Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Oxygen isn't my favorite feature and I hope that's the last of the tedious maintenance-type features they add to "Survival" and they add more environmental challenges (and rewards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

rossmum posted:

After several false starts at a new design of my own, I've gone back to my half-baked project of converting GotLag's exploration ships into a destroyer. This time I actually chopped them together to make the ship slightly larger, and totally gutted the interior to give myself room to work with. It's turning out pretty well so far, just needs some finishing touches (and some real punch, to make it worth of the title).

I like this. I'm doing something similar just scaled up a bit (one additional deck, about 60 meters longer). It's still something of a drone carrier but also has an internal hanger. I was going to build in a 3D printer but I can't find the room for it.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
It's goofy, sure, but at least a rotating sun provides a (minor) environmental challenge for "survival" mode. I am curious though if the sun rotation with meteors will turn the entire thing into rocket arena though.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

GotLag posted:

Finally updated my mobile drone carrier/mobile base to have a pressurised cabin:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470346350
http://imgur.com/a/VWmNk

drat, looks good. It also gives me some thoughts on how to do the interior on the upscaled version based on this.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Still very much a work in progress, but making a more "traditional" carrier heavily influenced by GotLag's Duchessa/Contessa series of ships. This is the second go at it, using only vanilla blocks and trying to keep it a reasonable size. Only the upper hull section and aft thruster sections are complete.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Collision avoidance gives objects a wide, wide berth so if you're doing some precision autopilot stuff (like auto docking) it won't work. Someone would bitch regardless of the default setting.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Last I know it doesn't function quite right, center if lift is thrown off since stuff attached to rotors counts as different grids.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Also, are there any skybox mods that work on dx11? I can't seem to find any.

They all do now. You don't need to find a DX11 specific one.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I've seen a guided missile example on the workshop, and a variant that packs a bunch of gyros in the nose so they scatter after impact. I will dig up the link when I get to a computer.

I don't know how effective they are, those missiles.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly wouldn't put much stock in the gyro trick. It's a clever one, but it's something that's probably going to get patched out eventually.

You're likely right.

The link I mentioned earlier:
Guided Missile: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=546494746 which is used in this ship: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542103824

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
i hope there is some solution to gravity generators not working in natural grav., I wanted to build a space elevator and use gravity to shuttle up and down.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Is it me, or are flight controls inverted despite settings? When I go to check on them they start to work the way I expect them to.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 15, 2015

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Moving beyond the sandbox is what the scenario editor is for. That thing needs to be more robust, or moddable in itself.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Neddy, the exterior shots of your ships make me think of how the Honorverse stuff is described. I dig it.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
There's a mod I've been tinkering with off and on, adding two different grades of armor blocks (Medium and Super Heavy.) Still need to math things out to be consistent (it's based off of vanilla values) but I wondered if anyone was interested in something that's, well, boring like that. And, of course, I need to do some texture work (using vanilla assets for now.)

Sorus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 6, 2016

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I find the game infinitely more enjoyable when played with others than just solo.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

OwlFancier posted:

All the SE youtubers are painfully dorky.

Probably due in part to the subject matter (space, engineering) combined with recording games for youtube which is inherently dorky.

Firos posted:

Hello again thread. I have recovered from my power supply dying the other night, so I may start a new survival server tonight if anyone is interested. Just add Dadtoucher on steam.

Locally hosted or dedicated?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The DK cargo overhaul is nice, but I prefer my local version with vanilla like numbers and more sane build requirements.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I would be down with doing survival with folks. I've found I can't really play survival solo anymore.

e: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sorus

Sorus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I "made" (vanilla models, just changed values) a mod that is a straight upgrade of vanilla ion thrusters that function well in atmosphere. They're a bit more expensive, requiring as many superconductor conduits as thruster components, have an idle power draw as much as hydrogen thrusters, provide about 85% as much thrust as a hydrogen thruster, and overall better power efficiency over ions.

In short, the only 'balance' i tried to build it was up front build cost, after that I didn't give a poo poo. They're also significantly more damaging with the thruster flame so your light armor landing platforms will get melted by these things if you get too close.

The engine flame effect is also a pretty rad purple.

Would anyone be interested?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I had to clean things up a little and fix engine glare, but here you go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727772862

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I wonder how one defines the mount points, if that is something in the model itself or the .sbc files.

I haven't had time to sit down and figure out blender yet, so I hope it is in the .sbc's.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Learning how to model (and texture) due to this game, and the new blocks they showed off .. I want to emulate that style but it's kind of intimidating.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
True. I just find Blender to be an unintuitive mess, sadly. And SE itself is fiddly as poo poo, I've had some thrusters melt themselves on the small ship version but the large are fine.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Could try a Programmable Block and Taleden's Inventory Manager. AFAIK it's working again.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

quote:

- fixed a issue seeing through block: 2x2x1 inv. corner

loving finally.

Also, as a random aside, I really hate Blender.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Been doing a simple armor mod on the side (adds medium and super-heavy armor) while I learn how to model, messing with texturing and such. Uses Keens base textures but did a little messing around to add slightly dulled or shinier patches and unpainted spots and scratches. It's rather neat how the various channels in the image adjust things.

e: oops, accidentally deleted the puush.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 6, 2016

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Super-Heavy, Heavy, Medium, Light.

Futzing about. Managed to remove the camo pattern from heavy (it's for the super-heavy on the far left) without just swapping it with light armor.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The original plan for super-heavy was to make it appear like much larger plates, nearly seamless, not like the smaller smattering of plates like light and heavy.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Build a projector and load it with a blueprint. Then get to welding.

Later, automate the process.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least they're finally putting some work into parallelization, because goddamn is that a bottleneck they should've sorted months ago.

It's probably almost a direct result of Xov's stream the other night where a bunch of people dead a Battlefield like deathmatch, with auto-respawning grids and such (it was pretty fun, but was really only stable in a 4v4 setup). The turret reload time was a direct result of that too.

The auto-spawning grid thing Draygo-somethingorother came up with is kinda neat, and I am thinking of a space based DM map using it.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

lilspooky posted:

So I've come back to check out SE and they've changed a TON of stuff like how you can mousewheel through block selection and all kinds of odd things.

One thing that's driving me up the wall is that you apparently can't zoom out any in 3rd person view anymore? I read somewhere somebody said they changed it to holding down ALT and using the mousewheel but that doesn't seem to work. So how do I do it?

Alt works for me. Are you using a remote control/seat setup?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Ambaire posted:

I need to build a new regular ship soon so I stop getting red text constantly when trying to upgrade this one... but I'm slightly worried about getting caught in the open with a rogue meteor storm. I suppose a possible solution is to excavate a cavern. Is it possible to just do land clear mode with the ship mounted drills or is that a feature of the hand tool only?

Another option, instead of building a new ship, is build a new "station" on the ground, add a merge block, put another merge block on your ship and just connect.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
GCC still works well. It is pre-oxygen and pre-build from cockpit but those are minor limitations.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
There is this armored version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=464317755

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
About a month back I played an SE map that had respawning grids and the goal was to knock out the enemy bases power.

Putting together something similar but space based. I can import into one if the multiplayer branches something made in stable/dev, yeah?

Might be an ideal way of testing, shooting the poo poo out of each other.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Well.. gently caress making new models, I'll just do a (lovely) retexture.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I think the suit is Sektan's Worker Suit and the ramp is MCM Boarding Ramp.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I stop my spaceships like I stop on ice skates, by slamming into a wall/another person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I don't think there is a goon specific SE Discord.

• Locked thread