the ropes and start designing neat ships again.

I'm definitely interested if a decent highpop server can be found that isnt gone forever within the week.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Hydro Survival has been around for years (144.217.11.143:27010) and the population averages around 10 at peak times, which is high for SE. They reboot the server every 6 hours to help with performance issues and only hydrogen thrusters are allowed though they've got a tiered thrusters mod installed. They've got a bunch of other mods as well, mostly additional superficial blocks for more building variety.

However, because it's been around so long, there are quite a few people with 40K+ block ships and structures so it can have simspeed issues during peak times.

I think reset times are generally 4PM, 10PM, 4AM, 10AM central time. That's relevant because their space start is in a damaged ship and you're gonna need at least a couple of hours to repair it or tear it down to build a starter base on a nearby asteroid as it disappears when you log out or the server restarts.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wonder if that bug is still around where you can make a server unusable just by settings some assemblers to repeat build unstackable item and forgetting to turn it off. Like guns for instance. They don't weigh much so you can crank out hundreds if not thousands to fill a few large (large grid) storage containers since there is/was no limit on the number of items they could contain, just weight. Then whenever someone gets close the game transmits the entire contents of all inventories and that kills the server.

I reported it a couple of years ago when I did that on accident but never got a response from Keen.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

RandomBlue posted:

That's relevant because their space start is in a damaged ship and you're gonna need at least a couple of hours to repair it or tear it down to build a starter base on a nearby asteroid as it disappears when you log out or the server restarts.

Not necessarily. The last time I tried a start on that server before I quit playing SE for 6 months or w/e, I managed to place a merge block (converted to station) in the path of the drifting ship such that it merged and became a permanent grid, without doing any repair work. Took a few tries before it worked, though.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm refitting a Hiigaran Carrier I found on the workshop to be more Carrier and less Transport. Hopefully I'll remember to blueprint it and save it to my workshop before I log off.

If new mp netcode is good, are folks wanting to go hogmad on a high pop server?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I've been working on a little project on-and-off. Another carrier, in fact. But not a battlecarrier.

A Racing Carrier.

All it has to do is set up shop in orbit, in the air or on the ground, and you've got the start of a racecourse for up to eight vehicles.

Once things are underway, the carrier can ditch the start/finish line and hover over the race for better spectating. The blue strips on the engines cover rows of Welders for a mid-race repair strip.

And of course I've built something to race with too.

Go! :peanut:

It does seem to be missing something compared to my usual subcraft though, doesn't it?...

Or does it?... :thunk:

The Hornet is a core cockpit with blueprint-stored frames for all conditions. The idea being you can prepare them before-hand and swap between them mid-race, All-Stars Racing: Transformed-style. So long as you don't burn all of its fuel for boosts, of course.

I also made remote-controlled checkpoint drones to mark your course out with.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I also made remote-controlled checkpoint drones to mark your course out with.

Are you using a projected blueprint as a holographic checkpoint thing? Neat.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Wanting to jump back in. What're some good mods?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There's a pretty good one called container level or something, adds a visual display to the hull of containers to show how full they are.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

McGiggins posted:

I'm refitting a Hiigaran Carrier I found on the workshop to be more Carrier and less Transport. Hopefully I'll remember to blueprint it and save it to my workshop before I log off.

If new mp netcode is good, are folks wanting to go hogmad on a high pop server?

Would love to get some shenanigans going. I miss gooning it up in SE. Fell out of touch with most of you guys.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Bitch I'm still steam friends with aptaa host account.

I'm gonna try and get some more work on this carrier done tomorrow.

I've got it laid out so it's a full survival ready vanilla ship. It fits 4 or 5 very big small grid bombers on a single launchbay rail that extends half the length of the ship, 3 or 4 very big small grid corvette gunships from the side frigate bay that can all launch at the same time, two reusable probes in the top bay, and a hollow middle section for utility, miners and other craft, and the mobile cargorefineries attach beneath. Everything is full hydrogen, but the carrier itself is ion for everything but rear thrust.

The rationale behind the reformatted design is that the carrier acts as a lightly defended jump capable mobile station that is always in Large Ship grid mode. Jump in a few ks away from the target, everyone jumps into their disposable bomber/fighter/corvette craft of choice, die gloriously, easily and instantly reprint everything lost. For ease of micromanagement, refineries, assemblersand other system stuff will be managed by the friendly carrier AI, TIM. All craft are remote controllable and also directly pilot-able. Basically Combat Goonrush.

The bombers (directfire) and corvettes (turrets) are all heavy armour, should be easily piston-printed, and I'm looking into wedging a single full large grid frigate into the port bay. (Might move the corvettes elsewhere or into the middle bay of need be, the utility stuff could all be attached underneath via the mobile refinery.)

If I throw up a workshop blueprint/creative server at about Thursday 7th 11am AEST, would anyone be willing to take a look and make some recommendations? I've had some serious problems with making decent lighting that doesnt also tank fps in such a large structure, as well as figuring out how to cram in all the features I want. Still gotta design and find a place for the fixed gun-platforms storage and printer.

I have zero expectations of these designs actually being used in any group play, but it's been fun to try to design a carrier in several constraints:

Designed as a carrier for groupplay

Designed to be a most-in-one mobile base that serves all its needs and still can be used without ruining a server.

And lastly: follows a kickass design theme for both baseship and subcraft AND fulfills all the capabilities of the source ship design.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 6, 2018

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

McGiggins posted:

Bitch I'm still steam friends with aptaa host account.

I'm gonna try and get some more work on this carrier done tomorrow.

I've got it laid out so it's a full survival ready vanilla ship. It fits 4 or 5 very big small grid bombers on a single launchbay rail that extends half the length of the ship, 3 or 4 very big small grid corvette gunships from the side frigate bay that can all launch at the same time, two reusable probes in the top bay, and a hollow middle section for utility, miners and other craft, and the mobile cargorefineries attach beneath. Everything is full hydrogen, but the carrier itself is ion for everything but rear thrust.

The rationale behind the reformatted design is that the carrier acts as a lightly defended jump capable mobile station that is always in Large Ship grid mode. Jump in a few ks away from the target, everyone jumps into their disposable bomber/fighter/corvette craft of choice, die gloriously, easily and instantly reprint everything lost. For ease of micromanagement, refineries, assemblersand other system stuff will be managed by the friendly carrier AI, TIM. All craft are remote controllable and also directly pilot-able. Basically Combat Goonrush.

The bombers (directfire) and corvettes (turrets) are all heavy armour, should be easily piston-printed, and I'm looking into wedging a single full large grid frigate into the port bay. (Might move the corvettes elsewhere or into the middle bay of need be, the utility stuff could all be attached underneath via the mobile refinery.)

If I throw up a workshop blueprint/creative server at about Thursday 7th 11am AEST, would anyone be willing to take a look and make some recommendations? I've had some serious problems with making decent lighting that doesnt also tank fps in such a large structure, as well as figuring out how to cram in all the features I want. Still gotta design and find a place for the fixed gun-platforms storage and printer.

I have zero expectations of these designs actually being used in any group play, but it's been fun to try to design a carrier in several constraints:

Designed as a carrier for groupplay

Designed to be a most-in-one mobile base that serves all its needs and still can be used without ruining a server.

And lastly: follows a kickass design theme for both baseship and subcraft AND fulfills all the capabilities of the source ship design.

sent you a steam friend request from my main account, accept plz

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Done.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If pistons still cause clang you might want to look into Nanobots Build and Repair for automatic printing and welding.

Also be warned that inventory management scripts like TIM and ISY can lag out multiplayer games when they start processing more than a handful of large cargo containers and 3-4 refineries or assemblers. A quick fix is to set the update frequency for the script to around 300 seconds or slower. If it's more often then when they get confused and start shuffling items back and forth between containers each time the script runs it can tank simspeed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Had to rebuild my racing carrier's engine pods as they just weren't coping once it actually had its interior filled out.

They also look a lot less poo poo, even if they don't have the repair strips anymore. The prongs hanging off the front and back are to give it a bit of external docking for more of a cruise/party boat vibe. The green pads on top, incidentally, are for small subcraft for a general private/VIP guest look.

The docking arms also mount my vanilla shuttles.

The interior's mostly open just to save effort and continue the general cruise-liner/party boat look. The column at the center's a half-assed effort to give it something of a central chandelier, with lights flickering on/off in different colours along its length.

And a general test of the starting block. The upper light row retracts, so anything flying through at the end of a race won't potentially smash into it. And it looks cool. There's also barriers in place to stop anyone going early.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've taken Tim's overhead into account. It only ever needs to run once every minute at absolute most (assuming battle conditions to make more ammo) and I usually leave it on 2-3 minutes to tick the refineries into the right balance needed for the assemblers.

People running it every second are crazy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Had to rebuild my racing carrier's engine pods as they just weren't coping once it actually had its interior filled out.

They also look a lot less poo poo, even if they don't have the repair strips anymore. The prongs hanging off the front and back are to give it a bit of external docking for more of a cruise/party boat vibe. The green pads on top, incidentally, are for small subcraft for a general private/VIP guest look.

These are great design choices, all except for, checkerboard? Seriously?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

zennik posted:

Would love to get some shenanigans going. I miss gooning it up in SE. Fell out of touch with most of you guys.

Hey, I remember playing with you waaaay back when on this game. We had a couple other goons, and I recall one of them building a giant goatse ship that we flew some ships right through, and then whoever built the thing got out to take screenshots of the damage, and didn't realize the ship was spiraling off into the void forever. Good times.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

To be fair, it is literally made to be a finish line.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hahah, there were several goatse ships. I made one with some goons, a giant pink one with dong fighters to dock in it, and I'm pretty sure another goon made a better one with moving hands.

Edit: or was mine a giant mobile middle finger fist? Cant remember

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McGiggins posted:

Hahah, there were several goatse ships. I made one with some goons, a giant pink one with dong fighters to dock in it, and I'm pretty sure another goon made a better one with moving hands.

Edit: or was mine a giant mobile middle finger fist? Cant remember

I remember this was back when I last played, so before planets. I think it was red, pink, and blue, with a gold ring. Nothing special, just a half a hull at the time. I really wish I still had the pic, but I know we posted about it in the previous thread, whatever happened to that. I don't have archives to go looking.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

I remember this was back when I last played, so before planets. I think it was red, pink, and blue, with a gold ring. Nothing special, just a half a hull at the time. I really wish I still had the pic, but I know we posted about it in the previous thread, whatever happened to that. I don't have archives to go looking.

I still remember the first server. Running on my damned media PC in my living room, on a second copy of SE because there wasnt a dedicated server yet.

In fact, I STILL have that very first world file.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
See if it loads :getin:

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Anyone interested in reviving a goon SE server and/or pillaging pubbie servers should all meet up on discord:

https://discord.gg/fA5YFns

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in like sin, matey.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

APTAA Server is up. Mods and various crap is still up for discussion/modification.

Server IP: 66.225.198.228:28015

Hosted out of Chicago.

Once we've ironed out exactly how we want this setup, i'll draft up an official post for PGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I wanted it to look just a little ostentatious, rather than an elegant :wotwot: day-at-the-races kinda venue. The kind of event that has colour commentary blaring on loudspeakers across half the planet and cheering for brutal crashes.

It's also why the Hornet's frames are all armed with two rocket launchers; Everyone has eight shots to try and upset the lead. Better make'em count...

• Locked thread