Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Everyone play this game it's like space crack (I've not played medieval engineers tho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

What's a good addon that adds multidirectional thrusters? I just think the base thrusters for large ships that are on the smaller side are way, way too big and unwieldy. They're also ugly as poo poo.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Do the thing and I'd definitely give it a shot because it sounds fun.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Can someone explain to me how to sufficiently connect a small ship to a large ship so that I can jump both at the same time? I've been using a connector but the small ship just stays in place.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Yeah I just tried a landing gear and it's not too bad. I'm playing on the goon MP server so there's only mods that the host has on it. That said my modified rescue ship 1 or whatever is pretty sweet after spending a loving eon trying to find cobalt.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

It's been muted :(

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

GotLag posted:

There seems to be some kind of unit gently caress-up.
GasProperties.sbc gives the energy density of hydrogen as 0.001556 MWh/L (the unit is specified in a comment), which matches with the ideal value of compressed hydrogen on Wikipedia. Cubeblocks.sbc shows power output of reactors and consumption of thrusters in MW. However, in-game a thruster rated at 10 MW consumes 10 MWh per second, i.e. 3600 times faster than it should.

Are you saying it consumes 36GW?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

:siren:STREAM IS LIVE:siren:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

So it seems that the solar panel glitch still hasn't been fixed?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

64bitrobot posted:

What is the solar panel glitch?

Solar panels are extremely picky about when they charge batteries. It is extremely frustrating when you're on a planet.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Me and another goon were building a base that had a battery and some panels. No problems. Net input > output so lights were on and battery also charged during the day. Then we built a battery powered mining ship and hook it up via connector, and it just shits the bed. Solar panels go all "?????" and output their power, but neither the batteries on the ship (set to charge) nor the base battery (all boxes unchecked) charge. We ended up having to leapfrog a bunch of uranium ore by hand that we managed to find with the scout ship we had and an ore detector on it and no drills. So yeah that was fun.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Is that a cockpit that shows camera output? :aaa:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I keep getting this really annoying bug where opening and closing sliding doors instantly removes all the oxygen from a room. It doesn't break the airtightness, it just disappears all the oxygen.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

The main issue with the last goon MP server I played on was that everyone was so far away from eachother. If there was an easy way to get everyone toward a central "hub" in space or whatever, then I imagine it'd be a bit more engaging. For me at least I guess.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I mean poo poo, so long as there was someone who was willing to set up a faction that anyone can join so they can use the med bays in the aforementioned "hub" then that's most of the issue resolved.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

64bitrobot posted:

I have somehow acquired over 250 hours playing with my friend, so there's apparently something there. It's pretty much always just us challenging ourselves. 'Alright, let's build a base in this asteroid, what do we need? Okay we got that. Let's build a large ship to carry some stuff to another asteroid base. Okay, we did that.' Then more recently. 'Alright, we built this base in the asteroid, let's build a shuttle that can make it from here to the moon base we were building earlier. Okay, let's do that again, but carry some cargo. Okay, let's build a giant rig to mine ice so we can have hydrogen silos.' And so on and so forth.

It's like building awesome cool poo poo in creative, but we feel much more attachment to our creations because we're doing it in survival.

In the end the challenge of playing in survival is what lead me to my first space/atmosphere shuttle ship. The design has evolved since I first built it but drat if we didn't love the thing as we were exploring.

You sound like the kind of guy I want to engineer some space with.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Well, I for some reason enjoy doing a crash land > build base camp > find/gather resources > better gathering/building ships > eventually escape into space type game, and then expanding from there. I also haven't played for a few months, and would be happy to host a server for a handful of people, but unfortunately it wouldn't be dedicated one.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

A server that somehow started with players on it, having to co operate to get into to space, to then gather more resources. That sounds very fun to me. I don't know about anyone else.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I loved the script that you can get that makes it so that a solar farm follows the sun as it traverses the sky :allears:

I also love the idea of being part of a mining Corp trying to keep up with the demands of a refinery Corp. I might be up for starting a new world tonight if anyone else is interested? Or maybe some other day idk. Only mods I'd have on are some gun blocks, other armour blocks and a hyperdrive (jump drive turned to 11) block. All survival balanced.

Edit: Oh and also earthbreaker drill because that thing is a billion times better than the vanilla large ship drill.

Firos fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Oh yeah, this was on a pc run server, so never had to deal with that dedicated server bugginess.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Anyone who wants to start a new world with me at some point over the next few days feel free to add Dadtoucher on steam.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Like mumble/vent but (even more?) free.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Hello again thread. I have recovered from my power supply dying the other night, so I may start a new survival server tonight if anyone is interested. Just add Dadtoucher on steam.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Locally, unfortunately (?).

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Gonna start up that new world, let's hope the bugs from the patch aren't too bad :v:

Edit:

Perfect landing :toot:

Firos fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 14, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Playing my new SE game tonight for anyone interested. Come help me get off this frozen rock.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

How did you get those panels like that.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Yeah, they're super fragile. I use these now instead. They're bigger, and have a higher resource cost, but they're a great drill.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I gave the MexPex Heavy Drills a try.

I think they may be a tad large for my mining probes...

Or perhaps it's your mining drones that are too small. Hmm? Hmmmm? :colbert:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I can't seem to use SEToolbox to do anything with any of my saves. It just crashes every time I try and open one of them. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Fixed it. A mod file in AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\ was corrupt or something :shrug:

Firos fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 30, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Time to start up a MP server with all the guys I was playing SE with before we stopped due to the godawful netcode :getin:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Set up a goon server and I will play on it ok thanks.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Whatever happened with that dude who said he wanted to host a custom server? I'm getting an itch to play this again, but playing solo is laaaame.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Gotta be honest, I do prefer a crashed lander start or something like that than having everything already built but oh well :v:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

zennik posted:

Just the starting station.

Kept getting people spawning in respawn ships, scrapping them into another, rinse and repeat.

Doing that a bunch starts to slow the server down.

So, the APTAA Base has all the basics needed to get out and start mining.

Ah ok well I'm gonna stick with my single respawn ship until I find somewhere to call home. I accidentally spawned a 2nd one tho lol, not that I'm planning on using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Add Dadtoucher on steam. I enjoy exploding ships by accidentally smashing into asteroids.

• Locked thread