Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

HardDisk posted:

Heat and radioactive waste comes to mind. How does SS13 handle it?

Currently, the station powers itself through a thermal differential engine. You have two loops, hot and cold, with the actual generator in between. Hot loop has a combustion chamber, and cold loop is open to space(yes, everyone knows that's an unrealistic model for cooling pipes, but frankly there's nothing in game that would make more sense). The way it works is you put gas into each of the loops, pump gas into the combustion chamber and start a fire. The hot loop heats up and the cold loop cools down, and temperature and pressure differential is what causes the turbine in the middle to spin and generate power. If you want easy mode, there's also some furnaces attached to the hot loop. Shove coal/weed/living screaming assistants into the furnaces and light them to raise the hot loop temperature to a modest, safe level and use that for a much more controlled burn.

Where it gets complicated is that there's a few different gases that can be used in both loops. Plasma is by far the most thermally conductive, but it also expands and contracts the most, and in the presence of oxygen and heat, will ignite. CO2 and... I think N2O are also present and will work, but are really far less efficient/safer in every area. I mention pressure, because as we know, hot gasses expand, and cold gasses contract. For the most efficient engine, not only must the temperatures between the loops be as vastly different as possible, the pressures must be relatively equal. Too much pressure, and the pipes burst. Too little, and nothing flows through the pipes. This can lead to some interesting juggling, where you have to vent the hot loop constantly and inject gas into the cold loop to keep things moving along.

In the newer maps, we're supposed to be getting some kind of weird laser-fusion-sort-of thing that I have no idea how it works.

For the purposes of this mod though, you'd probably be best off tracking the type of gas in each loop, the temperature, and the pressure. Set up the engine more like a nuclear reactor. Make the combustion chamber into a heat vessel, with uranium to heat the hot loop, and water to keep it from overheating and bursting the pipes. mod in plasma gas(or use oxygen. "Plasma" in ss13 is just a magical science gas that's very volatile), add in a UI to inject exact amount of it into modded in pipes. Cold loop could still run to space. Use existing battery backups to start hot/cold loop gas pumps, which circulate the gas at various speeds through the pipes, and bingo: working engine with ability to overheat and go boom.

Bonus points if you mod in engine sentience beyond certain power levels and special effects that a grumpy engine will do.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Klyith posted:

A 1x1 window has 60% of the component integrity of a light armor block, so yes they're a weak point. Especially if the comparison is surrounding it with heavy armor. For the super military ships I feel like someone needs to make a mod block that's like a small window section in an armor wall.

But sometimes the windows are even more of a structural weakness because you place them in ways where they're only actually attached on one side, meaning even minor damage will make a chunk fall off.

Are there any mod armor blocks that basically show what's on the other side of the wall? I'm thinking like having a fully encased cockpit, with big screens on the walls showing what's going on outside.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yo goons, I last played this game right around 4 years ago. Back then, there wasn't much in the way of gameplay, and the netcode was lovely, and resulted in ships that were very jittery, where players clipping right through a ship was a common thing. How's the multiplayer experience gone since then? I'm hoping it's improved a bit? I'm kinda getting the itch to try this game out again, but if the multiplayer is still crap, then that'll sour things for sure.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RandomBlue posted:

The net code is much better now. Most of the jitter issues and rubber banding has been fixed, though low sim speed is still a major issue with most servers when more than a few players are on at once or big collisions happen.

It's way more playable now that in it was and there's supposed to be another big update soon (maybe it already happened? Haven't played in a couple weeks) with more optimizations I believe.

Hmm. Are there any goons that still play regularly? I'd be interested in joining up with them to re-learn the ropes and start designing neat ships again.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

zennik posted:

Would love to get some shenanigans going. I miss gooning it up in SE. Fell out of touch with most of you guys.

Hey, I remember playing with you waaaay back when on this game. We had a couple other goons, and I recall one of them building a giant goatse ship that we flew some ships right through, and then whoever built the thing got out to take screenshots of the damage, and didn't realize the ship was spiraling off into the void forever. Good times.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McGiggins posted:

Hahah, there were several goatse ships. I made one with some goons, a giant pink one with dong fighters to dock in it, and I'm pretty sure another goon made a better one with moving hands.

Edit: or was mine a giant mobile middle finger fist? Cant remember

I remember this was back when I last played, so before planets. I think it was red, pink, and blue, with a gold ring. Nothing special, just a half a hull at the time. I really wish I still had the pic, but I know we posted about it in the previous thread, whatever happened to that. I don't have archives to go looking.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

zennik posted:

APTAA Server is up. Mods and various crap is still up for discussion/modification.

Server IP: 66.225.198.228:28015

Hosted out of Chicago.

Once we've ironed out exactly how we want this setup, i'll draft up an official post for PGS.

Sweet, I'll join sometime later this evening. In other news, I found a couple pics of the goatse ship I was talking about :

That's you, flying your ship right up the wazoo. Along with that pic, I found a pic of my old cockship:

If I recall correctly, it was designed to pick up ore that was mined and left to float. I think at the time, we had set up some miners that basically had no cargo, and would vomit their ores out into space in a line behind them. the cockship had gravity generators in those arms that would catch and funnel the ores into the shaft, which would move them to storage in the balls. And when the cockship filled up, it could shoot the ores out the tip or dock somewhere via that point and unload.

Looking forward to building more classy loving ships like that. :tipshat:

EDIT: Zennik, what's your steam name? If you're the Zennik I think you are, then Steam says you haven't been online in 200 days.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 8, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I do have that account on my list as well, so that's good.

Firos posted:

Add Dadtoucher on steam. I enjoy exploding ships by accidentally smashing into asteroids.

And I added you as well. For anyone else who wants to add me, I'm THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hey, I remember that one! I designed the original non-cock version and brought it into the Goon server at the time.

I actually still have the Blueprint for my original Dongfighter too!

Though modern upgrades mean we can make far superior penile starfighters now.

Yes! I remember that as well! I can't wait till we got surface to space dong cannons shooting mineral wealth to the stars.

My cholesterol! :buddy:

We've got most of, if not all the gang now. We need to jump in on this.

• Locked thread