Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I've updated my corvette a bit. I can't guarantee it's 100% because I'm half asleep and have probably forgotten to set something or other up, but it's here as a world file since I'm too lazy to figure out which mods it requires and set them up on its Workshop page. I'm living out of one in a survival world at the moment so that's something, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

After several false starts at a new design of my own, I've gone back to my half-baked project of converting GotLag's exploration ships into a destroyer. This time I actually chopped them together to make the ship slightly larger, and totally gutted the interior to give myself room to work with. It's turning out pretty well so far, just needs some finishing touches (and some real punch, to make it worth of the title).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Neddy, I can't help but feel your ships' agility and power/resource efficiency would benefit heavily from taking the all-or-nothing armour theory from treaty battleships and applying it to them :v:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Latest creation. Unfinished, so don't expect too much. Also note that there's a lot of useful things concealed under shutters along the dorsal armour, like backup solar panels, an IFF beacon, and maintenance access for four of the assembler modules.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The exterior Homeworld look is all GotLag's wizardry, essentially I cut and re-welded various sections from two of his ships and then added a few bits and pieces externally, before totally reworking the interior.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Iron Llama posted:

Seeing as I've torn apart and restarted my cruiser for probably the eighth time now, I figured I'd share an interceptor I've been working on for a while:

It's adorable :allears:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Is anyone here particularly handy with turret design? I'm badly in need of some standardised turrets of various sizes that are capable of being controlled independently or via a centralised gun director. I'm drawing blanks, and most of the best-working pubbie-designed turrets I've found tend to be rather bulkier than I'd like.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I'd rather have block-based designs than single part mods, they're more durable and can be customised more easily.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

After tooling around for some time looking for resources in my new exploration world, I decided it was time to get serious and set up a more permanent home. I've been living out of the Kuybyshev up until now, and had been mostly mining by hand to keep the fuel topped up until I came across a tiny pubbie-built miner drifting near some asteroids. I claimed it as my own and have been dragging it around with me as a temporary solution - I hadn't even bothered naming it or repainting it at all, which is unusual for me, since the first thing I usually do to a ship I've adopted is begin refitting it to suit my own needs.

It's the little yellow thing stuck to the aft connector there.

Anyway, I quickly refitted Kuybyshev with a compact (1x1x1) jump drive since I didn't have room for a vanilla one, and set about charging it while also refining away the ores I'd lazily mined. Once it was fully charged, I jumped back to a previously-saved GPS location I'd explored earlier and decided upon as a possible construction site. Both ships made the jump without any issues, and once I arrived I parked Kuybyshev over the asteroid where its solar cells were in full sun and began hand-building a worker ship from a blueprint underneath.

I started with a vanilla-parts-only, reinforced-frame GCV Mk.III, but as the build progressed I began to modify it. First I replaced the stock thrusters with the same type I'd used on Kuybyshev for some visual uniformity, which also gave me room for more of them (the DK flat thrusters are 1x1x1), then I briefly considered adding armament before realising it would take up too much space. I then dropped this in favour of upgraded welders, a more advanced sensor suite, and even a laser antenna under the nose for long-range communication. I ended up with a ship barely any larger than a standard GCV, but much more capable.

Next task is a more substantial miner, I think.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 26, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need a landing gear (or Maglock Blocks) on either the GCV or Kuybyshev to hold the GCV in place, otherwise it's gonna drift off when you decelerate or turn sharply while carrying it. Also with the Kuybyshev's general slender shape you could stick an Earthbreaker Drill on the front of it and call it a day for mining.

Kuybyshev has a pair of maglocks on its belly, just in front of the ventral collector. The miner also has a landing gear. As for sticking a big drill on the front, I'd have to sacrifice my beautiful space vistas :smith:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Some pictures:

The beginnings of an asteroid outpost in my new survival world. Kuybyshev is parked just outside. Unfortunately some new and exciting bug causes the twin welders on the GCV to kill its pilot when activated, so it's all hand-welding for now.

New 100-ton heavy fighter/long-range scout. It trades acceleration and agility (as well as ease of docking) for an expanded sensor/comms suite.

It's a pretty hardy little fucker, despite my decision to shave about 15 tons off by foregoing any heavy armour at all and also converting all of the interior structure to scaffolds.

I also did some weapons testing, mostly OKI stuff.

One 200mm rocket, roughly centre of mass. Ship's still functional, but only barely, and a quick burst of gunfire would shatter it. These rockets are monsters.

Top left was three aimed shots with 122mm cannon, I think you can tell where. Bottom left was a single 200mm rocket to the wingtip (!) which totally ratfucked half the fighter. The other two I went to town on with various guns.

The real gem is the quad 23mm cannon, though. It combines the power of the CSD autocannon with the rate of fire of a gatling. A quick burst from two quads was enough to severely damage a target fighter, so I whacked another four on to see what happened if I shot a few very short, raking bursts from behind, as if in pursuit. This was the result.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

McGiggins posted:

Actual combat will be a very interesting thing if the netcode is fixed/updated as part of the Planets update.

So many things to try, oh yes.

Unfortunately, it generally tends to be quite unfun. Whoever's ship accelerates faster can simply engage and disengage at will with no real chance at retaliation unless their victim scores a lucky hit as they pass, and fights between ships of roughly equal acceleration and agility rapidly degenerate into circlestrafing while holding LMB. I've been designing my fighters more for looks than function as a result.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I'm seriously falling behind on my shipbuilding. I have a lot of ideas, but can't seem to turn them into anything workable. I've been thinking about armour schemes in particular, and settled on something I'll just roughly sketch -

Left side is for less crucial (i.e. not ammo/propulsion/command) compartments, right side is for armoured compartments. The apple-shaped cross-section is to allow the broader, armoured upper surfaces to act as a kind of turtle shell against incoming fire or meteor showers, with no penetrations save essentials (weapons, gunnery directors, thrusters). The turtle shell extends almost the entire length of the ship, but the side belts only cover critical areas and are capped off at either end by armoured bulkheads (as opposed to lighter ones). The flight bridge is ventral, along with various armament and any penetrations for airlocks. Special areas of the ventral surface are concave in shape in order to fit small launches and lifeboats. The powerplant and command compartment are near the centre of the ship.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The idea is that you turn your 'top' towards the biggest threat. Optimal ship design for space combat is a giant armoured ball with weapons poking out of it like impact sensors on a WWII sea mine - I don't really find that interesting, so I try to deliberately design (manageable) flaws into my ships to give them some flavour.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, that's more or less my idea with the exception of the turtle shell (which can be reduced as necessary).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I've altered Bezposhchadniy a bit. It probably isn't 100% fixed DX11-wise, but I've replaced some of the offending blocks (and improved the interior decor in doing so). I've also made various small upgrades, mostly to the interior. No new screens on the Workshop page - I'll replace the outdated ones later. Still no primary weapon system, I'm still trying to figure out what to do for it. I also have to weed out the unused mods so it doesn't take forever to load.

I'm tempted to try and design (and then place) some kind of launch on it so it has a means of transferring crew or allowing for escape in emergencies, but I need to find somewhere I can put it without ruining the ship's lines. It's going to have to be pretty slim - probably a small ship conformed to fit underneat the centre section.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, just sit and fend off whatever while your miners/salvagers work in peace on the "soft" side. Having the docking bay entrance go through the sides of your ship isn't so bad though - most stuff will just go in one side and out the other, or just thud into the armored deck.

I figure larger ships will keep smaller shuttles/fighters inside interior hangars (either opening through the sides or belly of the mothership), but for smaller vessels like destroyers or light cruisers, externally-stored launches will both look baller as gently caress and save on interior space and complexity.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If I could easily tell the upper armour from the rest without having to dick with the paint job, I'd convert that to heavy armour and then leave everything else light. Otherwise, it can stay light for now. As for forward-firing weapons, I'm not sure about that - despite nominally being a destroyer it's not super-duper agile and they'd be difficult to properly aim with the FCS I have in mind. I was planning on some kind of torpedo launcher or heavy-calibre turret underslung where the advanced rotor is currently poking out, but I have to decide which and then come up with a viable turret design first. After that, I just need to find somewhere to whack the director that won't get in the way and won't easily get wrecked. Perhaps I'll have separate upper and lower directors, just in case.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Goons! Specifically, goons who know how to computer! I have a thing I'd like to propose.

You can use either mechanical linkages or scripts for programmable blocks that will automatically cause all your (block-based) turrets to aim where the director is aiming. However, this can't account for parallax error by adjusting shot convergence, so it's only so useful. It also can't control actual prebuilt turrets, only block-based weapons. The first thing I thought when I saw the laser antenna was how much it looks like some kind of electro-optical targeting complex, like something you'd see on the nose of an Apache - would it be possible to create a modded block from it which automatically causes all turrets to aim at the specific point where it's aiming, thus accounting for the problems with the existing system and allowing for it in a smaller, less breakage-prone package?

As for everyone else, this is adorable and while I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, it looks like it might just answer my prayers for a compact, effective CIWS system that can be fed via conveyors and doesn't look like rear end.

/e Nevermind, I can't read, it's not a turret. Welp.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 18, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, I was thinking of an actual block for the director and then having that control either other turret blocks and/or rotor-based ones.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Just totally replaced the powerplant! Now instead of a shitload of inefficient small reactors taking up entirely too much space and presenting too tempting a target, I've got six nice 150MW hydrogen reactors (and the processing facilities necessary to extract hydrogen from ice) taking up a third of the space, allowing me to concentrate the batteries in the bow so the first thing to eat poo poo isn't the main power circuit. I also added some more interior decorations, and emergency isolation shutters either side of the No.1 bulkhead.

Time to go upload some fancy screens to the Workshop page!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

You'd want it to be able to turn in a hurry, though, in case anything gets beside you - compared to an easy roll.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, forgot about that and all :shobon:

This is a cute little buggy, should be great for planetary exploration

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Progress! Have a copy/paste, because I'm lazy as gently caress.

quote:

Fixed airlock doors and added a little motor launch!

The launch has seating space for eight, standing room for perhaps one more, and a crew of two (pilot, navigator). It has a centrally-located cargo container, accessible through a ventral connector and two side ejectors externally and two small interior cargo containers internally. The passenger cabin is pressurised and has access to the cockpit, as well as two small first-aid stations. I've got to do something with the powerplant or the thrusters as the industrial thrusters overload the reactors, but otherwise it functions well. The reactors are powered by the same hydrogen fuel as Bezposhchadniy's new powerplant, making life easier and offering an improvement in power output over regular uranium fission reactors. The launch is unarmed, but carries multiple onboard communications systems and a small radar set.

The launch is designed to sit underslung just ahead of Bezposhchadniy's airlock, and can be locked in place with the three landing gear units that lay flush along its belly. Be sure to turn the inertia dampeners OFF before shutting down - and don't leave the launch running when not in use! Right now, there's no corresponding connector on Bezposhchadniy's underside and the launch can only be accessed by jetpack (being both upside-down on the bottom of the destroyer and slightly raised from the deck), but this may see revision in future, along with some improvements to the launch itself. I also intend to make reinforcements to its landing area to ensure thruster damage is prevented entirely, though if you're gentle, it doesn't have much effect on the existing light armour.

Before jumping or making sudden manoeuvres with the destroyer, ensure that:

1. The launch has its inertia dampeners OFF;
2. The launch is LOCKED to the hull by at least two of its three landing gear legs;
3. The launch is powered OFF, both reactor and battery powerplants.

It may also be advisable to make sure that there are no loose cargo items floating around inside the launch and that its cabin doors are closed. The launch can be powered on externally by using the cabin door's keypad or simply climbing into the cockpit - make sure to gain enough clearance of Bezposhchadniy before turning inertial dampeners on, especially if the destroyer is moving.

Enjoy!

There are more screens on the Workshop page, but here's a quick peek:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If you're not actually using the four slots in the barrel for anything, there are now armour slab mods that would fill the gap and round the barrel profile out nicely.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Ships turn equally well on all axes so far as I know? If we could use off-centre thrust then you could stick thrusters at either end and blast them to flip it quickly.

Yeah, turning is tied to gyros and is independent of thrusters, which is a shame.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I'm inept when it comes to computers; could I convince one of you fine goongineers to take a look at my destroyer and mess around with some scripts for its mainframe? I'd like some useful displays around the command centre and engineering spaces, and maybe some basic stuff to automatically control various systems (especially the airlock). Bonus points if you can get something done with the launch, too.

I've yet to figure out what to do with the primary weapons system, but I'm sure I'll get that sorted eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Welp, looks like the patch broke my survival world save. RIP.

• Locked thread