Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not a computer man so I could be way off base, but wouldn't consolidating ship systems into single objects improve performance by a good bit? Like, say you have a layer of heavy armour on the outside of your whatever-it-is, count that as a single entity instead of a collection of blocks and model damage to that. Or you have some kind of refinery/assembly/printer system, and instead of all the conveyors & stuff being individually 'there', just let the game figure out what it does and turn it into a single object.

This is just based off piss-poor understanding of the game in general, but I've been reading about jpeg compression & it got me thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

I'm not a computer man so I could be way off base, but wouldn't consolidating ship systems into single objects improve performance by a good bit? Like, say you have a layer of heavy armour on the outside of your whatever-it-is, count that as a single entity instead of a collection of blocks and model damage to that. Or you have some kind of refinery/assembly/printer system, and instead of all the conveyors & stuff being individually 'there', just let the game figure out what it does and turn it into a single object.

This is just based off piss-poor understanding of the game in general, but I've been reading about jpeg compression & it got me thinking.

Nah, just having to render all those blocks will eat the CPU anyway. On another topic, turns out there's a fun bug with this week's build - anything constructed with a Projector blueprint will start off with all its blocks turned Off :sigh:.

Also my fighter has a few new modules :v:.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, just having to render all those blocks will eat the CPU anyway. On another topic, turns out there's a fun bug with this week's build - anything constructed with a Projector blueprint will start off with all its blocks turned Off :sigh:.

Also my fighter has a few new modules :v:.

Ooh. What mod are those gatling guns from? Much prefer them to the stock model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

Ooh. What mod are those gatling guns from? Much prefer them to the stock model.

The nose ones with the angled base are the Azimuth ones (they're in the Azimuth Mega Mod, which is in the OP). The Big pod-mounted ones are FancyFez's ISM Grendel. Though I recommend his ISM Mega Mod instead, as it has a bunch of great weapons. Those Hellfire Missile Launchers :allears:.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I've been playing (space engineers) for a few hours and got totally nowhere, are there any decent guides or tutorials anyone recommends?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StabMasterArson posted:

I've been playing (space engineers) for a few hours and got totally nowhere, are there any decent guides or tutorials anyone recommends?

What're you stuck on?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm having trouble finding out exactly what the upgrade modules do to refineries and assemblers.

Am I reading it right that a refinery/assembler with all 4 productivity modules will refine at 3x its normal rate?
Or with 4 effectiveness modules a refinery will produce 40% more ingots for the same ore input?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 23, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GotLag posted:

I'm having trouble finding out exactly what the upgrade modules do to refineries and assemblers.

Am I reading it right that a refinery/assembler with all 4 productivity modules will refine at 3x its normal rate?
Or with 4 effectiveness modules a refinery will produce 40% more ingots for the same ore input?
Productivity = speed increase, flat bonus per module
Effectiveness = more output per cycle, multiplicative bonus
Efficiency = less power use, multiplicative bonus

All 4 slots filled with productivity will display as a 500% productivity on the info panel (so the refinery is supposedly 5x faster than with no upgrades). However the actual result is a bit different, because the production blocks don't actually multiply from the base speed of the production block, they add to it. And the default base speed is actually 1.3 rather than 1, so a refinery with 4 productivity upgrades is actually (1.3 + 4) / 1.3 = 4.07 times faster than a default "realistic speed" refinery.

Effectiveness and efficiency don't have that gotcha, what you see on the info panel is what you get. But they have stacking bonuses as you add more -- one effectiveness module is a 19% boost but 4 is 100% (is produces twice the ingots per unit of ore).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Effectiveness modules on assemblers means that it consumes less ore per component assembled, right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HardDisk posted:

Effectiveness modules on assemblers means that it consumes less ore per component assembled, right?
Effectiveness doesn't work on assemblers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

D'oh

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
The latest "Deathmatch" scenario tools actually got me really interested in the FPS possibilities of Space Engineers. A space shooter with 3D movement isn't a new concept by any means, but a space shooter with 3D movement, fully destructible environments, voxel-based building, vehicles, drones, and full mod support seems pretty awesome.

I wish Keen would add more robust weapon functionality to include reloading, multiple projectiles (shotguns), etc.
That and update the HUD to show ammo count.

E: I know if I brought this up on the official forums people would sperg out about how SE isn't an FPS and that's not the point of the game, but as far I'm concerned playing it as a shooter is just another thing to do while waiting for AI to be implemented enough to make survival mode actually engaging.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 24, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Why does it seem so difficult to hit any object in Medieval Engineers?

Trying to build and destroy things like carts is really finicky. Seems like instead of just hitting whatever you clicked your character goes through a swinging animation, and at some point in that it decides what you will be hitting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anyone's playing around with my Avalon battleship, I just updated it a little. Nothing major to do with the ship itself, just replaced the Battlestar Viper in the manufacturing cell blueprints with my finished Modular Starfighter.

The funny thing is I actually sat for too drat long thinking it looked too narrow with just the pods before remembering I'd made basic wings for it as well (I figured minimal extra mass + extra ventral thrusters should help against planet gravity at least :pseudo:) and slapped them on all the side-pods as extra decoration and thrusters.

SexyCommando posted:

The latest "Deathmatch" scenario tools actually got me really interested in the FPS possibilities of Space Engineers. A space shooter with 3D movement isn't a new concept by any means, but a space shooter with 3D movement, fully destructible environments, voxel-based building, vehicles, drones, and full mod support seems pretty awesome.

I wish Keen would add more robust weapon functionality to include reloading, multiple projectiles (shotguns), etc.
That and update the HUD to show ammo count.

E: I know if I brought this up on the official forums people would sperg out about how SE isn't an FPS and that's not the point of the game, but as far I'm concerned playing it as a shooter is just another thing to do while waiting for AI to be implemented enough to make survival mode actually engaging.

At the very least you can see your remaining ammo on the Hotbar, but I get what you mean. Have you tried Sektan's S Gun pack for more handheld weapons?

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the very least you can see your remaining ammo on the Hotbar, but I get what you mean. Have you tried Sektan's S Gun pack for more handheld weapons?
Yeah some of those are cool, but the main issue is the lack of mod support for other types of weapons/guns; even the sniper rifle and shotgun are just assault rifles with a longer delay between shots. Also, none of the gun packs I've seen really interest me, Sektan's is kind of a mish-mosh of a bunch of different guns from other games. I've been working on trying to put together a few guns that are similar in design to each other, and fit the look of Space Engineers stylistically. The trouble is my background is in solid-modeling CAD, not wireframe, and blender is giving me a headache.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Iiiiit's that time of the week again.

Update 1.088 posted:

Summary
The option to set the transparency of your UI has been added (under “Game” tab in “Options” menu). We’ve also added the option to set sun rotation (in world settings). The minimum value is 1 minute and the maximum is 24 hours. Additionally, we’ve implemented the voxel support for grids. When the option is enabled, any static grid which isn't attached to a voxel will become dynamic. Another implemented option is to disable the jet-pack usage in the world, so the player will not have a jet-pack at all. Also players can choose not to have tools in their inventory when they spawn in the world. All options are listed under “world” settings and are applicable for both scenarios and classic worlds. Lastly, projected blueprints can now inherit ownership from the projector itself. Corresponding check-box has to be checked for this feature to work. This feature is available only for the scenario edit mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZEX391ll8

Features
- UI transparency (community feature by mexmer)
- world option: sun rotation
- world option: voxel support for grid
- world option: disable jetpack
- world option: spawning without tools
- projected blueprint can now inherit ownership from projector

Fixes
- fixed issue with invite via Steam
- fixed welders causing lags (still WIP) (community fix: yajiedesign) (:worship:)
- fixed crash in Havok
- fixed crash when changing hostility settings
- fixed welder model
- fixed issue with projector turning welded blocks off
- fixed issues with multiple mods upgrading the same value
- fixed oxygen generator auto-refill synchronization (community fix: mexmer)
- fixed welder help others synchronization (community fix: mexmer)
- fixed warhead projection explosion

Looks like we're starting to get the first solid parts of the Planet update ahead of it (sun rotation and voxels on station grids). Soon... Soon... :peanut:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No jet packs as an option means the SS13 mod just got a whole lot easier, too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Poison Mushroom posted:

No jet packs as an option means the SS13 mod just got a whole lot easier, too.

Added hilarity when someone turns off the station gravity and everyone is stuck floating unable to move.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I'm actually going to put the SS13 mod on hold for a bit until this "Ion" thing Dean Hall is revealed in a little bit more detail. Yes, I understand this is the man that made DayZ and Ion probably won't be that good, but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being and see if this is just going to be a big budget, easier to play thing than what I am (kind of) making. Right now I am at the point where I can say "abandon ship" and not really use much as I am just recycling in-game assets and there are MAYBE a thousand lines of code added to the base game (I'm working off the source code, which is another issue: how the hell am I going to distribute this? Dumb move on my end, but if all else fails I can just make an installer maybe I guess that permanently modifies in game files??).

tl;dr project is on hold until ion inevitably turns out poo poo

edit: plus I really didn't think this through. the whole "HEY GUYS IM MAKING A MOD FOR A GAME WITH WEEKLY UPDATES" was kinda rushed on my end. And now that I think about it some more I am going to make this thing no matter what, I kinda just want to see what Ion does and steal all their ideas :eng101:

weak wrists big dick fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 25, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Buttmeister posted:

I'm actually going to put the SS13 mod on hold for a bit until this "Ion" thing Dean Hall is revealed in a little bit more detail. Yes, I understand this is the man that made DayZ and Ion probably won't be that good, but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being and see if this is just going to be a big budget, easier to play thing than what I am (kind of) making. Right now I am at the point where I can say "abandon ship" and not really use much as I am just recycling in-game assets and there are MAYBE a thousand lines of code added to the base game (I'm working off the source code, which is another issue: how the hell am I going to distribute this? Dumb move on my end, but if all else fails I can just make an installer maybe I guess that permanently modifies in game files??).

edit: plus I really didn't think this through. the whole "HEY GUYS IM MAKING A MOD FOR A GAME WITH WEEKLY UPDATES" was kinda rushed on my end. And now that I think about it some more I am going to make this thing no matter what, I kinda just want to see what Ion does and steal all their ideas :eng101:
Good artists borrow. Great artist steal.

And legendary artists steal, then refine.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 25, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The station/voxel interaction justifies the construction method I've always been using for large ships: build them attached to a scaffold embedded in an asteroid, then convert to a ship. Now I won't need the last step, just build them then cut off the sprue.

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iiiiit's that time of the week again.

Update 1.088 posted:

(...)
- world option: sun rotation
(...)
Looks like we're starting to get the first solid parts of the Planet update ahead of it (sun rotation and voxels on station grids). Soon... Soon... :peanut:

Thankfully it looks like this update is not getting by without taking its proper dose of criticism.

An actual person on the official forums posted:

ok i just do not get this why dose the sun rotate around space how dose it rotate around space why is no one else speaking up about this this is so unlogical it is driving me nuts and i don't know why if you are on a planet the sun would rotate to simulate the planet rotating but in space the sun dose not orbit like that not unless we are in the center of a galaxy but if we were ware is the black hole crating the gravity well the sun needs to be locked to one point in space space should rotate around the sun the way thy have it is just nuts dose not make scenes and makes me question how much thy know about space

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SexyCommando posted:

Thankfully it looks like this update is not getting by without taking its proper dose of criticism.

I knew there had to be at least one that'd throw that shitfit. Honestly though if you want to justify it, it's not that hard to take it with a grain of salt that you and the asteroids are the ones moving around the Sun.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The illiterate speak makes it 100x better.

hay guse wft with thsi bullsht every1 kno planet go around sun LEERN SUM SCIENS

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Except the appearance of the sun moving is due to the earth spinning, not to it orbiting around the sun. So it makes no sense for the sun to move when you're floating in an asteroid belt. I mean, it's no huge issue in a game that (so far) makes about as much physical sense as Minecraft, but he's not wrong.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Moddington posted:

Except the appearance of the sun moving is due to the earth spinning, not to it orbiting around the sun. So it makes no sense for the sun to move when you're floating in an asteroid belt. I mean, it's no huge issue in a game that (so far) makes about as much physical sense as Minecraft, but he's not wrong.

It's something you can toggle in the server settings, right? It's not like we have to worry about the climatological effects of a planet with permanent light and dark sides.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moddington posted:

he's not wrong

This describes a lot of the sperg that comes up in their official forums. Not wrong, but also not fun.

A revolving sun (does the entire skybox rotate?) is interesting, sun-tracking solar panels will be a cool thing to make. I wonder if the meteors also follow the sun with their origin point? That'd be a crazy thing to deal with.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Klyith posted:

This describes a lot of the sperg that comes up in their official forums. Not wrong, but also not fun.

A revolving sun (does the entire skybox rotate?) is interesting, sun-tracking solar panels will be a cool thing to make. I wonder if the meteors also follow the sun with their origin point? That'd be a crazy thing to deal with.

I had forgotten about the meteor showers thing because I always turn them off! With a rotating sun, especially if it's at a rate such that the meteors come from different sides every time, that could actually be a really interesting survival challenge.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Klyith posted:

does the entire skybox rotate?

Nope, the sun moves across a static starfield, which is probably what makes so many people pick at it. If the entire skybox rotated it'd look a whole lot more believable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Icedude posted:

Nope, the sun moves across a static starfield, which is probably what makes so many people pick at it. If the entire skybox rotated it'd look a whole lot more believable.
Ah, they should fix that. Especially because tons of custom skyboxes will either look bad or dumb as hell with a moving sun.

(Though some custom skyboxes would also look really bad with the entire thing rotating, possibly even nausea-making in the case of the low orbit over planet style skyboxes. Even really slow rotation is weird when there's a giant object providing a frame of reference that's moving. Ah well.)

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
It's goofy, sure, but at least a rotating sun provides a (minor) environmental challenge for "survival" mode. I am curious though if the sun rotation with meteors will turn the entire thing into rocket arena though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Klyith posted:

Ah, they should fix that. Especially because tons of custom skyboxes will either look bad or dumb as hell with a moving sun.

(Though some custom skyboxes would also look really bad with the entire thing rotating, possibly even nausea-making in the case of the low orbit over planet style skyboxes. Even really slow rotation is weird when there's a giant object providing a frame of reference that's moving. Ah well.)

It would be best if custom skyboxes could be set up to either spin the whole thing (how the stock one should be), or to have the sun move and then be able to set how bright/dark the sun is at different points in its orbit. That way for the low orbit skyboxes you could have everything go dark when the sun goes behind the planet in the skybox.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Icedude posted:

It would be best if custom skyboxes could be set up to either spin the whole thing (how the stock one should be), or to have the sun move and then be able to set how bright/dark the sun is at different points in its orbit. That way for the low orbit skyboxes you could have everything go dark when the sun goes behind the planet in the skybox.

All they'd need to adjust is making the starfield rotate with it. There's already an option in the World setup to disable sun rotation, so that'd cover any skyboxes that need a static sun.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally updated my mobile drone carrier/mobile base to have a pressurised cabin:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470346350
http://imgur.com/a/VWmNk

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The Moving Sun without the skybox makes it look like you are geing gauged by the enormous flaming eye of a distant Eldar god. If you can change the color of the sun and light for custom skyboxes, that should definately be a theme.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

GotLag posted:

Finally updated my mobile drone carrier/mobile base to have a pressurised cabin:

drat, looks good. It also gives me some thoughts on how to do the interior on the upscaled version based on this.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Interiors are always the part that takes up the most time. Lighting them is a real pain, and the two-block cabin height in the new version helps a lot by allowing me to increase the light radius without going through the floor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I always liked your drone carriers, they've got a great utilitarian look to them :allears:. Updated the OP listing for this version, just because it's newer.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
DX11 would be vastly improved if the bright points on interior walls were actual light sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Buttmeister posted:

Isn't Ion going to be isometric top-down? Doesn't really fill the same niche as a first-person SS13 would, it's more a remake than a reimagining.

Don't give up, many people (myself included) would be all over a first-person SS13 moreso than another top-down version of it.

• Locked thread