Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The only thing this game is missing for me is a proper... I don't know, sense of purpose in Survival Mode. Enemies, Threats (beyond very predictable comets), A Goal of Some Kind. That's really all I'm waiting for right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

HMM. If only I was good at... any sort of modding. I feel like An Enemy is what is sorely missing from this game to make it playable at a Survival level without becoming pointless very quickly. Something simplistic to start, like Space Locusts that eat metal and rock or something and build hives in asteroids.

That would be neat, though not realistic. Basically, we need Giant Angry Space Bees.

Edit: I will be your idea guy if you can model and code Space Bees, pls work for exposure tia :v:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

There needs to be a scenario/Game Start where there aren't any asteroids with resources, only a field of scrap and derelict ships where you need to scavenge to survive.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Wynand posted:

Also, I found a thread saying that the rotating sun does NOT affect where asteroid come from, but I swear I've only ever seen them coming from exactly where the sun is at all times :/

Also confirming they come from the sun even with rotation. I set it to a 1-minute day and meteors were coming from everywhere around me as the sun spun about.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Random Encounter posted:

This update has made some people upset.

Oh god, why is that?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Personally I'm hoping we get some randomly-spawning hostile creatures on planets, where they don't have to worry about that pesky z-axis or ship layouts. Hope you have sturdy perimeter walls to last the night...

edit: Well my own quick tests confirm that a fully-loaded cargo pod drops like a stone under the Enhanced Gravity Generators. Now I gotta redesign my aerospace cargo lifter :sigh:.

Space Bees.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did someone say Space Bees?! :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENVtCMkbrM
Don't know the story behind it, the video was just on Marek Rosa's twitter and there's no description in the video. I take it they're from Medieval Engineers maybe?

They're apparently a bug (haw) and a frame-rate killer. I think they've been patched out though? It's a physics fuckup from what I understand.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably, yes.

I feel like it's almost possible to do it now, they would just lack programming. Some sort of streamlined drilling device with a welder and projector in order to help make copies of itself. How you get the assembler to spit out parts on its own, I don't know.

Basically I'm picturing Mantrid Drones.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh, ok, so, how do you people get small ships built in your fancy ship factories? Getting a small projector attached to a Large Ship seems tedious as gently caress. And even compact Large Ships are too bulky to fit through most hanger doors.

Basically my idea is to make a Mothership that allows me to remotely build and pilot drones for the purpose of mining, repair, and defense. So that I never need to leave my comfy oxygen-filled Throne Room.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I was also thinking of a space turtle-ship, though the scale I was working at ultimately defeated me. I discovered symmetry mode and ended up creating a massive octagonal structure with octuple redundancy. Engines are super loving weak, I've noticed. Moving anything that big is a goddamn chore.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also pictures of your octagonal-squared monstrosity please :allears:.

Well ok. If it were ever finished and fully armed, I suspect the Basetagon could have 80% of it totally destroyed and still remain fully operational.

The Basetagon.

From above. Or below.

This is the entrance. Gravity in the chute is 4 Gs going out. A byproduct of the intersecting gravity fields.

One button controls the outer doors, the other opens the interior doors separating the two levels.

Heading out from the central shaft, we fine Medical and Oxygen. It's upside-down as a result of Symmetry Mode. It's right-side up on the other level. OH WELL.

The control room. The left door leads to an identical control room. The right door leads to the hanger control room.

The hanger. Buttons were never set up, since the Basetagon was never finished.

The hanger from the inside.

The entrance into... Maintenance?

So Gyros. I'm hungry.

Upstairs is the main industrial area. Never really meant to be ever accessed, just open for convenience's sake.

The Refinery ALSO ended up upside-down due to Symmetry mode. WELP. Too lazy to fix it now.

Exterior hanger shot.

Each of those window sections is a mirrored control room, containing all adjacent rooms. There are four hangers.

Basetagon Mk. II. I will call it the Jellyfish, as we are forgoing hangers in favor of exterior assembly and storage of drones.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Basetagon Mk 2 is about as finished as it's going to get for the moment.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Smooth the pyramid with angular blocks, remove the windows... AND ACCELERATE THE TITAN ENGINES TO RAMMING SPEED! :black101:

If only it were possible to build a ship capable of going to RAMMING SPEED and surviving.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried using a Conveyor Sorter block to force what gets stored where?

The idea of actually sorting things is alien to me; I just let it all accumulate magically as the Conveyor wills it to be.

Edit: On an unrelated note, I am currently experimenting with geometric shapes and attempting to get ships to slot into other ships. I have since discovered that the Merge Block is loving dangerous as hell, and pistons don't seem to like it when used with one. Nor do they want to move if one is currently attached to something.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 22, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mercutio Martino posted:

Here it is. Cry Havoc.
Swapped out the Large Capacitor for an Arc Reactor and 2nd Jump Drive (toggle them to instantly warp in and out), so even I don't know how it handles in survivor.
Now that I have done this, this beast is dead. Back to the drawing board. :froggonk:

Has anyone ever used the welders inside the hull (possibly combined with a projector) to create a damage repair system?
I know the concept would take the frame rate to single digits, but I wana know if it can feasibly be done, at least for critical systems.

I'd say yes, since to even begin building the projected ship it must be attached in some way to the projector, so I don't see why it couldn't repair itself.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Look, it's a Bug.

Includes something not often seen in ships; an access lift. I'm not yet happy with the cockpit shape or set-up but that can be tweaked easily enough.The idea being it should hopefully be able to land and take off from planets.

If only hinges existed so I could make wiggly legs.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mercutio Martino posted:

Dun get me wrong, I love lifts, but the reason they're not seen that often is their propensity to snap off in multiplayer when the pilot sneezes.

I do like the design though, and you have sort of an alien feel going on their with that aesthetic.

I also love lifts and have decided to make use of them, multiplayer be damned. Also I don't yet tend to play MP so I figure I am safe for now.

As for the aesthetic, that's what I'm going for. It'll need some refining tho. And I still need to settle on a design for a mothership. Maybe go all Lexx/Dragonflyish

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Jigoku San posted:

It was fine when I spawned it, i just left everything no nobody. I think half of it was cuz it was late and I had a couple drinks, so I kept forgetting to reset the programming block while messing with it. But I swear I had problems with something not working after c/p before.

The red shell not exploding was a fluke though, the shot hit a edge and reflected without hitting the warhead. Whats the point of the cargo container in the red shell, would you load it with explosives to increase yield or rock to increase mass?

The former. Explosives in the cargo container will explode when the warhead goes off. The explosion is truly enormous.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

God, this is what the game needed. Finally.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Amechwarrior posted:

49,000 steel plate. For some reason it has a "~" in front of it, I don't know why.

It means "Approximately", as it is omitting the last three digits.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Amechwarrior posted:

I know it is for approximate, but it's not related to having too many digits. I played around with it and it's not related to how many digits are in the inventory. Here I've isolated the last plate in the stack and it still has the symbol. The stack of 75K plates in the container below doesn't have it. I move the odd plate from 1 container to the next, to my inventory, dropping it as a floating item and it keeps its symbol.

Here I compared it to a normal plate in my personal inventory and it looks like the odd one is almost 2 whole plates, but not quite. Anyone know why this happens? How does it spawn or manufacture approximate amounts of items?

Normal Plate

Odd Plate

Guess I could disassemble the parasitic twin plate into iron to fix the issue. I think I'm cursed to find all the bugs this game can throw at me.

Huh, ok, that is very weird.

BigwigML posted:

I didn't trust it so I ejected it into space.

Words to live by.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

buttcoinbrony posted:

Medieval Engineers and Space Engineers should be made MP compatible.

I am pretty sure that's the eventual plan.

Edit: I want to be the King of the Spiders and spread them far and wide. MORE SPIDERS. MORE!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm hoping they're something you can stumble upon while drilling Too Deep. Hope you can seal that tunnel...

I'm guessing they'll be like the ME ones and attack in waves at night though. The real item of interest in that video has to be what looked like a lake though. Interesting to try and make a water landing with your mothership.

Also, flooding. Decks 3 through 8 are filled with water, and you need to swim down and seal the breach. Also your reactor is down there so it's a radiation hell, good luck comrade.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Given it has for long periods of time just flat out not been able to run on many people's pcs, I don't think anyone really cares about it.

There's your OP for it.

I've been ignoring it for the moment because there is very little in it. Once they've fleshed out some of the systems and things-to-do it'll be worth poking at.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 20, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Triskelli posted:

:manning: Not even torpedoes or even just chucking rocks? Laaame.

Well, torpedoes built out of parts and engines should still work. Chucking rocks, not so much.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Which, is, by the way, still only just shy of 3 light seconds, and just a touch over a half of a percent of the distance between the earth and the sun.

Space is really loving big.

Space Engineers takes place in a world where everything is actually very very tiny.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I hope this week's patch stabilizes things somewhat, so I can play again.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Should do, so long as you set the World's size to infinite.

I don't think so. Patch notes say planets are not generated, but placed manually.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I just spawned a planet in Creative, it was like the drat thing uncloaked, just instantaneous. Pretty drat impressive.

Also, I am fairly certain that planets do not appear randomly in a map. Either you play on one of the Planet Starts, or you manually place the planet in Creative. Presumably they will work on random planets later.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Just got my new graphics card! And, yes, a good graphics card does in fact improve frame rate. I'm enjoying silky smooth frame rates on planetworld after everything finishes loading.

Oddly, an SDD doesn't really improve loading time though. Probably all them voxels.

Yeah I turned everything down to medium and noticed significant improvements. Just the occasional hiccup and awful stuttering in creative if any pasted object ghost clips the ground.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn my spaceship designs would benefit from some ladders or single-block staircases. Get on it, Keen!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I hope that, eventually, Hydrogen fuel tanks become explosive when damaged/destroyed. Or spray fire through conveyor tubes.

Also they should probably texture some more of the blocks. Catwalks in particular.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GotLag posted:

I've spent today playing Empyrion - Galactic Survival. It's much more survival-oriented than SE, as the name would suggest. Haven't worked my way up to a spaceship yet, having too much fun building an underground base/mine, as the seed I'm playing dropped my escape pod right on top of a fuel ore lode.

I've picked and eaten wild-growing corndogs, and been attacked by a mobile, carnivorous plant.

Is it worth the price? I've been eying it but the fact that it looked like an obvious cash grab riding SE's coat tails made me wary.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Darth Various posted:

Speaking of nerds, do we have an IRC channel to talk shop in? I tried #spaceengineers on SynIrc but no beans.

We don't, but we should. I blame Neddy.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Make it if you want it, I'll stick it in the OP.

It is done.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Welp. Trees are the stupidest loving thing to happen since planets. I just had the misfortune of autosaving while driving my huge drilltruck in a forested area (had to reload due to wheels disappearing lol) and now every time I reload the save a tree (previously knocked down) is instantly revived inside of my driver's seat, blowing up everything to poo poo.

This loving game is such a loving mess right now it's insane. Rotors/pistons/all moving part are constantly exploding, wheels randomly GONE, trees/vegetation don't actually ever go away, cockpits are suicide booths if not properly ventilated and there's no indicator that you're loving dying.

e: I really want to play spaceblocks but this game is just utterly broken right now. It doesn't help at all that the autosave feature is as barebones as it can get, literally just a save connected to a timer and it doesn't even take pauses or loading into the game or manual saving into consideration. Also no backup saves of any kind is making me want to kill something.

Edit save file settings, untick Block Damage/destruction. That might help?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

The Deluxe Space Tent so you can oppress micromanage your workers from the comfort and safety of your aerial roost:

The luxurious inside provides all you could possibly need, no assembly required, refinery sold separately:

Manufacturer makes no guarantees, no refunds permitted and regular maintenance may be required. Darwin awards are delivered to the next of kin all people that fail to read the fine print:

I'm totally stealing this design. I'm a big fan of remote drones and long for the day where mining can be automated.

Edit: I really need to get on building a Drone Carrier that can produce its own Kamikaze Drones.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 25, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay goons this might be a dumbass question but help me out here because I'm confused.

I've been playing SE again the last couple of days after a few months away, and I can't operate my ship drills/welders/grinders with LMB. I can control them fine through the various options when dragging them onto the toolbar, but I can't just press my mouse button down to drill. Am I crazy or did this change at some point, because I would swear up and down it used to be mouse button. And more pertinently, how do I change this back?

When you hit G to add poo poo to the tool-bar, there's a seperate category called "Tools and Weapons", if you add those to the bar then, when selected, drills etc will be operable via the mouse buttons.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I think mods have managed it? I don't see why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I've decided, after binging on Star Trek a bit, that my future ships will follow the Cardassian model of ship design; make it look like a fish. :v:

Also the Cardassians had sweet looking ships.

• Locked thread