Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I really hope planets get released today, though I'm confident they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Apparently Keen is going to have a twitch stream going tomorrow. I have no idea what it will be about, or what time, or what the link is.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
How many large thrusters can a large reactor power? I feel like I never have a good bearing on engine to power ratio and make my decisions completely for cosmetic reasons.

I do genuinely think that all thrusters should have to be connected to either the conveyer system or to some sort of fuel tank.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

With hydrogen thrusters you can do exactly this thing and as an added bonus hydrogen thrusters are really strong.

I hope they do this with all thrusters, probably cause I like to punish myself in survival mode.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
The manchild in me wants to take Friday off now...

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I get friday off because we're moving to a new office!

But the toddler probably won't let me play :negative:

If only we could send the kids to work in the factories like the good old days.

So, all ships will be effected by natural gravity right? Artificial Mass blocks won't be required?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I told my girlfriend that today was the biggest day in gaming because of Planets and that my entire weekend was gonna be absorbed. She responded by saying "Are you taking about that game you build Penis like spaceships in."

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I can hardly believe that I initially bought this when it was essentially a 'crash poo poo together in space' simulator. I never ever imagined that it could become something so loving awesome, I can't wait to play around with planets.

Same. Keen is a legit company.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I've started building a rail system and noticed that at around 300 or 400 blocks in length, the blocks start cutting out or tearing. I guess the system will have to be mulipart. My idea was to make a giant system that goes into a hanger 1km inside a mountain, possibly decend deeper into the planet and is completely rail centric. Im diggin planets this far, I hope they really optimize them within the next few months cause they are wonky as fudge at the moment.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
A buddy and I have been spending entirely too much time on a Monorail system that runs across Mars and burrows deep into the volcano. Planets and gravity have added a new layer of difficulty when it comes to placing objects onto other objects, but when it works it's magical. Ill post a video when we finish the entire thing, but there is still more work to do on the turnstiles and crane that lowers cars onto the monorail l.

This game can easily absorb weekends...

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

McGiggins posted:

Hmm, not much of an update.

We need an end game, a reason to build the things and fight the other players.

Like, destroy the Space Nazi fortress or something, before anyone else can claim the Alien Spaceship inside it.

This game has great freedom to do many things, but no reason to do them at the moment, other than "gently caress that guy over there".

:(

I kind of feel like that's the million dollar question. Is the game ever going to evolve into less of a sandbox and more of an objective based game? I really would love a reason to exist in survival mode that was deeper than gathering more materials to make bigger ships.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
It's odd when you see what looks like a flat, smooth, but steep incline and then you find out it's the craggiest peice of land ever. Im always going too fast and the result is me repairing wheels.

One day I dream we can start a racing league and do an entire planetary circuit.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

lilspooky posted:

So, I think that I'm gonna bite the bullet on this and pick it up. The only last thing holding me back is overall performance. I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids and reading various comments in different places on the net and I'm worried about what kind of computer you need to really get this game running decently, not necessarily top end but just decent to get an enjoyable experience. What's worried me is that I've heard various people mention how the game suffers on even 6 core machines and that overall your CPU is the determining factor. I'm currently running an old i5 that's like 4.5 years old (can't remember exactly what it is and I'm on vacation and can't go look). I've got a GTX 970 that I grabbed last summer so overall graphically I don't think that should be the problem. I'm planning on upgrading my CPU / Mobo / RAM in the near future (like in the next month or two) so I just wanted to get an impression of what I can expect if I decide to pick this up.

I'd think youd be fine if you aren't afraid of running on some reduced settings. My rig is similar to yours and the game when in space is nice and smooth. Of course, the more models and the larger the ship becomes is the real problem, but even so I can make some pretty gigantic ships and the FPS is never unplayable. Planets are a bit rough at times, but it once again depends on foliage and models.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Their recently released roadmap mentioned optimization, so I would bet things are only going to get better. Unlike a lot of Early Access games, SE really does a really good job by having a weekly patch and frequent communications with their supporters about the future and their plans.

I'm fully expecting a lot of optimization and support but I may just be chuggin down the cool aid.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I use reddit to follow certain games, SpaceEngineers is one and it's recently been turded up by Star Citizens. There was a gif of a SC ship spinning around in a dog fight, doing a hard turn that would certainly throw anyone not seatbelted into a wall. The Citizen's praised the fact that the player could stand in the ship while dogfighting and shat on the SE net code for a while. It made me wonder though... Since artificial gravity isn't a thing yet, we'll exclude it for now, but would inertia and G forces in a zero gravity environment be the same as they would in a 1 G environment. Also, bonus question, if you were floating in the center of a pressurized ship, say the ISS, and the ship rotated 180 degrees, would the ship rotate around you? Does air pressure play any role?

I'm too stupid to know these things, but am in a perpetual state of wondering.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I still wonder if it'll ever be more than legos in space...

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Holy poo poo that's really cool. That makes me more inclined to do survival, though I still probably won't.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I've been tossin up Discords like it's nobodies business, would anyone be interested in one?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
The new guy they bring in on the videos is a goofball.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Is it common practice to just lease technology licenses? Will I be able to play SE in 20 years or are a bunch of games going to flounder when development ceases?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
There was one going for a bit in the private game server subforum but I'm unsure of the status. Everything that I've read recently has pointed to the game being majorly broken with more than a small handfull of people playing.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Is ME as unstable as SE in MP?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Has anyone tested the new MP? I'm curious if the improvement is nominal or significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Trust noone, not even yourself.

Are MP servers better than they were a year or two ago? What population is the server you play on?

• Locked thread