Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Medieval Engineers just got a new game mode, Castle Siege:

quote:

Summary
We are introducing the Castle Siege mode! This is the first work-in-progress version of a new mode that will grow and expand as the game does. The mode has been created to introduce a fast-paced proving ground for your castle designs. You can play as an attacker or defender and either defend your castle from opponents’ raids or lead the attack to capture the castle. The maximum number of players that can be in the game is 6 at the moment, but this will increase later in the future.

Quick Guide
Defenders
- defenders spawn next to their castle at the start of the siege and have to run inside the castle, close the gates behind them and secure the area.
- Goal: defend your King statue for the set amount of time (default 30 minutes) or destroy the attackers’ respawn points (beds)
- your statue loses components with every defender’s death (30 respawns will destroy even undamaged statue)
- Castle Siege Map: Defender can always use the official map. If you want your own, or to tweak the official one, click on new world, custom world, select battlemap castle (the last scenario as of now), load it in creative and make the changes you want. Each object will add to the point count of the map. You can look at the count by pressing “l” and then selecting the checkbox Show construction count.
Attackers
- Goal: destroy the defenders King statue in time and do not lose all your spawn points (beds)
- Siege equipment: Each attacker leader selects blueprints he wants available for the battle in the "Plan Attack" button. Every blueprint has a point value. Attacker can only select blueprints up to this maximum point value set for attackers by the server.
- after the battle starts, the attacker leader has a short amount of time to place all your blueprints; if you forget to place some in the time limit, you won't have another chance.
NOTE: every blueprint made after 02_020 will be usable in battles. If you want your older creations to be usable, just place them in a creative world, copy them to a clipboard, select their name on the blueprint screen and press replace with clipboard.

Medieval Engineers dev blog post: Castle siege, Survival, Clans: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/06/guest-post-by-ondrej-petrzilka-medieval.html
Castle Siege map creation guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=458121318

Please send us your feedback about gameplay additions, balance suggestions and anything else you may feel that can be added to make Castle Siege even more fun! Thank you for your help and support.

Features
- Castle Siege mode

Fixes
- fixed ropes synchronization on projectiles equipped from containers
- fixed switched impact sounds switch when wooden stairs were placed aside to the stone cube blocks
- fixed unbalanced strength of host
- improved mobility of an engineer
- fixed small grids with ropes exploding when you erase/add blocks
- fixed issue where clients were not able to push small grids (carts and trebuchets) as well as server

EDIT 06/10/2015:
Update 02.020.023
- fixed crash when loading blueprint
- generated blocks now does not cost siege points
- voxel volume change is now visible

Patch notes video explaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxDpN1-w80

Also, there's a new blog post with the outline for their plans for Medieval.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Heat and radioactive waste comes to mind. How does SS13 handle it?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Effectiveness modules on assemblers means that it consumes less ore per component assembled, right?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

D'oh

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slap vertical thrusters on it. :sr1:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Has anyone managed to work out a decent mapping for gamepads?

I really want to get back into this, btw, I'm just waiting for planets, and goddamn it's taking a long time. :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

Construction components now take 4 seconds to be assembled

gently caress yeah

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

Basetagon Mk 2 is about as finished as it's going to get for the moment.

It looks like a robot dude wearing one of those Asian straw hats.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I still can't understand what exactly you are trying to do.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh. That.

So, I have a setup that does that, and I really didn't have to worry about hops and poo poo like that. I think you are overcomplicating somewhere.

My setup was something like this:

code:
Input --> Refinery ores pusher -> refineries -> Refinery ingots pusher ---> Assemblers -> Components pusher -> Output
       |                                                               |
       -> Furnace ores pusher  -> furnaces -> Furnace ingots pusher ---
I really didn't want to put another set of pushers after the refineries or the arc furnaces, but the refineries would pull ores from the arc furnaces' inventories.

Also, add containers as buffers liberally. I have a small one before the ore split, another small one before the refineries, another small before the furnaces and one large container before the assemblers.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's the scrubbiest way, though. :colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

Yeah it's totally scrubby because it works perfectly and doesn't require stupid bulky bullshit and building your system around item flow

:thejoke:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I made an effort to try making something that wasn't stuffed with 20-30 mods, so have an expandable space station

That's so cool. The landing pad stage reminds me of the TIE Fighter stations.

How does the astronaut move between the modules? Vertical shafts?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If your ships don't have the ejector located at back so it looks like the ship is pooping stone then I don't even.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check the shiny new buglist in the OP :v:. But yeah, there is some weird massive drain on O2 and suit energy since the last patch.

Nice. You should add that in a quote that or something, so it pops out better from the rest of the post.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My base is in the middle of an asteroid. :gonk:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just keep telling yourself that clinking sound is just debris banging on the outer hull. Repeatedly in a pattern.. In lots of little patterns moving towards the airlock door...

:v:: "What's up with this rain? I thought we were protected inside the asteroid."
:raise:: "There's no rain in space."

:v: and :raise:: ":gonk:"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm finally finding some spare time to play SE again and my god, is it finally running smooth or what?

I also just found that you can play SE with a controller, and the default mapping is pretty nice, FWIW.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously why does the planet need to create 50kg balls of ice out of seemingly nowhere for no reason and then hurl them at random places from a cloudless sky?

What the gently caress, nature?

gently caress the ocean sky

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's pretty annoying that the large asteroids are partially transparent and the moving sun is now back to killing my performance.

As for hydrogen, the boosters sounds cool, but yeah, the jetpack fuel is pretty crap. I hope Keen at least enlarges the astronaut carrying capacity to compensate. And I also hope that you get 2 units of hydrogen for every unit of oxygen. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering that apparently ships don't turn transparent and show their interiors past a certain distance anymore according to the bug forum, I'm guessing it was a general pass to fix LOD in general and they hosed up something bad.

Incredible, because last week it was pretty much perfect.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hotfix dropped. The asteroid LOD is back to normal.

Is there patch notes for hotfixes?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Are the new sliding doors bugged?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy, can you double-check the mods that your hangar bay module uses?

I pasted it on my world and the game complained that some blocks are missing. It's nothing critical, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, that one.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks. :v:

I feel like I'm running in circles trying to build that asteroid base on survival. It's always way more cramped than I had imagined, and when I build a bigger room, it takes a lot more space and a lot more materials Steel plates. And the interiors are all just the plain and boring armor blocks.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

But then I will have squishy interior walls exposed to the outside. :ohdear:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's just me or the yellow interaction boxes kinda screwy when you are hovering with your jetpack.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nobody uses Small Ship Small Containers in their miners for ore storage, right?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I can't for the life of me make a ship using large drills that can reliably go through an asteroid without getting stuck, even while coasting along at 0.5m/s, intertial dampners on, reverse thrusters disabled.

I am just going to give up and use modded drills.

Not that it particularly matters i suppose since I generally just use a small ship with a bunch of drills to mine in survival.

I haven't tested myself, but if you still prefer to not go full humongous drill yet, you should probably check [u]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309724427]this[/url] out.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Make one of the sides hinged and we can start talking. :colbert:

Kidding, it's pretty rad.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Speaking of connectors, apparently they are still applying force even when one of the ends are turned off.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What happened with dampeners in the update? Or is my workship too heavy now? Seems like my shop just doesn't want to stop anymore.

Yeah, it's probably too heavymassive for your thrusters. Ship acceleration now takes in account the ship's mass and the dampener applies only the same amount of thrust as the manual acceleration.

But fret not! I made a thing to calculate the required number of thrusters for a ship with certain components. If this turns out to be useful for someone else I could make a nicer webpage for this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That looks great.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's no orbital mechanics, right?

Also,

quote:

- you have to start new world with planets enabled

RIP asteroid base. You were a good save since you were created, when oxygen wasn't even a thing. :unsmith:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mortvert posted:

Yay, I finally have a beefy enough PC to run SE with planets on high details. (Or run SE in general.)

What are some good mods to grab, beside the ones mentioned in OP?

And for some goddamn reason, all attempts at planetary miners end up in disaster for me. (Either it ends up too heavy after filling a quarter of medium cargo container with ore or it end up going too fast and not slowing fast enough to not crash into my goddamn base.)
Are there any guides/tips/something on how to not suck when building planetside ships?

If you want to be more precise, I made a sheet that can calculate how many (Ion) Thrusters you ship should need.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rIPQnK-NcY-5AmA5wUToPeuQHKESFJ5V1cVaAFBzNlQ/edit?usp=sharing

Look at the Chelonetida and Hymenoptera tabs to see how you would use it. The Definitions tab is just calculating how massive a container full of Steel Plates (the densest component) or ores would be, the thrusters' output in N and the target acceleration.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just balls to the walls, as you said. But there's multi-block building and I want that for SE. :saddowns:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Wait, what, how? :stare:

You also need to have a component storage connected to the bottom of the cockpit for it to work.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Killdozer style.

Here's hoping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think your brain took a poo poo here.

• Locked thread