Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I got the game from the recent sale, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. The core gameplay is amazing, minus a bit of jankiness here and there. My biggest gripe is that there's very little reason to actually go to planets, and when you do they're mostly empty. All of the ores are available in space, and in fact one of them (platinum) is only available away from planets. I've seen a couple of mods that solve these problems, like one that makes various ores only available on certain planets (chart of ore availability), and one that adds random structures on planet surfaces, but does anyone have some suggestions for mods to make planets more useful in survival? Do ore mods work if I load them into a world I've already started?

Also, does anyone have experience playing with high ping? I'm in Asia and I tried playing with friends in the eastern US and UK and they said it was effectively unplayable while I was hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Look a few posts up.

I recently released SEAMIN which was made exactly for that reason. Start on earth, unlock blocks till you can finally leave and get into space, visit lava planet, and then eventually unlock mostly everything and a ridiculously huge and difficult pirate base found on the alien planet that holds a large reactor that doesn't need fuel. I've made a bunch of custom pirate bases for it and everything. It also works with any ore mods you want. Ore modding is surprisingly easy to do, and you can add/remove them in excising worlds with almost no problem.

If nothing else, you can check out what mods are included in it and see what you like.

I saw it, but I was worried about losing the 10 or so hours of progress I've made in my current run. I also like the idea of the grind-to-learn system but feel it's too restrictive. Mods can be turned off, and I suppose I could go into my current save in creative mode, copy my base and (two) ships, paste them into your modset, and switch back to survival from there. I don't think there'd be any problem with that, would there?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Multiplayer? During my tests, the start pods was stable as a rock.

As for the rover, I suppose I could add some build instructions to help out a bit..

I'd love to see the LP! Be sure to post about it!

Got the modpack working and played for a few hours on my base I copy-pasted from another save. +1 for the starting ship being possessed by the clang, and wolves (not sure about spiders) being completely broken right now. The patch released today may have fixed the NPC speed bug. Seems like the multiplayer lag I was talking about earlier was caused by a bug fixed in the same patch.

I disabled the "grind to learn" mod for personal preference, but I'll still follow along on the intended progression path and post my impressions as I play through it. Looking forward to having something to work towards in survival.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
A couple questions:
  • Can you add blocks at angles that don't snap to grid? I want to put some LCDs in front of my small ship cockpit, but it's either hard to read while flat or gets in the way at 90 degree angles.
  • What's the difference between a text LCD and a normal LCD?
  • Is there a way to add small blocks to a large grid without using connectors?
  • Is there a list or explanation somewhere of block HP values and weights and how damage works? The wiki only has weight values. I want to compare the weight vs armor of light and heavy armor and some other blocks.
  • Does adding a bunch of small ships to a large one via connectors risk the wrath of Lord Clang?
Thanks for the help.

I've got a good game going on the survival modpack posted earlier. I have a good, if half-unfinished base going. My newest addition is a hangar where I plan to keep a couple of my small ships. I'm thinking about setting up a projector and welders for each ship, and just being able to print a new one with a press of a button should something happen to it.

• Locked thread